Detective Conan World
Scar Akai

Time passing in Detective Conan

Well, it's the same thing with comic books. Most characters rarely ever age, even when the character has been in the same comic for over 40 years. I think only about a year has passed in DC canon.

well i remember that in some episode jodie says to conan that akai's girlfriend (akemi) has been dead for about 3 months and that was in the early eoisedes so i am guessing that it has been 3-5 months since shinichi shrak also because conan is still in first grade and Ran is still in her second year so it has been less than year in DC time

Yeah, Conan lives in Comic Book Time.

However, if you want to be logical about it, Kosagi no Legion once marked out a timeline based on the seasons that are drawn in the background and discovered that literally a decade had gone by. Gosho is also quoted as stating he draws what ever season is outside his window.

In volume 62 files 5-10, 'The Return' story arc, (Case #188) the case they're revisiting in Okuho-cho is one of the last ones he had before he was shrunk, 'a year ago'.

Calculating in that in the manga alone, he's done over 220 cases, that's 3-4 cases a week! He'd never have time for school, much less anything else!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, Conan lives in Comic Book Time.

However, if you want to be logical about it, Kosagi no Legion once marked out a timeline based on the seasons that are drawn in the background and discovered that literally a decade had gone by. Gosho is also quoted as stating he draws what ever season is outside his window.

In volume 62 files 5-10, 'The Return' story arc, (Case #188) the case they're revisiting in Okuho-cho is one of the last ones he had before he was shrunk, 'a year ago'.

Calculating in that in the manga alone, he's done over 220 cases, that's 3-4 cases a week! He'd never have time for school, much less anything else!

But its impact won't cause any difference in his examinations...

*sigh* i just wish that they would age already... i mean, even if it's only a year, they gotta change sometime! sheesh... and maybe that as time goes on, conan can fall in love with haibara and out of love with ran... *sigh* i can only wish :P

It does feel like time passes really slowly, though it must be following some sort of timeline since they have moved from season to season. For example, at about Episode 310 it's definitely winter but recently, they've mentioned that it's October (Eri's birthday) so winter will be coming along again soon. It was also possibly autumn that the series started since Shinichi and Ran were wearing jackets already, meaning they should have at least progressed a grade. There's likely other proof of this but that's all I can remember off the top of my head. I've just put this phenomenon as Gosho wanting to ensure he's able to keep the manga going for as long as he likes.

it's been pointed out that Aoyama-sensei draws whatever season is outside his window... so even though the series appears to go through a passage of time, the actual rate is just an illusion

• Upvote 1

Well, it's the same thing with comic books. Most characters rarely ever age, even when the character has been in the same comic for over 40 years. I think only about a year has passed in DC canon.

MAybe at the end of conan only one year will pas

*sigh* i just wish that they would age already... i mean, even if it's only a year, they gotta change sometime! sheesh... and maybe that as time goes on, conan can fall in love with haibara and out of love with ran... *sigh* i can only wish :P

*laughs* That's just like you, Kiel... But he'll never fall in love with Haibara! (ShinRan moment, was full shounen-ai this morning) He'll always love Ran! But they should age them... I wanna see the DB grow up and I wanna have birthday parties in the manga..

OK so ive just started watching the anime, im at episode 80. Obviously after i get to the last chapter ill start reading the manga. My question is a really simple one and probably one that many people have thought of.

Conan turns to a kid, and he never grows even an inch. Shouldnt he be at least 20 years old or older by the end of episode 700. If each episode is a different week then its arround 50 weeks in a year therefore 50 episodes in 1 year so 700 divided by 50 is 14 add this number to the age in which he reversed to and you get a lot more then 20 years of age.

Now for all those who may think that 1 episode isnt really 1 week after the last aired episode. check out episode 57 where he says ''Its been months since he had any clues" so even if 1 episode doesnt represent a week of his life it has to be close to that. In various anime 1 episode equals to 1 week, 1 month, or even at times 1 hour. Yet its clear that in this anime/manga time does go by, by the many and not 1 episode 1 day.

Anyway if the awnser is obvious meaning that the whole kid thing is permanent and he is an ageless brat (meaning that he is immortal and will never die of old age), then i apologize for my ignorance, as well as for the fact that this question might have been asked b4. Take in mind i just started watching this show its awsome i love it, but this contradiction is really naggin at me.

Please awnser thnx.

I am satisfied with the explanation that Conan and many other fiction run on comic book time.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ComicBookTime

No, Conan is not immortal. except you say all characters in the series immortal, because no one ever age. Only in back story they did.

I read the content of the link. Got to say each diferent case has its own rules and respective solution. If a lot of time goes by then they create a new and more updated character/plot/background for the story, if the story is based on an infant then no one in the show ever ages, then it says that sometimes 1 year in real life can equal to 1 or 2 days. But to me it all sounds to convenient, its likes, its all based on a non existing universe all disorganized and crumpled together.

Example: speaking of Det. Conan, time does pass by but aparently 1 year is equal to 10000 months. Aparently time isnt based on real time its based on punctual decisive events that happen in the story like the begining, climax and end of an arc. Yet with det conan, its really weird because even if the author didnt mean to, there is a sense of real time goin by, like when your watching a tv show(NCIS, CSI, Bones, etc), of course im comparing aging people to fiction characters but its not the case. I guess what im trying to say is that you get a feeling that in between episodes time does flow by.

Then again i could be thinking it to much, instead of just accepting it and enjoying the show.

I find that him not changing too much a good thing.  he does change with the years. You can clearly see a difference from episode 1 - 700. The graphics is mostly what changed, but it made the difference. :)

I meant how much time has passed IN THE MANGA Detective Conan since its first chapter.....

and iam having a keen interest to watch this.!!!!!!!!!

you can also watch with me on ..

[Link removed by moderator]

Enjoy!!!!!!!!

i dont think that it is time pass one .................... i love watch agaun and agian!!!!!!!!  :o

No double posting please. And no links to anime-streamimg sites.

i dont think that it is time pass one .................... i love watch agaun and agian!!!!!!!! :o

I don't get this statement. In your first post, you said "manga", but now it's "watch", and I'm certain you don't watch manga.

And what do you mean "time-pass one"? Time passes in DC, albeit not aligned with our own time (floating timeline)