Detective Conan World
conankoibito

What was the recent Anime you watched?

1 hour ago, Kid the Phantom Thief said:

I thought the ending was a bit strange, or at least not what I expected. I haven't read the manga, and I don't really feel like it. The cool thing about it was that the protagonist seemed a bit like Shinichi in his Conan form, haha.

Yeeahh I was like this feels familiar.

Erased reminded me a lot of Steins;Gate with all the time travel butterfly effect and everything tbh but still liked SG better 

On 9/8/2016 at 5:51 PM, Cindy-Chen said:

Yeeahh I was like this feels familiar.

Erased reminded me a lot of Steins;Gate with all the time travel butterfly effect and everything tbh but still liked SG better 

Ah, I never finished Steins;Gate! should I? s:

SG? what's that?

On 8/12/2016 at 1:57 PM, Kid the Phantom Thief said:

sorry for interjecting, eheh, but yes please finish Steins;Gate. It’s good c:

--

One Punch Man was nice. Got a little repetitive at times, but the overall concept of the show is still gold.

The ending was a bit too anticlimactic just because of the formula the show kept following. I was hoping for some mind-blowing revelation, but I really shouldn’t have expected much.

Death Note was rather disappointing. It’s honestly a wonder why it’s so highly rated. Nostalgia factor maybe? None of the characters were particularly likeable or memorable except L, and even then he was still kinda bland. The concept was alright, and the first few episodes were pretty good, but it was downhill from there. I think my expectations were too high. That’s a shame, because I was actually really looking forward to watching this.

At least the ending was okay. It went full-circle, which I can appreciate. But that still doesn’t change the fact that Death Note is a convoluted mess.

4 hours ago, Kenzi said:

sorry for interjecting, eheh, but yes please finish Steins;Gate. It’s good c:

I'm not surprised to see you here, haha. You're right, though, I should!

------------------------

So far, I have watched the first six episode of 'Orange'. It's good so far.

18 hours ago, Kenzi said:

Death Note was rather disappointing. It’s honestly a wonder why it’s so highly rated. Nostalgia factor maybe? None of the characters were particularly likeable or memorable except L, and even then he was still kinda bland. The concept was alright, and the first few episodes were pretty good, but it was downhill from there. I think my expectations were too high. That’s a shame, because I was actually really looking forward to watching this.

At least the ending was okay. It went full-circle, which I can appreciate. But that still doesn’t change the fact that Death Note is a convoluted mess.

Aw, it's too bad you didn't like it.  If you want me to be completely honest, I can't really remember why I found it so good when I first watched it.  I haven't seen it in well over four, perhaps even closer to five, years now and only vaguely remember some parts that entertained me.  But then again, it was one of the first anime I had ever watched and at such an impressionable age as well.  Anything with epic music, an edgy plot, and hype scenes was enough to hook me in.  And expectations probably have a lot to do with it as well.  I watched it with zero expectations and came out like "woahhh" but if I had put it off for years and finally got around to it after constant pestering by friends, there's no way I would have looked back on it as fondly as I do now.

On 8/12/2016 at 0:57 PM, Kid the Phantom Thief said:

SG? what's that?

SG - Steins Gate sorry XD

Yeah and as Kenzi said, please finish it! The beginning is always hella confusing and you have no clue what's going on but as soon as you hit like the middle you can't stop watching it. 

On 14/8/2016 at 3:58 PM, Cindy-Chen said:

SG - Steins Gate sorry XD

Yeah and as Kenzi said, please finish it! The beginning is always hella confusing and you have no clue what's going on but as soon as you hit like the middle you can't stop watching it. 

Dang, I should have realised that.. haha xd

Aha, I hear you. First things first, though: AtLA tomorrow with my mother ;D

Damn that 91 Days episode was amazing! It's my favorite of summer so far, at least until Mob Psycho pulls another amazing episode like episode 5. Angelo is the best main character I've seen in a while.

Free! Iwatobi Swim Club & Eternal Summer (I saw a ton of posts about it on pinterest, so I'd thought I'd give it a try. After watching episode one of ES (Yes, I accidentally watched season 2 first, thinking that it was season 1 the entire time. XD) I was hooked. It really makes me feel like putting on a swimsuit and hit the pool for a swim. XD 

@Kirsch : You too, huh? I agree with you on how the show is, it is basically just half naked guys swimming, and Haru being obsessed with the water 70% of the time, but it is a really great show and I like series that focuses on strong and really close friendships, and about never giving up on what you love, and I feel like that's the main message in Free! ^^ 

Love Live! & Love Live Sunshine!

Detective Conan

Pokémon XY & Z 

Persona The movie (It didn't make much sense to me, and idk about the ending, but it was all right.) 

I said I was watching Gundam 00, but I changed my mind and decided to go back and finish all early UC Gundam series (excluding Origin since I want to read it first) before moving my attention onto an AU series since I want to watch After War Gundam X and Reconguista in G soon too.

I finally watched Char's Counterattack, and honestly, I'm a little mad at myself for putting it off this long because, despite its flaws, it was a pretty enjoyable watch, and if Gundam Unicorn didn't exist, this would provide a pretty alright end to the Universal Century timeline imo. It was two full hours of mostly space battles, and during some scenes, it was pretty hard to believe that this movie's from 1988 because those were some quality 2d mechs (the mech designs for CCA were also a++). I, unfortunately, didn't go into this spoiler free. I knew of about the circumstances of two deaths, was aware that two others happened but wasn't sure of the how/when/why they died, and figured out half way through about two others because I knew they didn't show up in Unicorn. (Unicorn takes place 3 years after CCA, and considering who the enemy in Unicorn is, it'd be weird for certain characters to not appear in Unicorn if they were alive) I also recently read a handful of analyses on Char because Char goes through a ton of character development through 0079, Zeta, and CCA, and a lot of that development was really subtle and easy to miss if you didn't know to look for it, and I wanted to make sure I remembered all the important parts of his character. But other than that, I went in blind, and despite seeing how positively multiple people talked about, I still managed to be pleasantly surprised. Because so much was crammed into a 2hr movie, a lot of the new characters weren't able to be developed enough to the point where they felt meaningful in any way. Excluding Hathaway who briefly appeared in Zeta as a child and has a whole novel dedicated to what he does in his mid 20s, all the other new characters in CCA, while they all had a purpose and filled that purpose sufficiently, just felt one dimensional. But with that being said, these characters were never supposed to be super developed and expanded upon as CCA focuses heavily on Char and Amuro and their complex relationship, so it's understandable why they skimmed over them.

The newtype stuff towards the end felt like a bit of an ass pull, but I would've been more surprised if the ending didn't have some OP newtype stuff attached to it. Amuro jumping out of a car, and tackling Char off a horse was also pretty ridiculous, but it was a good kind of ridiculous imo.

To just complain for a second though (spoiler warning for secondary character deaths in CCA, ZZ, and Zeta) 

Spoiler

I'm so mad about Astonaige's death. I thought Hayato's death in ZZ was horrible, but Astonaige's was so much worse. He was a mechanic--he didn't die in combat, while trying to repair something, or when the ship he was on got blown up--he freaking died because Chan Agi launched in the badly damaged mobile suit he was trying to recover and she took off before he got far enough away. He, and Hayato deserved so much better. Like at least Hayato had a family and got to be happy for a while, but then Katz, his adopted son, died in a dumb way in Zeta, and Hayato didn't even get to go back to Earth (or whatever colony they lived on) to see Fraw (his wife), Kikka, and Letz (his other adopted children) before he, too, died in a dumb way a couple months later in ZZ--and now Astonaige gets killed in a dumb way in CCA? This is going too far man. Astonaige helped Kamille design the Zeta Gundam, and Kamille looked up to him, and then in ZZ, Judau & the rest of the gang also looked up to Astonaige a bit. He was one of the only characters who could get through to ZZ kids somewhat regularly. But then in CCA, he finally gets a girlfriend, but she (unsurprisingly) gets KiA, and not even 24hrs after she dies, he gets burned alive when a mobile suit takes off. this is too cruel. thank god Torres wasn't in CCA because if he was, and he had died, i would've lost my s hti 

With CCA out of the way, I'm finally able to get around to Gundam Unicorn. I've heard almost exclusively positive things about Unicorn, so I'm looking forward to finding out why so many people like it. I know almost nothing about it too, so it's sure to be an interesting experience. I've seen 4 episodes so far, and I'm rather mixed on it. I didn't like 0080 until the last episode though, so maybe Unicorn will be a similar experience.The OST's amazing though. It sometimes feels a tad over-dramatic, but as a whole, it's just really great. I don't particularly like any of the characters which is unfortunate. Unicorn's not well known for its characters though, so maybe this shouldn't be too surprising, but it's still somewhat disappointing.

Finished Unicorn and uh.... I got some gripes. And to clarify, I watched the 7 episode OVA, not the recently aired tv version

Spoiler

Though I went into Unicorn with very little knowledge, I still feel a bit mislead. The promotional posters (and fanart) made Unicorn look like Mineva would be the main focus on the show, and that her, and the default male lead, Banagher (pronounced "banan-ji", idk how/why), would development some sort of a close relationship over the course of the OVA. It also gave off the impression that Full Frontal (I shit you not, that is the leader of the opposing faction's actual name) would play a larger role. Unicorn was much more politics focused than I was expecting though. Sure there was conflict between opposing sides, but the Unicorn was less about beating whoever you're fighting against to a pulp, and more about formalities, for lack of a better way of putting it. Because of this, character development took a back seat to cryptic and vague politics, and I really wish they would've just made Unicorn 12 episodes long instead of scrapping character development for the main two characters who, I'm assuming, were a lot more fleshed out in the novels.

To be blunt, I can only say I thoroughly enjoyed one episode of Unicorn (episode 6). The 1st ep, 2nd ep, and first half of the 7th ep were alright, but the 3rd, 4th, and 5th episodes were pretty unenjoyable. The pacing in the middle just wasn't good, and due to cramming in so much information, it was hard to keep track of things. Unicorn's plot wasn't necessarily complicated, especially since I'm fairly familiar with the Universal Century and its history, but I really don't like how the middle of the series was handled. The thing being fought over in Unicorn is something known as Laplace's Box. Whatever Laplace's Box is is supposedly strong enough to bring down the entire Earth Federation. This makes the EF desperately want to keep the Box's location hidden and unknown, the new Neo Zeon faction, The Sleeves (...yep), want to do everything in their power to obtain the box, and the protagonist's side/faction (I think they're technically part of the Earth Federation Space Force, but I honestly don't know. Banagher switches sides so many times I have no idea what his goal specifically was) also want to get the box since they don't believe it'd be best kept in either side's hands. Surprisingly, what Laplace's Box turned out to be actually lived up to the hype, but that doesn't excuse the mess the middle part of the OVA was. How unclear everything was really took away a lot from the overall experience. And don't even get me started on the two main characters. I'm incredibly salty about how disappointing, and occasionally annoying, Banagher and Mineva were. Banana Banagher is easily my least favorite protagonist in Gundam. He was just so unbearably bland, and, while I wouldn't say he's too pacifistic per se, he's stupidly pacifistic at times, if that makes sense. Like in episode 5 (I think... might've been ep4), his newtype empathy kicked in when going against one opponent, and he couldn't bring himself to attack her anymore. That's not too bad on its own, but she was attacking him, and he didn't flee, or shoot back, he just stood there and took damage, and also cried. He also didn't feel like a changed character by the end of the 7th episode. If you replaced ep 1 Banagher with ep 7 Banagher, it wouldn't be immediately obvious, and that's a huge negative imo. With Mineva though, she mostly just felt like wasted potential. She also didn't go through a noticeable change, and in her case that's especially disappointing. Mineva first appeared in 0079 as a newborn, made appearances in Zeta and ZZ as a child, and having her pushed to side when she finally reappears as a teenager just felt really weird. Despite being one of the main characters, she didn't get much focus at all. And, Banagher's and Mineva's relationship was really, just.... not good. It felt really forced and sudden and like the writer was like "o shit my two main characters are a boy and a girl, they gotta be a couple bc reasons. how else would we fit a "you better come back from this alive" line in if theres no love interest to say that to the protag bc having that come from literally anyone else who cares even a little bit about the protag would feel out of place and unnatural. plus the obligatory female childhood friend needs someone to be jealous of" They rarely had any one-on-one interactions, but their trust and dependence on each other just sort of happened out of nowhere. I get that how quickly their relationship happened could be explained as the two of them being newtypes, and naturally drawn to each other because of that, but even though that makes sense, that still doesn't make up for how rushed it was. 

To say some positive things though: Marida and Zinnerman, the only two characters to get decent character development, were incredibly pleasant additions to the cast. ost was gr8, albeit a little over-dramatic at times. also, i'm in love with whatever the hell this blue thing was (not a huge fan of the music they chose for that scene but w/e . .. .) That mobile suit's not in any other show, and its short lived time on screen was one of the most memorable parts of Unicorn for me. It's also one of the prettier Gundam series, though that's mostly because it's quite recent and new in comparison to other installments in the franchise. 

tl;dr I was disappointed to say the least....

Yuri!!! on ice: Not too big on ice skating, so the scenes where they ice skate is a bit of a chore for me to watch, also has a bit of Yaoi fanservice. Overall though, it's a pretty good anime and has been getting a lot of attention lately. Episode 8 just came out, but I'm still on like episode 5 or so, since I'm watching the English dub. Like Free!, it's pretty much considered the new 'Internet sensation'. I remember when it was first announced, and I saw one of the trailers of it. (The scene from episode 1 where Yuri is in the bathroom stall crying 'cause he lost the finals, and then he gets a surprise from Yurio.)  :P At first, I thought it was a movie, that is until I realized all of the attention it has been getting after a month or so of seeing that trailer. 

It's only been like 8 episodes in so far, and the fandom has been expanding like crazy. It's amazing how much attention one sports anime can get. xD

Kamisama Hajimemashita (both seasons):

lol

Akagami no Shirayukihime (both seasons):

I can't believe I actually liked it. I don't usually watch shows like that.

Bananya:

LOL

So I watched some things recently... Under a spoiler because it got a bit lengthy

First was Gundam F91. F91 is a bit infamous because it was originally planned to be an ~50ep tv anime, but at some point in production, it got cut down to a 2hr movie. As a result, the animation quality and art style are great, but the pacing and story telling aren't really anything to be praised. The first 20mins are amazing, and can probably even be considered one of the best parts of UC, but it's all downhill from there. F91 takes place in what is considered late UC, and the antagonists aren't Zeon or Zeon offshoots, but rather a new group called the Crossbone Vanguard. Due to time constraints they (and many other things) are not introduced/explained well, but you can sort of fill in the blanks on your own. Overall I wasn't a huge fan of the mech designs, but to the designer(s)'s credit, the 

CV suits don't look like Zeon knockoffs and do look like they are their own separate thing, and I can appreciate that. And for what it's worth, the two main characters were likable, but the supporting cast and main villain were kind of forgettable. 
TL;DR - Was alright, but ultimately disappointing since it had the potential to be a really great full length series.

Then I watched an hour long movie from 1989 called Five Star Stories because the mech designs from this series look amazing. (I mean look at these things they're so over the top and ridiculous-looking but I really like 'em) If I had to describe the movie in only one word, it'd be "introductory". Despite being the only animated FSS thing, it didn't really feel stand alone. It felt like it was only made for existing fans of the manga, and people who are interested in the franchise, but don't want to commit to reading the manga right away. While this is arguably a very big negative, because I do intend to read the manga, I can't say I was horribly bothered by it, but it not making an effort to be more appealing to 'outsiders' does make it feel really dry at times. Another sort of weird thing about it is that the movie is that it hardly contained any mechs. Sure, there were some in the background (and occasionally, foreground), but the only fight scene, and climax of the movie, came at the 50min mark, so I almost want to say that categorizing the FSS movie as mecha is a bit misleading since there's very few mecha elements outside of that 5min fight. Considering I watched this for the mechs, I was pretty disappointed in this aspect, especially since the mech that's in the fight isn't one I particularly like :') gold giant robots are tacky as hell and nothing will ever convince me otherwise
Tl;DR - ehhhh. I'll hold off on full judgement of this series until I've read some of the manga (which, despite starting the in 80s, is still publishing). and off topic, but this movie had the prettiest male protag I've ever seen

Another thing I watched solely for the mech designs was the first season of Rinne no Lagrange. I started it in late November, but I didn't finish it until a few days ago because I reallllly wasn't feeling it. The mech designs and opening were the only things I actually liked about it in the end. The characters weren't particularly likable or memorable, the plot wasn't necessarily interesting, and the otaku pandering/cheap fanservice was the nail in the coffin for me. There's a 2nd season, but I won't be making time to watch it
Tl;DR - quality robot designs =/= quality animu </3

There was also Sekai no Monshou which I'm technically still working through since I'm watching the 2nd season currently. I liked the first two arcs, they weren't especially great, but they weren't awful either, but the last, and longest, arc was terrible. It started off ok, but the longer it went on, the more I disliked it. SnM's concept and execution, while a bit cliche, isn't what I have a problem with for the most part, it's the characters. Jinto's very dull; he reminds me of Banagher from Gundam Unicorn a bit too, and that's not meant to be a compliment. Lafiel, while more interesting than her male counterpart, is just sort of average, I guess? She is somewhat memorable, but imo there wasn't anything super likable about her. I'm sure they get more characterization later on since, in total, there's like three 1-cour seasons, an OVA, and a prequel movie too iirc, but I can't comment on those yet. One thing I can comment on though, and is an aspect I found pretty disappointing, is the lack of focus on Jinto learning about Abh culture and Abh language since he's a human and not an Abh like Lafiel. To make a comparison: In Suisei no Gargantia, there's a bit of a similar situation wherein the male lead is thrust into unfamiliar surroundings and has to learn about the culture he's now living in. I thought it was really neat that they included the language barrier and cultural differences in SnG and had that play a factor in character interactions. But in SnM, despite Jinto at one point mentioning that he wasn't entirely fluent in Abh language yet and that he had little-to-no interaction with any Abhs before the start of the anime, this never caused any problems. Granted, in the last arc, when Jinto and Lafiel go somewhere populated by humans, they do temporarily worry about Lafiel standing out too much, but this ultimately didn't affect much of anything. 
TL;DR - just a dry, slow moving series imo, but it also manages to be somewhat intriguing. I'll stick with it in hopes of it growing on me since its high points were pretty good and the summary of the 3rd season interests me

And the last one was Omoide Poroporo... I really wanted to like this one. The synopsis made it sound like it'd be more of a coming of age story than it actually was, and the coming of age prospect was the only reason I was interested in it. With that being said, I did enjoy most of the flashbacks to when the protagonist was a child. I really liked the way they were presented, the setting of the mid-1960s was very pleasant, and some of the interactions were downright heartwarming. Parts of it slightly reminded me of my 5th grade experience too which was cool. ....But the scenes set in her adult life were just plain boring for the most part. They dragged on and on, and most of the conversations just felt awkward. Not to mention, and truth be told I didn't try to find anything better, but the subs I had for this were unusually bad, (awkward phrasing, weird timing, and a few misspellings) and since OP was fairly dialogue-heavy, this was rather unfortunate. To end on a positive note though, the facial expressions were fantastic. You could tell a lot of attention went into them, and they added a lot to the atmosphere of each scene. 
TL;DR - I didn't find much enjoyment in 70% of the movie, but the 30% I did like was really gr8 :c

srry for the double post

My favorite yuri manga got a little 5min OVA-like thing 2-ish months ago! It's called Kase-san and Morning Glories and it's on Youtube (there's no voice acting so you can watch it without subs) It's basically just a collage of certain scenes from several different chapters in the manga, so don't expect anything other than shallow fluff with zero context, but it's very nice fluff nonetheless imo tumblr_m42rkciWcq1r58lid.png 

And the first commercial episode of Gundam Twilight Axis came out not too long ago and I;m real salty about it. . . . .. . . .. .