Detective Conan World
Detective Rohit

What lacks in Detective Conan?

Okay, so what do you all think is the backlog of Detective Conan series? What lacks in it? What are the things you dont like about the series? Which are the thing you want them modified/removed/added? Please take tIme and answer and elaborate! If you find nothing wrong in the series, DO NOT POST.

- Too long running while not concentrating on the main plot (obviously).

- Not enough BO arcs (obviously).

- No more good DB cases and thrilling/scary/mysterious/bloody cases in general.

- The fact that no high school detective is better than Shinichi (which also happens in many other series).

- Too many childhood-friends-become-lovers couples, which makes the romance side of this series boring.

- Too many disloyal members from the BO and the lack of "smart members".

Plot is good... evidences are good... But they never give time for the audience to find the evidences themselves. Few such episodes. All of the evidences are found by Conan and some of the ways the people used to kill people are an overkill. Like they prepare all of the ropes and tie on trees and stuff... <_<

And how they explained was very vague... Kindaichi's explanation and Tantei Gakuen Q's explanation of the cases are much clearer.

I agree with everything Black Demon said except maybe the childhood couples part. I don't mind those that much, being that I'm a ShinRan and in a relationship myself.

> The fact that all the characters in the series don't seem to age. :grin:

> No more brutsl/gruesome episodes/cases. I loved those kind of cases before.

That's all. I don't mind the other booboos DC have.

Oh yeah... That reminds me.

I don't like the most serious plot hole of the series: Timeline.

Can't believe that 1 year hasn't even past... <_<

Not enough plot progression, the amount of time the bourbon arc has been going on for is just disgusting

Too much time being wasted on irrelevant characters that are worthless to the plot (kid mainly, I'd like to say the DBs as well, but I have a feeling they'll at least play some role in the end)

The police ALWAYS show up, what happened to the old murder cases where everyone involved was cut off from the police, and society in general?

A lack of good, intriguing cases

Dunno if we're talking about movies as well, but if we are, the movies seem to be getting worse and worse, same with the OVAs, they need to stop getting lazy

can we get more than 3 suspects please? >_>

Oh yeah... That reminds me.

I don't like the most serious plot hole of the series: Timeline.

Can't believe that 1 year hasn't even past... <_<

That's probably the complaint I have always found to be the most idiotic of all. I don't understand why people are so annoyed by the timeline when dozens of comics, manga and anime just treat time the same way and when it's been established for years that it works that way.

• Upvote 1

That's probably the complaint I have always found to be the most idiotic of all. I don't understand why people are so annoyed by the timeline when dozens of comics, manga and anime just treat time the same way and when it's been established for years that it works that way.

A plot hole is a plot hole, no matter how you look at it. You may find it "idiotic", but I think that it's enough to be a serious problem, especially for a mystery manga like Conan. Less than 1 year has past in that universe, but there are dozens of Valentines, winters, than summers, than winters again; and so on... Does it hurt Gosho at all if he just advance the plot along with the timeline ? (E.g. making Conan up to grade 2, than 3.)

Furthermore, it will be very incredible if the total time that takes Conan to defeat such a syndicate is only one year.

A plot hole is a plot hole, no matter how you look at it. You may find it "idiotic", but I think that it's enough to be a serious problem, especially for a mystery manga like Conan. Less than 1 year has past in that universe, but there are dozens of Valentines, winters, than summers, than winters again; and so on... Does it hurt Gosho at all if he just advance the plot along with the timeline ? (E.g. making Conan up to grade 2, than 3.)

Furthermore, it will be very incredible if the total time that takes Conan to defeat such a syndicate is only one year.

Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot did not age, yet they were the 2 main characters of one of the best known mystery writers of all time. Obviously, Gosho isn't Agatha Christie but saying the mystery genre has to have ageing characters in order to avoid a serious problem isn't a valid point. By the way, there has only been 2 Valentines (episode 6 was a filler). As for the seasons, of course they change since Gosho basically draws what's outside his window. However the characters don't age because it they did the whole purpose of Conan going back to his teenage body would be defied. How would the characters having grown 1 or 2 years in a 17 year span be less 'problematic' anyway ?

All in all, forget the timeline.

• Upvote 1

Sorry if I repeat what someone else says.

It lacks

-plot progression (too much filler episodes, though there hasn't been one lately)

-complex murder tricks (like in the older episodes)

-newer hour+ long specials (these were always interesting)

Sorry if I repeat what someone else says.

It lacks

-plot progression (too much filler episodes, though there hasn't been one lately)

-complex murder tricks (like in the older episodes)

-newer hour+ long specials (these were always interesting)

Specials are history because of the time-slot change in april 2009.

THANK YOU. You are a voice of reason in this fandom.

I wonder how certain folks would react if they read comic books and learned that comic books starting from 1963 treat time the same way that Detective Conan treats time.

- Too long running while not concentrating on the main plot (obviously).

- Not enough BO arcs (obviously).

- No more good DB cases and thrilling/scary/mysterious/bloody cases in general.

- The fact that no high school detective is better than Shinichi (which also happens in many other series).

- Too many childhood-friends-become-lovers couples, which makes the romance side of this series boring.

- Too many disloyal members from the BO and the lack of "smart members".

I actually don't mind that it's run this long, though I do look forward to the ending. The childhood friends are alright I guess, and are by far the easiest way for Gosho Aoyama to make two people fall in love.

However, I really would love to see Shinichi be beaten by some detective other than his dad.

Although that may seem a little odd, I don't mind the timeline much. If the characters honestly aged at the same rate as us, DC would've been finished years ago.

It lacks ROMANCE.

I want more ShinRan, HeijixKazuha.

And I want more BO arcs and less normal, has-absolutely-nothing-to-do-with-the-overall-plot kind of cases.

Meh, I think it has plenty of romance. It was never exactly meant to be under the romance genre (though of course it must be included to attract more readers and to make it a little more realistic).

I think DC lacks a little in BO arcs and is taking a little too long with some of the underlying arcs (Bourbon), but overall, it doesn't seem too bad to me.

Miss Marple and Hercule Poirot did not age, yet they were the 2 main characters of one of the best known mystery writers of all time.

I know that many mystery novels are also like that, and I would never mind the timeline if it hadn't anything to do with the plot itself, since it's sometimes confusing and can hardly give us inspirations or ideas for new theories. While the timeline in DC goes wonky and doesn't play a very important part, it can always be the possible key to resolve many mysteries, therefore it may lead to even more serious plot-holes in the future (though I surely hope that Gosho knows what he's doing).

For example:

The timeline of DC is one of the clues to judge the effects of APTX-4869. But since everything was made ambiguous by Gosho, it also depends on our own point of view, thus we can only give out speculations (not solid theories). I.E If you assume that less than one year has past in the DC universe, than it means that Conan & Ai are having really bad immune-systems, because they get sick a lot (which may be a possible effect of APTX), while everything else is normal. However, if you see the years pass along with the changing seasons, things are the whole opposite and may lead to plot-holes (Conan turns out to be unknowingly immortal because he doesn't grow, while immortality may not be the real effect).

The timeline also affect technology, which is one of the important keys from DC. And no, I'm not referring to the fact that they're using touch-phones in the middle of the 1990s. I'm talking about the bigger issue.... If you read the "The Secret Behind Vermouth's Youth' thread, you'll see a debate about whether Chris Vineyard has faked Sharon's fingerprints or not (which depends on technology). Unlike the APTX (science-fictional), faking fingerprints is a reality factor, thus must be based on the real life. But then again, all theories depend on different points of view. Therefore, I really hope that it won't turn out to be the case, otherwise I doubt that Gosho can avoid serious plot-holes.

Obviously, Gosho isn't Agatha Christie but saying the mystery genre has to have ageing characters in order to avoid a serious problem isn't a valid point.

Unlike other mystery mangas and novels, the boundary between reality and science-fiction in Detective Conan is already ambiguous. So as a person who's trying to build up important speculations and theories about the plot by connecting all of the insignificant clues into a clearer path, is it really wrong for me to expect the timeline to be more accurate ? But of course I will have to deal with it, not like I have another choice...

Furthermore, whenever I need to recheck on something that involve the timeline to base my theories on, I always have to read the manga chapters again or get access to DCW's Wiki, since I can never do that just by looking at the weather in the series. I'm not Chekhov, I cannot memorize every single event, while my internet connection is really slow for me to to something like those I listed there.

The thing is you consider that DC's timeline has to be coherent with the plot in evey single aspect (time must progress or it will seem that APTX brings immortality...except many characters didn't take APTX and yet they appear immortal to the reader) while I think (and Gosho too apparently) that it only has to be adapted to the writing of numerous cases, the influence on the plot being secondary. The timeline is only there so the author can keep writing cases and it logically doesn't regard all the entire elements involved in the plot, but since the every-day cases are more important than the plot in terms of representativity, the rules are made and adapted for the former.

The thing is you consider that DC's timeline has to be coherent with the plot in evey single aspect (time must progress or it will seem that APTX brings immortality...except many characters didn't take APTX and yet they appear immortal to the reader) while I think (and Gosho too apparently) that it only has to be adapted to the writing of numerous cases, the influence on the plot being secondary. The timeline is only there so the author can keep writing cases and it logically doesn't regard all the entire elements involved in the plot, but since the every-day cases are more important than the plot in terms of representativity, the rules are made and adapted for the former.

Perhaps it worked that way like you said, considering the fact that Gosho didn't originally expect the series to be this long-running, therefore did not mind about the timeline...