|Japanese name:||脇田 兼則 |
|Date of birth:||unknown|
|First appearance:||Manga: Chapter 975 |
Anime: Episode 894
|Keyhole number:||Volume 97|
|Japanese voice:||Shigeru Chiba|
Kanenori Wakita (脇田 兼則 Wakita Kanenori) is a sushi chef at Beika Iroha Sushi in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan. He has relatively good deductive ability, a "true Tokyoite" personality, and an injury to his left eye.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Appellations
- 5 Plot overview
- 5.1 Interchanged Betting Ticket Case (Manga: 975-977, Anime: 894-895)
- 5.2 Rumi Wakasa's Neighbor Murder Case (Manga: 980, Anime: 896-897)
- 5.3 Crimson School Trip Case (Manga: 1005, Anime: 941)
- 5.4 Missing Maria Higashio Case (Manga: 1008, Anime: 941-942)
- 5.5 Nagano Snowy Mountains Case (Manga: 1027-1031, Anime: TBA)
- 6 Speculation
- 7 Trivia
- 8 Different looks
- 9 See also
According to himself, Wakita is a drifter who doesn't work in one place too long. He wanted to work the prep line at Beika Iroha Sushi but can't safely wield the knife until his left eye heals. He is currently serving customers.
Kanenori Wakita is a true edokko ("child of Tokyo") and has the stereotypical personality: forward, confrontational, and fond of justice and sushi.He has notably decent deductive skills as shown in his first appearance. He has loved mysteries since childhood, is a fan of Kogoro's, and even wants Kogoro to take him to a murder scene.
Wakita has a strong build, short black hair, a toothbrush mustache, prominent buck teeth, and soft medical dressing over his left eye.
Wakita correctly guesses which horse Kogoro must have bet on to cause him to visit Beika Iroha Sushi and order the highest quality servings. He also deduces it is very out of character for Kogoro. Conan, worried about Rum, wants to know what happened to Wakita's eye. Wakita offers, "Horrible stuff, that was! Wanna see?" which is hurriedly rejected by the hungry Mouris.
Wakita turns out to be a fan of Kogoro's and wants to know about Kogoro's cases. Kogoro tells him about the recent zombie murder, leaving out certain embarrassing details. A pickpocketing case then coincidentally falls into their laps. Wakita challenges Kogoro to a deduction contest: a race to figure out which customer stole the lady's million yen winning ticket first. Wakita cleverly and decisively comes up with excuses to keep all the suspects from leaving the sushi bar when they try to leave to avoid being accused. Although disappointed he won't get to see Kogoro in action, Wakita is also first to propose a solution, which is very, very nearly close to correct. Conan darts Kogoro to put the case to rest decisively. Wakita is impressed and asks to be Kogoro's disciple in exchange for discounts on sushi. Kogoro accepts, but it isn't clear if the response was serious.
He is seen reading a Nichiuri newspaper, but it's not showed what article he is reading. He comments that 'this one is quick-witted'.
He is seen talking to Professor Agasa, claiming that he came to deliver a sushi in his neighborhood, but couldn't due to a mass of paparazzi surrounding Shinichi's house. After he finished his conversation, he is seen reading an article in his phone, where the blogger who claimed that she saw Shinichi was nothing but an illusion, calming down the uproar about Shinichi.
Temporary eye injury
The fact Wakita still has aspirations to work at the sushi counter implies his eye wound is not permanent. The soft absorbent medical gauze he wears is typical of a temporary cover meant to promote healing than a permanent solution like a true eye-patch or darkened glasses.
Wakita is strong build, and 56 can be consider an old age, but there is nothing feminine about him. In file 1008, Rum messages Bourbon, stating that "Time is money", in English. In Japanese, however, this statement is said as "Toki wa kane nari", which can be rearranged to spell "Wakita Kanenori".
Hints Kanenori Wakita might be Rum
- He wears a patch over his left eye which may conceal a prosthetic.
- It seems he may be able to fit all three descriptions of Rum.
- He appears to have an interest in Sleeping Kogoro, just like Gin.
- Rum in text messages has twice used the English phrase "Time is money," which can be translated into Japanese as 時は金なり, whose Romanization "Toki wa kane nari" is an anagram of "Wakita Kanenori".
- He took an interest in reports of Shinichi Kudo's return and even tried to visit his house.
- He can be deceptive.
Hints Kanenori Wakita might not be Rum
- He says his eye injury is only temporary and expects it to fully heal.
- Incidentally Wakita's eye injury keeps him out of the kitchen of the restaurant, as his eye is not fully healed so he can't deal with knives. Which ensures that he can get out of the restaurant under the pretext of delivering food to customers.
- His interest in Kogoro and Shinichi may merely stem from his stated interest in solving mysteries or he needs some information on Kudou Shinichi for his own agenda.
- He served Highball to a customer, which contains whiskey, thus hinting he may be a Black Organization agent codenamed Whiskey rather than Rum.
- He said the horse Pirate's Spirit is a weak horse. Pirate's spirit is also a type of rum. This hints he may not think very highly of Rum.
- Two October 2016 Sherry's Soliloquy hints indicate that Wakita's character is a homage to one-eyed boxing coach Danpei Tange (丹下 段平 Tange Danpei) from the 1968 boxing manga series Ashita no Joe.
|Rum arc topics|
|Main interest||Renya Karasuma • Rum • Case from 17 years ago|
|Potential suspects||Hyoue Kuroda • Rumi Wakasa • Kanenori Wakita|
|Connections||Kohji Haneda • Asaka • Amanda Hughes • Tsutomu Akai|
|Related Articles||APTX 4869 • APTX 4869 Victim list • Rum arc timeline|
|Cases of interest||The Scarlet Return • Three First Discoverers • The Detective Boys in a Grove • Just Like a 17 Years Old Crime Scene • Soul Detective Murder Case • The Stage of Betrayal • Burning Tent Murder Case|