Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

I prefare the japanese with subs. I hate the dubs but this may be because I started whatching it in japanese. I also agree with the names, the dubbed voises dont really fit in with the chacters.

Me too!!!!

I honestly can say that I DID prefer the english dub version when it was on Cartoon Network. But since they stopped dubbing the series, I started watching with subs. As of now, I 100% believe that the japanese version is better. But cmon now, I bet like half of us began the show watching it in english, then transferred to japanese. :P

I haven't even tried the English version so I can't really say, but part of the reason I watch DC is for its Japanese-ness. I love all the confusing riddles involving differing pronunciations and the like which couldn't possibly appear in the dub. In addition, dubs have the annoying habit of completely killing all the cultural references, which ruins a fairly important part of DC for me.

I honestly can say that I DID prefer the english dub version when it was on Cartoon Network. But since they stopped dubbing the series, I started watching with subs. As of now, I 100% believe that the japanese version is better. But cmon now, I bet like half of us began the show watching it in english, then transferred to japanese. :P

I haven't even tried the English version so I can't really say, but part of the reason I watch DC is for its Japanese-ness. I love all the confusing riddles involving differing pronunciations and the like which couldn't possibly appear in the dub. In addition, dubs have the annoying habit of completely killing all the cultural references, which ruins a fairly important part of DC for me.

I guess Japanese.

I am replying to the last three post. :) Guess what! www.youtube.com/SaveCaseClosed Is the official Save Cased Closed group. I figured even if 99.9 % of people on DCW doesn't like English Version of DC "Case Closed". Look at it on a more positive way. It just a show and I'm sure you all would like to share it with your family members. I pretty sure not everyone wants to sit next to you on the computer reading captions no matter how good the show is. Plus it isn't like you can buy it on dvd from japan (NO english sub, of course! :)). Therefore, why not.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

4. Sometimes their emotions doesnt match good in english

I agree!

I personally think the Japanese version is better, because all the names in the English version don't seem to fit the characters. I can never imagine Shinichi as Jimmy

-_-

But I've watched it in Japanese since the beginning, so that might have swayed my preference :P

i regret watching the eng.dub

but yes most of us first watched the dub

i regret watching the eng.dub

but yes most first watched the dub

I don't. If it wasn't for the english dub, I wouldn't have ever discovered the Japanese version, let alone Detective Conan in general.

Japanese.

I tried listening to the dub, it wasn't TOO bad. It could have been a lot worse compared to what I've heard. But the japanese names and voices, are much more fitting in my opinion. I wish 'Case Closed' continued though. Gain popularity and then my friend wouldn't mind my blabbing of 'Detective Conan' this or 'Detective Conan' that all the time :P

I don't know why, but of all the dubs, I think the english ones are the worst. I'm talking for most of animes here. The Japanese is no doubt the best one. The Chinese one isn't bad. The french one isn't all that horrible either. I'm just asking, does anyone else feel that the English dubs sound the weirdest? Or is it just...me..? O.o

Haven't heard many other dubs, so I can't answer that question.

On the overall question, it's no contest. Japanese b/c the world doesn't sound ridiculous nor does it have ridiculous puns and phrases that detract from the overall story. Plus, the sound doesn't match the moving mouths, while they do in the Japanese.

JAPANESE ALL THE WAY!!

Ahem, excuse my out burst there.

As for why, it's simple.

1. The dubbing itself is just acceptable but the Japanese version suits them way better.

2. Why change the Title!! WHY BOTHER!!! Fine copyright laws whatever, damn the copyright rules.

3. The name change. Fine change their names into things like Mitch, George, Amy and Moore. But what is unacceptable is the three characters who got the worst name during the change, Heiji, Kogoro and Shinichi. Harley, Richard and Jimmy. For goodness sake can they not come up with better I mean seriously, HARLEY, RICHARD and JIMMY!!

I promise, I tried the English dub. I swear. but 5 minutes was enough to make me go. WHAT THE HECK IS THIS CRAP DUB!!!! At least I have a friend who loves it the Japanese as much as I do. :D

Sorry for my babbling. :P

I shall now shut my mouth and develop the quieter spirit. icon_mrgreen.gif