|Japanese name:||少年探偵団 |
|English name:||Junior Detective League|
|Members:||Conan Edogawa |
|Gadgets:||Detective Boys Badge |
Kamen Yaiba Voice Changer
|Guardians:||Hiroshi Agasa |
|Gender:||Male and Female|
|First appearance:||Manga: File 17 |
Anime: Episode 1
The Detective Boys (少年探偵団 Shōnen Tantei-dan), also known as The Junior Detective League in the English Funimation adaption, are the pre-adolescent detectives with whom Conan solves the occasional crimes in which he and his Teitan Elementary classmates stumble into.
The Detective Boys were informally founded when Ayumi Yoshida and Genta Kojima decided to investigate a mansion which was once a murder site and had been abandoned. Conan and his classmate Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya were drafted into accompanying the two, and the foursome entered the house. In the course of this adventure, Conan found out that the house was still inhabited by the mother and son of the murder victim; the son had killed his father in a fit of rage over his abusive behavior, and his mother had subsequently locked her own son in a dungeon beneath the house to wait until the deed's time-bar had passed. After Conan succeeded in exposing the two, they were arrested and the case was resolved.
In time, the four kept stumbling into more and more criminal cases, which were resolved thanks to Conan's deductive skills and initiative. Particularly after the case involving a sizable cache of stolen Italian gold coins, Ayumi, Genta and Mitsuhiko developed a taste for detective work and impulsively decided to become investigators themselves, mostly for fame and glory. After advertising their services in school, they have become actively involved in many criminal cases provided by their schoolmates, though more often than not they keep accidentally coming upon such during their free-time activities. Some time later, their new classmate (and former Black Organization member) Ai Haibara was drafted into the group. Two adults also joined this group informally, namely Professor Hiroshi Agasa, who provides the group with special gadgets to aid them in their adventures, and their class teacher Sumiko Kobayashi, a mystery novel enthusiast who proclaimed herself their manager.
In most cases, the Detective Boys act more like aides to Conan, who is the group's (mostly undisputed) leader due to his intelligence, extensive criminal knowledge and experience. In this role they function mostly as additional pairs of eyes who provide Conan with trivial-seeming but important clues, and display little investigative brilliance or determination of their own. As the series progresses, however, the other members, particularly Ai and Mitsuhiko, have demonstrated in some cases - especially where Conan is not present or out of commission - that the Detective Boys have the potential of becoming skilled investigators in their own right. Famous cases of such include:
- Chapter 251-253: Dangerous Cave Case
- Chapter 548-549: Kobayashi-sensei's Mystery
- Chapter 712-715: Kaitou Kid and the Kirin's Horn
- Chapter 753-755: Two-Five-Two
- Chapter 759-761: Wolf-Crier
- Episode 182: The Big Investigation of the Nine Doors (TV Original)
- Episode 225: The Secret of the High Sales (TV Original)
- Episode 303: The Victim Who Came Back (TV Original)
- OVA 07: A Challenge from Agasa! Agasa vs. Conan and the Detective Boys
- OVA 11: A Secret Order From London
Note: Caution must be advised for OVAs, Movies and TV Originals, as these are essentially non-canonical with the Manga series and therefore not 100% diagnostically conclusive.
Family & Friends
The Detective Boys love Professor Hiroshi Agasa very much and they have a good familial relationship with each other. Professor Agasa has invented the 'Wristwatch Flashlight' and the 'Detective Boys Badge' to help them in their deductions and to contact each other in any situation that might come up.
Agasa, in turn, seems to consider the actual children of the group as surrogate grandchildren, and is willing to help them with various cases.
Sumiko Kobayashi is the current teacher of the class that the Detective Boys are in. She also proclaims herself to be their manager, much to the children's chagrin.
- Genta refers to Conan as his apprentice in various episodes, mainly to show off to people.
- In an interview, Gosho Aoyama stated that the purpose of the Detective Boys was to act as a cover for Haibara.
- The Detective Boys in Detective Conan and Nobita and his friends in Doraemon both share a lot of resemblance.
- Interestingly enough, Ai Haibara also draw parallel to Doraemon's sister Dorami, being a wise and intelligent member.
In other languages
|Japanese||少年探偵団 Shōnen Tantei-dan|
|Arabic||فريق التحرّيات الصغير / فريق المحقّقين الصغار Farīq At-Taḥarriyāt Aṣ-Ṣaghīr / Farīq Al-Muḥaqqiqīn Aṣ-Ṣighār|
|English||Junior Detective League|
|Korean||어린이 탐정단 Eo-rin-i Tam-jeong-dan|
|Filipino||Junior Detective Squad|
|Bahasa Indonesia||Grup Detektif Cilik|
|Bahasa Malaysia||Kumpulan Detektif Muda|
|Spanish||Liga Juvenil de Detectives|
|Galician||Liga de Detectives Xuvenís|
|Catalan||Lliga de Detectius Júnior|
|Italian||Squadra dei Giovani Detective|
|Vietnamese||Đội Thám Tử Nhí (manga)
Đội Thám Tử Tí Hon (anime)
|Chinese||少年侦探团 shào nián zhēn tàn tuán|
|Tradtional Chinese||少年偵探團 shào nián zhēn tàn tuán|
|Thai||ขบวนการนักสืบเยาวชน K̄hbwnkār nạks̄ụ̄b yeāwchn|
Detective Boys 10 years later.
- ^ Manga Chapters 17-19, Anime Episode 20: Scary Building Case
- ^ Manga Chapters 36-39: Code Sheet Case
- ^ Manga Chapter 56: Formation! The Detective Boys
- ^ Anime Episode 129: The Girl from the Black Organization and the University Professor Murder Case
- ^ First called (Investigations Junior Team) then changed to (Junior Detectives Team).
- ^ OVA 9: The Stranger from Ten Years Later
|Members||Conan Edogawa • Ai Haibara • Ayumi Yoshida • Mitsuhiko Tsuburaya • Genta Kojima|
|Guardians||Hiroshi Agasa • Sumiko Kobayashi|
|Gadgets||Detective Boys Badge • Wristwatch Flashlight|