|Japanese name:||上原 由衣 |
|Relatives:||Yoshiro Torada (husband, deceased)|
|First appearance:||Manga: File 613 |
Anime: Episode 516
|Keyhole number:||Volume 66|
|Japanese voice:||Ami Koshimizu|
Yui Uehara (上原 由衣 Uehara Yui) is a character in the manga and anime franchise Detective Conan.
- 1 Background
- 2 Personality
- 3 Appellations
- 4 Plot overview
- 4.1 Furinkazan Case (Manga: 613-618, Anime: 516-517)
- 4.2 Dangerous Couple Case (Manga: 680-681, Anime: 557)
- 4.3 Red Wall Case (Manga: 682-686, Anime: 558-561)
- 4.4 Eye for an Eye (Manga: 783-784, Anime: 653-654)
- 4.5 The Red Woman (Manga: 873-875, Anime: 754-756)
- 4.6 Kawanakajima Murder Case (Manga: 913-917, Anime: 810-812)
- 5 Non-canon plot overview
- 6 Relationships analysis
- 7 Name origin
- 8 Different looks
- 9 Trivia
- 10 See also
- 11 References
Yui Uehara and Kansuke Yamato grew up together in a village in the Nagano prefecture. One day, the popular village policeman and kyujitsu master Kuroto Kai died under mysterious circumstances, prompting Yui and Kansuke, who had joined the police force following his example, to investigate the case. When Kansuke was critically injured and believed lost in an unrelated case (thus gaining him his damaged leg and his trademark scarred eye), Yui decided to carry on the investigation by herself, quitting the police force and marrying into one of the families she suspected of having murdered Kai.
Despite spending a year in the household, the case was resolved only when another string of mysterious murders occurred (with her husband Yoshiro Torada winding up as the first victim) and Conan and Heiji were called up to solve them. Soon after the resolution of the case, Yui rejoined the police force.
Yui is a friendly and considerate person, which offsets Yamato's harsh appearance and behavior, complementing the two so different personalities. It is frequently hinted by her behavior that she is in love with him, but his professionalism has as yet prevented any serious personal engagement, although Yamato himself seems not reluctant to it.
Yui, just like Yamato, is very aware of Conan's intelligence, telling Conan about how Yamato believes that he is more intelligent than Kogoro Mouri, sneakily trying to get Conan involved in investigating the crime.
Non-canon plot overview
Yoshiro was Yui's husband. She married him in order to investigate his family's connection to the death of a police officer, she admired. He died due to a tornado.
Kansuke Yamato cares very deeply for his subordinate and childhood friend Yui. He was upset over her leaving the force and tried to distance himself from her, but had no problem allowing her back on the force. Yui in return cares for him and even seems to have feeling for him, affectionately referring to him as Kan-chan, which he always scolds her for doing.
The two kanji for the name "Yui" (由衣) is derived from Princess Yu (由布姫 Yū-hime) and Princess Koi (湖衣姫 Koi-hime), the two names used in novels for the daughter of Suwa Yorishige, head of the Suwa clan. Her last name, Uehara, comes from Uehara castle, the main stronghold of the Suwa clan.
- Her car is a 2008 Blue Honda Inspire [CP3], with the license plate number 新野 300, ま • 2-15 (Niino 300, Ma • 2-15).
- ^ Manga Volume 59: Files 613-618 (Furinkazan Case)
- ^ Manga Volume 65: Files 680-681 (Dangerous Couple Case)
- ^ Episodes 558-561: The Mansion of Death and the Red Wall
- ^ a b c d e File 914 (Volume 86)
- ^ File 910 (Volume 86)
- ^ a b c d File 913 (Volume 86)
- ^ File 681 (Volume 65)
- ^ a b File 916 (Volume 87)
- ^ File:Postcard2016 6.jpg (Taka'aki (or Komei) calls her 'Yui-san', I think... probably... (laugh) )
- ^ Movie 13: The Raven Chaser
- ^ Manga Chapter 616: Furinkazan
- ^ a b Manga Chapter 618: Shadow and Lightning
- ^ Manga Chapter 617: War
- ^ Manga Volume 65-66: Files 682-686 (Red Wall Case)