Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

What's on Your Mind?

OMM 1: This is the busiest weekend I've had in quite a while and I've fortunately been enjoying the majority of it \o/

OMM 2: Giant Eagle cakes are surprisingly good

OMM 3: Etrian Odyssey's mapping feature is actually really fun tumblr_m42rkciWcq1r58lid.png

That makes sense. Kinda hard to find someone making commentaries with a good sense of humor though. Heck, when I'm gonna watch someone playing it, I'd rather they don't have commentaries. Just straight to business.

Haha, I can't argue with you there

Most of people with good commentary are just people I happen to stumble across. Many of the more better-known commentators just aren't...that funny, ahahah.....

like, if you enjoy watching or playing LoL, Dunkey is always a classic

No need to apologize.  I don't mind at all, and I don't think we've broken any forum rules (okay, maybe we have in the other thread...)

You don't have to force yourself to read it again if you don't want to and/or don't have the time, haha.  If there was a good movie adaptation, I would recommend that, but from what I've seen nothing can do the book justice.  If only a Tale of Two Cities movie was made in the same style as the 2012 Les Miserables movie, it would have been something worthy checking out.

Hrm, I may have to get around to 1984 then.  Don't know why I never got the chance to read it during high school.  And yes, isawwutudidthar, haha.  The Little Princess is a really quick but worthwhile read.  I think it took me a little under two hours to read it all, so if you have time for a movie but don't want to watch a movie and happen to have a spare copy of the book lying around, hunker down for a little bit and finish it in one sitting.  It's best experienced that way, haha.

Ah, I see.  I used to watch the Angry Video Game Nerd a lot back before he started doing other stuff with his videos, mainly because he purposely goes out of his way to play crappy retro games, ones I would never have played or heard of otherwise.  The commentary was pretty good, though I haven't seen his videos in ages so I'm not sure how they hold up today.  His oldest video was uploaded 9 years ago, haha.  I guess I'm also cool with watching plot-less games like Smash, Mario Kart, and Splatoon and have people commentate, because it doesn't really detract from the experience.  Rush Hour Smash does a pretty good job with that, if you're at all into the competitive side of Smash.  But if it's something plot based like a visual novel, I steer clear.  Commentary hurts those games more so than any other, and not to mention there are spoilery thumbnails all over YouTube.  If I can't get my hands on one of those games to experience personally and individually, emulator or otherwise, I refuse to experience it all.  I'd rather completely miss out on an experience than have it delivered to me in an adulterated state.  Heh, in general I'm just not the biggest fan of full out Let's Plays.  Eheheh, I probably sound like a snob, but like anime, a video game is an expressive form of entertainment that needs to be appreciated like a good book or movie: alone and at your own pace.

well, in our defense, we did have a paragraph dedicated to video games in that other thread, haha

nah, I'm just rather surprised that you liked the book

But then again, it's already been around three years since I last read it so maybe I'll pick it up again when I have the time. Who knows? My viewpoint of the novel may have changed since then, and I trust your judgment.

And I guess that means I'll have to add The Little Prince to the backlog of books I need to read as well, lol

Hmm, I've never heard of those YouTubers before. I don't watch as many Let's Plays as I used to because the videos tend to be >20min, which ends up being really time-consuming despite how entertaining some can be. I mainly watch hack playthroughs and RoosterTeeth's Rage Quit (it comes out biweekly, which I'm perfectly happy with) nowadays. I think the reason why I love Let's Plays so much is because I usually can't get my hands on the games that I want to play. Watching someone else play it fills that void and it feels like secondhand experience as well. I also enjoy watching/listening to the discussion of the game as it's being played and the added commentary can deliver more entertainment value when done right.

And sometimes there may be a stage of a game that can be particularly rage-inducing, which can force people to resort to playthroughs *cough* Touhou Lunatic mode *cough*. But in those instances, people may only watch the playthroughs just to ogle at how the gamers manage accomplish the utterly impossible (c'mon, admit it, you've done this before, haha). Speed-runs of games like Super Meat Boy also provide a similar form of this catharsis.

While I'll admit that Let's Plays can't beat firsthand experience, understand that many people out there also can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on games (the ones on consoles like the Wii(U) and Xbox can get especially pricey). So what better way to experience the games than to watch playthroughs like Let's Plays? Personally, I think it's better than not experiencing them at all.

Anywhooooo...

OMM1: Stayed up so late last night working on my project, that when I finally finished and had the urge to stargaze because it was a cloudless night, the sky was already starting to light back up......

OMM2: PIXELS looks so bad and so good at the same time.  I'm probably going to check it out when it releases.

lol I did something similar a few days ago.

I needed to put together a video for a project, but I was too tired at the time so I took a "nap" at 11pm and woke myself up at 2am to finish it. I didn't finish until the sun was up, which really caught me by surprise.

And that PIXELS movie... I didn't believe you at first, but damn.

---

OMM: I got to suture a pig's foot in my bio class a few days ago

it was kinda weird, and the experience was... interesting, lol

On My Mind #1: Just heard that Ireland passed the Same-Sex marriage referendum/law through popular voting. Gahhh.... lot more countries to go.

On My Mind #2: I'm turning to a coffee addict D:

On My Mind #1: Just heard that Ireland passed the Same-Sex marriage referendum/law through popular voting. Gahhh.... lot more countries to go.

There's still a bunch of countries that have yet to legalize (and in some, decriminalize) same sex marriage but with Ireland voting in favor of legalizing it, that's one less country that has yet to take that step! 

There's still a bunch of countries that have yet to legalize (and in some, decriminalize) same sex marriage but with Ireland voting in favor of legalizing it, that's one less country that has yet to take that step! 

Yeah. Still waiting for my country to pretty much legalize same sex marriage. We are pretty much near that. High hopes for the other countries out there too.

Yeah. Still waiting for my country to pretty much legalize same sex marriage. We are pretty much near that. High hopes for the other countries out there too.

I'm glad to hear the country you live in seems to be getting close to the point of same sex marriage being legalized! Hopefully other countries will be following suit over the next couple years! It seems the most progress regarding LGBT+ rights has to, unsurprisingly, be made in the Middle East and Africa but considering the pace LGBT+ rights have been going at hopefully (and I say that optimistically) marriage equality (and just better treatment of LGBT+ persons in general) isn't too far down the road for those countries as well!

I'm glad to hear the country you live in seems to be getting close to the point of same sex marriage being legalized! Hopefully other countries will be following suit over the next couple years! It seems the most progress regarding LGBT+ rights has to, unsurprisingly, be made in the Middle East and Africa but considering the pace LGBT+ rights have been going at hopefully (and I say that optimistically) marriage equality (and just better treatment of LGBT+ persons in general) isn't too far down the road for those countries as well!

Hoping for the best! *fingers crossed*

On My Mind: What to watch?

Hmm, I've never heard of those YouTubers before. I don't watch as many Let's Plays as I used to because the videos tend to be >20min, which ends up being really time-consuming despite how entertaining some can be. I mainly watch hack playthroughs and RoosterTeeth's Rage Quit (it comes out biweekly, which I'm perfectly happy with) nowadays. I think the reason why I love Let's Plays so much is because I usually can't get my hands on the games that I want to play. Watching someone else play it fills that void and it feels like secondhand experience as well. I also enjoy watching/listening to the discussion of the game as it's being played and the added commentary can deliver more entertainment value when done right.

And sometimes there may be a stage of a game that can be particularly rage-inducing, which can force people to resort to playthroughs *cough* Touhou Lunatic mode *cough*. But in those instances, people may only watch the playthroughs just to ogle at how the gamers manage accomplish the utterly impossible (c'mon, admit it, you've done this before, haha). Speed-runs of games like Super Meat Boy also provide a similar form of this catharsis.

While I'll admit that Let's Plays can't beat firsthand experience, understand that many people out there also can't afford to spend hundreds of dollars on games (the ones on consoles like the Wii(U) and Xbox can get especially pricey). So what better way to experience the games than to watch playthroughs like Let's Plays? Personally, I think it's better than not experiencing them at all.

Ahh, we have so much in common it still comes as quite the shock when we find something we disagree nearly completely on, haha.  Well, it seems nothing I can say to you will change your mind about Let's Plays, and nothing you say will get me to change my stance either.  Arguing any longer will probably just tire us both out at this point.  We're both too stubborn for our own goods anyway, ahah.

On my mind: Barbeque tonight. :'D

Welp, looks like my anime recommendation has fallen on deaf ears.  Don't worry, I'm not implying you're hard of hearing; I'm just soft spoken.

Welp, looks like my anime recommendation has fallen on deaf ears.  Don't worry, I'm not implying you're hard of hearing; I'm just soft spoken.

Watcha sayin'? Can't hear ya mate; speak a little louder.

But yeah, sorry about that. :P Anyway, I'm not sure I'd watch the one you recommended; I'm quite picky when it comes to anime.

Also, I just noticed *barbecue psh

I'm quite irked by the fact that I'll be back to school in less than a week, while my brother will get a month-long extension for his vacation. His school gives him zero homework and his classes end really early, while I always find myself falling into an abyss of endless schoolwork and our classes end incredibly late. Sigh.

I'm quite irked by the fact that I'll be back to school in less than a week, while my brother will get a month-long extension for his vacation. His school gives him zero homework and his classes end really early, while I always find myself falling into an abyss of endless schoolwork and our classes end incredibly late. Sigh.

What grade is your brother in?