Detective Conan: Marionette Symphony
|Title:||Detective Conan: Marionette Symphony|
|Japanese Title:||名探偵コナン マリオネット交響曲(シンフォニー) |
(Meitantei Konan: Marionetto Kōkyōkyoku (Shinfonī))
|Release date:||April 25, 2013|
|Age range:||CERO - B (12+)|
|Developer:||Spike Chunsoft Co., Ltd.|
|Publisher:||Namco Bandai Games Inc.|
|Next game:||Detective Conan: Phantom Rhapsody »|
|List of games|
Detective Conan: Marionette Symphony is a game for Nintendo 3DS that was released in Japan on April 25, 2013. The teaser trailer for the game shows terrorists overtaking a building complex called Clover Hills.
The game opens with Kogoro Mouri being hired by Daisuke Ozawa to guard the President of the Moriyama Construction Corporation, which built the Clover Hills complex, on the day that the complex is celebrating its one year anniversary. As Kogoro, Ran Mouri, and Conan Edogawa are leaving the Mouri Detective Agency, they stumble upon a woman on the ground, who claims to have amnesia. Since she appears to be the architect of the Clover Hills complex, Kanako Shimizaki, they take her with them, despite Ozawa's objections. Upon arriving at Clover Hills, they discover the President is nowhere to be found. Meanwhile, Ai Haibara and the Detective Boys are in another part of the complex, climbing the emergency stairs to reach the roof because the children believe there are monsters to be found up there. Ai suddenly hears suspicious voices, which call each other by flower codenames and say threatening things. She has to keep the kids out of danger! At the same time, Heiji Hattori is waiting in the nearby Clover News TV station to appear on the local news show to talk about a recent case of his, with Kazuha Toyama there to support him. Suddenly, a body is found in the Clover Aquarium, and all of the detectives are caught up in the case!
Once that case is resolved, the one year anniversary celebration proceeds as planned, and Kogoro, Conan, Kanako, Ran, and Sonoko Suzuki prepare to attend. Although because it is a fancy event, Conan is stripped of most of his gadgets. Simultaneously, Kaito Kid plans to steal a jewel named the "Azure Ocean" from Prince Fernando, who is visiting from the Principality of Ruweno and also attending the celebration. Kaito Kid overhears the same group that terrorized Ai and the DB earlier talking about Clover Hills going up in flames. Meanwhile, Ai and the DB go back to searching for monsters and meet Kuriki Tsubasa, a 9-year-old aspiring press photographer who dreams of capturing Kaito Kid's true face; and his dog, Kentaro. They decide to team up to search for monsters and Kaito Kid. At the same time, Ran and Sonoko go to see the Azure Ocean and become witness to Prince Fernando's speech about the jewel being interrupted by Kaito Kid's calling card. And Heiji and Kazuha meet the cast and crew of the Clover News TV Station, as well as fellow guest star, young new actor Misao Shirakawa, as the news program prepares to go on-air.
Just as they are about to start the live broadcast, the whole complex shakes violently - because a bomb destroys the only bridge to the island Clover Hills is on! Kogoro gets knocked out by debris as he protects Kanako from damage caused by the shock of the blast, and Conan is also minorly injured. Masked terrorists swarm in on the Azure Ocean display room and the TV station, trapping everyone in those locations. Then a remote broadcast is sent throughout the complex, visible or heard by every character. In it, the leader of the terrorist group "Flowers of Liberation", Yasushi Kurose, demands that all of the rich - and therefore corrupt - people in the building turn over their assets to the terrorists or the various bombs placed throughout the complex will be set off, killing everyone. He implores the ordinary citizens to turn over the rich oppressors to the terrorists in order to save their own lives and the lives of their families. Furthermore, he offers a challenge to Shinichi Kudo: find the bombs within an hour and everyone will be spared. After the broadcast is over, chaos ensues in the display room as people turn against each other, doing just as Yasushi commanded. They come after Sonoko too, but when Ran tries to protect her, they are both handed over to the "Flowers of Liberation". The terrorists also target the jewel, which ruins Kaito Kid's plans and forces him to struggle to get his hands on it while staying safely incognito and find a way to extract himself from such a dangerous situation. Meanwhile, at the TV station, a small group of the terrorists force the staff to prepare their own special program, to be broadcasted to the entire nation of Japan, which Heiji and Kazuha strive to prevent without getting caught.
With all of the protagonists separated into groups and trapped from each other by dangerous terrorists, they must somehow safely find and disable the bombs and defeat the "Flowers of Liberation"!
- Visual Novel: The game is mainly played like a visual novel, with the story being told through text boxes that the player must hit a button to advance. Each character has various sprites for different expressions, which change to suit what's being said. There's also full screen illustrations for important scenes (known in the visual novel genre as 'CGs').
- Zapping: This game uses the "zapping system" previously used in other games by the developer. The zapping system permits players to switch between characters instead of playing as one single character throughout the game. For example, the teaser trailer for the game shows Conan being switched out for Heiji. When a character's story can progress no further, then they "Close the Door", and it can only be opened again by zapping to a different character who has the key to the other character's story. Zapping sometimes happens automatically, when the story requires a point of view change.
- Multiple Choice Questions and Conan Coins: Occasionally the player will be asked a multiple choice question. The player earns "Conan Coins" for getting it right, but the amount of coins earned depends on how many attempts the player makes. If they get it right immediately, they get the full amount of coins. A wrong answer deducts coins from the possible earnings. Conan Coins can be used in the Extras Menu to unlock extras like CG art, and with AR Conan to get a hint or unlock Seed Cards.
- Truth Cards: These are how evidence and learned facts are recorded. They are used by presenting the right card at the right time to advance the story. Truth Cards are explained in-universe as a convenient way to transmit what each character learns to the others via an app on everyone's phones, since communication services are spotty in the Clover Hills complex. Clarissa oversees the system and handles sending new TRUTH cards out to all the characters.
- Investigations: The player can move a cursor over a still background and select points of interest to examine. Variations of this include needing to point out a discrepancy or specific point to use as evidence, using a Truth Card on a point in the environment, or selecting a suspect.
- Timeline: A screen which keeps track of all previously viewed scenes of all the characters along a timeline of events. The player can select any point on the timeline to play that scene again; this may sometimes be necessary to change the story, since there are some branching paths.
- Detective Time: During intense moments where action is required, the game enters a mode called "Detective Time" in which the player is presented with an option of what action the character could take on the bottom screen, and must either draw an X or an O over it to deny or accept it. If it is rejected with an X, a different action is suggested, and this continues until the player selects the right action with an O. If the player rejects the correct action, they must tap the bottom screen quickly until the action appears again. Detective Time has a time limit, and during that time limit it can require multiple instances of needing to choose an action.
- Word Roulette: A minigame where the player is presented with hiragana situated on a roulette wheel, and they must select the right character in the right order to form the correct word that answers the displayed question. The wheel spins constantly, and as each correct character is chosen, it gets faster and faster. Also, the amount of Conan Coins the player earns from the minigame increases.
The game has AR (Augmented Reality) functionality. If the player scans one of the game's AR cards, they can have Conan give them a hint or gain a special in-game card, called a Seed Card, which can be used at specific points during the story to unlock bonus scenarios called Event Cards. Each Seed Card specifies in its description which scene in the game it needs to be used at. The basic Conan AR card is available for download on the official website.
Scanning an AR card during the main game will allow players to trade a Conan coin for a hint about the current investigation from Conan. Scanning the card in AR mode from the main menu, however, lets the player feed Conan the Conan coins earned while playing the game, which raises the bar on a meter. At certain points on the meter, after enough coins have been given, the player will earn rewards. These rewards are either a pose for Photo Mode (in which the player can take photos of AR Conan), or a Seed Card. The order of which type of reward is obtained is fixed and visible on the meter.
Listed here in the order obtained, with their name and in-game description[note 1], Seed Card obtainment method, and which scene the Seed Card needs to be used at to unlock the Event Card (divided by time on the timeline and character).
|#||Image||Name||Description||Seed Card||Unlock Time||Unlock Character|
|1||Barely female detective||Detective Takagi saved Detective Sato who was about to fall into the "dream of coral". Between the two what are the exchanged words ...?||Tutorial||10:30||Miwako Sato|
|2||Crystal goldfish||After the incident at the aquarium was over, Conan decided to investigate the crystal goldfish that triggered the crisis. However, the person who appeared there ...?||60 Conan coins||11:55||Conan Edogawa|
|3||Dress up with two people||Sonoko looks like a dress for Ran going out to a party. What did Sonoko say to the beautifully transformed Ran ...?||120 Conan coins||13:00||Ran Mouri|
|4||Thank you for Kazuha||Kazuha was taken hostage, which helped Heiji Hattori solve the murder case brilliantly. Heiji Hattori is offering a rare and honest thank you to Kazuha ...?||240 Conan coins||16:35||Heiji Hattori|
|5||Detective Boys Victory||The detective boys defeated Nunokawa in cooperation with Kogoro. The four people who bite the victory ...?||300 Conan coins||16:35||Detective Boys|
|6||Phantom thief and prince||Kid, a phantom thief who stunned and replaced Fernando, the first prince of the Principality of Ruweno. What is behind the scenes of that disguise ...?||400 Conan coins||14:20||Kaito Kid|
|7||Not cute guy||Ai Haibara was saved by Conan at the end of the crisis. While sighing at Haibara, who is hated and slaps his mouth, Conan ...?||540 Conan coins||16:37||Ai Haibara|
|8||150px||N/A||N/A||640 Conan coins||19:10||Conan Edogawa|
|9||150px||N/A||N/A||700 Conan coins||17:10||Ran Mouri|
|10||Clover fantasy song||The terrorist attack caused by the flowers of liberation in Clover Hills ... Fernando returned to Japan from the Principality of Ruweno when it became a hot topic all over Japan. The purpose is to propose to Ran ...!?||DLC purchased||N/A||N/A|
One pack of DLC was available to purchase from the eShop for this game.
"The last chapter of the game, Clover Rhapsody, was given out as first-press DLC codes, and is available to purchase on the eShop for 200 yen or so."
This DLC includes a bonus episode, called "Clover Rhapsody", as an Event Card, which takes place after the events of the game; and a formal wear costume for AR Conan.
44,400 physical copies of the game were sold as of September 12, 2021
- ^ Machine translated using Google Translate
- ^ "名探偵コナン マリオネット交響曲｜バンダイナムコゲームス公式サイト". https://conan-game.channel.or.jp/sym/popup2.html. Retrieved on 2 May 2022. A popup about the AR functionality which includes a downloadable AR card for use with the game, from the official website for the game.
- ^ "(THE) 3DS Translation Request Topic". https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-3ds-translation-request-topic.380178/#post-5493488. Retrieved on 24 October 2021. A forum post about the game, requesting it be fan-translated.
- ^ "名探偵コナン マリオネット交響曲｜バンダイナムコゲームス公式サイト". https://conan-game.channel.or.jp/sym/popup.html. Retrieved on 18 April 2022. A popup describing the DLC contents, from the official website for the game.
- ^ "Game Data Library - Game Search". https://sites.google.com/site/gamedatalibrary/game-search?authuser=0. Retrieved on 24 October 2021. A repository of game sales data. Type the game's name in all caps in the search bar.