|This article contains significant spoilers about major events concerning this person. It is likely you will be spoiled if you have not read all the manga released to date. To find out what pages will be safe for you to read, please consult our wiki spoiler policy.|
|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on December 17, 2011|
|Japanese name:||降谷 零|
Café Poirot worker
National Police Agency Security Bureau Planning Chiyoda Division Agent
Rei-kun (Childhood nickname)
|First appearance:||Manga: File 793|
Anime: Episode 667
|Cases solved:||8 (1 as Scar Akai)|
|Keyhole number:||Volume 76|
|Japanese voice:||Tohru Furuya|
Mariya Ise (child)
|English voice:||Kyle McCarley|
Rei Furuya (降谷 零 Furuya Rei), also known as Tooru Amuro (安室 透 Amuro Tōru) and Bourbon (バーボン Bābon), is a National Police Agency Security Bureau Security Planning, Chiyoda Division agent working undercover in the Black Organization in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan. He is a recently dispatched operative who specializes in deduction and intelligence gathering and frequently works with Vermouth. At present, Rei poses as a private detective who works as a waiter at Café Poirot and is Kogoro's apprentice.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Appellations
- 6 Mission
- 7 Plot overview
- 8 Non-canon plot overview
- 9 Hints that Tooru Amuro was Bourbon
- 10 Relationships analysis
- 10.1 Family and friends
- 10.2 Black Organization
- 10.3 Others
- 11 Speculation
- 12 Name origin
- 13 Quotes
- 14 In other languages
- 15 Trivia
- 16 See also
- 17 References
Little is known about Rei Furuya as a PSB agent. Most of his appearances are as the Café Poirot waiter and private eye Tooru Amuro, or as the Black Organization operative Bourbon.
Rei makes his first appearance as Tooru Amuro when acting as a private investigator. He meets Conan and the Mouris while disguised as a waiter in order to help a client with a case. When Sleeping Kogoro appears to solve a case relating to his client before he can, he claims he wants to learn from Kogoro. Rei succeeds in becoming his apprentice by offering him a hefty tuition fee as an incentive . Thus, he begins working at Café Poirot, right under the Mouri Detective Agency, to remain close to Kogoro . Presently, he continues to work under this cover.
Bourbon is first mentioned when Kir reports that a new Organization member is on the move, with the goal of capturing the escaped scientist Shiho Miyano. Kir reports that Bourbon has excellent information gathering skills and keen insight. However, Bourbon's first actual appearance is when disguised as Scar Akai in order to determine the veracity of Akai Shuichi's death.
Currently, Rei's main appearance as a PSB agent is during the Scarlet Showdown, when he orders around subordinates during the confrontation with Yusaku Kudo (who was disguised as Subaru Okiya). He additionally gives an order to a PSB subordinate, Yuya Kazami, during Haibara's Lost Phone Strap case.
As a child, it is likely that Rei often got into fights. During the Tense Tea Party case, Rei is shown in a flashback sequence with Elena Miyano. During this flashback, Elena chides Rei for fighting and implies that she has treated his injuries more than once. She additionally calls herself 'sensei', suggesting that Rei had a teacher or doctor-like relationship with her. During the Black Bunny's Club case, it is revealed that he is half Japanese, which was the main reason for him to get bullied and involved in many fights.
He is known to have ties with other members of the Miyano family. In the Jet-Black Mystery Train case, he mentions that he has met Shiho Miyano's parents, Elena and Atsushi Miyano, as well as her sister Akemi.
At some point in the past, Rei began inflitrating the Black Organization for the PSB, eventually gaining the codename Bourbon. In the Organization, he works as an agent specializing in deduction and information gathering. Gin even goes as far to call him a 'great detective like Sherlock Holmes'.
Rivalry with Shuichi Akai
During his time in the Organization, at some point Rei became the rival of Shuichi Akai (alias Dai Moroboshi), he considered Shuichi as a worthy opponent, wanted to compare his capacity with Shuichi and thinks that he is the only one capable of defeating Shuichi. Despite the rivalry, they may have still worked well together. During the Unfriendly Girls Band case, Masumi Sera mentions that she spotted Rei, Shuichi, and Hiromitsu on the same train platform. As Shuichi and Hiromitsu were holding instrument bags that may have held rifles, it is possible that they were on a mission together. Rei additionally suspected that Shuichi was a spy for the FBI, which turned out to be the case.
Rei's animosity towards Akai Shuichi appears to stem from the death of Hiromitsu, a fellow spy from the PSB and his childhood friend. At some point in the past, Hiromitsu was found out as a NOC and confronted by Shuichi on top of a rooftop. During this confrontation, Hiromitsu stole away Shuichi's gun and attempted to commit suicide with it. While Shuichi succeeded in talking him down him temporarily, the sound of Rei's steps coming up the stairs distracted Shuichi, allowing Hiromitsu to commit suicide. And so Shuichi, not knowing that Rei was a fellow NOC, pretended that he had been the one to kill Hiromitsu.
While Rei is aware that Hiromitsu committed suicide, he don't think it is because of the sound from his steps, believes that Shuichi forced or pressured Hiromitsu into doing it. Thus, he still blames Shuichi for Scotch's death.
Rei has a cheerful personality. He is also generous, bringing a plate of sandwiches for the detective agency bought with his money. In more serious situations, he seems to be patient, keeping calm even while others are abusing him. Although somewhat of a "cool type", he does not hide his emotions and is quite expressive. Like other detectives in Detective Conan, he enjoys presenting his deductions about cases to others. Kogoro calls him "effeminate".
Rei has a darker side. He is manipulative, tricking others into performing certain actions so he can gather information. He favors using psychological traps and catching his enemies offguard. Rei can also be extremely cruel in the pursuit of goals. He planned to run over and hospitalize an elementary school teacher with his car in order to lure out FBI agents, and he would have allowed a suspect destroy his exonerating evidence in order to test Kogoro. Rei alternates between going out of his way to care about the wellbeing others and ignoring them when it is inconvenient. As Scar Akai, he saved Conan at the Teito bank heist, but neglected to inform Ran and Kogoro later when he noticed that Conan might have been kidnapped by a murderer in Detectives' Nocturne.
Gin says Bourbon has a secretive personality like Vermouth, and that no one can ever guess what he's up to or what he will do. Vodka says that Bourbon hates Shuichi Akai even more than Gin does, presumably because Rei thinks that Akai killed Scotch. Bourbon believes he is the only person capable of killing Akai. Gin said that if Bourbon found out Akai was alive, he would surely boast that his suspicion was correct. Gin and Bourbon probably don't get along and they don't seem to communicate with one another.
Rei is a good-looking man (claimed by Sonoko and Ayumi) with dark skin, lighter than, but closer to Heiji's color and has brown hair  He wears glasses at first, but it is unknown if he actually needs them because he was using them to conceal his identity at the time and takes them off midway through the case and has not had them on since. Unlike other Black Organization members, he mostly dresses casually with little black.
Deduction and intelligence
Rei is a good detective with excellent information gathering skills. He is noted by Kir as a threatening member of the Black Organization with keen insight. As Rei remains undercover as Kogoro's apprentice, he is not as flashy in showing his true deduction skills, instead leading Kogoro with hints to reach conclusions. His friend, Wataru Date, said Rei was the smartest student at the police academy.
Keen Observation Skills
He claimed that he always knew that Akai was an 'FBI Dog,' which shows that he may have the observation skills to detect fellow NOCs, who infiltrated the Black Organization.
He obviously knew Scotch was, since they both came from the same organization.
In The Darkest Nightmare, Curaçao infiltrated the Public Security Bureau in order to discover their Black Organization NOC List. It not only listed Rei, himself as code name Bourbon, but the following undercover NOCs:
MI6 -Stout -Male
BND -Reisling -Leona Buchholz -Female
CSIS -Aquavit -Male
FBI -Rye -Moroboshi Dai -Akai Shuichi -Male
CIA -Kir -Mizunashi Rena -Hondou Hidemi -Female
NPA -Bourbon -Amuro Tooru -Furuya Rei -Male
Obviously, Rei's name would be on that list, since it his own bureau, although how did they find out about all of the other NOCs from various countries, and agencies, unless Rei told his Japanese Public Security Agency his suspicions on these other code named Black Organization Operatives, and they investigated them, and discovered that they were other Nocs, and chose to include them in one Black Organization NOC Database.
It sounds like what they did, which did endanger fellow NOCs.
Thank goodness, it did not include a deceased or Living category, otherwise, it would have allowed the Black Organization to discover that Akai is alive and well.
He used these skills when he was walking around Jodie, Camel, and Masumi as Scar Akai, since he was disguised as Akai with a burn mark near his right eye in order to discover if Shuichi was alive or dead, however it did not allow him to figure out the truth, since none of those three were let in on the secret at the time, so they all reacted like they saw a ghost.
By the way, his own observation skills is what allowed him to figure out that Conan was the puppeteer behind Sleeping Kogoro in Episode 706 Bourbon Figures it Out, which is when he began investigating Conan.
In Episode 734 Jodie's Memories and the Cherry Blossom Viewing Trap, he placed a bug on Jodie, after she had already met up with Conan, and began listening to their conversation. Part of their conversation included mentioning how Conan helped them to discover the Black Organization spy, Rikumichi Kusuda, who had infiltrated the Haido Central Hospital in order to locate Kir.
This information allowed him to discover Kusada was the key to investigating Akai's death. After he discovered that Kusada commited suicide and shot himself in the head in his own car, all of the pieces fit together.
By investigating Conan, he began investigating those who have recently entered Conan's life, and the very next night with that newly discovered suicide information, appeared to confront Subaru Okiya (Kudo Yusaku in disguise), at the Kudo Residence.
His observation Skills also allowed him to see that Conan planned everything in Akai's Fake Death instance, including the conclusion of his sentence, stating that Conan predicted everything perfectly as it played out at Raiha Pass.
Rei is a capable driver, capable of precisely swinging his car in front of another during a high speed car chase in order to stop it with a controlled collision. In movie 22, Zero the Enforcer, his awesome driving skills are revealed better.
Rei is an excellent tennis player. He claimed he was a junior champion in middle school, but quit after he injured his shoulder. He offered to tutor Sonoko who had surpassed her teammates and friends.
When Conan received a concussion from an errant tennis racket, Rei "carried out the procedures pretty efficiently" before the doctor even arrived.
Rei seems to carry lockpicks with him and was able to lockpick a door fairly quickly. He claimed he learned it from a friend in a security company. Japan's law prohibits possession of any lock picking tools and carries a penalty of one year imprisonment or a 500,000 yen fine.
Rei is good at boxing, shown when a single punch to an attacker's gut causes him to spray blood from the mouth and collapse. At his introductory case, Rei displayed agility as he swiftly dodged a swinging punch from a customer. Rei also likely knows some Jujutsu from his time in police academy; Jujutsu is routinely taught to Tokyo police officers to aid in suspect immobilization and arrest. Wataru Date said Rei was the strongest student at the police academy.
Rei has pro-level guitar skills. 
Rei has a high capability to ski and even replaced Kogoro Mouri for professional ski lessons in Gunma. He can easily do off-track skiing also and jump off cliffs to save lost people. It is unknown if he can do snowboard also. 
Rei is noted to be a good chef and baker in his work at Poirot. He often invents new recipes for the café, perfecting them to the point where Conan often jokes that he is taking his waiter job too seriously.
Shuichi Akai Sense
Rei seems to be able to sense the presence of Shuichi Akai, whether he is Akai or disguised as Subaru. It probably became stronger, after Scotch's death, since he blames and is convinced that Akai murdered his friend, Scotch.
Bourbon's primary mission was to search for the escaped scientist Shiho Miyano, which the CIA spy Kir heard about and informed the FBI of. He also had a second secret mission fueled by his hunch that his archenemy Shuichi Akai should not have died so easily; he received the boss' permission to verify Shuichi's death. He approached the FBI as an Shuichi lookalike by using Vermouth's disguise help hoping to see if Akai was truly dead. He later apprenticed himself to Kogoro Mouri because Bourbon suspected the detective may be connected to Sherry. (Kogoro was previously suspected of being linked to Sherry because the tracker, microphone, and gum combo Gin found on Kir's shoe after the Ding Dong Dash case was the same style as the one Gin discovered in his car and assumed that Sherry planted it.)
Currently, Bourbon thinks Shiho has been killed, and had come to believe Shuichi was dead as well until a suspicious man shrouded by smoke threw a grenade by him on the Mystery Express. The sighting caused Bourbon to second guess himself and request that Vermouth show him the detailed files from before and after Shuichi's death again. Bourbon has also decided to continue as Kogoro's apprentice because he noticed Conan is the real brains behind "Sleeping Kogoro" and is curious.
One of the most important missions of Bourbon, however, is implied that he infiltrates and undermines the Black Organization like Kir. Shuichi Akai has revealed that Rei has been persevering to turn in Shuichi to the organization to earn higher ranks to approach more closely to the boss.
After the Shinichi Kudo's uproar has been calmed down by the blogger who claims that the Shinichi he saw was an illusion, and Heiji Hattori who claims that the one they saw was Soshi Okita instead, Rum sends en email to Bourbon giving him his new mission; to gather information about Shinichi Kudo, telling him to hurry up stating that "Time is money". Bourbon eventually accepts his new mission.
When Rei was a child he got in fights with other children. When this happened he would get bandaged up by Elena Miyano. It is revealed later that he would consistently pick fights so that he could see her and receive care. At one point she told him that she had to move far away and would not be able to bandage him up again. Because of his affiliation with Elena, he also met Akemi Miyano, Elena's first child, as a kid as well. The extent of their relationship is not yet revealed. As a child Rei had the nickname "Zero". In a chapter in Zero's tea time, Elena seems to be the one who taught him how to ride a bike.
National Police Association
With Hiromitsu Morofushi
Shuichi Akai (Rye), Rei Furuya (Bourbon), and Hiromitsu Morofushi (Scotch) were all members of the Black Organization at a point four years ago. Between four years ago and two years ago, Shuichi was found by Rei, standing over Hiromitsu's dead body holding a smoking gun. Ever since then Rei has blamed Shuichi and has sought out to kill him.
Before Rei Furuya appeared as Tooru Amuro, he disguised as Shuichi with a large burn with Vermouth's help. In this disguise, he approached the close friends of Shuichi Akai to gauge whether he was truly dead. Rei first used the disguise to approach Jodie Starling at Teito Bank, then Andre Camel at Beika Department Store, he also sends Kogoro a text message on his deduction of the current case using a borrowed phone from a bystander. Whether he did this out of concern for the hostages or his own well being is not mentioned.
After that Rei Furuya appeared as a private investigator on a case, where he runs into Kogoro and Conan. Through this interaction he became Kogoro's apprentice and monitored his actions by working at the Poirot Cafe below the Detective Agency. During this monitoring, he saw a video of Shiho Miyano with a Mystery Train Pass ring, resulting in a Black Organization attack in an attempt to kill her on the train. Later, through information gathered from Jodie, Takagi, and Camel, he managed to discover the truth behind Shuichi Akai's death. Now that he knows that knows he is alive, he wishes to kill Shuichi himself as a way of getting revenge for Shuichi killing Scotch.
Non-canon plot overview
This episode is a pre-story to Movie 20
This episode is a pre-story to Movie 22
Hints that Tooru Amuro was Bourbon
- The character Tooru Amuro is named after, Amuro Ray, is the mortal enemy of the character Shuichi Akai is named after, Char Aznable.
- He is a detective and very skilled at information gathering as Kir described.
- He is male as the codename Bourbon implies. The Black Organization codename pattern is that hard liquors are used for men's codenames, and Kir used a male specific pronoun to refer to Bourbon in the Department Store Bomber Case.
- He has a type of personality Gin would not like. Gin thinks Bourbon is irritating.
- When Rei offers Kogoro an unknown "tuition" per case Kogoro brings him on, the amount he offers is enough to get Kogoro excited and accept Rei as an apprentice without hesitation. This is strange because Rei would not be expected to have much money because he is young, lacks a formal agency, and works part time at restaurants in one of the most expensive cities in the world to live in.
- Unlike other detectives so far, Rei is a calculating type who chose avoidable courses of action (or non-action) that may have resulted in harm to others if things had gone slightly differently. In his introductory case, Rei doesn't intervene when a suspect he knows to be innocent is half a step from destroying his exonerating evidence because it seems Rei was testing Kogoro. Later, Rei noticed that Conan was alone with a murderer and considered that Conan might have been kidnapped, yet said nothing about it until others realized Conan and the murder suspect were gone.
- The timing of Bourbon's report to Vermouth about Shiho's appearance at Gunma suggested Rei was Bourbon. The other two Bourbon suspects, Subaru and Masumi, both had seen Haibara and were suspicious of her long before Bourbon reported Shiho to Vermouth, but the video from Gunma was the first time Rei had seen an image of Shiho or Haibara. Subaru had met Haibara in person in his first appearance case and multiple times afterward. Masumi had obtained a picture of Haibara via a reflection from Agasa's glasses in the Ayumi kidnapping case. Both of them should have reported to Vermouth if they were Bourbon soon after their respective encounters.
- He completely cut off communication with his close friend Wataru Date. A complete cutoff would not be necessary if Rei worked for a non-secret organization like the Tokyo Metropolitan Police District. It is more sensible that Rei was trying to protect Date from any potential dangers associated with infiltrating the Black Organization as a member of the National Police Agency Security Bureau Security Planning Division.
- Rei kept a bug detector with him - only Organization members have been shown to do this, while normal detectives like Conan do not.
- In 793, the first case in which appears Rei, the detective Sanji Haruoka order to the waiter (Rei himself) to bring him the Bourbon with ice.
- Amuro is the most likely suspect of the three (Subaru, Masumi, Amuro) to be Bourbon via the process of elimination. Subaru Okiya is not Bourbon, as Conan, who is normally a very careful person, invites him to stay as his Shinichi's home. If Subaru was someone that Conan did not know, it would be very unlikely that Conan would let him live in the Kudo's house and near Haibara (Sherry). Masumi Sera who looks like Shuichi Akai, is most likely a relative of the FBI agent and thus not an enemy. She also knew Conan was Shinichi, and thus must have deduced that shrinking was possible. Despite knowing this, Haibara was not threatened until her adult form was captured on video prior to the mystery train case.
- Of the three major suspects, only Amuro isn't particularly interested in Conan at first. Instead he kisses up to Kogoro. There was no reason for a member of the Black Organization to care about Conan since all the blame for Conan's prior meddling has fallen on Sherry, Kogoro, the FBI, or an unknown person. The other two suspects, Subaru and Masumi, either were interested in or knew Conan's true identity from the outset.
Hints that Scar Akai was Tooru Amuro/Bourbon
- For the former theory, please see Scar Akai is Bourbon Theory
While Scar Akai was played by Vermouth during the last appearance on the train, Bourbon had been Scar Akai during the three earlier appearances at Teito Bank, Beika Department Store, and outside Mouri Detective Agency. The evidence that Rei being Scar Akai these times was:
- In Scar Akai's appearance at the Beika Dept. Store, Rei was the only known Black Organization operative not seen at the same time time as Scar Akai. Gin began discussing Bourbon with Kir after seeing this Scar Akai.
- Rei was absent from his job at the Poirot when Scar Akai appeared outside the detective agency where Masumi was walking with Ran. This also notable because this occurred right after Masumi and Rei met and Rei found out Masumi was friends with Ran.
- In Scar Akai's appearances at the Teito Bank case, the Beika Dept Store, and outside Mouri Detective Agency, he never spoke in front of anyone who would know Shuichi's real voice, suggesting that this Scar Akai could not imitate voices like Vermouth and Kaito kid.
- Rei is right-handed like Scar Akai.
- He has the right body size, face shape, and height to disguise as Scar Akai.
- He has an interest in the Mouri Detective Agency which makes sense because Scar Akai saw fit to keep Kogoro's cellphone number with him.
- Rei's hypothetical disguise suggestion in 795, a knit cap and long windbreaker, are articles of clothing Shuichi Akai and Scar Akai wear respectively.
Hints that Tooru Amuro was a NPA undercover agent
- Tooru attended police academy and was close friends with police officer Wataru Date. Amuro cut off contact with Date to protect him from the Black Organization's investigation while infiltrating. Tooru later paid his respects at the grave of detective Wataru Date.
- Tooru reacted negatively to the presence of the FBI investigating illegally in Japan. He told them to "get out of his Japan" because they were infringing on his and the PSB's jurisdiction.
- Tooru was able to amass a number of assistants to help him capture the person he thought was Shuichi Akai despite not having the backing of the Black Organization with his plan. The assistants were members of the National Police Agency Security Bureau Security Planning Division.
Family and friends
Hiromitsu Morofushi and Rei Furuya were friends since childhood, and they attended the police academy together, along with Date, Hagiwara, and Matsuda. He work undercover as an undercover agent in the Black Organization under the codename Scotch, along with Rei. However, Hiromitsu got killed during undercover. His death appears to be caused by Shuichi Akai, which is the reason behind Rei's vendetta against him, and puts a much deeper perspective on Rei's hatred toward Akai.
Wataru Date and Rei Furuya were friends in the police academy; Rei was the top ranked student, while Date held second place. While Date went on to become an officer, Rei went somewhere else and fell out of contact with Date for unknown reasons. Date's last text to Rei asked him where he was and chided Rei to communicate once in a while. Rei was shown visiting Date's grave, and likely left a toothpick out of respect for Date; Date used them habitually. Date had called Rei for a gentleman like detective Takagi.
Kenji Hagiwara and Rei Furuya were friends in the police academy. Gosho also stated that Hagiwara is the one who taught Rei his driving skills.
Rei seems to respect Conan's intelligence and also seems to look out for Conan as well.
Before knowing he was Bourbon, Conan was generally friendly towards Rei.
He also overheard a conversation between Jodie and Conan about how Conan helped the FBI fight the Black Organization while Kir was at Haido Central Hospital, after he placed a bug inside of Jodie's sleeve, and he was close enough that he may have also picked up Conan revealing his identity of Bourbon to Jodie, and asking her to have the FBI investigate him, just prior to the bugging.
In the above picture at the shrine, when Conan was using Agasa for his deduction, Conan was standing behind Agasa. A disguised Bourbon was standing in front of the crowd, although he may have repositioned himself slightly see Conan speaking behind a wide awake 'Mouthing" Agasa.
He told Vermouth that Conan is a terrifying man.
During the Teacher Assault Case, Conan indirectly asks Rei if he is undercover in the Black Organization, whispering, "You are an enemy, right? Of the bad guys..." unaware that Rei was wearing a wire at the time, monitored by Vermouth. To throw off suspicion, Rei assures Conan in a very threatening manner that Conan was mistaken. After the Scarlet Showdown, however, Conan approaches Rei in Cafe Poirot and calls him a liar. Rei returns the favor, the two of them exchanging knowing smiles.
By The Heartfelt Strap, Conan trust Amuro enough that he actually used his Voice Changing Bow Tie in loudspeaker mode, in front of him at a beach.
As of The Unsolved Cocktail Case, when he broke into the Kudu home, so that he can find out information about Kudo Shinichi, as ordered by Rum, and had the altercation with an unmasked Akai, and both of Shinichi's parents turned on the light, so that the four of them can have a meeting. Currently, it is unknown what was discussed in that meeting, other than Conan planned it.
It seemed to become strained again in the movie: Zero the Enforcer, however that is due to Amuro had his subordinate, Yuya Kazami of the Japanese Secret Police- Public Security Bureau, plant phony incriminating evidence against Kogoro Mouri for a bombing incident.
Conan even placed a bug on Kazami, and that bug was forcefully removed in front of him by Amuro. It really appeared that Amuro was being a real thorn to Conan in that movie, although that was not Amuro's real intention at all.
That explosion could have been classified as an accident, which would have been impossible for the Public Security Bureau to investigate, so Amuro decided to give them a suspect. By involving Kogoro, he knew that Conan would begin investigating the explosion, which even he, himself would have a hard time investigating it himself, since he is a Black Organization Implant from the Japanese Secret Police Division-Public Security Bureau.
While Kogoro was still having legal problems, Amuro had Kazami get in contact with one of their lawyer collaborators for her to defend Kogoro, and get him off, not knowing that she hates the Public Security Bureau with a passion, and chose to betray them. In short, if the real culprit of the bombing was not found, Kogoro was not going to be getting off at all.
After a lot more appliances are going haywire, Conan came up with the fact that it is a IOT Terrorist Attack, and he even discovered the Culprit. Around this time, the Public Security Bureau allowed evidence to reach their prosecuter, that Mouri's computer may have been hacked, and he was released. (Considering the prosecuter knew it was planted in the first place, but they needed a suspect, however they also wanted to protect their suspect, which is why he was removed from the police station, and they chose to prosecute him almost as soon as he was arrested, so that they could move him to probably a more secure location.) Since they now know it is a terrorist attack, they no longer needed a phony suspect, so he was released from custody.
After Conan began his trek to meet up with the culprit, Amuro began following him, and they had a short talk, before Conan told him that he was on his way to meet the suspect.
Conan began skateboarding, followed by Amuro in his car. However, there was another IOT Terrorist attack, which affected cars and vehicles, which Amuro was caught up in. After his car did a stunt and stopped, he told Conan to continue on ahead.
However, in that movie, they both were each other's collaborators or cooperators at different times. Amuro was Conan's when it came stopping a space shuttle thing heading back to the planet from crashing into where the Tokyo Metropolitan Headquarters, and later, where everyone was really being evacuated to.
At the end of the movie, he explained the reason that they framed Kogoro, and everything else, but the framing was so that Conan can do what he was unable to do, which is to investigate. This way, he was able to use Conan as a Collaborator, and to rely on his true strength.
Although Conan stated, "You overestimate me, " it sound like their relationship is back on a positive note, before they headed opposite ways.
Rei tends to act ingratiating whenever Kogoro Mouri is around, and is especially fawning over his "Mouri-sensei". Kogoro is alternatively flattered by Rei's praise and annoyed with his effusive personality. Overall Kogoro tends to treat Rei flippantly despite being paid a handsome sum for the apprenticeship. When among members of the Black Organization, Rei doesn't speak too badly of Kogoro despite Kogoro's obvious incompetence. Rei is becoming more skilled at herding Kogoro through cases without having the older man realize that Rei is a far superior detective and is manipulating him for information.
Yuya Kazami is a Rei's direct subordinate who first appeared in the movie 20,The Darkest Nightmare. Recently, he has officially appeared in manga, as Rei's subordinate as well.
It was revealed in Movie 22 that Kuroda is Zero/Rei's superior in the Public Security Bureau. It was shown when he received orders from him through a phone call. Kuroda is also aware of his involvement with the Black Organisation; adressing him by his codename "Bourbon".
Since joining the Black Organization, Rei has always considered Shuichi Akai as a worthy rival, he want to compare his capacity with Shuichi and think he is the only one who could defeat Shuichi. Shuichi always show respect towards Rei, he admits Rei's capability and feels interest everytime he faces Rei, he also makes Rei feel quite confused sometimes. Their relationship is becoming more bitter and dramatic when Rei misunderstood Shuichi killed his best friend - Scotch, but actually the one who indirectly caused Scotch to die was Rei himself. Shuichi chooses to keep a secret, continues to let Rei misunderstand him instead of letting Rei know that painful truth. Over time, Shuichi appears to help and protect Rei in some cases, he gradually wants to compensate for the losses which Rei has experienced, he also reveals that he doesn't want to be Rei's enemy. For now, Rei is temporarily lowering his hatred to working well with Shuichi and Conan in destroying the Black Organization.
Vermouth and Bourbon keep close contact with one another, and seem to be closer to one another than, say, Bourbon and Gin. Bourbon specializes in intelligence gathering, so he likely belongs to the same reconnaissance division of the Black Organization as Vermouth. While it is still uncertain whether Bourbon is working directly under Vermouth, she seems to keep track of his actions during his missions at times, and he also often informs her about his discoveries or his future plans. Vermouth helped Bourbon create a disguise that looked like Akai so he can investigate his enemy's death. Later, she somehow helped him approach Kogoro because he suspected that the detective was in contact with Sherry. Bourbon made an unknown promise to Vermouth (in File 955, it was revealed that Bourbon promised Vermouth to not let any harm comes to Conan and Ran no matter what happens.) , and she calls to ask him if he will be upholding it after the car chase in Detectives' Nocturne.
The two have shown to be working together, not unlike Gin and Vodka, though the bond and trust between them are somewhat lacking. In addition to Bourbon's promise to Vermouth, he is also aware of her secret relationship to the boss, as noted at the end of the Scarlet Showdown. Bourbon utilizes this information to enlist Vermouth's assistance in his investigations, arranging for her secret to be released to the other members of the Organization if he is killed by her.
Rei was probably close with Elena Miyano as a child before she died. Elena would doctor Rei after he got into fights. She is also aware of his true name, calling him "Rei-kun, however this is shown to be before her husband went to work for the Carasuma Group, when she was 3 months pregnant for Miyano Shiho/ Haibara Ai/ Sherry."
Gin dislikes Bourbon's personality and finds him annoying for being secretive and always doing what he pleases. At the same time, Gin respects Bourbon's detective abilities. The two do not seem to be in contact with one another, as Gin has no idea what Bourbon is doing.
Akemi Miyano and Rei seem to have met at some point because Akemi told Shiho that Bourbon has a rivalry with Akai. The moment where they met for this time, although not specified if it was, in the flashback of The Unsolved Cocktail Case they are shown together, when a younger Akemi tries to bring Rei to her mother's office in order to heal up his wounds.
Rei doesn't seem to have any hostility towards Shiho unlike other Black Organization members. He attempted to capture the person he thought was her alive instead of trying to kill her, regretting he might have to resort to violence to do so. Rei says he had met Elena and Atsushi Miyano while they were alive. Rei does not know Shiho is Ai. During a car chase in Detectives' Nocturne, Shiho gets a strong feeling that member of the Black Organization was behind her, but she doesn't seem to pinpoint it to Rei's pursuing Mazda FD RX-7.
Rei first saw Masumi at a train station four years ago. He approached Scotch while he was teaching Masumi several notes on a base guitar. It is unknown whether he saw that she was connected to Shuichi at that time.
Much later when Conan gets kidnapped by a murderer they cross each-other's paths again. After both of them save Conan, he becomes very surprised to see her and wonders why she is there and presumably notices that she looks similar to Shuichi Akai. The next day Rei takes the day off from his job at Poirot cafe. In order to confirm his theory, Rei once again disguises himself as Scar Akai in order to gauge her reaction. Suddenly, Masumi sees him in the crowd ahead and just like Jodie and Camel, Masumi becomes just as shocked by his appearance. She runs after him, but he disappears before she can catch him. Ran wonders who Masumi was chasing, but Masumi replies she thought it was someone she knew. Masumi silently appends in her mind that it would be impossible for the man she was chasing to be the person she thinks it was. While Rei watches her from a little ahead, confirming his suspicion that Masumi is related to Akai.
During another case, Masumi recalls a time that she saw her brother in a train station four years ago with Scotch, who taught her the basics of a bass guitar. Masumi believes that the man who approached them at that time wearing a hat that hid his face must have been Rei. However, each time she asks him if they have met before, he avoids the question. When she announces aloud that her brother's name is Shuichi Akai, Rei inwardly comments that her brother had killed Scotch.
Despite his hatred toward Akai, it doesn't seem like he is letting it cloud his judgment toward Masumi
Gin has revealed that Bourbon is as secretive as Vermouth. Bourbon has shown a friendly relationship with Vermouth but not with other members so far. Bourbon even hid some details from Conan. It is possible that Bourbon, as well as Kir, is a member who doesn't like the Organization. Date himself revealed that Bourbon was the best man at the police academy, and that Bourbon was a gentleman like Takagi, too. Besides, at the end of Takagi's Kidnapping Case, Bourbon refers to Date as "my friend", which means he had no option but to cut all means of contact with him for his own safety.
Tooru Amuro has a Mobile Suit Gundam inspired name. He is named after the main protagonist Amuro Ray, and Amuro's voice actor Tohru Furuya. Amuro is also played by Furuya in the animated series. His real name, Rei Furuya, shares the same source.
|“||Well, a child's curiosity and a detective's spirit of inquiry... Do have much in common, after all...||„|
|“||As Expected of Hell Angel's daughter... You look very much alike... Pleased to meet you... Bourbon... That's my codename...||„|
|“||There are two men out there who are far scarier than me. And one of them... is still a child.||„|
Quotes about Rei
|“||Gin: Heh, Always doing as he pleases... that bastard irritates me as usual
Kir: Who do you mean?
|“||Well, it seems you've gained some trust for the time being... You will abide by the promise you made to me, right, Bourbon?||„|
In other languages
|Language||Given Name||Family Name|
|Japanese||零 Rei||降谷 Furuya|
|Chinese||零 Líng||降谷 Jiànggǔ|
|Korean||준영 Jun Young||강 Kang|
- Rei is a right-handed person.
- During an 2010 interview with Shuichi Ikeda, Gosho Aoyama said it would be interesting if a character from the Black Organization was named after Amuro Ray because Shuichi Akai was named after Char Aznable.
- Rei owns a white RX-7, the same car as Miwako Sato. The RX-7 is a reference to the white Gundam that the Mobile Suit Gundam character Amuro Ray piloted, the RX-78-2.
- Technically, Rei's first appearence in the anime was in the new opening theme song during the Kaitou Kid special in August 2012.
- His last name “Furuya” (降谷) is written with the Kanji for “descent, precipitate” and “valley”. “Rei” (零) means “zero”. “Amuro” (安室) can be translated as “quiet room”, and “Tōru” (透) means “transparent”.
- Rei Furuya's voice actor, Tohru Furuya, was the former husband of Vermouth's voice actress, Mami Koyama.
- In a poll held on June 5, 2020 by asking women age 20 to 40 who were their favourite Detective Conan character, Rei ranked seventh.
- Public Security Bureau
- Black Organization
- Scar Akai
- Zero's Tea Time
- Wild Police Story
- Bourbon (alcohol)
- ^ a b File:Postcard2016 40.jpg
- ^ http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-08-11/gundam-tohru-furuya-to-play-detective-conan-tohru-amuro
- ^ a b c d Volume 75, Files 9-11: "Private Eye"
- ^ a b Volume 60, File 3, Page 4: "Red, White and Yellow Case"
- ^ a b Volume 67, File 8 (704): "Department Store Bomber Case"
- ^ Volume 85, File 4 (897): "Scarlet Truth"
- ^ Volume 94, File 6 (998): "Search for the Phone Strap!"
- ^ a b c Volume 84, File 7 (889): "Zero"
- ^ a b c d Volume 90, File 6 (954): "Sanction of the Betrayal"
- ^ https://imgur.com/a/y2BAH
- ^ a b c Volume 78, File 7 (824): "Mystery Train (Final Destination)"
- ^ Volume 88, File 11 (937): "The Disappeared Clue"
- ^ a b c d e f Manga Volume 67, File 7, page 3: "The Truth Amidst the Snowstorm"
- ^ "Lets Talk with Gosho Day 2014" : Amuro-san’s white hair… is that dyed? Aah.Rather than white it’s brown. I can’t answer this. His dark skin too, there is a profound meaning behind it. (laughs)
- ^ a b Manga Volume 77, File 1 (807), pg 11: "The Strongest Senpai"
- ^ Manga Volume 78, File 8 (825), pg 7: "Special Coach"
- ^ Manga Volume 78, File 8 (825), pg 11: "Special Coach"
- ^ Manga Volume 78, File 8 (825), pg 15: "Special Coach"
- ^ Japan Possession of Lock-picking Tools Act - Wikipedia
- ^ 青山剛昌先生と話そうDAY (Let's talk with Aoyama Gosho-sensei day), held January 3, 2013
安室はボクシングをしている。 (Amuro is doing boxing.)
- ^ Manga Volume 80, File 4 (843), pg 15: "A parcel for Kudo-samakata"
- ^ Manga Volume 88, File 6 (936), pg 6: "Girls Band"
- ^ Zero's Tea Time file 24: Doggy!
- ^ Episode 913
- ^ Manga Volume 82, File 5, pg 7
- ^ Volume 84, File 890, Page 6
- ^ a b c Volume 78, File 10
- ^ a b File 843 (Volume 80
- ^ a b File 820 (Volume 78)
- ^ a b File 888 (Volume 84)
- ^ a b File 954: Sanction of the Betrayal (Volume 90)
- ^ a b c File 937
- ^ a b c d e File 936
- ^ a b c d e f g File 897 (Volume 85)
- ^ a b c d e File 955: Whereabouts of the Betrayal (Volume 90)
- ^ a b c d File 898 (Volume 85)
- ^ a b c File 895 (Volume 85)
- ^ Volume 85, File 2
- ^ Cite error: Invalid
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
- ^ Manga Volume 78, File 7 (824), pg 7: "Final Destination"
- ^ a b Manga Volume 78, File 10 (827), pg 16: "The key to solving the mystery"
- ^ Manga Volume 78, File 7 (824), pg 12: "Final Destination"
- ^ a b Manga Volume 78, File 7 (824), pg 16: "Final Destination"
- ^ Manga Volume 67, File 7, page 3: "The Truth Amidst the Snowstorm" Kir uses the masculine only term "kare" (彼) to refer to Bourbon instead of a gender neutral term.
- ^ Manga Volume 67, File 8, pages 13-14: "Silent Clash"
- ^ Manga File 824, pg 5: "Mystery Train: Final Destination"
- ^ Manga Volume 77, File 808, Page 16: "The Late Grave Visit"
- ^ File 1017
- ^ Detectives' Nocturne
- ^ File 818 (Bourbon was said to have told Vermouth about Sherry's video); File 827 (Bourbon tells Vermouth that he is now interested in "Sleeping Kogoro")
- ^ Sherry's Soliloquy http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/2609-file-793-private-eye/page__view__findpost__p__207297
- ^ http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/forum/topic/1555-translating-interviews/page__view__findpost__p__235287
- ^ http://www.kudonet.info/
- ^ http://wnsgur5941.blog.me/80143064942
- ^ The RX-78-2 Gundam itself used to be more white in the original animation, but late in production toy manufacturers requested for it to be more colorful. Although the animation was changed, the dialogue was not changed leading to many references to the original mostly white coloration. One example is Amuro's Zeon nickname the "White Devil".
- ^ https://www.reddit.com/r/OneTruthPrevails/comments/hjkevu/detective_conan_character_popularity_poll_june_5/
|Japanese Intelligence Agencies|
|NPA Security Bureau||Rei Furuya (Tooru Amuro)|
|Tokyo MPD Public Security Bureau||Hiromitsu Morofushi (deceased) • Yuya Kazami|
|Manga||Tea Poisoning Murder Case • Elementary Teacher Assault • Scarlet Showdown • Girls Band Murder Case • A song named ASACA|
|Anime||The Tense Tea Party • The Scarlet Return • The Unfriendly Girls Band • The Stage of Betrayal|
|Movies||The Darkest Nightmare • Zero the Enforcer|
|Related Articles||Tokyo Metropolitan Police • Law Enforcement • Minor law enforcement|
|Zero's Tea Time|
|Characters||Rei Furuya • Azusa Enomoto • Yuya Kazami • Haro • Reiko Tsuruyama • Vermouth • Hiromitsu Morofushi • Shuichi Akai • Conan Edogawa • Kogoro Mouri • Taii • Midori Kuriyama • List of Zero's Tea Time Characters|
|Key People||Takahiro Arai • Gosho Aoyama|
|Related Articles||Detective Conan (Manga) • Zero's Tea Time • Hanzawa the Criminal • Wild Police Story|
|Volumes||Volume 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5|
|Wild Police Story|
|Characters||Rei Furuya • Hiromitsu Morofushi • Wataru Date • Jinpei Matsuda • Kenji Hagiwara • Hachizo Onizuka • List of Wild Police Story Characters|
|Key People||Takahiro Arai • Gosho Aoyama|
|Related Articles||Detective Conan (Manga) • Zero's Tea Time • Hanzawa the Criminal|