Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Split into spoiler and non-spoiler deduction threads?

37 members have voted

1. 1. Do you read Chinese manga spoilers or any kind of manga spoilers?

• Yes, I read spoilers
    • No, I wait for the English

The chinese chapters are generally one chapter ahead of the English translation now so it is becoming hard for English-only manga people to discuss and make deductions in a thread that is one chapter ahead of them.

I want to gauge how many people here are spoiler readers versus wait for the English types so I can judge whether it would be a good idea to create a separate deduction thread for non spoiler people.

I think labeling spoilers based on source would be enough. Ie: Chinese scans, [person]'s translations, dctp translations.

If it remains to be an issue, I'd consider that to be a means of last resort, because it would break discussion. At least imo.

I think labeling spoilers based on source would be enough. Ie: Chinese scans, [person]'s translations, dctp translations.

If it remains to be an issue, I'd consider that to be a means of last resort, because it would break discussion. At least imo.

I don't think it will be possible to get people to accurately label their stuff. People have trouble with spoiler boxes as it is.

True, it would break discussion in two, but it is pretty much broken now for the people not reading the spoiler boxes and the no spoiler people who are way behind the spoiler people's convos. I view it as a risk decreaser, but only if there are actually enough people to post in both threads.

I don't really mind about spoilers, but it does get frustrating when I don't know Chinese to criticize, or make a different point out of that chapter. Sometimes people do post something that was already mentioned a page or two before, not knowing that others are already on the chapter where things were revealed or gave out some different twist that wasn't expected, etc.

I skim through chinese versions, but since I can't read it, I just assume what's going on by reading other's deduction/assumptions. But I really would like to know what's really happening before listening to others. So for separating the thread into two, I think it's good for non-spoiler in a way. Also, you can always look at the both threads anyways. If people wants to know if they are right, they might go to the chinese thread to check it out...

Actually I go for Chinese, bcos I read Chinese before joining Detective Conan World, I was realistic about it. If it is necessary, I don't see no problem when there's subforum here for spoilers only, non-spoilers reserve for manga section. We can make sure no one spill spoiler in manga section except the spoiler sub forum. What do you think, Chev?

I'm also a spoiler reader, but I'm not against the idea of dividing into spoiler and non-spoiler groups, if you think it's necessary. However, it's better to create a whole sub-forum like Artistic Poet said, as the number of cases will increase dramatically in the future, it may be a little inconvenient when spoiler threads and non-spoiler threads of different cases get blended together.

I can translate chinese pretty well, so if that helps...

No no, it wasn't concern as we will have it in spoiler groups. I feel it's unfair to translate in manga forum bcos they prefer the official one which translate from Japanese. If translate and it's not in spoiler tag the translation will be illegal and Maurice will be filed against for not stating it's for personal use. In the past I was stupid until BD post about the rules/law, so I went to research if the translation wasn't done properly DCW will be in hot soup.

I only looked at the Chinese for the Takagi case and maybe one other chapter, and I don't plan on looking at them again. This has led me to completely not read threads though, so I think that proved your point.

I don't understand why we need to use a spoiler box in a thread specifically about that topic? If someone doesn't want to be spoiled, they can just not read the thread. It gets really annoying to read. :\ I mean this on a sort of off topic way, as in, if it's not yet in the anime, but is in the manga in english, but is in a place where one would discuss that anyway (eg, the dctp manga section...).

Because they want to discuss the case perhaps, but not ruin it for themselves by looking at the Chinese stuff or people who've read the spoilers? Ah, right, think I misunderstood what you meant at first, my reply was commenting on the manga spoiler and non-spoiler people while you were talking about the manga-anime divide.

Anyway, while I think at DCTP this could probably be pulled off, at DCW some people just don't seem to realise they need to use spoilers even after being told, or post manga spoilers in any section at all without any warning beforehand to anime or non-spoiler manga people so unless something was done about that first (people are told anyway, but still do it and banning is really too extreme imo) making a different thread would be useless as the spoiler people would post in the non-spoiler one about the Chinese file or spoilers anyway, at least from previous experience with some people here :/.

I only looked at the Chinese for the Takagi case and maybe one other chapter, and I don't plan on looking at them again. This has led me to completely not read threads though, so I think that proved your point.

I don't understand why we need to use a spoiler box in a thread specifically about that topic? If someone doesn't want to be spoiled, they can just not read the thread. It gets really annoying to read. :\ I mean this on a sort of off topic way, as in, if it's not yet in the anime, but is in the manga in english, but is in a place where one would discuss that anyway (eg, the dctp manga section...).

DCTP just implemented a spoiler free thread for this case!!! http://forum.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=8202.0 I think I would need some more interest before implementing the same thing here because only two posters have shown interest, so a thread wouldn't go very far.

Looks like my post has been heard before been deleted! Meh, Jd plan to answer but Kor help us to deal with spoiler, understand what's going on afterwards. :) Yesterday I met an idiot who think spoiler free is spoiler tag free, I go and do something about it and it has reach Jd's ears before he solve the problem. All along Jd was typing up two post for non-spoiler when he says your thread won't go far until he step up to have two threads up.

I really like reading spoilers but I also enjoy reading other people's deductions. So splitting into two threads is pretty good idea. You can read them both and post to them both as long as you stay in topic and make usre you don't nix them up. :P

In DCTP I have read them both and I think it works.

- I vote for the first choice, since I read spoiler. But if your choices are seperate or one thread. I'll choos seperate.

- Difference between DCTP and here is their spoiler button is easier to access you mentioned.

- Even "sepereate topic" in DCTP is still in experiment mode.

- Chinese scan people may join discussion in both topic. First join the deduction in spoiler free and then check progress in spoiler thread. Those who wait for english can stick to the latter.

- For conclusion. I suggest try seperate thread for once. I plan to read both topic anyway.

I take a look at the spoilers, yes, I will admit that, but my Chinese isn't good enough for me to actually "read" it. I just skim through the pages to see if there's anything that catches my eye, but I wait for DCTP to translate the chapter instead of reading the premature translations many people post. I guess I'm kinda in between, though it would be nice if there was a separate thread, just saying.

I am pretty much in favor of this.

I am not saying spoilers are bad but they have caused a downfall in the number of people who post their deductions mainly because they usually avoid case discussion threads completely, the reason being spoilers. So why not having two separate threads?

This would also solve the trouble with people posting potential spoilers without the spoiler tag.

I'll implement separate threads starting next case then.

Okay so how will we do this next case ?

Spoiler-free thread will of course only be created after the English file is released and will be stated *SPOILER FREE* or *NON-SPOILER* clearly on the tittle. But are members allowed to post spoilers there inside spoiler boxes ? (In DCTP, that it not allowed).

Spoiler thread can be made sooner, but does it have any other requirements; like tittle must have *SPOILER*/*Spoiler only*/*Spoiler discussion*... etc or not, and are spoiler boxes allowed not to be used there ? (In DCTP, we still have to use spoiler boxes even in spoiler only thread).

And who will create those threads ? Only mods make those or anyone can do that if they're convenient at the time (then the mods only have to pin it, like usual) ? Of course whoever create the two threads has to state the rules clearly on the first post of each one (just like in DCTP).

Okay so how will we do this next case ?

Spoiler-free thread will of course only be created after the English file is released and will be stated *SPOILER FREE* or *NON-SPOILER* clearly on the tittle. But are members allowed to post spoilers there inside spoiler boxes ? (In DCTP, that it not allowed).

Spoiler thread can be made sooner, but does it have any other requirements; like tittle must have *SPOILER*/*Spoiler only*/*Spoiler discussion*... etc or not, and are spoiler boxes allowed not to be used there ? (In DCTP, we still have to use spoiler boxes even in spoiler only thread).

And who will create those threads ? Only mods make those or anyone can do that if they're convenient at the time (then the mods only have to pin it, like usual) ? Of course whoever create the two threads has to state the rules clearly on the first post of each one (just like in DCTP).

The spoiler free thread should be created around the time of the Wednesday Japanese release with instructions not to post until the English comes out. I don't really care who makes the thread as long as the rules make it into the first post.

I think DCTP's no spoilers at all in the spoiler-free thread rule is a good one. The spoiler thread can be labelled whatever as long as they are clearly different. I think enforcing spoiler boxes within the spoiler-allowed thread is still a good idea because someone might stumble into it inadvertently, misclick on it, or whatever.

I hope this answers your questions.

Is separating threads still necessary?

Okay so I noticed that a large number of those non-spoiler threads don't have much discussions in them, some of them don't even have any reply. The only times when they were at least active were when plot-centered cases were around. But other than that, people don't seem to participate much in non-spoiler discussions of "filler cases". The "replies" there are mostly announcements for a release or minor comments in order not to make these threads seem "abandoned". In my experience, many people just choose to wait for the English file without actually joining a discussion; while some others are willing to expose themselves to spoilers (partially or entirely), thus post their comments in the spoiler threads instead.

Therefore, I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on whether we should still separate discussion threads into spoiler and non-spoiler categories for each case or not. If we still do, then I personally recommend that if anyone has a theory/speculation/opinion that is not "spoilery" in any way, you should consider posting it in the non-spoiler thread to balance out the differences. Another option is to only separate threads when we have a plot-centered or long case which we can predict that more people would participate in non-spoiler discussion. 

I think if looks like it is going to be a high traffic thread, it would be worth making spoiler and nonspoiler versions, but I agree the extra thread isn't really worth the effort in based on how they have been used so far