|This article contains significant spoilers about major events concerning this person. It is likely you will be spoiled if you have not read all the manga released to date. To find out what pages will be safe for you to read, please consult our wiki spoiler policy.|
|Japanese name:||若狭留美 |
|Date of birth:||unknown|
|Occupation:||Deputy Homeroom Teacher at Teitan Elementary school, Year 1 Class B|
|First appearance:||Manga: File 966 |
Anime: Episode 889
|Keyhole number:||Volume 91|
|Japanese voice:||Fumi Hirano|
Rumi Wakasa (若狭留美 Wakasa Rumi) is the new Deputy Homeroom Teacher at Teitan Elementary school for Year 1 Class B.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Abilities
- 5 Appellations
- 6 Plot overview
- 6.1 The Old Warehouse of Teitan Elementary School (Manga: 966-968, Anime: 889-890)
- 6.2 Rumi Wakasa's Neighbor Murder Case (Manga: 978-980, Anime: 896-897)
- 6.3 Burning Tent Murder Case (Manga: 987-989, Anime: 909-910)
- 6.4 Crimson School Trip Case (Manga: 1005, Anime: TBD)
- 6.5 Missing Maria Higashio Case (Manga: 1006-1008, Anime: TBD)
- 7 Non-canon plot overview
- 8 Relationships analysis
- 9 Suspicion of being Rum
- 10 Name origin
- 11 In other languages
- 12 See also
Due to an increase in the number of transfer students to Teitan Elementary school over the past year, they have hired new teachers. Rumi is the new Deputy Homeroom Teacher for Year 1 class B.
Her personality seems to be that of a well meaning but really clumsy and incapable teacher. She approached the Detective Boys on the grounds that she is scared of the old warehouse at the school and needed them to come with her. However, once she was out of sight of the Detective Boys, her personality changed dramatically to that of a skilled fighter with a scary face, where she rendered three assailants unconscious with a broom in what could have been seconds.
Her character design is very similar to Terumi Arai, the high school student and main protagonist in Tell Me A Lie.
Although not directly seen, it seems that she is a skilled fighter. It is still unknown what style she uses. She has also shown her reasoning and deductive abilities, giving hints to Conan to solve a case.
Sumiko Kobayashi introduces her class to the new Deputy Homeroom teacher, Rumi Wakasa. She appears to be a clumsy, shy and fearful person. Rumi approaches the Detective Boys for their help retrieving quicklime from the old warehouse in the school yard which causes them to come across a dead body. Over the course of the case Rumi uses her clumsiness to give hints to Conan on how to solve the case. Once she was out of their sight, her personality completely changed and she beat up a few robbers.
Rumi overhears an argument between her neighbor and his girlfriend, as she was leaving for school, and smiles. Later she accidently destroys a picture that was going to be used for a school play and she says that she will redraw it. Conan and the detective boys accompanied her to help. After they finish, Rumi treats them to dinner. But when they hear loud sounds from the neighbor, they goes over to check it out and finds a dead body and an unconscious man. Later back in Rumi's apartment, Conan finds a receipt that may prove that she knew the case would happen before hand and invited them there on purpose. Later Rumi incapacitates the culprit under the guise of falling over. The news crews outside happen to take a picture and Ayumi gives them Rumi's name. Hyoue Kuroda is shown reading the news article on his phone. Kanenori Wakita is shown reading a newspaper, but the article is not shown to us.
Rumi takes the Detective Boys camping. Conan is suspicious of her and thought of strange things that he noticed in her present. When they approach a group cooking curry over a fire near by, one of them mentions that he has an injured eye and nearly had to get a prosthetic eye. Rumi clenches up, and Conan notices her gripping something in her pocket. A little bit later one of the other campers is burned alive inside his own tent. Kuroda emerges from an adjacent tent and asks her whether the police should be called. However Rumi is standing in stunned silence, staring forward. When she snaps back to reality, Haibara seems to notice that Rumi can't see out of her right eye. Conan starts to wonder if Rumi is clumsy on purpose or that she cannot see so she is clumsy. When Kuroda seems to know the order that everyone introduced themselves in, despite originally claiming to have had earplugs in while sleeping. Rumi accuses him of spying on someone. Rumi has the Detective Boys build an acorn balance toy, which leads to the solution of the case. After Conan and Kuroda uncover the culprit, the culprit uses Ayumi as a hostage, Rumi manages to distract him long enough for Kuroda and Yuminaga to arrest him. Kuroda showed interest in the intimidating words that Rumi used to distract him. On the other hand, Conan becomes more suspicious of Rumi, and notices a strange object in her back pocket that has a shape similar to that of a Shogi piece.
At the end of the case, news of Shinichi being one of the detectives that had solved the case spread to the internet. Both Kuroda and Wakita were shown seeing the information on their phones. However, Rumi was shown sitting in the dark looking at the APTX victims list on her laptop. The names Shinichi Kudo and Kohji Haneda appear to be highlighted. Additionally this is the first time we see her without a shirt on and she has scars on her upper arms as well as her back.
Rumi makes an appearance in this case, asking Haibara about Shinichi and if Haibara has met Shinichi before. Later, a shogi piece that looks like promoted bishop is lying next to her computer, while she reads a blog.
Non-canon plot overview
Genta gets kidnapped at an eel vending fair and the Detective Boys, without Haibara, run after the kidnappers' car and embark Yumi and Naeko's car to chase them. After losing track of them, Conan remembered who the kidnappers were and remembered they used signals at the fair so they try to figure out what they tried to communicate. Then, Mitsuhiko remembered the burning tent case and the reference to the counting system. A flashback of Haibara and Rumi's leg was shown.
Conan Edogawa, Ai Haibara, and Detective Boys
Rumi is the new Deputy Homeroom teacher for Conan Edogawa, Ai Haibara, and the Detective Boys' class. She has approached them directly twice to lead them to the warehouse of the school that a robber group had used. Rumi is aware of three of Professor Agasa's gadgets given to the Detective Boys: the flashlight watch, the detective badge, and the tranquilizer dart. Among the Detective Boys, Rumi shows special interest in Conan for unknown reasons. In the old warehouse case , Rumi was only paying attention to Conan and purposelly uses clumsiness in order to give Conan the necessary hints to solve the case. When a murder case occured in her apartment, Conan found a receipt that has that day's morning and noticed she has bought additional plates and mugs. Conan eventually realised the reason behinds his Sensei's actions; Rumi sensed a murder might occur in her apartment and was from the very beginning planning to invite the Detective Boys, especially Conan so he would become involved in the case. It seems Rumi is somehow testing Conan's intelligence and skills for unknown reasons.
Sumiko Kobayashi is her superior as homeroom teacher.
Ryujiro Uematsu is the headmaster of her new school.
Hyoue Kuroda seems to have some knowledge about her. When he heard that she went camping with the Detective Boys, he comments that camping was something that she wouldn't do.
When Kuroda is investigating the Case from 17 years ago, he is making a connection between her and Kohji Haneda; suspecting that there is a mysterious relationship between the two. During the burning tent murder case, Rumi became stunned when she heard one of the suspects mentions "prosthetic eye". At the end of the case , Conan notices a strange object in her backpocket whose shape ressembles that of a Shogi piece, hinting that Rumi might be related to Kohji Haneda's Case as Kuroda suspected.
Suspicion of being Rum
Hints Rumi Wakasa might be Rum
- She appears to be blind in her right eye.
- When she heard someone say he nearly had to get a prosthetic for his eye because someone hit him, she grew silently furious and clenched a shogi-shaped object in her back pocket..
- Her silent fury seemed to trigger Haibara's Black Organization sense. Haibara picked up the scent even though she was facing away from Wakasa.
- She can change the way she comes across to others in an instant, and thus might be able to pull off presenting herself differently at different times and match all 3 descriptions.
- She is quite cunning and has deduction skills that surpass Conan's, to the point she's had to drop hints to move him along in the cases they've been on together.
- She took an interest in reports of Shinichi Kudo's return and looked up his name on the APTX-4869 victims list, which only agents of the Black Organization should have access to.
- In one case, she knew a murder was going to occur and did nothing to stop it, despite her fighting abilities. Instead, she found it convenient. In another case, she seemed to egg the culprit on to stab Ayumi and even offered to help, though this could have been a calculated strategy to save Ayumi by taking control of the situation away from and distracting the culprit.
- She mentions her favorite alcoholic beverage is whiskey, which seems to hint at the existence of a Black Organization agent codenamed Whiskey who she is interested in.
- She keeps a shogi piece with her.
- She works as an assistant teacher at an elementary school and yet can afford to live alone in a fancy high-rise apartment in Tokyo, next door to a pro golfer who could be expected to afford to pay 100 million yen in damages.
- In the anime, her voice actress is Fumi Hirano, who was also the voice of Lum Invader, where Lum is pronounced the same as Rum in Japanese. (See trivia section.)
- "ASACA RUM" >> "W(AKASA) (RUM)I"
Hints Rumi Wakasa might not be Rum
- She appears to have either her original right eye or a realistic prosthetic which is not apparent to others.
- The descriptions of Rum were all of a man, but she is a woman.
- Her name "Wakasa Rumi" seems too obvious.
- Like Kuroda, she perhaps should have recognized Haibara as Sherry and acted against her.
- Despite the activation of her Black Organization sense, Haibara says she likes Wakasa.
Most likely her name is meant to resemble "ASAKA RUM", the code from Kohji Haneda's death from 17 years ago, with the addition of a W and an I.
In other languages
|Rum arc topics|
|Main interest||Renya Karasuma • Rum • Case from 17 years ago|
|Potential suspects||Hyoue Kuroda • Rumi Wakasa • Kanenori Wakita|
|Connections||Kohji Haneda • Asaka • Amanda Hughes • Tsutomu Akai|
|Related Articles||APTX 4869 • APTX 4869 Victim list • Rum arc timeline|
|Cases of interest||The Scarlet Return • Three First Discoverers • The Detective Boys in a Grove • Just Like a 17 Years Old Crime Scene • Soul Detective Murder Case • The Stage of Betrayal • Burning Tent Murder Case|