|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on January 14, 2012|
|Japanese name:||阿笠 博士 |
|English name:||Hershel Agasa|
|Height:||160 cm (5'3")|
|Date of birth:||Unknown|
|Relatives:||Kurisuke Agasa (great-uncle, deceased) |
Teiko Agasa (great-aunt, deceased)
Unnamed cousin's granddaughter
|Nicknames:||Professor (Ai Haibara) |
Professor Agasa (Conan Edogawa, Detective Boys), Professor Sunshine (Yusaku Kudo)
|Aliases:||Professor Agasa |
|First appearance:||Manga: File 2 |
Anime: Episode 1
|Keyhole number:||Volume 5|
|Japanese voice:||Kenichi Ogata |
Kazunari Tanaka (young)
|English voice:||Bill Flynn (FUNimation) |
Michael Sorich (Bang Zoom!)
|Drama actor:||Ryosei Tayama|
Hiroshi Agasa (阿笠 博士 Agasa Hiroshi), most commonly referred to as Professor Agasa (阿笠博士 Agasa-hakase), and known in the Funimation dub as Hershel Agasa, is a character in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan. Agasa is Shinichi Kudo's next door neighbor and family friend. The first person to learn that Conan Edogawa is actually Shinichi, he invented all of Conan's special gadgets as well as the Detective Boys' badges and flashlight-watches.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appearance
- 4 Appellations
- 5 Plot overview
- 5.1 The Great Detective Turned Small (Manga: 002-005, Anime: 002)
- 5.2 The Bloody Pop Idol (Manga: 006-009, Anime: 003)
- 5.3 The Mysterious Shadowing Case (Manga: 010-012, Anime: 038)
- 5.4 1 Billion Yen Robbery Case (Manga: 013-016, Anime: 013)
- 5.5 Hatamoto Family Murder Case (Manga: 020-025, Anime: 022-023)
- 5.6 Monthly Presents Case (Manga: 026-029, Anime: 007)
- 5.7 Shinkansen Bomb Case (Manga: 033-035, Anime: 005)
- 5.8 Conan Edogawa Kidnapping Case (Manga: 049-050 and 051, Anime: 043)
- 5.9 Mysterious Brothers Case (Manga: 056-058, Anime: 015)
- 5.10 Pro Soccer Player Case (Manga: 068-070 and 071, Anime: 010)
- 5.11 Night Baron Murder Case (Manga: 072-077, Anime: 068-070)
- 5.12 Trapped Ayumi Case (Manga: 081-083, Anime: 012)
- 5.13 Library Murder Case (Manga: 097-098, Anime: 050)
- 5.14 Mist Tengu Murder Case (Manga: 108-110, Anime: 052)
- 5.15 Moon, Star, Sun Code Case (Manga: 111-113, Anime: 163-164)
- 5.16 Gomera Murder Case (Manga: 128-130, Anime: 063)
- 5.17 Ski Lodge Case (Manga: 139-143, Anime: 084-085)
- 5.18 Kaitou Kid and the Black Star (Manga: 156-159, Anime: 076)
- 5.19 University Professor Murder Case (Manga: 179-180 and 181, Anime: 129)
- 5.20 Reunion with the Black Organization (Manga: 238-242, Anime: 176-178)
- 5.21 The Desperate Revival: Dangerous Cave Case (Manga: 251-253 and 254, Anime: 188-190)
- 5.22 Bus Hijacking Case (Manga: 287-289, Anime: 230-231)
- 5.23 Kidnapped Tourist Case (Manga: 325-327, Anime: 258-259)
- 5.24 English Teacher vs. Great Detective of the West (Manga: 341-343, Anime: 277-278)
- 5.25 Soccer Supporters Case (Manga: 344-346, Anime: 279-280)
- 5.26 Disappearing Mitsuhiko Case (Manga" 358-360, Anime: 289-290)
- 5.27 Meeting with Vodka (Manga: 380-382 and 383, Anime: 309-311)
- 5.28 A Torn Friendship (Manga: 398-400, Anime: 329-330)
- 5.29 Poisoned Fisherman (Manga: 460-462, Anime: 366-367)
- 5.30 Shinichi Kudo's Childhood Adventure (Manga: 570-573, Anime: 473)
- 5.31 Luna Memoria (Manga: 963-965, Anime: 887-888)
- 6 Non-canon plot overview
- 7 Relationships analysis
- 8 Character popularity
- 9 Quizzes
- 10 Name origin
- 11 Different looks
- 12 Quotes
- 13 Trivia
- 14 In other languages
- 15 Gallery
- 16 See also
- 17 References
Hiroshi Agasa is an inventor and Shinichi's next-door neighbor. He makes his living with a wide number of patents and inventions, including video games (of which the Detective Boys are enthusiastic test players). While many of his inventions are useless or have even damaged his in-house research laboratory, Agasa has been successful enough to live in a large house and even rebuild it when necessary. He has been a friend of Shinichi and Ran since their childhood years.
After Shinichi was shrunk by the APTX 4869, the first person he met and entrusted himself to was Agasa. After having been convinced that the little boy was Shinichi, Agasa was also the first one to advise Shinichi to exercise caution in his pursuit of the Black Organization. He also helped Shinichi in establishing his new identity as Conan Edogawa, including constructing several gadgets which help Shinichi in carrying on his detective work surreptitiously. In order to perfect Conan's cover, he also enrolled him in Teitan Elementary and thus came to know the children who would form the Detective Boys. When Shiho Miyano fled the clutches of the Black Organization, she fled to Shinichi's house but collapsed from exhaustion near Agasa's doorstep. Agasa subsequently took her in, learned about her true identity and helped her establish her new identity as Ai Haibara. He also entrusted Shinichi's parents with the secret about what has happened to their son.
Ever since these beginnings, Agasa has been an invaluable friend for Shinichi and the Detective Boys as a confidant, paternal friend, and someone to hang out with. He often takes the children on trips, most of which turn into criminal cases instead.
Agasa owns a Volkswagen Beetle for at least 10 years, but it is quite unreliable and often breaks down in trips. At one point, he owns a Persian rug which can be sold for money to replace his Beetle, but since the rug was involved in a theft, the police is investigating and Agasa hasn't been able to sell it.
By knowing Shinichi and Shiho's identity, Agasa is aware of the existence of Black Organization as well as their crimes. While not confronting them directly, Agasa has been quite active in helping Shinichi and his allies planning against them. Agasa is entrusted by Shinichi when it comes to such cases.
Childhood and relatives
Agasa went to Teitan Elementary and then Okuho middle school. He met Fusae Kinoshita during sixth grade, though she moved away during the fall term and his family moved from Tokyo to the countryside soon after the term ended.
Agasa has a rich accountant uncle named Kurisuke Agasa who died 50 years before the present timeline at the age of 38. The uncle liked gadgets. Kurisuke's sister, Teiko, was alive until a year ago when she passed away at age 76. Agasa’s cousin’s granddaughter is of the right age to be introduced to Takagi.
Hiroshi Agasa is a jovial, caring and outgoing person and has many friends in his community, a fact which helped him in his covering up of Conan's and Haibara's true origins (he simply claims that they are the children of his friends and acquaintances). Agasa is highly intelligent, having achieved at least one advanced degree and managing to invent a slew of useful gadgets. He is especially proud of his inventions, and their quality must have been recognized, since they have already been used during official events. While a bachelor, he is very paternal and enjoys the company of the Detective Boys. Agasa has a special love for pasta and tomato juice.
Agasa is an average size man with slightly-overweight frame. Looking somewhat older than his actual age, he is bald on the top of his head with the rest of his hair silver. He sports thick eyebrows and a mustache and a somewhat bulbous nose. He wears round glasses and is regularly seen in his lab attire
Invents: Voice-Changing Bowtie
Invents: Power-Enhancing Kick Shoes
Invents: Criminal Tracking Glasses
Invents: Stun-Gun Wristwatch
Agasa uses the Voice-Changing Bowtie in order to help Conan protect his secret identity from Ran.
Invents: Detective Boys Badge
Invents: Portable Bento Box Fax
Agasa signed himself and a friend up for a mystery tour, but the friend's daughter becomes sick, so he sends Conan, Ran, and Kogoro Mouri in his place.
Invents: Turbo Engine Skateboard
Conan, after realizing that baijiu, a type of Chinese alcohol, has some effect on his shrinking, gets Agasa to buy him more, but they learn he has built a tolerance.
Invents: Button Speaker
Invents: Voice-Changing pen, Anime version: Kamen Yaiba Voice Changer
Agasa takes the Detective Boys to his uncles house to uncover a treasure he had hidden, however they discover a second code that leads to a hidden attic.
First time that Conan uses Agasa's voice to solve a murder case using the Voice-Changing Bowtie.
Invents: Earring Cellphone
At Conan's request, Agasa looks through Yusaku's files to find information about a phantom thief from 18 years ago. He discovers that a "young novelist" had played around with the thief's title "1412" and ended up naming the thief "Kid". Conan spends the rest of the case trying to stop Kid from stealing the Suzuki family's Black Star gem.
A mysterious new student, Ai Haibara, at Conan's school reveals her self to be an agent of the Black Organization, Sherry (Shiho Miyano). She also claims to have sent Dr. Agasa to the next world. Conan races to Agasa's house to find him alive and distracted. It is then revealed that Haibara escaped from the Organization in by taking the Shrinking drug APTX and ran to Shinichi's house for protection, where Agasa found her and took her in. From this point forward she lives at Agasa's house.
Conan and Haibara encounter Gin's car on the street and plan a tracker. Conan, Haibara and Agasa follow the signal. Conan and Haibara find themselves at a funeral party where a murder occurs. During the process of solving the case, Haibara is kidnapped by a member of the Black Organization!
Agasa takes the Detective Boys on another camping trip. Conan, Ayumi, Genta, and Mitsuhiko wander off and end up exploring a cave where they witness some people disposing of a body. Conan ends up getting shot! Later, Agasa and Haibara end up realizing that the others are missing and contact the police.
Agasa and the Detective Boys board a bus and it is soon hijacked! Not only that, but Haibara senses that a member of the Black Organization is on board.
Agasa and the Detective Boys meet a strange tourist called James Black who gets kidnapped. At the same time Haibara and Conan notice they are being tailed by one of the men from the Bus Hijacking case.
Agasa calls Heiji Hattori in to help Conan. They begin to discuss all of the plot points so far. While Conan and Heiji go to investigate Jodie Saintemillion, Conan asks Agasa to search the internet for information concerning Chris Vineyard whom he suspects may be a member of the Black Organization.
Agasa reports to Conan on the information he discovered on Chris Vineyard. It turns out that the first time she stepped out into the public's eye was the day of her mother's, Sharon Vineyard, funeral. However, Agasa could not find much about the relationship between the mother and daughter.
Mitsuhiko disappears and it's up to Agasa and the Detective Boys to track him down. They trace his steps all the way to a forest in the mountains. There the bump into Detective Yamamura, who tells them that a serial killer, Ki'ichiro Numabuchi, is on the loose in the forest as well! As it turns out, Haibara may know something about this serial killer!
Invents: Anywhere Ball Dispensing Belt
Conan has obtained the digital diary of Suguru Itakura, someone who is connected to the Black Organization. He brings this digital diary to Agasa's place and discovers hidden text between entries. These hidden entries explain the interactions between Itakura and Tequila as well as a mystery woman who only spoke over the phone. They then discover that Itakura was planning to deliver a program to the Black Organization that week and decide to travel to Itakura's cabin to complete the transaction.
Agasa and the Detective Boys go on another camping trip. Conan questions Agasa more about the Itakura incident and whether or not he knew Atsushi Miyano, Haibara's father's name which he had recently just learned. Agasa reveals that he did know Dr. Miyano and his wife Elena Miyano who makes up the English side of Haibara's ethnicity.
This case marks Agasa's 53rd Birthday.
Conan narrates Shinichi and Ran's adventure from ten years before the present story-line to the Detective Boys and Sumiko Kobayashi. Agasa had played a vital part in that adventure, driving Shinichi and Ran to the indicated places and helping them decipher the codes.
Conan, Haibara and Agasa get invited by Jirokichi to solve a puzzle box that is in Kaitou Kid's sights. When they arrive they are met by Kogoro, Ran and Sonoko. At the end of the case it is revealed that Kaitou Kid choose Agasa as his disguise.
Non-canon plot overview
Shinichi Kudo/Conan Edogawa
Conan treats Agasa like an uncle. Due to the fact that they both share the secret behind Shinichi's transformation and knowledge about the Black Organization, Conan often comes to him when in trouble or seeking for help. Agasa creates the necessary gadgets for Shinichi to play Conan's role and works hard to ensure this secret identity is safe, even from Shinichi's close friends like Ran and Sonoko. Agasa has also acted as mouthpiece for Conan when deducing crimes if Kogoro Mouri is not around or it's not safe to tranquilize him. Agasa has been supportive of Shinichi and Ran's relationship. In private, Agasa calls Conan by his real name Shinichi. Sometimes he tends to slip and nearly exposes Shinichi's identity to public.
Since childhood, Ran and Shinichi would visit Agasa's house to play. While their relationship is not often showcased, Ran treats Agasa like an uncle or grandfather and trusts him with Conan. The professor seems to know when something is different and/or bothering Ran. Agasa has many times saved Ran, even using his body to block Ran from being shot. Seeing Agasa and the others getting hurt from being around her, she rans away to keep them safe. Agasa has been supportive of Shinichi and Ran's relationship and would often tease them both.
The relationship between Haibara and Professor Agasa is rather unusual, if not humorous. Despite what their actual (and apparent) ages are, Haibara often times acts more like a mother to the professor, constantly reminding him to watch what he eats. On several occasions, she has removed fattening foods from his reach, and is attempting to help get him into better shape. There have also been instances where she'll instinctively step in front of Agasa to protect him from danger. Out of all the people she's met, Haibara seems most comfortable about acting herself with Agasa; which might be attributed to the fact that he was the one who found her after she escaped the Black Organization, and took her in. Ai grows to love him like a real father and often tries to protect him above anyone else.
Though they only realized the fact some time later, Agasa knew her parents when they were still alive—especially her father, Atsushi Miyano—even though he didn't know at that time that they'd had children.
Unlike with Conan/Shinichi, both in public and in private, Agasa calls Haibara by her alias name Ai, even though he knows her real identity as Shiho Miyano.
Agasa and Yusaku are good friends.
Since Agasa's trips with Detective Boys often lead them to crime scenes, Agasa has met Megure frequently. Megure trusts and listens to Agasa's deduction (which actually comes from Conan using Voice Changing Bowtie, but Conan doesn't have to tranquilize Agasa). They are in good terms with each other, but at one point Megure remarks that Agasa has become a corpse magnet like Mouri.
For the same reasons, Takagi and Agasa meet frequently and are in good terms with each other.
Shuichi Akai/Subaru Okiya
In the story, Akai and Agasa meet for the first time after Akai fakes his death and becomes Subaru (Akai uses the Voice Changing Choker invented by Agasa to fake his voice as Subaru). Agasa eventually learns about Akai's secret identity and helps him with his disguise. On daily events, Subaru helps Agasa on his inventions or picking up the Detective Boys when he is not around.
Both in public and in private, Agasa calls Akai by his alias name Subaru.
Fusae Campbell, today a successful fashion designer, was Agasa's first love in their childhood years. Because of her half-American heritage she has blonde hair, which made her the target of ridicule among her fellow students and thus very shy; she usually wore a large hat to conceal her hair. Three months after meeting Agasa, her family abruptly moved away, but she promised to return every ten years to a special place to meet him again. However, Agasa could not figure out what location she meant, until the Detective Boys and Conan find the original note she left behind and help him realize the answer to her clues. While they did not openly talk about their feelings during their brief reunion, there is a hint that their relationship is now beginning to grow.
- eBookJapan held a character popularity poll from April 12, 2011 to May 12, 2011 in which readers of Detective Conan (international included) could vote for their favorite character. Agasa placed 19th in the poll with 36 votes out of the 5,883 that were cast.
- In honor of the release of the 800th manga chapter, Shonen Sunday held a popularity poll/contest containing 91 Detective Conan characters to choose from. Agasa placed 37th overall.
In the non-canon movies, Agasa usually gives a multiple-choice quiz to the Detective Boys as a reward or just to test their knowledge. These are mostly based on puns or rearranging the strokes in a character to get the answer.
Agasa's name comes from mystery writer Agatha Christie. His first name Hiroshi is a pun as it is written with the same kanji for hakase (博士 professor). Agasa's English given name "Herschel" likely comes from the physician friend of V. I. Warshawski, Dr. Charlotte “Lotty” Herschel.
Additionally, his great uncle and aunt, Kurisuke (栗介 ) and Teiko (定子 ), get their names from the Japanese pronunciation of Christie (クリスティ Kurisuti) (Kurisuke obviously comes from Kurisu (クリス), but Teiko comes from Tei (テイ), and alternate writing for Ti (ティ)).
- Professor Agasa has a mole on his butt with a hair sticking out of it (which Conan revealed while trying to prove his real identity to Agasa).
- In a fan poll, Professor Agasa was voted as the character most likely to be The Boss of the Black Organization. However, in an interview, Gosho Aoyama stated that Agasa is not the boss.
- Professor Agasa has a built-in television in his car.
- Professor Agasa's car is a yellow Volkswagen Beetle.
- He is hinted to be Konosuke Jii's "professor friend" who repaired Kaito Kuroba's bike in Magic Kaito Sun Halo. This allusion is returned in file 997 of Detective Conan, where Agasa mentions that he lent his VW Beetle to his "barkeeper friend".
- Agasa's website is named "www.agasa-hiroshi.com" as revealed in Teimuzu River Kite Flying Case.
- Hiroshi mentioned many friends throughout the series and sometimes they play an important part in the plot:
- A plastic surgeon friend that changed the culprit face to impersonate someone of a case (The Old Blue Castle Investigation Case)
- Haruo Chono whose pet hamster Agasa used to help Fusae overcome her fear of animals (Gingko-Colored First Love)
- Unnamed friend who invited Agasa to his son wedding (Gingko-Colored First Love)
- Daisuke Mikami (Big Monster Gomera Murder Case)
- Unnamed friend with a granddaughter (Night Baron Murder Case)
- Mr. Kanou (The Evidence That Didn't Disappear)
- A friend who owns a Doberman dog (The Evidence That Didn't Disappear)
- Agasa seems extremely lucky at winining food ticket prizes, similarly to Ran's luck astonishingly good luck and instincts when it comes to gambling, lotteries, and any game of chance wins, like in Episode 814 in which he won a ticket to a cake buffet, or Episode 843 in which he won a meal ticket.
In other languages
- ^ Agasa starts the series at age 52 and has a birthday in the The Poisoned Fisherman Case
- ^ In File 964 Conan says that Agasa is the same height as Ran, who is 160 cm tall.
- ^ Conan Drill Page 52
- ^ Manga Volume 40, File 7, Agasa's First Love
- ^ Manga chapter 572 page 10
- ^ Manga chapter 410 pages 08-10
- ^ Manga chapter 111 page 06
- ^ Manga chapter 111 page 07
- ^ Manga chapter 208
- ^ Episode 157: Metropolitan Police Detective Love Story 2 where his "Tropical Rainbow" explosive is used during a celebration to destroy the Haido City museum.
- ^ Chapter 775 pg 13
- ^ Chapter 775 pg 11
- ^ File 1074
- ^ File 843: A Parcel for Kudo-samakata (Volume 80)
- ^ a b c d File 948: The Clenched Scissors (Volume 89)
- ^ a b File 950: The Clipped Letters (Volume 90)
- ^ File 949: Sweet Scent (Volume 90)
- ^ File 900 (Volume 85)
- ^ a b c d Movie 13: The Raven Chaser
- ^ a b File 422: Inescapable Target (Volume 41)
- ^ a b Episode 309
- ^ Movie 9: Strategy Above the Depths
- ^ Episode 722
- ^ Movie 4: Captured in Her Eyes
- ^ Manga Chapter 398: The Torn Friendship, Part 1
- ^ Manga Chapter 423: A Mystery Left by a Visitor
- ^ "『名探偵コナン』 人気投票結". eBookJapan. 2011-05-12. http://www.ebookjapan.jp/ebj/special/conan/vote_kekka2.asp. Retrieved on 2011-05-15.
- ^ "Shonen magazine detective conan official poll results published [magazine pic"]. eva. 2012-02-28. http://forum.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=8024.msg651566#msg651566. Retrieved on 2012-02-29.
- ^ Episode 2: Company President's Daughter Kidnapping Case
- ^ 朝日新聞:「黒の組織ボス、もう登場」 コナン作者・青山さん (2014年1月6日16時53分)
- ^ Manga: Volume 24, File 10, page 16
|Members||Conan Edogawa • Ai Haibara • Ayumi Yoshida • Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya • Genta Kojima|
|Guardians||Hiroshi Agasa • Sumiko Kobayashi • Rumi Wakasa|
|Gadgets||Detective Boys Badge • Wristwatch Flashlight|