Detective Conan World
emilyy418

Do you think Mouri Kogoro knows?

31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Mouri Kogoro knows and pretends to sleep when Conan solves the cases?

• Yes he knows and pretends to be asleep and he wants to know what Conan is up to
    • No he has no clue

I'm starting to doubt that Mouri Kogoro does falls asleep every time Conan injects him with the sleeping needle (i forgot the name sorry :| )

I think he pretends to doze off and knows its Conan that solves the cases, and the only reason he's pretending is because he wants to know what Conan is up to, and who Conan "really" is.

Also, wouldn't he become immune after all the times he's been hit with Conan's sleeping needle?

What are your opinions?

He is definitely asleep, but he is aware that Conan does help in the cases, probably... Because he's always getting mad at Conan cuz he's snooping around a crime scene.

He is definitely asleep, but he is aware that Conan does help in the cases, probably... Because he's always getting mad at Conan cuz he's snooping around a crime scene.

That's right, he's sleeping to solve the case!

I keep changing my mind. Some cases I read and think Kogoro knows, and some I think there is no way he does...

On one hand, Kogoro knew Shinichi when he was little because Ran would get in trouble with him a bunch, so it wouldn't be unusual for Kogoro to recognize Shinichi. Kogoro might go to sleep for real suspecting that Shinichi is using him. Kogoro realizes that Shinichi got in some real trouble and needs to hide, so hits Shinichi on the head whenever he becomes too obvious -- or when he is annoying because Kogoro knows he can get away with it.

On the other hand, Kogoro isn't the least bit worried that whoever attacked Shinichi and turned him into a little kid might come after him or Ran. There was that one situation where Kogoro suggested Ran and Conan shower together, which he would never do if he knew Conan is Shinichi. Kogoro generally acts like he doesn't know about Conan, and he is pretty unaware in general. Kogoro is also usually a bad actor, so how could he keep it secret that he knows Conan's identity for long?

Maybe he gets suspicious like Ran and switches between thinking Conan is Shinichi and not?

• Upvote 4

Please note that some episodes are just filler, also, I think Kogoru might knows, but playing dumb, because in some episode, he wondered where he was after Conan "used  him"  to solve the case.

He has suspicions. He has asked conan many times before why conan is always right next to him when he passes out. 

And in season 1 or so he had the suspicion that conan is someone else because of how smart he was, but that was until he accidentally mixed up Kogoros photos with the crime scene photos. 

I used to be a pretty big follower of this theory, so - as it hasn't been done yet - I thought I'd copy/paste some of my notes in here.

I've never touched the manga, and the anime has made mistakes before, so there's always the possibility that I could be off on a detail or two. I don't count anything that happens in an AO episode to be canonical, much like the movies and OVAs. (I'm hoping that's an opinion shared by everyone here? I'm relatively new to the forums.)

I've edited my original notes here and there, both for for wiki links and clarity.

• The first piece of evidence is simply an impression I've gotten as the series has progressed, and as such may or may not be accurate. That impression being that it seemed at the beginning of the series we would always see Kogoro wake up some time after the Sleeping Kogoro act was over, but we very rarely if ever get to see this after around the ~300 episode mark. Again, it could be coincidence, or it could be that Gosho just felt the gag was getting old, or any number of things, but I wanted to point that out first.

• The first piece of solid evidence is in episode 355, when Conan shoots Kogoro with the sleeping dart and he doesn't fall asleep immediately. In fact, he even carries on a conversation about the case and has time to mention something about a "mosquito bite" before the anesthetic takes effect.

• Afterwards there's an unusually large gap in the series where we don't see Sleeping Kogoro again that seems deliberate, like it's trying to wait for us to forget about the fact that Kogoro wasn't falling asleep immediately. The next time we get to see him darted (disregarding AO episodes and I think there was one time when he was darted off screen) is in episode 387.

• And something very interesting happens in episode 387. Just before Conan can fire the sleeping dart, Kogoro yawns, drawing the attention of Takagi, Ran and Megure. When Kogoro asks them why they're all excited all of a sudden, the three go on to explain the process in which he typically becomes Sleeping Kogoro, and they go on to tell him examples of some of the sounds and faces he's made. Immediately after this, Conan hits him with the sleeping dart and Kogoro makes an unusually dramatic noise and face. (Though not so much so as to definitely be suspicious on its own.) Ran comments that the noise and face were exactly right. Kogoro staggers on his feet for a few seconds before Conan pushes a chair behind him, Kogoro's fall timed perfectly with the arrival of the chair. (Again, this has happened before, and isn't in and of itself suspicious.) Then, before the deduction can start, Megure comments that Kogoro's position is "rather exaggerated". A probably irrelevant side note would be that this is also the episode where Conan learns of the "Seven Children" song, an obviously important part in the Black Org. plot.

• Then, in episode 581 (which oddly enough is a case where Black Org. agents are crawling around everywhere) there's not one, but three possible hints pointing towards this theory being true. 1) Not only does Kogoro wake up before Conan can finish his deductions, but Kogoro himself finishes them using the email he reserved from Bourbon. This means that he'd been awake long enough to have heard and replied to what was being talked about. 2) Immediately after this, he turns to Conan and asks him (DCTP subs) "So, what happened to the bombing case?" 3) A short while later while Kogoro's talking to reporters and the like, he uses a slightly altered version of Shinichi's catch phrase: (DCTP again) "There is only one truth, after all!" This, unlike the other two, feels more like a hint than anything.

That's pretty much it, though it's entirely possible that I've missed details here and there, or maybe even forgotten some. But let's keep in mind that while the series enjoys making Kogoro out to be an idiot, he is actually a fairly competent detective - at least, when he wants to be. Here's a list of cases he's solved on his own with little/no help from Conan, just to jog your memory. Let's also not forget that Kogoro was the very first person, even before Ran, to become suspicious of Conan's identity, all the way back in File 10, in Volume 2 of the manga. (Manga referenced because it wasn't animated until episode 38, for some reason.) He even commented that Conan (paraphrasing) "reminded him of someone he'd met a long time ago, when Ran was in Elementary school."

Yes, Kogoro does know!

Here is my deduction...

- The stun gun wristchwatch does instantly knock out. It's a fact!

- In some cases, Conan even asked somebody else (usually Takagi) to reconstruct complex crime scenes, which requires time to have people and materials gathered.

- Kogoro is not a short man so his weight would exceed 120 pounds (55kg)

- Conan's weight should be around 1/3 of Kogoro's (otherwise a thin girl like Ran would be unable to carry him so easily)

- In episode 345 Vermouth shot Conan with his own stun gun and he was awake when Vermouth was leaving Tokyo in route 20 (which would take one in worst case one 70 munites from Yokohama Harbour) by considering the incident has occurred during late night, with no traffic

- So... the effect of stun gun in Kogoro should last no more than 20 minutes.

Conclusion -- If Conan's deduction is a very simple one (I mean, just verbalizing the facts)... Kogoro would be really sleeping all time.

But in few cases which Conan spend a lot of time... the effect would be weakened so he is most likely pretending to sleep.

Only flay in my deduction may be in case Conan has a second needle to knock him out again. But I've never seen a second use of the wristeatch in any movie, chapter of file!

He probably doesn't, considering how much the plot line would be screwed otherwise. Plus, that'd be a bit OOC, since Kogoro's supposed to be the 'stupid, clueless' character of the series XD. And he's the type to confront Conan directly (he's done it before). But I think he should know, considering how many times he's been knocked out with a tranquilizer. After 700+ episodes/900+ chapters, shouldn't he have been immune by now? Idk, I know nothing about whatever field of medical stuff this is in O_o

I am still on the fence about this after so many years. I feel like there should be a theory article about this. There is quite a bit of for and against for sure. I do think Kogoro has a side of his personality wily enough to have hidden his knowledge from Conan for this long. Regardless of whether or not he knows now, I do think he will find out before the end of the manga and the showdown with the boss.

Hopefully he will find out. To me the most important thing is that Ran should know that Conan is Shinichi, but I personally would like others to know the truth too by the end. It would be sad if for example the Detective Boys thought their friend Conan just "disappeared" for no reason when he turns back to Shinichi.

I'm pretty sure it was already confirmed that he has no idea in the bar case, we saw what Kogoro was thinking, he has no reason to lie in his thoughts, so according to that, he has no idea.

• Upvote 1

If gosho wanted to give more depth to his plots he would not leave the revelation of the secret to all of the secondary characters like Kogoro, Ran and the DB till the last episode. He probably will though.

what if mouri knows and is just using conan for something big 

i am not saying he has a relationship with the organisation 

or it could be he knows his true identity and is just using him to get famous

but if he turns iut to be the bad guy it would become very interesting

On 8/7/2015 at 5:59 AM, Hobgoblin2012 said:

Hopefully he will find out. To me the most important thing is that Ran should know that Conan is Shinichi, but I personally would like others to know the truth too by the end. It would be sad if for example the Detective Boys thought their friend Conan just "disappeared" for no reason when he turns back to Shinichi.

i would be sad also if i were them. everyone who knows conan would find it hard to accept:(

• Upvote 1

I think you need an "undecided" option on the survey, because that's how I feel. The reasons I am kind of in favor of him knowing were pretty well summed up by ChaosBeing, so I won't restate what he already said. The reasons I am against it are pretty much the same reason I dropped my "Kogoro is Anokata" idea; he is utterly oblivious and it carries over even in his internal monologues. There would be no reason to keep up the act in the privacy of his own thoughts, so when we hear an internal monologue from him talking about not knowing what's going on, you kind of have to take it at face value. So, undecided with very slight leanings toward obliviousness.