The Case of the Besieged Detective Agency (探偵事務所籠城事件 ,Tantei Jimusho Rōjō Jiken?) is the 648th, 649th, and 650th episode of Detective Conan anime.
Sera asks Ran if she can come over to talk to Conan. Once there, she learns Conan is at Agasa's with the Detective Boys and the fact Conan is with Kogoro on every case. They are soon interrupted when a gunman strapped with bombs and three hostages are brought into the agency.
||Mouri Detective Agency
||Kogoro Mouri, Ran Mouri, Masumi Sera, Tamami Mitsui, Shinobu Yuchi, and Sumika Nihei
||41 years old (Mitsui), 36 years old (Yuchi), and 39 years old (Nihei)
|Isao Sawaguri came to the Mouri Detective Agency and brought together three female novelists he believes are responsible for his younger sister Miku's death the previous month. Isao threatens to blow up the Agency unless Kogoro reveals to him the truth about his sister's death and reveals her murderer.
The gunman, Isao Sawaguri, demands Kogoro to determine which of his three hostages killed his younger sister.
|Cause of death:
||Loss of blood through wrist slit
||Tamami Mitsui, Shinobu Yuchi, and Sumika Nihei
|According to newspaper reports, novelist Miku Sawaguri committed suicide at the Furitsukaya Ryokan a month previous to Isao's threat on the Mouri Detective Agency. Despite the reports, Isao is convinced that his younger sister's novelist friends are responsible for killing Miku.
Conan calls Ran to ask who she was spotted walking with. Sera answers and pretends to end the call, allowing Conan to eavesdrop on the situation. Conan learns the case of Sawaguri's sister, Miku Sawaguri, was concluded to be suicide when she was found with her wrist slit and her ryokan room locked. Agasa and the Detective Boys leave to interview the local neighborhood association who were at the ryokan during Miku's death. Conan gradually learns more about the case from information spoken by Sawaguri, the media, and the Detective Boys. Sawaguri then realizes Ran's cellphone is still connected and prepares to shoot Sera until Conan speaks with his voice changing bow-tie as Shinichi Kudo.
Sawaguri, pleased to have another detective to find the culprit, obeys his requests to take pictures of the hostage's books which were autographed by Miku. During the course of the investigation, the authorities lose the chance to snipe Sawaguri after Ran closes the curtain as she believes Shinichi can find a solution to prevent any deaths. Miku's blog post reveals her last three visitors were from an elephant, a fox, and a rat. Conan explains the animals were based on the hostage's professions: The elephant is Sumika Nihei, due to her husband's seal designs is similar to an elephant's tusk. Shinobu Yuchi is the fox since she is a bakery and her food is colored like a fox's coat, and the rat is Tamami Mitsui whom is a stonemasonry which is gray like a rat's coat. In response, Sawaguri prepares to kill Mitsui.
Conan declares Mitsui is innocent as Miku was still alive due to the fact that the witness was able to identify the room's number, something that is not possible if the door was left wide open as the number would be hidden from the view, and only possible if they saw it when Miku was closing the door after Mitsui had left. As for Miku's death, it is a suicide or not?
Conan explains she was mimicking the suicide of the main character in her book. Sawaguri becomes distraught as a result and is taken in by the authorities.
Later, Conan reveals his previous deduction was a bluff to contain the situation and that Miku was really murdered by one of her three novelist friends.
- First, Conan excludes Mitsui from the list of suspects due to her action on that day was too unnatural for the culprit who'd carefully planned out a murder disguised as suicide. Her action of leaving the room in hurry would not only cast suspicion on her, but also making it even more unlikely for her to return to Miku's room and commit the murder.
- Rereading Miku's message reveals that the person who still remained in the room was not the rat (Mitsui), but actually the fox (Yuchi), thus Shinobu Yuchi was the last person who remained in the room after Mitsui had left.
Timeline of the day of murder
- Nihei was the first person to come to Miku's room and asked Miku to sign an autograph for her shortly after the later took a bath in her room.
- Later, Yuchi came to the room and had a quarrel with Miku, refusing to leave even after she had signed an autograph for her.
- During this time, Mitsui arrived in front of the room, forcing Miku to hide Yuchi inside her bathroom. However, Yuchi took Miku's slippers instead of her own, causing Mitsui to mistakenly believe that Miku had gone to the outdoor bath.
- After Miku signed an autograph for Mitsui and made her leave the room by not letting the latter use her bathroom. Yuchi drugged Miku and murdered her, disguising the crime as suicide, then utilized the stated trick to escape the room.
- While there is a possibility that Nihei could also utilize the same method, her methodical personality means that it was less likely for her to pick up the wrong slippers.
- There was a strange blood mark on the bathroom towel indicating that Miku was grasping something before she died. However, no such object was found at the crime scene.
- Despite the fact that they were from the same printing, the pages on Yuchi's autographed book was neatly aligned unlike those of Mitsui's and Nihei's, which means that she filed the edge with sandpaper in order to remove something from it: Miku's bloodstain. She also replaced the blooded cover for the same reason. However, Yuchi was unable to remove the remaining bloodstain that had soaked deeper into the pages, incriminating her as the true culprit of the case.
Yuchi confesses and reveals that Miku's debut book was actually a collaboration between the two. While Yuchi was initially proud of Miku when she received a Naomoto Award. She was shocked and angered when she discovered that Miku had been copying her writing style after she had tried to make her own debut as a novelist and visited an editor, who told her of the similarity between their writing styles. When Miku refused Yuchi's request to announce her involvement in the debut work, she decided to murder her in vengeance.
- The flowers' painting in Furitsukaya Ryokan is from Your Best Friend.
- The culprit's pistol is a SIG-Sauer P226.
In other languages
| Catalan (Catalan dub)
||Ostatges a l'agència de detectius Mouri: (L'explosió) / (Al punt de mira) / (Alliberament)
||Hostages in the detective Mouri agency: (The explosion) / (In the spotlight) / (Liberation)
||Assedio in agenzia
||Siege in the agency
||คดีบุกยึดสำนักงานนักสืบ (จลาจล) / (ซุ่มยิง) / (ปล่อยตัว)
||The Case of the Besieged Detective Agency (Outbreak) / (Sniping) / (Release)
||Văn phòng thám tử bị bao vây (Bùng nổ)
Văn phòng thám tử bị bao vây (Bắn tỉa)
Văn phòng thám tử bị bao vây (Hạ màn)