"The Fated Blue Birthday" (運命のブルーバースデー Unmei no Burū Bāsudē) is an animated special for Magic Kaito based on the sixth chapter from the third Magic Kaito volume.
After a successful heist, Kid receives a phone call from a payphone and is told to stop stealing gems. At school, Kaito promises Aoko he will attend her birthday party, which is on the same day as his heist for the gem known as the Blue Birthday.
||Indian Treasure Exhibit
||Same day as Aoko Nakamori's birthday
|Blue Birthday is India's largest sapphire.
Kaito succeeds but is met by an organization and learns that they are the cause of his father's death.
Manga to anime changes
- In the manga, the string of flags that Kaito pulls out of his shirt pocket are all flags of various countries. To make the animation easier, the special changes this to flags with simple shapes like clovers and diamonds.
- The manga has only one scene that takes place during Aoko's birthday party proper. The special inserts a few more scenes of the party in-between the Blue Birthday heist, where Aoko's friends enjoy party games while Aoko herself wonders where Kaito is.
- In the manga, Kid throws the real Blue Birthday back immediately after dodging the gunfire from Snake and his cronies. In the special, he returns fire with his card-gun and disarms them before throwing the sapphire back.
- In the manga, Inspector Nakamori wonders if it's supposed to be "someone's birthday" when he finds the Blue Birthday. In the special, this line is moved to the Inspector's celebratory party.
- The epilogue featuring the leader of the organization contacting Spider is unique to the special.