Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small
|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on May 2, 2019|
Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small (エピソード"ONE" 小さくなった名探偵 Episōdo "Wan" Chīsakunatta Meitantei) is the sixth TV Special of Detective Conan. The special is a retelling of the first and part of the second episode of the series.
- 1 Characters introduced
- 2 Cast
- 3 Gadgets
- 4 Plot
- 4.1 Sherry Opening Scene
- 4.2 Shinichi Kudo's Aquarium Case
- 4.3 Gin and Vodka's Meeting Scene
- 4.4 Haido's Karate Champion
- 4.5 Suzuki Family Scene
- 4.6 Karate Tournament Scene
- 4.7 Case 1: Crime at the Private Mansion
- 4.8 Case 2: Roller Coaster Murder Case
- 4.9 Chasing the Men in Black
- 4.10 Later at Shinichi's House
- 4.11 Flash Forward
- 4.12 New York Scene
- 4.13 Sherry Closing Scene
- 5 Manga to Special Changes
- 6 Anime to special changes
- 7 Trivia
- 8 BGM listing
- 9 Gallery
- 10 In other languages
- 11 See also
- 12 References
Sherry Opening Scene
A lady enters a suspicious testing lab by pressing her hand on the passcode to enter. She pours coffee and milk and starts to open her desktop computer. It is revealed she is Sherry. She is working on a suspicious experiment in the Black Organization Lab. She views some live footage of test subjects (mice) on a computer screen. She then phones her sister Akemi and asks her to come over, saying that she will show her something interesting.
Shinichi Kudo's Aquarium Case
Shinichi explains Ran how detective are like sharks. The opening features snapshots of important manga pages accompanied with the first soundtrack of Detective Conan, "Mune ga Dokidoki". After Shinichi has solved the case and they are on their way back home, it starts to rain. Ran puts on her hood and the phone that Shinichi put on it accidentally falls. Ran is very upset and blames herself for trusting her new phone with Shinichi. Shinichi tells her he'll buy her a new one and to further lift her up, promises to take her to Tropical Land.
Gin and Vodka's Meeting Scene
Haido's Karate Champion
Suzuki Family Scene
There apparently are guests at Sonoko's home. Her mother scolds her for not knocking the door before she entered. The guest, Takanori Sewa seems to have some problems with his New Year Party. He has been receiving threatening letters. Shinichi offers Sewa his assistance, but he declines saying that he has already increased the number of guards. When they stand to leave, Takanori accidentally puts his electronic wheelchair on reverse. Shinichi rushes to help, but Ran pushes him off, saves Takanori and catches the vase which was falling. Takanori initially scolds Ran for trying such a reckless stunt, but realizes his mistake and praises her.
Sonoko and her parents want Ran to use a special suit they made for her for the coming Karate Competition, but there are regulations for the dongi they wear in competitions. She still accepts it saying that she'll use it for her practice, if they don't mind. They are still happy. Sonoko seems all excited, since she had carved "Love Shinichi" on the back collar of the dongi.
In the end, Ran's new phone wasn't bought. Before parting ways with Shinichi, she remembers she forgot her wallet at his home. She finds it and goes to bid goodbye to Shinichi, who is reading at his home library. Ran thinks Shinichi's first crush was his actress mom, but he denies it. Ran questions then who was it? Shinichi stares for a while at Ran and tries to say that it was she, but Agasa interrupts this moment with a mobile rocket experiment gone wrong. Ran provides first-aid to Agasa. Shinichi thinks his experiments are way dangerous for a device carrying out transportation. Agasa brags that he put safety first in building his mobile rocket and starts it again. His rocket flies him away screaming.
Meanwhile, Vodka expresses his suspicions regarding the man who wants to hold their important transaction in an open ground. Gin seems to despise Bourbon.
Karate Tournament Scene
Ran is doing well in the competition, going further step-by-step. Sonoko cheers her while Kogoro and Eri argue on which one's characters their daughter inherited. In her fight with Hina Wada, she faces tough competition and on the brim of losing. At such a vital time, Shinichi gets a call from the Inspector regarding a case and he has to leave urgently. He apologizes to Ran for leaving. But she is in a burning rage, surrounded by dark aura. Hina Wada and even the referee is scared at her look. She is definitely going to win the tournament.
Case 1: Crime at the Private Mansion
Takanori Sewa's New Year Party has been interrupted by a murder: one of the guests, President Yamazaki of Yatsubishi Bank, was found dead with a knife that pierced through his heart. The police, led by Inspector Megure, have been investigating the crime scene, but have no conclusive evidence as to who the killer is. Shinichi makes his grand entrance and claims he has figured out the case.
Case 2: Roller Coaster Murder Case
Chasing the Men in Black
Later at Shinichi's House
Sherry and her team members search for whereabouts of Shinichi and Sherry finds that she already saw Shinichi when she came across in her car near the park. She also discovers that his childhood clothes are missing.
New York Scene
Sherry Closing Scene
Manga to Special Changes
- In the manga, the victim of the first case was the mansion owner's wife. In this version, similar to the original episode, a bank president named Yamazaki was killed instead.
- Both Gin and Conan are shown in possession of cell phones in scenes that originally did not contain them. In the original, Shinichi simply witnessed the Black Organization deals and Gin had a camera; in the Special they both use their phones's cameras instead.
- In the manga, Gin uses a metal rod to knock out Shinichi. Whereas in this version he uses his retractable walking stick, which makes more sense since such a blow to the head would have left him with more than a minor injury.
- In both manga and anime, Gin just places the pill in Shinichi's mouth and then forces him to drink the contents of a bottle to force him consume the poison that would shrink him. In the special, he also sticks his fingers up Shinichi's mouth to make sure the pill will be swallowed.
- Hina Wada, a character created rather recently in the manga, gets a brief scene where she apprehends a thief by herself.
- Characters not yet created at the start of the manga (like Wataru Takagi, Kazunobu Chiba, Chianti and Korn) get cameos in the special.
- Sewa was in a normal wheelchair in the manga and anime, whereas he uses an electronic one in the special.
Anime to special changes
- In the original episode 1, Yamazaki was shot in the chest. In this version, he is stabbed with a knife.
- In the original episode 1, The evidence that caught Sewa was his hospital records that Shinichi earlier investigated instead of first meeting him at Sonoko's residence, and him noticing his foot was already healed.
- Sewa's wife is seen alive and well. Her and Sewa's son shows up too.
- The news castors that are talking about Shinichi as he walks by have been replaced by Rena Mizunashi and a co-host.
- The scenes with the Detective Boys sneaking into the Mystery Coaster and finding the pearl strand were cut. Instead, Shinichi and Ran encounter them playing soccer earlier in the Special and Shinichi even plays soccer with them a little.
- Ran and Shinichi visit Sonoko and her parents in their mansion, right before Sewa kills Yamazaki. Sewa himself is there and briefly freaks out when he realizes Shinichi's identity.
- The karate tournament won by Ran is shown, with Hina Wada as her opponent. Additionally, both Makoto and Sonoko are seen and it's stated that this is when Makoto fell in love at first sight with Sonoko.
- Instead of a shining white light censor, a dark blood fountain is seen during the decapitation scene. There's so much blood that Ran gets all stained with it.
- During the flash forward, the scene where Akemi Miyano is killed is exactly like how it was in the original manga, while the anime altered this scene so that she would live, and later another episode had to be made in order to fix the plothole.
- The scene where Shiho sees Shinichi and Ran came from Nazo.
- Insert song: Unmei no Roulette Mawashite by ZARD
- This special was released on June 28, 2020 by Discotek Media and will be the home media debut of the Bang Zoom! Entertainment English dub. This is the first English dubbed release since The Phantom of Baker Street in 2010.
- The subtitle of this episode "The Great Detective Turned Small" (Chīsakunatta Meitantei) is the same title that was used by file 002 of the manga.
- During Yusaku and Yukiko's brief appearance, they are in their "Night Baron" and "Fumiyo Edogawa" disguise from Conan Edogawa Kidnapping Case.
- During the scene where Eri is talking to Kogoro over the phone, a calico cat is shown lying on her desk. This is Eri's previous cat that is mentioned in file 528, it had died a month earlier off screen resulting in her taking in Goro from a friend. Since this Special takes place before that, her first cat is still alive.
- The number Ran bears during the karate tournament is "910", which can also be read as "Kudo" in Japanese.
- On the cover of file 984 Ran's texts for Shinichi are the exact same structure and content that were on Ran's note in this special: the note she left for him after their date at Tropical Land in, the one where Shiho finds with a picture of Shinichi and Ran.
- The car of the man in the bar is a atomic silver Lexus RC 350 F Sport although the logo is modified to avoid product placement.
In other languages
|Catalan (Catalan dub)||Episodi u: El detectiu que es va encongir||Episode one: The detective who shrunk|
|English (American dub)||Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small||Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small|
|German||Episode ONE – Der geschrumpfte Meisterdetektiv||Episode ONE - The shrunken great detective|
|Spanish (Castilian sub)||Episodio 1: El detective que se encogió||Episode 1: The detective who shrunk|
|Thai||Episode ONE ตอน กำเนิดยอดนักสืบจิ๋ว||Episode One: The Origin of the Great Little Detective|
|Vietnamese||Episode One: Ngày thám tử bị teo nhỏ||Episode One: The Day the Detective Turned Small|
|Detective Conan TV Specials|
|Time Travel of the Silver Sky • Black History • Lupin III vs. Detective Conan (crossover) • Fugitive: Kogoro Mouri • The Disappearance of Conan Edogawa: The Worst Two Days in History (crossover) • Episode One: The Great Detective Turned Small|
|High Ranking||The Boss • Rum • Gin • Vermouth|
|Other Agents||Vodka • Kir (undercover) • Chianti • Korn • Bourbon (undercover)|
|Deceased Agents||Akemi Miyano • Tequila • Kenzo Masuyama/Pisco • Atsushi Miyano • Elena Miyano • Calvados • Rikumichi Kusuda • Ethan Hondou (undercover) • Hiromitsu Morofushi/Scotch (undercover)|
|Former Agents||Shiho Miyano/Sherry (Ai Haibara) • Shuichi Akai/Dai Moroboshi/Rye (undercover) • Ki'ichiro Numabuchi|
|Extended canon||Yoshiaki Hara (movie only) • Irish (movie only) • Masaaki Okakura (movie only) • Arrack (special manga only) • Generic (special manga only) • Blackbeard (special manga only) • Antonio Gomez (shogakukan learning series only) • Two men (shogakukan learning series only) • Kate Lauren (playstation only) • Curaçao (movie only) • Stout (movie only) • Aquavit (movie only) • Leona Bucholz/Riesling (movie only) • Man in bar (tv special only) • Drama assassin (drama only)|
|Related Articles||Black Organization timeline • APTX 4869 • Nanatsu no Ko • Scar Akai • List of Black Organization related characters • Vermouth timeline • Suguru Itakura • Kohji Haneda case • Karasuma Group • "The Criminal" • Night Baron • Crow|
|Manga||Roller Coaster Murder Case • ¥1,000,000,000 Robbery • Bullet-Train Bombing • Game Convention Case • Missing Older Brother Case • Murdered Professor Case • Hotel Party Murder Case • Bus Hijacking Case • Kaitou Kid and the Murder • Escalator Message Case • Golden Apple Case • Footsteps of Darkness • Meeting with Vodka • Four Porsches Case • Bathroom Murder Case • Halloween Party Case • Black Organization vs. FBI • Mysterious Job Case • Kir Transport Case • Foreign Suspect Case • Department Store Bomber Case • Online Client • Mystery Train • Tennis Meetup • A Shrine to Remember • Elementary Teacher Assault • Scarlet Showdown • Girls Band Murder Case • Soul Detective Murder Case • A song named ASACA • Missing Maria Higashio Case • Sisters' Birthday Party Murder Case • Yusaku Kudo's TV Show Case • FBI Serial Murder Case|
|Anime||Roller Coaster Murder Case • Game Company Murder Case • The Black Organization: One Billion Yen Robbery Case • The Girl from the Black Organization and the University Professor Murder Case • Reunion with the Black Organization • The Gathering of the Detectives! Shinichi Kudo vs. Kaitou Kid • The Mysterious Passenger • The Secret Rushed Omission • Shinichi Kudo's New York Case • On the Trail of a Silent Witness • Contact with the Black Organization • The Four Porsches • Hidden Bathroom Secret • Head-to-Head Match with the Black Organization: A Dual Mystery on a Full Moon Night • Black Impact! The Moment the Black Organization Reaches Out • The Shadow of the Black Organization • Clash of Red and Black • The Crisis Beckoned by the Red Omen • Detectives' Nocturne • The Jet-Black Mystery Train • Conan in a Locked Room • Jodie's Memories and the Cherry Blossom Viewing Trap • The Scarlet Return • The Shadow Approaching Amuro (TV original) • The Unfriendly Girls Band • Soul Detective Murder Case • The Betrayal's Stage • Search for Maria-chan!|
|Movies and Specials||Countdown to Heaven • Time Travel of the Silver Sky • Black History • The Raven Chaser • Shinichi Kudo Returns! Confrontation with the Black Organization • The Darkest Nightmare|
|Special Manga||The Wish Put on the Airship • The Black Organization...Revealed • Protect the Luxury Liner from the Virus|
|Playstation||Remembrance Treasure Case|