Detective Conan World
Kaitou Kid's Killer

Flaws, contradictions, and plotholes in Detective Conan

Hi. I wasn't sure where to make my comment, so I thought this was an okay place to say my thoughts.

I'm hoping I could get some feedback and thoughts on this as well.

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread.

I find it odd that the BO gave Shinichi APTX 4869. I believe the reason why Gin used the toxin to try it out and kill Shinichi, while leaving few traces behind.

But they never checked up on how successful it was? Like, I would think if a famous high school detective, the son of a famous novelist, died, that it would be all over the news. I don't think it would be hard to find, "high school student murdered/found dead in a theme park."

And considering such news never came up, must surely mean that Shinichi was still alive right?

Even if they didn't check on this, they never bothered to test this drug on other people?

There are a lot of other plots holes I believe, but I think this one doesn't make sense to me.

Unless I am understanding this incorrectly, idk.

Hi. I wasn't sure where to make my comment, so I thought this was an okay place to say my thoughts.

I'm hoping I could get some feedback and thoughts on this as well.

Sorry if I am posting in the wrong thread.

I find it odd that the BO gave Shinichi APTX 4869. I believe the reason why Gin used the toxin to try it out and kill Shinichi, while leaving few traces behind.

But they never checked up on how successful it was? Like, I would think if a famous high school detective, the son of a famous novelist, died, that it would be all over the news. I don't think it would be hard to find, "high school student murdered/found dead in a theme park."

And considering such news never came up, must surely mean that Shinichi was still alive right?

Even if they didn't check on this, they never bothered to test this drug on other people?

There are a lot of other plots holes I believe, but I think this one doesn't make sense to me.

Unless I am understanding this incorrectly, idk.

This question was asked by someone before... In this thread... (I think the end of page 1 and the beginning of page 2)

And I believe its quite convince (I was convinced) so you can check it out if you want...

people keep saying they dont age, I get it!!! but it's nessisary (sorry spelled wrong :o ) to keep the episode going and the anime alive!! I have no problem with it if they age or dont.  ^_^ but it would be interesting if one day, there was a side effect and Conan is like 12 suddenly which surprises everyone, and Ran gets suspicious cause he looks like Shinichi!!!!!!!!!! ^_^  just a thought  :P  :lol:

One of the strangest things I found in DC is like mentioned above in the First Shrink, why does Gin give Shinichi a mysterious drug. I know that Gin wanted quiet murder and tried to not alert the police nearby, but he is an assassin and furthermore a supervising agent in the BO as hinted later in the series. Thus he could have carried a silencer with him, since Gin himself said that the drug could shrink someone and not actually kill a person. So why would the infamous ingenious Gin risk a 50% chance on giving a high school detective a shrinking drug instead of a better more assuring death of the detective. Which led to myself thinking sometimes if Gin actually didn't want the death of Shinichi but gave him the chance to live and to try to bring the BO down. If one would think of it, of all the people Gin faced and got the chance to kill only 3 survived: 1. Shinichi, 2. Sherry, 3. Shuuichi . Could it be that he faked his attempt to kill them only not to alert his actions to fellow colleague (Vodka) and actually let them be since they are the smartest of all his victims as he did stop exactly at the closet in which Conan was hiding, or it could be just a wrong idea and Gin actually tried to get rid of them but was beaten in his own game.

But it does makes one wonder about Gin's loyalty to the BO, any agent can betray the BO. Kir an undercover CIA agent, Vermouth a secret keeper and very mysterious to her own colleagues who wants the end of the BO, Vodka who seems to be loyal to Gin and for a BO agent isn't that smart, Chianti and Korn who are fond of assassinating than following orders and does seem as hot headed. Pisco who is easily betrayed by Anokata for his mistake, Bourbon, Rye and Scotch who are spies. To me those who seems as most loyal are Calvados who shot himself after Shuu got the best of him, Tequila who died in an accidental bombing, and RUM whom we don't know much as of yet.

One of the strangest things I found in DC is like mentioned above in the First Shrink, why does Gin give Shinichi a mysterious drug. I know that Gin wanted quiet murder and tried to not alert the police nearby, but he is an assassin and furthermore a supervising agent in the BO as hinted later in the series. Thus he could have carried a silencer with him, since Gin himself said that the drug could shrink someone and not actually kill a person. So why would the infamous ingenious Gin risk a 50% chance on giving a high school detective a shrinking drug instead of a better more assuring death of the detective.

Did he ever say that the drug may not actually kill but shrink the victim?

I don't actually remember something like that said by Gin before...

I remember him saying that the drug (APTX4869) kills the victim without leaving any trace in the body.. thus the police may assume that the victim (shinichi) died normally...and not because of the drug or other reasons.... Gin did that to clear the suspicion of a murder and put him out of the matter and as usual the BO never leave evidence.

And I never think he thinks of letting them live or as you said... didn't kill them so they could take the BO down... I actually think he is so loyal to the BO...

Thats my opinion though...

Did he ever say that the drug may not actually kill but shrink the victim?

I don't actually remember something like that said by Gin before...

I remember him saying that the drug (APTX4869) kills the victim without leaving any trace in the body.. thus the police may assume that the victim (shinichi) died normally...and not because of the drug or other reasons.... Gin did that to clear the suspicion of a murder and put him out of the matter and as usual the BO never leave evidence.

And I never think he thinks of letting them live or as you said... didn't kill them so they could take the BO down... I actually think he is so loyal to the BO...

Thats my opinion though...

That is right according to obvious facts, but nonetheless it's a strange case that Gin does what he does without the exact science of the drug that like any other drug would lead to side effects.. Just saying, and also everything is possible. I do think too that Gin is loyal to BO, but there is the anything can happen case within the DC series..

I just watched Lupin III vs Detective Conan (2009) movie.

At the end, Lupin somehow knows Conan's identity.

I understand that they wanted to close up some loose ends, such as Conan's passport, but still...

I just think this was a bit far fetched and unexplained how Lupin and the gang could know so much.

Or how Conan didn't realize he was in the car with them in the first place. :l

I love ConRan but to think that Conan fools Ran for 20 years :3...oh dear :D.... We, the ShinRan fans are obviously waiting for Conan to reveal his true identity to Ran but god -_-...its been 20 years!and to think that Ran let herself be fooled by a 4 eyed-glasses kid?!it's pretty obvious that Conan have the same characteristics as Shinichi and for a 1st grader kid how impossible it is to solve a crime and wander around at a crime scene and the way Conan reacts whenever Ran mentions "Shinichi" and the way he protects Ran to the point that he's willing to sacrifice his life for Ran.....ohw and he's so smart for a 1st grader :3(come on Ran it's pretty obvious :3)

I love ConRan but to think that Conan fools Ran for 20 years :3...oh dear :D.... We, the ShinRan fans are obviously waiting for Conan to reveal his true identity to Ran but god -_-...its been 20 years!and to think that Ran let herself be fooled by a 4 eyed-glasses kid?!it's pretty obvious that Conan have the same characteristics as Shinichi and for a 1st grader kid how impossible it is to solve a crime and wander around at a crime scene and the way Conan reacts whenever Ran mentions "Shinichi" and the way he protects Ran to the point that he's willing to sacrifice his life for Ran.....ohw and he's so smart for a 1st grader :3(come on Ran it's pretty obvious :3)

I always thought about it this way: it's easier to assume the improbable rather than the impossible. It's much easier to assume that Conan just happens to be extremely attuned to mysteries and also just happens to be extremely intelligent for his age, as well as wave off characteristics that are reminiscent of Shinichi as coincidence. After all, the alternative, that Shinichi was somehow shrunk into a child is outright impossible, and requires a few assumptions that are very difficult to assume (that there happens to be a drug that shrinks people, for one). It seems obvious to us because we are aware of things that Ran is not. It's dramatic irony.

The biggest flaw in DC is how Mouri Kogoro doesn't suspect Conan at all. Yeah, he did once, but after that he never did again. It's too obvious for Kogoro that the one who makes him sleep is Conan. He even struck him once with a stun gun in the hands face to face. You may say that Kogoro is an idiot but even an idiot can't be fooled by that.

I'm pretty sure it's really for the sake of the plot and nothing else but if it's not for that, he had probably been caught around 700 episodes ago :P

The biggest flaw in DC is how Mouri Kogoro doesn't suspect Conan at all. Yeah, he did once, but after that he never did again. It's too obvious for Kogoro that the one who makes him sleep is Conan. He even struck him once with a stun gun in the hands face to face. You may say that Kogoro is an idiot but even an idiot can't be fooled by that.

I'm pretty sure it's really for the sake of the plot and nothing else but if it's not for that, he had probably been caught around 700 episodes ago :P

I might go overboard with this, but it might be that the stun gun have side effects like making the victim forget the last thing they ever saw before being stunned. Just a wild theory that cannot be confirmed, but Conan is genius so he might anticipated that thus making this theory plausible..

Is it that obvious? For one, I distinctly recall that Conan prefers to fire outside his line of vision. Two, I doubt Kogoro would have much recollection of the events as the sleeping agent enters his system. Three, Kogoro has a lazy train of thought, and probably that wouldn't come to mind. I dunno. It does reek of too much divine status quo.

Is it that obvious? For one, I distinctly recall that Conan prefers to fire outside his line of vision. Two, I doubt Kogoro would have much recollection of the events as the sleeping agent enters his system. Three, Kogoro has a lazy train of thought, and probably that wouldn't come to mind. I dunno. It does reek of too much divine status quo.

He fired once face to face with Kogoro. I think it was on the episode where Kogoro was asked by someone to be a model for painting. I do not remember the number of that episode exactly but it was around season 2-4. I dunno if it's a filler though.

The second one, Im sure he remembers the events just at the time the needle hits him.

As for the third one, I'll agree but I doubt that he is that too lazy to even wonder about it. I'll just assume that he just doesn't mind it all since he takes the credit anyway.

I might go overboard with this, but it might be that the stun gun have side effects like making the victim forget the last thing they ever saw before being stunned. Just a wild theory that cannot be confirmed, but Conan is genius so he might anticipated that thus making this theory plausible..

Yeah that's a bit overboard. It's trying to create a reason to plug the holes in the plot. And anyway, Conan didn't ask for the creation of Stun Gun wrist watch if I remember. It was Agasa who completely thought of it and Conan had no say on the specifications of the watch. Plus the first time Kogoro was made to sleep, Conan didn't use the stun gun. Still, Kogoro acted the same like he didn't remember a thing.

Also when Gin was hit by the Stun Gun? He did react to it, right? and he was able to stop its effect. That means the effect of the stun watch isn't immediate after hitting. So if there's a drug that delivers amnesia to the user, its effects should start just sometime after the needle hit the person, not when the needle hits the person. This means that the person should atleast remember the needle hitting him/her and everything before it.

Also, it seems like Kogoro sleeps continuously until at least Conan finishes his deduction. He never even waked up once, in the middle of the deduction. Unless he's faking it, this is kinda unrealistic lol.

I forget if I mentioned this one, but it derailed a whole case solution for me. In the red wall case, there was no damage to the door or the trolley where the man was locked in. If a healthy man is not tied up in a locked room you would think he would definitely try breaking down the door or busting the lock before throwing everything out of the room right? That made me think he was actually tied up, and it was the culprit who painted the red on the wall and nailed down the black and white chairs.

I also thought it was strange the guy wouldn't break the window and then drop out. It's definitely possible to fall three stories and live. The chance to break your legs is better than dying of dehydration.

I used to have a list of flaws from Gosho's cases somewhere...

• Upvote 1

yeah that's a bit overboard. It's trying to create a reason to plug the holes in the plot. And anyway, Conan didn't ask for the creation of Stun Gun wrist watch if I remember. It was Agasa who completely thought of it and Conan had no say on the specifications of the watch. Plus the first time Kogoro was made to sleep, Conan didn't use the stun gun. Still, Kogoro acted the same like he didn't remember a thing.

Also when Gin was hit by the Stun Gun? He did react to it, right? and he was able to stop its effect. That means the effect of the stun watch isn't immediate after hitting. So if there's a drug that delivers amnesia to the user, its effects should start just sometime after the needle hit the person, not when the needle hits the person. This means that the person should atleast remember the needle hitting him/her and everything before it.

Also, it seems like Kogoro sleeps continuously until at least Conan finishes his deduction. He never even waked up once, in the middle of the deduction. Unless he's faking it, this is kinda unrealistic lol.

I know it is a weak theory, don't you remember that in the Mycroft longings case Heiji was shot with the wrist watch and wasn't affected as he pretended to sleep to deduce Conan's id....Anyways it is probably made like that to continue the story, or if I might go overboard again..Mouri actually knows that he is made to sleep and just pretends to forget for a bigger agenda...XD 

I know it is a weak theory, don't you remember that in the Mycroft longings case Heiji was shot with the wrist watch and wasn't affected as he pretended to sleep to deduce Conan's id....Anyways it is probably made like that to continue the story, or if I might go overboard again..Mouri actually knows that he is made to sleep and just pretends to forget for a bigger agenda...XD

lol that's my theory :P but the Sleeping Sonoko shatters the theory though

It really bothers me how DC almost always takes the same route when solving cases.

-Conan meets random person (people) that is (are) inevitably going to be associated with a case

-Someone is killed/almost killed/kidnapped/etc.

-Conan realizes that random person/one of the random people might be the culprit

-Conan finds item that becomes a key to solving the case or he becomes inspired by it

-Random person that Conan happened to meet turns out to be the culprit

...either that, or Conan finds a random item (that the culprit intended to get rid of) that leads him to the culprit. The outcome is still the same.

If the case is not exactly in this format, I'm willing to bet that it's awfully close.

Basically, what irritates me the most is that the majority of the cases that Conan solves these days are purely based on luck, and that he happens to find information that serve in his favor. What if he never ran into this random person/item that happened to be associated with this case?

If instead, he blindly walked into a murder case located in a shopping mall with 100+ people without meeting anyone or finding anything beforehand, how would he solve the case? That's what I'd rather watch. I'm seriously sick of the "Conan happens to be at the right place at the right time" gimmick--which is okay once in a while, but after it's relied on for the vast majority of the series, a lot of people are going to get ticked off. The foundation of the show is no longer chiefly based on Conan's abilities as a detective, but rather on his improbable luck. The title "Detective Conan" ends up losing half of its meaning. Sure, he still utilizes his deductive skills for the case, but that's only after all of the information he needs is spoon-fed to him.

I don't know if it's exactly a plothole, but it really bothered me, in the head to head match with the black organization, from the way Kogoro was talking to Shinichi, shouldn't Vodka suspect that they're related? Not only that but based on the way that Kogoro reacted to his appearance, it's clear that he knows that he's alive, so even though it turned out that Shinichi was Heji in disguise, shouldn't Vodka have said that Shinichi is probably alive and Kogoro is related to him?

I always thought about it this way: it's easier to assume the improbable rather than the impossible. It's much easier to assume that Conan just happens to be extremely attuned to mysteries and also just happens to be extremely intelligent for his age, as well as wave off characteristics that are reminiscent of Shinichi as coincidence. After all, the alternative, that Shinichi was somehow shrunk into a child is outright impossible, and requires a few assumptions that are very difficult to assume (that there happens to be a drug that shrinks people, for one). It seems obvious to us because we are aware of things that Ran is not. It's dramatic irony.

The dramatic irony was cute in the early years, but it really needs to be done away with.

Stalling development on the BO makes sense if not a bit annoying, because too much development on that front would lead to having to end the series.

But letting Ran in on things would not only not lead to the end of the series, but it would open up a lot of side story possibilities and character growth.

Plus if you need dramatic irony, you'd have Ran and Conan's relationship improving for the better as the secrecy between them is over, but they still can't be together as long as Conan is stuck in his predicament.  Or in short, they're together proximity wise, but can't be together as a couple still.

:lol: But still their too many things which are unsolved or have bugs. Specifically If GIN is shown as intelligent as akai or conan then he should know that KUDO SHINNICHI is alive not because of VODKA's comment but because of KUDO's involvement in many case and media.

But Shinichi didn't appear in the media or anything (it was a plotpoint that he avoided media coverage during The Desperate Revival and the Shiragami Case). He solved some cases over the phone, but nothing the media would ever talk about and Gin would have no way to know that Shinichi solved cases over the phone. If anything, Shinichi's sudden disappearance from the media would just confirm that he is dead to Gin (if Gin would remember him, which he doesn't because he kills so many people that he doesn't have time to remember all of the faces and names)