Detective Conan World
Monsi

What should I do to learn Japanese?

Good day guys!

Which is a better way of learning the Japanese language, self-study or study at language centers offering Japanese language courses? I was planning to study Japanese language not only for watching DC episodes, but also for abroad. I am planning to work in Japan after I finish in college.

I have a Nintendo DS Lite, so I figured I could pick up a copy of "My Japanese Coach" and go from there... I got to lesson 30, and then set it aside... I'd like to go back to it, because I felt like I was learning, but I don't know when that'll happen

I think part of it might depend on whether you know any other languages... I'm not fluent in anything but English, unfortunately, but when I was little I was started on Hebrew, and later French... so the language learning skills are there, it's just a matter of sitting down and doing it. If you haven't been exposed to other languages, it would most likely prove more beneficial to have a live teacher

Oh, I see. Well, does watching Japanese anime with subtitles could help?

it might help a little... there are words I've picked up because they were said in an isolated context (making the subtitle obviously mean that word)... but having a structured program will probably be better, because then you are able to start learning about grammar structures and particle words that don't quite exist in English

I see. Good thing I'm watching subbed DC episodes. :P Well, thanks for the advice, and have a good day ahead! :-D

Nope, I'm taking up Computer Science.

Anyway, I have seen the site, but I think I couldn't afford the fees.

Self-study idea:

First would be the usual, looking for your inspiration, goal, blah, blah, blah.

Second would be getting a good source to study Japanese. There are a lot of guides out there. Choose the guides that teaches you Hiragana and Katakana first. Don't choose the guides in romaji because acc. to some people, it's like a trap, telling you it's easy, but it's harder in the late part of the learning.

Third would be, assuming you have mastered the guide or something, look for another guide. Repeating step 2 would be great but there aren't much great Japanese guides out there but trying them all would be nice. Be wary though that it might confuse you some times so make sure your source is reliable. (Hopefully, using the a romaji guide would be fine; just make sure you know what hiragana or katakana to use. If you don't, don't bother learning with that guide.)

Fourth would be watching anime without subtitle (soft subs would be great), make your own translation in a pad or something, check it out if it has the same thought with the translation of the subbers. (At this step, you might need a Japanese to English dictionary.)

The fourth step was something from Subculture Anime Blog. :3 Alternatively, you could go to Japanese chat rooms (and talk to 'em); make sure it's your preferred topic or it might bore you.

At this time, you should be able to translate them immediately without having to think about which word goes.

You are now good to go but let me tell you something, you might not be fluent in Japanese (especially in the accentuation part) but when you meet fluent Japanese-speaking people, don't be bothered or feel negative about them speaking fluently and you trying hard to speak fluently. It's fairly natural especially since you're not from Japan (making it not unusual). (Some people might make fun of you, probably idiots, but reasonable people wouldn't do that.)

---

I have read a Japanese guide, not even halfway through. These are just some tips I got from a lot of people while searching about Japanese. And by the way, I can't read/understand/write Japanese. These are tips from someone who doesn't know Japanese. (Of course, a person who watches anime like me should know some of the basics like the honorific titles.)

And yeah, all of these are my ideas and thoughts. They aren't necessarily facts. :3

it might help a little... there are words I've picked up because they were said in an isolated context (making the subtitle obviously mean that word)... but having a structured program will probably be better, because then you are able to start learning about grammar structures and particle words that don't quite exist in English

Okay... this is a trick connected to that...

DISCLAIMER: the more Japanese you know, the better this trick works.

Steps....

1. Find anime episode w/ English subtitles
  2. Watch it.. all of it...
  3. right after the anime is finished... (it's important you do it RIGHT AFTER) you watch it again RAW..

How this works...

• Since you just saw it... you can pretty much guess what they are saying... Think of it as a way to help you train ears to listen to Japanese
  • You know what is going on so even if there are no Subs you can still follow with the story..
  • This is like the opposite of a speaking exercise.. instead of training your tongue you train your ears... listen..

FREE LEARN JAPANESE RESOURCES!!!!

Favorite Learn Japanese Sites... (these are FREE... I AM NOT SELLING ANYTHING)

http://www.japanesethroughanime.com/ (Watch his Videos)

http://www.tokyosurvival.com/ (Read and learn about Japan)

http://anime-manga.jp/ (play the games)

http://lang-8.com/ (make an journal entry and have real Japanese native speakers correct you) (Some people are even nice enough to help you through Skype)

http://www.genkijapan.net/ (listen to the songs)

http://www.tofugu.com/ (Read Japanese Articles)

Things to Download...

Rikaichan

(FireFox)

http://www.polarcloud.com/rikaichan/

-This helps tells you what kanji means.. (translation, definition, Part of Speech.etc)

How to Download

-hit link

-click the link under "Download the Firefox/Thunderbird/Seamonkey add-on" it should say "Rikaichan" (this downloads the addon)

-then for Dictionary files get "Japanese-English" and "Japanese Names"

-Restart FireFox

-you should now see an orange happy face somewhere on the tool-bars or something... click it to activate Rikaichan

......message me if you want entertaining "Japanese Language Sensei" Youtubers....

• Upvote 1

Second would be getting a good source to study Japanese. There are a lot of guides out there. Choose the guides that teaches you Hiragana and Katakana first. Don't choose the guides in romaji because acc. to some people, it's like a trap, telling you it's easy, but it's harder in the late part of the learning.

If your main goal is speaking/listening, and you could care lessabout writting, I don't see what would be wrong about a romaji guide,but I've heard about that too XD Even if it wasn't just

speaking/listening, I don't get the big deal using it in the beginning. Hiragana and Katakana are fairly easy to learn.

For anyone learning Hiragana/Katakana I'd highly recommend using a typing game such as Miracle Notan and Kichiku Megane to aid you~

Originally I used Flash cards, and they helped me learn, but I'd be slow at recalling them, when I used a typing program that has time trials, within a week I could wizz through anything I read -pronounciation wise, granted furigana was included XD-

Fourth would be watching anime without subtitle (soft subs would be great), make your own translation in a pad or something, check it out if it has the same thought with the translation of the subbers. (At this step, you might need a Japanese to English dictionary.)

Adding onto this thought!

For anyone who doesn't have softsubs you could actually do something like this to hide your subs -assuming you don't have to pause after everyline xD-

tumblr_mn4bgpJ6j91spaatso1_1280.jpg

Steps....

• Find anime episode w/ English subtitles
  • Watch it.. all of it...
  • right after the anime is finished... (it's important you do it RIGHT AFTER) you watch it again RAW..

How this works...

• Since you just saw it... you can pretty much guess what they are saying... Think of it as a way to help you train ears to listen to Japanese
  • You know what is going on so even if there are no Subs you can still follow with the story..
  • This is like the opposite of a speaking exercise.. instead of training your tongue you train your ears... listen..

I've wanted to try something like this, but I don't get how helpful it is? xD

My mind has a hard time concentrating on something....

My level is low as well OTL So it'll be like, will I  have really learned anything?

Is there something you should do while watching beyond listening? After listening?

I'm sorry I'm confused about what to ask xD

But what it comes down to is how does one make the most of the listening exercise?

By using TLDR as my excuse, I'll go and suggest you to learn Japanese through Anime. The reason is because there are two types of Japanese; Formal and Casual. Most of the courses teach you the formal one, while in Anime they use a casual version. Formal is used for business meetings etc., while casual is used in everyday life. Now, to tell you how you can learn it. First, you need to download both RAW and subbed version of the episode that you're planning to watch. Then watch the subbed version. After you're done, while your memory is still fresh, play the RAW version and watch it. Or, if you don't want/can't download both versions, just hide the subtitles (which would actually be a more logical and simpler option). I hope that this will be of some help.

^ Looks like you've set your desktop language to be Japanese as well.

(Even though the first thing I noticed was your start button. :V)

Yepyep! It doesn't really feel any different then english though xD

The only time it doesn't is when I come across error messages and then

I'm screwed xDDD I used this to turn my pc japanese~ xD: http://www.froggie.sk/

(Ever since I accidentally move it there,  it never left, cuz'  I liked the bottom setup xD -date time etc-)

About the typing game, and stuff do you have the links? XDDD

Thanks!

I DO, but you will need to sign up to aarinfantasy to see the links xD

Miracle Noton (I'd say start off with this one!): http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f154/t35350-miracle-no-ton.html

Screenshots:

tumblr_mnkl7vLi5a1spaatso2_1280.jpg

Kichiku Megane R (you mayyyy need to turn off character voices on this one xD And they take off their shirts xD): http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f153/t101450-kichiku-megane-r.html

Screenshots

tumblr_mnkl7vLi5a1spaatso1_1280.jpg

IF you don't have, or have never had Windows XP on your pc, you will either need to install visualtor [http://www.froggie.sk/] with the japanese mui, or read here [i've never followed these, but I assume they're correct xD]: http://aarinfantasy.com/forum/f49/t142678-guide-instructions-installing-japanese.html

The best way to start learning Japanese is how to read, recognise, say, and write hiragana and katakana characters. Then, once you have spent some time with someone fluent in the language expanding your vocabulary and improving your fluence of saying japanese words should you then try compiling them into basic sentences. Only then should you try to write sentences, keeping handwriting and constant pracitce of aural (speaking) practise in mind. If you then think you are ready, you may start to learn basic kanji. (Japanese/Chinese caligraphy) Trust me, this is the quickest and easiest way to learn Japanese. Remember to practice ever day!!! Then can you finally understand the true wonders of DC! :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  B)

Learning by listening is good but definitely NOT through Anime!! The speaking style is usually way too different, and you won't get the required training you need for a Japanese 'mindset.' This often results in super cringy Japanese, not necessarily because your grammar is wrong, but because the way you hold a conversation is very obviously non-Japanese.

Dramas and game shows are fine :) Anything but Anime lol.

As for reading and writing and whatnot, Jeremy-tantei has already brilliantly advised in the above post↑↑