Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

DC Question and Answer Thread

Here are two questions I've never found answers for;

*How long has it been since shinichi shrunk?

*Since it's been 16 years since DC started, shouldn't the characters grow up?

How old are Ayumi, Mitsuhiko and Genta in the manga? Because in wiki it says 6-7 years old. Why?

Their exact ages have never been given, and based on their grade level, 6 or 7 is the age they should be. Also those numbers come from a guidebook to the series called Conan Drill.

Here are two questions I've never found answers for;

*How long has it been since shinichi shrunk?

Less than a year. In the Shiragami case, Shinichi mentioned going to the village as a teen less than a year ago.

*Since it's been 16 years since DC started, shouldn't the characters grow up?

According to Gosho, Detective Conan runs on Sazae-san time. The concept is called a floating timeline and is quite common in long running works.

Why is Haibara hiding the APTX-disk from Conan? (The one she got from the Pisco case)

The last disk that accidentally wound up in the wrong place (Accidentally mailed to Akemi [Haibara's intro case]) had a list of project financial sponsors and real names of agents in it. (It was bad to the point where Gin and Vodka were going to kill the professor who got ahold of it accidentally even though it did have Night Baron installed to protect it.) That sort of thing might be included on the current disk, and Haibara doesn't want Conan to know because she is afraid he will get himself killed using the info. She may also be afraid of what Conan will think of her if he knows the true purpose of the project. However at this point, it still is unclear why Haibara is hiding it.

Alright, thank you ^^

I've got another question:

In which file did the BO mention the "incomplete detective"? Where did they say this?

It was mentioned at least twice. The first is in Volume 24, File 8, pg 4: "Pitch-Black Funeral Procession". In the center panel, Gin is conversing with Pisco and tells him, "Of course, it's up to you if you use the 'Incomplete Detective' or not...". Earlier on the phone, Gin had mentioned it was fine if Pisco used the drug which both Haibara and Conan took to mean APTX 4869. The second time is Volume 24, File 10, pg 11: "A Bullet from the Past". Haibara tells Conan that "the members of the Organization sometimes gave this uncompleted drug a nickname... 'the Incomplete Detective'."

It was mentioned at least twice. The first is in Volume 24, File 8, pg 4: "Pitch-Black Funeral Procession". In the center panel, Gin is conversing with Pisco and tells him, "Of course, it's up to you if you use the 'Incomplete Detective' or not...". Earlier on the phone, Gin had mentioned it was fine if Pisco used the drug which both Haibara and Conan took to mean APTX 4869. The second time is Volume 24, File 10, pg 11: "A Bullet from the Past". Haibara tells Conan that "the members of the Organization sometimes gave this uncompleted drug a nickname... 'the Incomplete Detective'."

Again, thank you.

I looked it up in file 239 and in file 241 but I didn't find it. Is it because the translation is not so good?

Also:

It just so happened that one of her incomplete, prototype versions worked really well as a poison, so the BO decided to use it for that purpose, which was against Sherry's intentions and wishes.

How do you know that one of Sherry's incomplete, prototype versions worked really well as a poison? And why would she test an incomplete prototype version on mice? Because a prototype should actually be complete in order to test it, shouldn't it? I hope you understand what I mean.

And sorry for asking a lot of questions D:

Again, thank you.

I looked it up in file 239 and in file 241 but I didn't find it. Is it because the translation is not so good?

Probably.

nosherlock.jpg

出来損ないの名探偵 (できそこないのめいたんてい) Dekisokonai no Meitantei or literally "Good for nothing/badly made detective." The password pun Sherrinford was the prototype name for Sherlock Holmes which informed the English translation.

How do you know that one of Sherry's incomplete, prototype versions worked really well as a poison? And why would she test an incomplete prototype version on mice? Because a prototype should actually be complete in order to test it, shouldn't it? I hope you understand what I mean.

And sorry for asking a lot of questions D:

What I am specifically claiming is that the current version of APTX is an incomplete, prototype version that has worked well as a poison. It is called a prototype because so far in development it hasn't done what Sherry intended it to do.

Haibara has stated she didn't intend to make a poison. (V18-9 pg 9) She also detested her drug being used as a poison, which is the other reason besides Akemi that encouraged her to betray. (Same page as above) She also took APTX intending to commit suicide. Finally, someone in the Organization approved the use of APTX as a murder weapon which apparently is forensically undetectable (V1-1 pg 37), and it was used to kill many people. (A list of poisoned people marked dead was shown in the background behind Haibara in V18-9 pg 6 and Haibara mentions other people killed on the same page.) Taken together, this is pretty strong evidence that the current version of APTX works well as a poison and was used for this purpose. Presumably, APTX's effectiveness as a poison was discovered from its mostly lethal effects on the mice she tested it on. (Only one mouse shrank - and from Haibara's tone and conversation topic, it is easy to guess what happened to the rest of them). I would imagine that someone noticed the dead mice results, or Sherry reported her dead mice results, and someone got the idea to sidetrack part of the project from its intended purpose (which wasn't poison - discussed below) and develop the current version of APTX as a poison because it was convenient and useful to assassins.

Shiho however intended the APTX to do something else, not poison. The support for this is Haibara's not meaning to make poison and hating it being used as a poison mentioned above, the nickname incomplete/prototype detective, and Pisco's comment in response to watching Shiho deage into Haibara (He was impressed she had developed the drug to that point and that her parents would be proud - if poison was the goal, he wouldn't be impressed because she failed to die).

Generally, a prototype almost always refers to a product which is still in development and undergoing testing because it is being evaluated for performance and problems (and those problems need to be fixed) before it can be considered a final product. A "complete prototype" doesn't make much sense, because if it was complete, it wouldn't be considered a prototype any longer. Since Sherry needed to know if her latest APTX version was working closer to what she had intended (the real goal of the APTX 4869 project -- which isn't poison) she tested her drug on mice.

While reading the previous files, i noticed something in file 222.

Agasa wins some tickets for the cinema, and he wants Ai and Conan to go there with Ayumi, Mitsuhiko and Genta. Conan wants to see a mystery movie, while Ai chooses "Einstein's days of glorious and worries"; Ayumi, Mitsuihiko and Genta want to see "Godzilla". Since they can't come up with a decision, they choose the movie randomly and Ai wins. In the manga, the next scene we see is a piece of that Einstein movie; and Einsteins says something like this (the translation of old files is crap so don't rely on this literally; but still the sense is clear):

Einstein: "Why? I just published this research... If this keeps up, it's going to kill more innocent people... That legend... Looks like the only hope we have is..."

The scene abruptly ends, since it switches to a piece taken from "Godzilla". But I wonder... is that a sentence Gosho wrote without thinking? Just to fill the space in those panels in which that Einstein movie was being shown? I don't think so: Einstein did really worry about his researches since people could get killed because of them (that is, the atomic bomb), but what about "that legend"? Isn't it totally random? There was nothing like that in Einstein's real story, life or whatever. But Gosho never writes something carelessly, so that whole sentence must... mean something else.

I was thinking about a deeper meaning: what do you think about it? What if it was referred to the Black Organization, or Ai's works in there, or even to the Boss? We don't have to forget that the Black Organization's goal is probably something involving scientifical researches, which could be dangerous for people (just an example, the program Itakura was forced to develope was something he dropped for the sake of humanity), and "that legend"... wasn't Shiho Miyano on the Mermaid Island for the legend concerning immortality? And "immortality" is one of the Black Organization's most likeable goals.

So... I strongly think that such a sentence must have a deeper meaning (if the translation is reliable), since it's sure that Gosho would never write something unnecessary without some particular reason... and that whole sentence was so unnecessary if no further meaning exists, considering also that "legend" thing. But the problem is that I cannot find this other meaning: if it's related to the plot then it's related to the Organization because of "researches", "legend", and "kill innocent people"... but I cannot figure out what Gosho wants to tell us with such a hidden hint. Is he telling us that the Organization's goal is finding the truth behind some legend in order to save people's lives which are in danger because of some researches the Boss did? But this doesn't make any sense since the Organization IS killing innocent people in order to raise money. And that is why I say that I cannot figure out the truth behind this sentence.

What is your opinion? Is it really just a normal sentence in a normal movie shown in a normal file? And if it is not... what could be deduced by it? What is the truth/hint/suggestion Gosho would be leading us towards, if that is not something ordinary?

Pardon, but what color are Mitsuhiko's eyes? I feel like they're black, or brown, or...Well most of the time they're so small on his face I can't tell...

Silly boy. If anyone could find me a decent image, or can confirm what color his eyes are, I'd greatly appreciate it^^

Also, where might I find a gif/animation/etc of Conan changing into Shinichi, or vice versa? Honestly sometimes dong research for this series is a bit difficult, just to make sure you get all your facts right...

Pardon, but what color are Mitsuhiko's eyes? I feel like they're black, or brown, or...Well most of the time they're so small on his face I can't tell...

Silly boy. If anyone could find me a decent image, or can confirm what color his eyes are, I'd greatly appreciate it^^

His eyes are blue in Gosho's colored art (every character has blue eyes in Gosho's art), and seems to be dark grey or black based on the more recent anime pictures in the wiki.

Regarding Vermouth's discovery that Conan = Shinichi: Did Vermouth suspect that Shinichi survived APTX-4869 long before the Pisco arc, or was it during that event (or its aftermath) that she started suspecting as such?

Regarding Vermouth's discovery that Conan = Shinichi: Did Vermouth suspect that Shinichi survived APTX-4869 long before the Pisco arc, or was it during that event (or its aftermath) that she started suspecting as such?

I'm guessing that she figured it out after she saw Conan at the mourning party. She had been America before which means she isn't close to what is happening in Japan, and the rest of the Black Org thinks APTX 4869 at the current development stage is a death drug.

I'm guessing that she figured it out after she saw Conan at the mourning party. She had been America before which means she isn't close to what is happening in Japan, and the rest of the Black Org thinks APTX 4869 at the current development stage is a death drug.

In other words, you're saying that Vermouth was most likely unaware of the events Ai described to Conan & Dr. Agasa during episode 129?

Hello! I want to ask something ^^:

When Ai shouted "don't touch me" in the pisco case after Ayumi clung to her arm, was she referring to Ayumi or to Gin?

I'm thinking Gin because I don't think Ayumi touching her would have bothered her. She was pretty agitated and only Gin would make her feel like that.

In other words, you're saying that Vermouth was most likely unaware of the events Ai described to Conan & Dr. Agasa during episode 129?

I think Vermouth knew Sherry escaped since that was huge news. I am not sure she would have heard about Shinichi being APTXed by Gin and Vodka since that seemed like a pretty minor witness silencing and there was nothing in the normal news. She might have heard about the house search later when the body didn't turn up, but again that seems not too relevant to what she does.

hello everyone

first of all i want to think each and every one of you in this site especially Chekhov MacGuffin

for helping me with my project.

the project was a success and its all because of your help

thank you everyone and i hope i wasn't annoying or anything and if i was

i am sorry

once again thank you

P.S

as i said before i am new to the series and i am starting to be interested in it and i might some help with it

so is it ok if i ask questions whenever i have a problem ?

as i said before i am new to the series and i am starting to be interested in it and i might some help with it

so is it ok if i ask questions whenever i have a problem ?

Sure. Just post your questions here and they'll be answered. :)