Detective Conan World
SwordFighterHM

English or Japanese?

284 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer watching Detective Conan in english or in japanese?

Japanese all the way! Not only do I get to learn some Japanese along the way, the English subs are in such good quality that you can still appreciate a lot of the puns that would not have otherwise be conveyed through a dub. Especially when there's a lot of wordplay involved.

Also, after watching it in Japanese for a while, the English dubs just sounded weird to me. And then this summer I had the chance to see it dubbed in Malay which just cracked me up. I actually swapped the language to watch the show in Japanese because I was laughing too hard otherwise!

The English dubs sound horrible. 'Jimmy! I love you!' WTH?! His name is Shinichi, and her name is Ran. NOT RACHEL! And Heiji, HARLEY HARTWELL?! What is this, a comedy?! (okay, it is, but the name is absolutely ridiculous.) Not to mention Ai seems to change her name every movie and anime episode. (who do I want to be today? Anita Hailey or Vi Graythorn? Set your minds straight dubbers!)Japanese wins, hands down cuz the dubs are lame and cheesy. The Chinese dubs are okay, but that's probably because I don't know very much Chinese despite being Chinese. *go China...*

The English dubs sound horrible. 'Jimmy! I love you!' WTH?! His name is Shinichi, and her name is Ran. NOT RACHEL! And Heiji, HARLEY HARTWELL?! What is this, a comedy?! (okay, it is, but the name is absolutely ridiculous.) Not to mention Ai seems to change her name every movie and anime episode. (who do I want to be today? Anita Hailey or Vi Graythorn? Set your minds straight dubbers!)Japanese wins, hands down cuz the dubs are lame and cheesy. The Chinese dubs are okay, but that's probably because I don't know very much Chinese despite being Chinese. *go China...*

You're right. I wonder why do they still change the names of the characters. "JIMMY KUDO" ---> Eeew! I hate it..

I prefer to watch the Japanese version. The English version and the voices of the main cast annoy the heck outta me and it makes the series more “childish.” :\

I prefer to watch the Japanese version. The English version and the voices of the main cast annoy the heck outta me and it makes the series more “childish.” :\

They do their best to keep from poisoning our minds from violent thoughts of death and murder.... What's the point? Isn't that what the entire series is about?

The chinese version was the first one I watched, but I prefer Japanese. I traded quality for understandability. ^-^

The chinese version was the first one I watched, but I prefer Japanese. I traded quality for understandability. ^-^

We're the same...i do like original quality...of the show...though where i can found and understand what the Episode is the story about..th_070302hpfamily302m.gif

Japanese all the way. Im in the process of learnin the japanese alphabet so hearing them pronounced is kinda fun lol.

I dont really hate the english dub like i do any other english dubbed anime, but i just prefer the japanese more, for all the reasons already stated. XD

Personally I prefer to watch it in Japanese for multiply reasons.

1. They have stopped dubbing it in english as far as I know.

2. Jokes and puns are kept intact.

3. In the english version, all the names are changed which messes up the story if the culprit is identified by his/her name!

But that's just my opinion.^^

The name changes made were at the request of the Japanese producers who wanted to make the series more accessible to American audiences.

Yeah, well Conan gets to keep his name. The name changes are a shame, but Funimation has no control over them. They were forced on them by TMS.

So i am still all for English Dub the names fit to me.

The name changes made were at the request of the Japanese producers who wanted to make the series more accessible to American audiences.

Yeah, well Conan gets to keep his name. The name changes are a shame, but Funimation has no control over them. They were forced on them by TMS.

So i am still all for English Dub the names fit to me.

What's TMS? I hate the English names. As Mohorovicic says (even though he's ConAi) Shinichi is in love with Ran, not Rachel. (and no his name is not Jimmy either.)

What's TMS? I hate the English names. As Mohorovicic says (even though he's ConAi) Shinichi is in love with Ran, not Rachel. (and no his name is not Jimmy either.)

Sorry about that! lol

TMS stands for Tokyo Movie Shinsha. I should have said TMS Entertainment. They produced Detective Conan. :smile:

That is the LAST time I'll ever say that. Unless I convert.

My opinion still goes in the Japanese's favor.

• Upvote 1

Look, all the reason that you guys stated why you prefer the dubbed or subbed, they are all true but SO WHAT???

The name change is not annoying, the Funimation have to change it because of copy right law. And the name in English are cool, I like them!

Since English is my first language, I like it better! I have no obligation toward Subbed but I think subbed is annoying. Why? Because the expression, since I don't understand Japanese, all the changes of expression sound the same to me and it is NOT cool!

Dubbed are just cooler!

To all you guys out there who English is their first language, admit it, you like the dubbed better! Easier to understand too! You guys are just ashamed that the Funimation cut the dubbed episode right through

Look, all the reason that you guys stated why you prefer the dubbed or subbed, they are all true but SO WHAT???

The name change is not annoying, the Funimation have to change it because of copy right law. And the name in English are cool, I like them!

Since English is my first language, I like it better! I have no obligation toward Subbed but I think subbed is annoying. Why? Because the expression, since I don't understand Japanese, all the changes of expression sound the same to me and it is NOT cool!

Dubbed are just cooler!

To all you guys out there who English is their first language, admit it, you like the dubbed better! Easier to understand too! You guys are just ashamed that the Funimation cut the dubbed episode right through

English is my first language. Funimation and their dubs sucked. I like subbed, cause Japanese is my third language, Conan actually sounds like a guy, and Ai does not sound like Gwen from the Ben 10 series!

Why u rage so much?