Detective Conan World
Kaitou Kid's Killer

Flaws, contradictions, and plotholes in Detective Conan

I always found it contradicting how paranoid Haibara (and sometimes Conan) can be about avoiding the lime light and drawing the attention of others. It's not the "staying undercover" part that's the issue, it's the "keeping my appearance the same, yet in short form" part that bugs me. Get a haircut, change the style, SOMETHING. At least Conan looks somewhat different with his glasses on (and he does have similar appearances with other Japanese boys), but Haibara, a girl who is easily identifiable with her hairstyle, should do something about her image that could fool a BO member at first glance. It's not like anybody ever went out hunting for Haibara or anything. *sarcasm* But yeah, you'd think that two geniuses would have realized this AGES ago (and yes, I'm well aware that it's just an anime and that Gosho has already defied so many logic before). But if I were in their shoes, you can doggone bet that the first thing I would do is change appearance (unless the thrill and excitement of being discovered prevents me from doing so). I KNOW I'm not the only one thinking this...

You're not the only one.

------------------------------------------

Anyway, I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but the fact that Kogoro and Sonoko "naturally" take credit every time they got tranquilized kind of annoys me. They never remember any detail, yet they have never suspected anything either. And noone seems to be bothered by the fact that they NEVER open their mouth while giving deductions. But of course if it had been otherwise then this series would have ended ages ago.

Also, sometimes Gosho draws Conan using the bowtie a little too openly, even right in front of other characters' face.

You're not the only one.

------------------------------------------

Anyway, I don't know if this has ever been mentioned but the fact that Kogoro and Sonoko "naturally" take credit every time they got tranquilized kind of annoys me. They never remember any detail, yet they have never suspected anything either. And noone seems to be bothered by the fact that they NEVER open their mouth while giving deductions. But of course if it had been otherwise then this series would have ended ages ago.

Also, sometimes Gosho draws Conan using the bowtie a little too openly, even right in front of other characters' face.

I'm sure that everyone assumes that being a great detective also means you are an equally great ventriloquist.

• Upvote 1

I think that is for art's sake so Gosho can draw the sleeping detective and Conan unobscured in the same panel. With only 15 panel pages, every panel has to count and make it clear for new readers what Conan is doing.

This has been bugging me since 2009, but why did Gin expect Kir to know Akai's phone number (to call Shuu out to Raiha pass) and/or why would Gin not wonder how Kir would know such info?

It's been two weeks since the last post, so the double post should be okay.

Honestly, all I want to know right now is

• Why Ran never questioned why Agasa said he couldn’t take care of Conan but then turned around and took in Ai? Was that ever explained at all?
  • How Yusaku was planning on taking Shinichi out of the country if “Conan” couldn’t fly overseas because of passport issues? Agasa said making fake passports is a crime, so is the ICPO allowed to do something like that?

The only thing that confuse me...

(not just me, including other family members)

-- How come they don't notice that they are being tranquilized... they just end up being proud of what they done but didn't know how?

~especially when after the investigation and Kogorou still sleeps...

-- How the end up sitting after tranquilized?

-- Why does their mouth doesn't open while speaking?

:))))))))

Kogorou does notice he doesn't remember anything, I remember at the start of one case that he repeatedly played a case he actually solved and remembered because he was proud he managed it. That shows at least some awareness, right?

Btw, people wondering why Haibara and Agasa don't team up to create an antidote, Agasa isn't the right type of scientist, he's more into the mechanical and engineering side of things, whereas Haibara not only worked on the APTX, but knows more about the medical and chemical side of things.

Yuusaku has contacts and a lot of influence. Also, considering that he knew Kaitou Kid's identity and never did anything about it, his view on which crimes are acceptable probably means that he would use illegal means like faking passports to get Conan out of the country if necessary.

The Kogorou always sitting down, that... isn't quite true, there have been some times when he's been lying down or in really awkward positions (like when he nearly fell off that balcony when he was tranq'd). However, it is for the most part, correct that he lands in a really convenient position when darted, I put it down to just a plot mechanism you're not supposed to question, one of the proper plot holes of the list...

This has been bugging me since 2009, but why did Gin expect Kir to know Akai's phone number (to call Shuu out to Raiha pass) and/or why would Gin not wonder how Kir would know such info?

Well, we do not know whether KIr knew Akai's phone number. All we saw was Gin forcing her to call Akai. It was then interrupted by the hotel case and when it comes back to them, Kir's already online. A possible explanation(of course, I do not have any prove)is that Gin gave her his old contact number as Rye.

Let's hope that Gosho does an epilogue/flashbacks and explain all these flaws.

In the shirigami case conan took the antidote by mistake but took him awhile to turn into a 17 year old but at the end of the case when shinichi turned back into conan, Ai gave conan another antidote and turned back into Shinichi right-away.

Why didn't Conan turn into shinichi right-away when he first took the antidote?

There where many places this happened.

• Upvote 1

This may sound rather selfish in Ai's side but I think she can create a permanent antidote for Conan considering that she didn't actually lose the data about the APTX. If the data is there, then most probably, with her knowledge could synthesized an antidote- a permanent one for their convenience. However, she deliberately lied about the data and so let us wondering for what reason. Personally, I think she doesn't want Conan to turn back to Shinichi just yet. Two possible motives might cover the supposition. One, she wants to protect Conan and herself from the organization. Or, she doesn't want him to be Shinichi once again as it would mean that he finally has a chance of being with Ran which if viewed by most of us would be quite difficult for Ai seeing that she must like Conan.

I think it could be the reason may lead to climax of Bourbon arc, if Ai allow, or hear from Shinichi personally he can use himself as bait for B.O. lure to trap but it's possible she will not permit him to do that, with reason the building has destroyed may give her phobia. If bit by poisoning spider person won't think to act.

I think Ai think this way, if there's Gin there's other member from other section may replace them then hunt Ai and Conan; it's impossible to defeat B.O. all and somewhat Gosho found hard to wrap up. if it's not spider it's python, or large snake.

Ah, about Sera, she might use this reason to retaliate back Haibara, because she may not get it why Ai not willing to risk it and letting Shinichi accepting protection after has some member responsible and throw to jail...

In the shirigami case conan took the antidote by mistake but took him awhile to turn into a 17 year old but at the end of the case when shinichi turned back into conan, Ai gave conan another antidote and turned back into Shinichi right-away.

Why didn't Conan turn into shinichi right-away when he first took the antidote?

There where many places this happened.

The duration of the drug's effects dramatically decrease per use, including the time it takes for him to transform. If you think about it, from the time Shinichi first took the drug in the Desperate Revival arc to the time he took it in the Shirigami case (twice) to the time he took it in the London arc (three times), the decreasing duration in which the drug remains in effect is pretty consistent.

This may sound rather selfish in Ai's side but I think she can create a permanent antidote for Conan considering that she didn't actually lose the data about the APTX. If the data is there, then most probably, with her knowledge could synthesized an antidote- a permanent one for their convenience. However, she deliberately lied about the data and so let us wondering for what reason. Personally, I think she doesn't want Conan to turn back to Shinichi just yet. Two possible motives might cover the supposition. One, she wants to protect Conan and herself from the organization. Or, she doesn't want him to be Shinichi once again as it would mean that he finally has a chance of being with Ran which if viewed by most of us would be quite difficult for Ai seeing that she must like Conan.

If I remember correctly, the research laboratories where Shiho examined the data about the APTX were destroyed and the floppy disk which had a copy of the APTX data was terminated by the Night Baron virus (mounted by the BO). So I think the data is indeed lost. And if she really didn't want Conan to return back to Shinichi, she wouldn't be using him as a "test dummy" for research purposes.

If I remember correctly, the research laboratories where Shiho examined the data about the APTX were destroyed and the floppy disk which had a copy of the APTX data was terminated by the Night Baron virus (mounted by the BO). So I think the data is indeed lost. And if she really didn't want Conan to return back to Shinichi, she wouldn't be using him as a "test dummy" for research purposes.

She's been shown to have the one from the fire or whatever that was that she told Conan she didn't recover. I don't have a pict of it handy, but I know Chek has posted it here or on DCTP. Haibara has something with the data still.

She's been shown to have the one from the fire or whatever that was that she told Conan she didn't recover. I don't have a pict of it handy, but I know Chek has posted it here or on DCTP. Haibara has something with the data still.

I found the picture you were talking about:

imgbloodydiskep188manga.png

Though, it's not confirmed that the disk has any APTX data on it. And Chek quote and quote said, "What (besides drug data) is on the bloody disk that Haibara lied about losing at the Haido City Hotel?" (from the "Unresolved plots in Detective Conan" topic). The disk is still a mystery though...

I found the picture you were talking about:

imgbloodydiskep188manga.png

Though, it's not confirmed that the disk has any APTX data on it. And Chek quote and quote said, "What (besides drug data) is on the bloody disk that Haibara lied about losing at the Haido City Hotel?" (from the "Unresolved plots in Detective Conan" topic). The disk is still a mystery though...

I don't have the manga on me to check but she said she was downloading the drug data on to Agasa's disk earlier in the chap. Also we know from Haibara's intro case where they wanted to get back a floppy that the drug data often comes with other info, including real names and sponsors.

^wait a sec, what’s this talk about? O_o is it manga stuff only? (I don’t read the manga… yet)

I don’t remember names of places such as “Haido City Hotel”… what’s that about?

That actually bugged me, too. But I just brushed it off thinking that it is just me... Maybe, just maybe... if this isn't a flaw. Gin did find it suspicious, so he used it to his and the boss advantage, so they kept quite about it, to see if Kir could kill Akai. After confirming seeing how Kir did kill Akai, the organization decided to keep her for further use. By knowing that she might be actually a secret agent, they keep their top secret information from her, while giving her the least risky ones. It's hard to put it into words but... but I'm sure you'll get what I'm trying to say.

Though, I do believe that if the organization do know that Kir is a secret agent, they'll kill her right on the spot. Especially since the boss is really cautious according to Vermouth.

In regards to Haibara still not being able to make a permanent antidote to APTX, in my opinion even if she did manage to create it, it won't really be all that useful. Shinichi got lucky when he survived the poison because he could take on the identity of Conan and hide himself from the BO. If he took the antidote now he would just be targeted. So maybe it's possible Haibara has almost finished the cure but sees no reason to tell Conan yet.

Regarding Shinichi not telling Ran the truth, this most likely just has to do with the whole concept of the storyline. While it may be true that by not telling her the truth that Shinichi is protecting Ran, it's really not all that serious since like 6+ other people already know his identity. The main reasons she can't find out is because the story would just be boring/awkward (imagine a case where Conan doesn't have to pretend to be a child to fool Ran anymore and so he can just solve the case himself without using Mouri). Also Shinichi said a couple times already that he "won't tell Ran how he feels untill he gets his original body back", and I believe he'll do just that.

Also I think I noticed a bit of a plothole. When Kaitou Kid was first introduced to the series Conan had never heard of him before. Yet in one of the specials they showed a little duel between Shinichi (before he was turned into Conan) and Kid, are we supposed to believe he forgot about that -_-? (Although this is just from the anime, if this isn't canon then I guess it would make sense).

In regards to Haibara still not being able to make a permanent antidote to APTX, in my opinion even if she did manage to create it, it won't really be all that useful. Shinichi got lucky when he survived the poison because he could take on the identity of Conan and hide himself from the BO. If he took the antidote now he would just be targeted. So maybe it's possible Haibara has almost finished the cure but sees no reason to tell Conan yet.

Regarding Shinichi not telling Ran the truth, this most likely just has to do with the whole concept of the storyline. While it may be true that by not telling her the truth that Shinichi is protecting Ran, it's really not all that serious since like 6+ other people already know his identity. The main reasons she can't find out is because the story would just be boring/awkward (imagine a case where Conan doesn't have to pretend to be a child to fool Ran anymore and so he can just solve the case himself without using Mouri). Also Shinichi said a couple times already that he "won't tell Ran how he feels untill he gets his original body back", and I believe he'll do just that.

Also I think I noticed a bit of a plothole. When Kaitou Kid was first introduced to the series Conan had never heard of him before. Yet in one of the specials they showed a little duel between Shinichi (before he was turned into Conan) and Kid, are we supposed to believe he forgot about that -_-? (Although this is just from the anime, if this isn't canon then I guess it would make sense).

That was a Kaitou Kid chapter actually... So... yeah it is technically manga canon. In Gosho's defense though, he wrote Kid's introduction in DC before he wrote the Kid chapter that had Shinichi in it.

He did tell Ran how he feels... In his own body, but it was still before the completed antidote.

As for luck that he survived... I have a theory it has nothing at all to do with luck, but with the person's immune system. It all ties into my theoretical analysis. Gosho is a smart guy, and he consulted with his brother about APTX. Based on what I know about drugs and toxins, I have started to type up a lengthy analysis and subsequent theory. But lets say for now that APTX is not nor can it ever be a plot hole. And a permanent antidote has not been made, because Ai doesn't have something she needs to create the antidote with.

I have my own query on a minor flaw in this series.

Why does it seems that Conan uses the voice changer bow tie of his without any problem? There are times wherein he has yet to hear the voice of the person he will mimic, but is able to pull it off effortlessly. And it seems that by just revolving the circle on his bow tie randomly, he can manage to mimic the voice of the person he needs to.

I have my own query on a minor flaw in this series.

Why does it seems that Conan uses the voice changer bow tie of his without any problem? There are times wherein he has yet to hear the voice of the person he will mimic, but is able to pull it off effortlessly. And it seems that by just revolving the circle on his bow tie randomly, he can manage to mimic the voice of the person he needs to.

Pitch and frequency if I remember correctly. Using both and his perfect pitch ears he can set the bow tie to mimic any persons voice perfectly