The Sunset Manor (黄昏の館 Tasogare no yakata) is a huge western-style manor house in the isolated mountains of Matsumoto, Nagano Prefecture. It once belonged to the multi-millionaire Renya Karasuma, who inherited it from his mother. It was brought two years ago by Shukuzen Ogami, who search for the treasure until Furuyo Senma killed him. It's a symmetrical Golden Manor, made of gold and painted black, and since Karasuma is a crow-like man, personified his nest. According to Kogoro, it looks more like Dracula's Castle, and up close even more like a haunted house.
The world's greatest detectives were invited to the Sunset Manor. Saguru had long heard of the blood-chilling tragedy only in frightened whispers, but were mostly lies about an out-of-control auction resulted in a massacre when two robbers infiltrated the mansion as wanderers one stormy night and dosed the people with marijuana. The host told them that this huge mansion belonged to Renya Karasuma and that there is a treasure hidden inside. That name triggers the guests attention, since he had tremendous influence throughout Japan.
Conan solved the riddle about the King, Queen, and Knight: using the hands of the only clock in the dining room, which is the switch, as the combination for a lock, a layer peels off the entire outer walls of the black building, revealing solid gold underneath. Only Karasuma could do something on such a scale, and it must be worth a hundred billion yen. Sunset being when the sky shines gold as the sun goes down, it is literally a "Golden Manor".
Kaitou Kid had come for Karasuma's treasure disguised as Kogoro, but it was too big for him to carry away and then flees from the area. Shukuzen Ogami, who was in serious trouble since he had put himself into massive debt to buy the house two years ago and wanted to kill all the others blaming Kaitou Kid once the treasure was found for him, and Furuyo Senma, who killed him and almost created another tragedy to decipher that riddle her father left for her, were possessed by Karasuma all along.
- "Sunset Manor" derived from the homonym novel written by Kiyoshi Kasai.
- The anime version's huge painting in the dining room is a replica of The Queen of Sheba visits King Solomon, but with an inverted orientation. Just like the story of King Solomon, the wisest but later corrupt monarch in the Old Testament, since sunset also indicates an idea of "glorious sun that goes out" as the wrath of heaven, Karasuma was the richest and most powerful man in all of modern Japan, but eventually became an enigmatic crime lord. Moreover, since he had came from afar to decipher Karasuma's riddle, Shinichi/Conan is also like the great Queen of Sheba. Then, it is just like Solomon's Golden Temple, depicted in the background.
- Many anime version's paintings are from movie 2, although with an inverted orientation: in the dining room, the one with cherry in bloom at Mount Takao from episode 52 in the French Restaurant "La Fleur", and the one with a sunset beach girl in Aquacrystal restaurant, but both divided into two; in the piano room, the one with a castle in Kohei Sawaki's apartment. Those with trees foliage and a sunset beach woman in the dining room appeared in the apartment building front entrance from episode 102-103, as correct orientation but respectively with cherry blossom petals and cut out the girl, the one with cherry in bloom in Suzuki ship and the first in Yokosuka Castle, but in white and black, from movie 3. The oil painting with a sunset beach girl also appeared even in a hotel room from Short Story Episode 5. Open spoiler box to see images.
- ^ Anime original information. The place is on the invitation and sign, a rural area improperly 2 kilometers from Okuno Dam, in the distant Shizuoka Prefecture.
- ^ The host dummy wears a frightening phantom's purple hood with only two eye slits, just like the members of the KKK, one of the secret societies that were the sources of inspiration for the Black Organization.
|Cities and Towns • Countries • Educational Institutions • Prefectures of Japan • Railway Lines and Stations|
|Character's Homes||Akako Koizumi • Jirokichi Suzuki • Kudo family • Kuroba family • Mouri family • Nakamori family|
|Educational Institutions||Ekoda High School • Kohnan High School • Teitan Elementary School|
|Hotels & Inns||Haido City Hotel|
|Towns & Cities||Beika Ward • Beika Town • Ekoda • Ginza • Haido • Shibuya • Toshima • Yaoya|
|Train Stations||Beika Station • Tokyo Station|
|Other Locations||Beika Aquarium • Clock Tower (Black Star) • Nippon Budokan • Tokyo Skytree • Tokyo Tower • Tropical Land • Sunset Manor|