Detective Conan World
justwantanaccount

SPOILERS from a recent Aoyama Interview

THIS SPOILER IS REAL. DO NOT READ IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO BE SPOILED.

EDIT: TRANSLATION OF FULL INTERVIEW HERE

I was reading through 2chan's Detective Conan Spoilers thread, and the thread says that Gosho recently gave an interview to a magazine called OtonaFami. Proof:

Press Release & Cover

Blog post by the magazine

Relevant part from the magazine's blog:

シメはもちろん青山剛昌先生ロングインタビュー! 今までも度々登場していただいてる青山先生ですが、今回はデビューから25周年ということで、先生の歴史を振り返っていただきました。学生時代からデビュー、『まじっく快斗』、『YAIBA』の裏話、そして『コナン』の今後の見所などなどなど。「"あの方"の正体はあの人が知ってる」、「『●●』の新作をいつごろ描くよ」なんていうミミヨリ情報も! マジすか先生!?

My translation (correct me if I'm wrong / taking too much liberty):

The last is, of course, a long interview with Aoyama Gosho-sensei. Though Aoyama-sensi has kindly appeared from time to time, this time we asked sensei to look back upon his history, since it has been 25 years since his debut. We asked about his debut from his time as a student, about Magic Kaito, about the backstory on YAIBA, about Conan's future highlights and others. Scoops such as "This person knows the identity of Anokata" and "●● will be updated some time" included! Fo'real, sensei?!

In the 2chan thread above, people who claim/seem to have read the magazine says:

• Haibara will have a face-off with Sera in the future - this plot will not be related to the Bourbon arc
  • Aoyama likes Haibara because he can say stuff he wants to say through her
  • Perhaps Sera is the sister of a major character
  • Aoyama forgot his 伏線 (my dictionary says 'foreshadowing, preparation' . . . ? I guess 'plot preparation', but I'm not sure), apparently the anime staff took away papers that included the 'plot preparation'
  • Aoyama will not exceed Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo (a gag series that has 160< volumes and still going) in volume number; the last line already thought out, will be a happy ending
  • A Phantom Lady plot will happen in the summer
  • Plot related to Takagi and Sato's marriage will happen - apparently tried to get this happen in a movie, with a Kid plot involved
  • Magic Kaito will be updated in the summer
  • Aoyama wants to live like a retired person once he reaches Agasa's age
  • Aoyama feels like it's only been four years since he started Conan
  • Sera and Haibara compared to wolves

From these posts (if you know Japanese and would like to check what I said): 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Keep in mind, since I can't access the actual interview, the info listed in bullet points come from the 2chan board. Several people seem to have confirmed the Haibara v. Sera plot, but otherwise the info is suggested by one person, so a grain of salt would be prudent.

I don't know about you, but I'm frothing at the mouth like a crazy fangirl over this interview! I really wish that I could buy this magazine . . .

EDIT: More info added from this blog, original text and translation in this post

EDIT: As promised, I looked around Japanese blogs to see any news on the Aoyama interview with Mystery Magazine. The big scoop, confirmed by the press release and two bloggers, is that

The similarity between Kaito and Shinichi is not a coincidence.

EDIT: Also, Sera is the biggest character since Haibara (Source 1, 2)

• Upvote 9

Wow, it this is real, it would be too awesome !

- Haibara will have a face-off with Sera in the future - this plot will not be related to the Bourbon arc --> Interesting...

- Aoyama likes Haibara because he can say stuff he wants to say through her --> Then give her bigger role

- Sera is the sister of a major character --> Akai for sure

- Aoyama forgot his 伏線 (my dictionary says 'foreshadowing, preparation' . . . ? I guess 'plot preparation', but I'm not sure), apparently the anime staff took away papers that included the 'plot preparation' --> What the heck !

- Aoyama will not exceed Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo (a gag series that has 160< volumes and still going) in volume number; the last line already thought out, will be a happy ending --> 100 volumes should do

- A Phantom Lady plot will happen in the summer --> Don't care

- Plot related to Takagi and Sato's marriage will happen --> Good for their fans

- Magic Kaito will be updated in the summer --> Awesome new

- Aoyama wants to retire once he reaches Agasa's age --> Gosho's 48, Agasa's 52, only 4 more years :(

- Aoyama feels like it's only been four years since he started Conan--> I'm surprise that he could come up with a particular number of years.

Anyway, thanks for the news.

• Haibara will have a face-off with Sera in the future - this plot will not be related to the Bourbon arc -> Mmm, I was waiting for this! Interesting!
  • Aoyama likes Haibara because he can say stuff he wants to say through her -> Funny :3
  • Sera is the sister of a major character -> Akai for sure xD
  • Aoyama forgot his 伏線 (my dictionary says 'foreshadowing, preparation' . . . ? I guess 'plot preparation', but I'm not sure), apparently the anime staff took away papers that included the 'plot preparation' -> What on earth!? xD
  • Aoyama will not exceed Kochira Katsushika-ku Kameari Kōen-mae Hashutsujo (a gag series that has 160< volumes and still going) in volume number; the last line already thought out, will be a happy ending - I wish he changes his mind in the end (and try to surpass it xD) :3
  • A Phantom Lady plot will happen in the summer -> I was waiting for thing¬
  • Plot related to Takagi and Sato's marriage will happen -> No, not that soon! Dx
  • Magic Kaito will be updated in the summer -> I guess Gosho intended to finish his work before he retired. And continue the love life of Kaito and Aoko <3
  • Aoyama wants to retire once he reaches Agasa's age -> I would be 20 by then. Nice way to stop reading mangas... NO! I wish he continues even then :-D His work is the best!
  • Aoyama feels like it's only been four years since he started Conan -> I feel like it has always been there xD (<- born in a year of Conan's debut)

Oww, thank you so much for sharing this with us! I appreciate it! This is really is interesting... Thanks a bunch, whatanaccount! :D

Glad you guys like it! ^^

I just edited my post a little:

About Aoyama's retirement, the posts say he wants to live like a retired person once he's Agasa's age - sorry, I was so excited that I translated things too quickly. ^^

I also included the posts that I base the bullet points upon, so that people who's fluent in Japanese can see the posts for themselves and correct me, if I translated something wrong.

EDIT:

Ooh I found the magazine on Amazon . . .

Word is that another magazine called Mystery Magazine did an interview with Aoyama and the issue will be sold on April 25th. I'll be sure to post any spoilers that comes out of this here, once it's published.

Glad you guys like it! ^^

I just edited my post a little:

About Aoyama's retirement, the posts say he wants to live like a retired person once he's Agasa's age - sorry, I was so excited that I translated things too quickly. ^^

I also included the posts that I base the bullet points upon, so that people who's fluent in Japanese can see the posts for themselves and correct me, if I translated something wrong.

EDIT:

Ooh I found the magazine on Amazon . . .

Word is that another magazine called Mystery Magazine did an interview with Aoyama and the issue will be sold on April 25th. I'll be sure to post any spoilers that comes out of this here, once it's published.

Is that so ? *relief*

Looking forward to your spoilers, thank in advanced.

Is the ending coming so soon? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But happy ending is good.... And Phantom Lady... The thing about Ai worries me though, but everyone knows that Shinichi will end up with Ran! *kyaa!* Thanks for spoilers! Maybe he lost the preparation papers during the earthquakes? That would explain it..

I was really hoping for a spoiler saying the Bourbon arc was going to start meandering towards its conclusion.

People who know the boss's identity: if anyone other than Black Org members and Shiho are listed, I will be really surprised.

Regarding Ai meeting Sera, my hunch is that it will be a normal DB case or Sera visits Agasa or something like that. Haibara will be suspicious of Sera, and maybe will think she is familiar somehow. Maybe Ai will realize who she looks like, but Haibara most likely still thinks Dai is a bad guy so the reaction will probably be bad. I doubt Sera will recognize Ai because I don't think Akai would have sent his younger sister pictures of the scientist he was trying to cozy up to while infiltrating the Organization. It's possible that Sera could have seen some FBI data related to the Vermouth case; Sera did manage to get info from someone that Conan and Akai were close.

I am more interested by the idea that if Sera gets close to Ai by, say, visiting Agasa's house, Okiya will find out.

Regarding the other plots that aren't multiply confirmed like Ai meets Sera, I hope there is truth to them. At the minimum, they seem plausible. Hopefully Gosho will follow through. I recall a post Vermouth arc interview from way back when about how he was planning to have Araide do some sort of investigation on the Black Organization after what Vermouth did which lands him in hot water. That didn't [yet?] materialize.

• Aoyama forgot his 伏線 (my dictionary says 'foreshadowing, preparation' . . . ? I guess 'plot preparation', but I'm not sure), apparently the anime staff took away papers that included the 'plot preparation'

It would probably be too much to ask if the writers would read them, notice certain groups of characters are relatively uninvolved, and would include them in AOs to make them more interesting.

Ooh I found a blog that elaborates more on the interview here. Let me translate the relevant parts . . .

I'll put [] around subjects that I introduce, that's not in the original Japanese. The Japanese language hates subjects while English loves them, so it's nearly impossible to translate without introducing some subjects, ha ha.

夏に「まじっく快斗」の新作!?(いや、コナン内でかもしれないけど…)

An update on Magic Kaito in the summer?! (Though this may happen within Conan...)

例のファントム・レディの話が遂に!

Finally, a story on the Phantom Lady!

72巻は6月発売!鍵穴は誰かな…。

Volume 72 will be sold in June! Wonder who'll be in the keyhole...

描いていて楽しいキャラは灰原なんだ!

The character who's fun to draw is Haibara, huh?

高木刑事と佐藤刑事の結婚話(以前のインタビューでも描きたいと言っておられましたね)、映画でやろうとしていたとは!しかもキッドを絡めて!

Didn't know that [he] tried to do the Takagi and Satou's marriage story ([he's] talked about that in interviews before, hasn't [he]?) in the movies! With a Kid plot involved, too!

原作でお目に掛かれる日を待っています!…キッド付きですか?

[i'll] wait for the day it appears in cannon! ...With Kid?

伏線を全てメモした紙…み、見たい!

The paper that noted down all the foreshadows/preparations...[i, I] want to see!

バーボン編はまだ続くのか…。

The Bourbon arc continues still...

そして、それとは別の山場に世良と灰原の対決…。

And then, unrelated to that is the confrontation between Sera and Haibara...

世良と灰原をオオカミと譬えてますね。うん、オオカミ!

Sera and Haibara are compared to wolves. Yes, wolves!

対決、「これは見事ですよ」って仰ってますね!

The confrontation "will be spectacular", [he] says!

世良、「ある大物キャラの妹かも?」って…。

Sera "might be a major character's sister"...

は、はっきりとは仰ってないですね…。

[He] doesn't say this clearly, does [he]?

アニメの声優さん、誰になるのでしょうね…。

wonder who the voice actor will be...

レギュラーキャラになるキャラは青山先生にリクエストをスタッフさんが聞くみたいですけど…。

Apparently, for characters that will become regular, a staff will listen to Aoyama's requests...

Hmm, there's already a divergence between what the 2chan people said and this person. I'll update my original post now . . .

• Upvote 3

Thanks for finding more info to corroborate. I thought Aoyama seemed uncharacteristically direct about one of he things he supposedly said.

Didn't know that [he] tried to do the Takagi and Satou's marriage story ([he's] talked about that in interviews before, hasn't [he]?) in the movies! With a Kid plot involved, too!

This bit makes it sound like Kid is going to intefere with Takagi and Sato's wedding. Heist note for the ring perhaps? I could see him doing it just to screw with Conan and the police. Division 1 Sato-obsessed officers vs Nakamori's Division 2 brigade?

そして、それとは別の山場に世良と灰原の対決…。

対決、「これは見事ですよ」って仰ってますね!

I have a hard time seeing how to create a confrontation between the two "will be spectacular" unless Sera tries to pump Ai for info about Conan or rummage through Agasa's house. Maybe Ai trying to cover for something the Detective Boys let slip makes sense (Conan imitating Shinichi's voice recently). Ai doesn't go for action so it will most likely be a spar of brains. Maybe they will compete in a case? I would think Sera would have the edge in this arena though. Or Ai takes a temporary antidote and we discover she has been hiding Jeet Kun Do skills.

I don't really understand the "Sera and Haibara compared to wolves" bit. Why is it important? Okiya/Akai compares people to wolves at times, but he wasn't mentioned to be involved so...?

Thanks for the spoilers!

Well, I'm obviously not glad to hear that Gosho is willing to give away some future story plots, but let's hope he still has enough ideas to keep this thing going for a few more years in the future.

I do not want this to end so soon after I discovered this just two years ago.

"Scoops such as "This person knows the identity of Anokata" and "●● will be updated some time" included!"

Who knows the identity of the boss ?

"And then, unrelated to that is the confrontation between Sera and Haibara... Sera and Haibara are compared to wolves. Yes, wolves! The confrontation "will be spectacular", [he] says!"

"Sera "might be a major character's sister""

Aoyama hesitated to reveal that Sera might be a major's character's sister. Maybe it will be the reason why she's going to have a confrontation with Haibara. Or maybe Haibara will also feel the men in black's presence in Sera.

描いていて楽しいキャラは灰原なんだ!

Maybe that's why Ai appeared more recently, and always the fashion one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Kid will interfere with their wedding, must be a ring or some special present, with Nakamori there, it will be epic xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

伏線を全てメモした紙…み、見たい!

The paper that noted down all the foreshadows/preparations...[i, I] want to see!

'the last line already thought out, will be a happy ending'

He have came up with a ending, i remembered he said the same thing back in 2007, i wonder if he have changed the ending or it's still the same

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

バーボン編はまだ続くのか…。

そして、それとは別の山場に世良と灰原の対決…。

対決、「これは見事ですよ」って仰ってますね!

I can't imagine what kind of 'confrontation' between and it's 'spectacular'. Martial Arts --> no, deduction --> Sera most likely win, except it's a science-related case, maybe it has something to with Conan ?

I don't get it, what's so special about this, and why wolves ?

アニメの声優さん、誰になるのでしょうね…。

Apparently, for characters that will become regular, a staff will listen to Aoyama's requests...

Apparently, they're talking about the anime

Could someone provide the interview, i want it badly.

WOW!! :D Thanks for all the info!!

I HAVE SO MUCH TO LOOK FORWARD TO!! COME SUMMER, COME!! OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow, awesome! Thanks for the info! It's really interesting xD

The character who's fun to draw is Haibara, huh? -> This is a good news!

Didn't know that [he] tried to do the Takagi and Satou's marriage story ([he's] talked about that in interviews before, hasn't [he]?) in the movies! With a Kid plot involved, too! -> It must be interesting ;p

The Bourbon arc continues still... -> Yeah, yeah, it's a must. I'm wishing him reveal who is Okiya Subaru (I'm sure he is Akai in disguised) and the real Bourbon.

I can't wait this part patiently! Why wolves? blink.gif

Sera "might be a major character's sister" -> Yes, she is Akai's lil sister!

I'm glad my efforts are not wasted. ^^

描いていて楽しいキャラは灰原なんだ!

Maybe that's why Ai appeared more recently, and always the fashion one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So Kid will interfere with their wedding, must be a ring or some special present, with Nakamori there, it will be epic xD

伏線を全てメモした紙…み、見たい!

'the last line already thought out, will be a happy ending'

He have came up with a ending, i remembered he said the same thing back in 2007, i wonder if he have changed the ending or it's still the same

バーボン編はまだ続くのか…。

そして、それとは別の山場に世良と灰原の対決…。

対決、「これは見事ですよ」って仰ってますね!

I can't imagine what kind of 'confrontation' between and it's 'spectacular'. Martial Arts --> no, deduction --> Sera most likely win, except it's a science-related case, maybe it has something to with Conan ?

I don't get it, what's so special about this, and why wolves ?

アニメの声優さん、誰になるのでしょうね…。

Apparently, they're talking about the anime

Could someone provide the interview, i want it badly.

I thought about buying that magazine from Amazon, but I can't log on to the Japanese Amazon, and when I try to register they tell me that my e-mail isn't valid. I'm not sure how you can buy that stupid magazine - does anyone happen to be in Japan right now? Anyone care to spend ~$6 for the magazine and scan the relevant parts? I'll gladly translate (and I'm sure others will volunteer, too), if the scans are available.

OMG BRB translating

EDIT: Wow, this thing took me forever.

I'm guessing at the pronounciation of some names, so it might not be entirely accurate. ^^;

Also, some characters were so fuzzy that I couldn't make it out – in that case I left a ? in the Japanese text and got the translation from the Chinese translation.

As before, let me know if I've mistranslated or I've taken too much liberty in the English or something.

青山剛昌インタビュー

Aoyama Gosho Interview

四半世紀に亘り、少年漫画を描き続けてきた青山剛昌。’86年の漫画家デビューから「マジック快斗」、「YAIBA」、そして「名探偵コナン」の今とこれからを語る。

Aoyama Gosho has continued drawing shounen manga for a quarter of a century. Debuted as a manga artist in '86, he will discuss Magic Kaito, YAIBA, Detective Conan, and future plans.

1963年、鳥取県生まれ。’86年、「ちょっとまってて」でデビュー。

「YAIBA」,「名探偵コナン」はそれぞれ小学館漫画賞の??部門と少年部門を受賞。

Born in Tottori prefecture in 1963. Debuted in '86 with Wait a Minute. YAIBA and Detective Conan won Shougakukan Manga Award in Youth (I got this from the Chinese translation, I can't read the Japanese 'cause it's so fuzzy) and Shounen Divisions, respectively.

Q:先生は小さな頃、どんな少年だったのでしょうか?

What kind of boy was sensei like during childhood?

A:少年探偵団みたいに友達と探偵遊びをよくしました。僕はコナンというより、光彦タイプ。調達や場所探しをするポジションで、実家の自動車整備工場の廃車置場を秘密基地にしていました。

Like the Detective Boys, I played detective with friends. I was more of a Mitsuhiko-type than a Conan-type. I was in a position to search provisions and places, with my family's car maintenance factory's scrap yard as the secret base.

Q:その頃から漫画は好きでしたか?

Did you like manga from that time?

A:そうですね。ニャロメの絵ばかり描いてました。初めて買った漫画は、大好きなちばてつや先生の「おれは鉄平」(should be 鉄兵, seems that the magazine has a misprint)。鉄平が好きで剣道部に入りましたね。でも、親が「漫画なんて読んでも、ロクな人間にならない」という考えの厳しい人で、中学高校時代はこっそり隠れて読んでました。

Yes. I kept drawing pictures of Nyarome. The first manga I bought was my favorite artist, Chiba Tetsuya sensei's I am Teppei. I entered the kendo club because I liked Teppei so much. But, my parents held harsh beliefs like “Those who read manga don't become a worthy human being,” so I read secretly during my middle and high school years.

Q:漫画家への道を歩み始めたのは?

When did you start walking down the path of a manga artist?

A:親に反対されていたので、高校の頃には漫画家の夢は諦めかけていました。そのかわり、絵の先生になろうと思って日大芸術学部に入学したんです。するとそこには、田舎の高校にはなかった漫研が(笑)。そこのOBに漫画家の阿部ゆたかさん(「くまちゃんのクリスマス」、「名探偵コナン特別編」ほか)がいたんです。阿部さんの仕事場にアシスタントに行って、「お前本格的に漫画描いてみないか?」と言われたのがきっかけです。

I was opposed by my parents, so I almost gave up my dream of becoming a manga artist during high school. Instead, I entered Nihon University College of Art to become an art teacher. There, manga research (?) existed, which didn't exist in my countryside high school (laughs). An alumni manga artist, Abu Yukata-san (Bear-chan's Christmas, Detective Conan Special Edition, etc.) was there. I went to be an assistant at Abu-san's work place, and he said, “Do you want to draw manga for real”? That's where it started.

Q:ちなみに大学の専攻は?

Just wondering, what was your major at your university?

A:美術学科の絵描コースです。「コナン」の巻末の名探偵図鑑はタッチが違うでしょ?今でも描けるんですよ。当時は絵を描くバイトもしていました。フジテレビの「ポンキッキ」の背景や、東京ディズニーランドの、”カリブの海賊”の背景も描きました。海賊が町を荒らしているバックのレンガ。命縄をつけられて、一枚の写真を渡されてこのとうりに描けって。給料も良かったのでがんばりました(笑)。その絵はもうないですけど。教職も取りましたよ。地元の高校に、美術の教育実習に行って。親も僕は先生になると思っていたので、突然、漫画家になると言ったら案の定反対されましたね。親父からは「わしの友達には、今にも動き出しそうなカニを描けるやつがいる。でもそいつは全然食えてない。それでもお前は漫画家になるのか?」って(笑)。でも、「もう大人だから勝手にやる」と宣言して、出版社に作品を持ち込んでみたんです。

The Fine Arts Department's artist course. The touch in Conan's end-of-the-volume Illustrated Guide to Famous Detective is different, isn't it? I can still draw. I also used to draw for part time jobs. I drew the background for Fuji TV's Ponkikki, and for Tokyo Disneyland's Pirates of the Carribean*. I drew on the brick wall behind the town that the pirates are vandalizing (I think . . . I'm not completely sure). I was put on a life line, and they gave me a picture and told me to draw just like it. The pay was good, so I did my best (laughs). That picture doesn't exist anymore, though. I also took up a teaching job. At my hometown's high school, I even went to art education training. My parents thought I was going to become a teacher, so when I suddenly said I was going to be a manga artist, they stubbornly opposed me like I expected. My old man said, “I had a friend who can draw a crab that looks like it's about to start moving. But that person can't eat, at all. Do you still want to be a manga artist?” (laughs) Still, [he? I?] declared “[i'm? You're?] an adult already, do whatever [i? you?] like,” and I brought in a work to a publisher.

*I know the timeline doesn't make sense, but I typed in カリブの海賊 into Google and that's what I got. :\

Q:最初は週刊少年マガジンに持ち込まれたんですよね。

You first submitted to Weekly Shonen Magazine, right?

A:はい、マガジンでは「さりげなくルパン」(「マジック快斗」の原型)で佳作を獲りました。でも、後にマガジンの編集長になった野内さんに「君の絵はマガジンに向いていない」と言われ、今度は週刊少年サンデーへ。そこで描いた投稿3作目の「ちょっとまってて」(SFラブコメ)が、’86年の小学館新人コミック大賞の入選を受賞。デビューへこぎ着けました。

Yes, I performed well with Nonchalantly Lupin (Magic Kaito's prototype) at Magazine. However, Nouchi-san, who later became Magazine's head editor, told me, “Your art doesn't suit Magazine,” so I headed for Weekly Shonen Sunday next. There, I won Shougakukan Newcomer Comic Award with my third contributed work Wait a Minute (SF love comedy) in '86. I finally managed to debut.

Q:翌年には初連載作「まじっく快斗」がスタート。順調ですね。

Magic Kaito, your first serial work, started the following year. Things are going favorably.

A:大学の同級生や後輩にアシスタントをしてもらっているんですが、初めて原稿料をいただいたときにみんなで寿司屋に行ってお祝いしました。自分をプロとして実感できたのは単行本の1巻が出たとき。うれしくっておまけ漫画をつけたりして、めちゃめちゃ?りました。そんな初連載作が今も続いていますからね(笑)。もうライフワークです。また夏ごろに新作を描きますよ。快斗の母・怪盗淑女(ファントム・レディ)の話・・・になる予定。でも、最初は編集さんにけちょんけちょんに言われたんです。トリックやラブコメの部分が大人や女の子にはウケるけど、少年にはウケないと。「ニャロー!」と思って描いたのが、「YAIBA」。でも、今度は少年にしかウケなかった(笑)。

Though my university classmates and lowerclassmen were assisting me, when contribution fees were paid for the first time, we all went to a sushi restaurant to celebrate. I felt like a pro when the first volume came out. I was so happy, I added extra manga. That first serial work still continues, even now (laughs). It's a life work now. I'm going to put out a new work in the summer. It'll be about Kaito's mother, Phantom Lady . . . or it's planned to be. Although, editor really complained to me at first. The parts about tricks and love comedy is popular with adults and girls, but not with boys, [they/he/she] said. With Yaiba, I thought “you” while drawing it. But this time, only boys liked it (laughs).

Q:「YAIBA」の思い出を是非。

Please, tell us memories of YAIBA.

A:当時は初めての週刊連載でなりふり構わずやってましたからね。無我夢中ですよ。刀の雷神剣の中にいろんな玉を入れて強くなっていくというのは、RPGのアイテムを集めて強くなるイメージで描いていたので、そこがウケてもらえて良かったです。でも、逆に子供っぽくしすぎちゃって失敗したとも思いますね。終盤のヤマタノオロチ編は気に入ってます。うまく描けたなと思うんですが、オロチ編はアニメになっていない(笑)。今のクオリティでアニメ化してほしいですね。

At the time, it was the first weekly series so I did stuff without care. I was completely absorbed in it. The idea of putting in jewels into the sword Raijinken (Sword of Thunder God) to make it stronger came from RPG, with the image of collecting items to become stronger – I'm glad that part was received well. Although, I think I failed because the work became too childish, in contrast [to Magic Kaito]. I like the final stage, the Yamatanoorochi (a Japanese mythical monster with eight heads and eight tails) arc. I thought I drew well, but the arc hasn't been animated (laughs). I wish that it will be animated, with current quality.

Q:「YAIBA」の次はついに「名探偵コナン」ですが、どんな雰囲気をイメージして作られたんでしょうか?

After YAIBA is finally Detective Conan, what atmosphere did you imagine to make it?

A:「三毛猫ホームズ」です。猫がわかるわけないのに、証拠品に触ったりして事件が解決していく。コナンも一緒。子供がわかるわけないのに、「あれれ~?」とか言って。コナンは三毛猫ホームズが喋っているイメージです。

Calico Cat Holmes. Though a cat shouldn't understand, it touches around evidence and such and the case gets solved. Same thing with Conan. Though a child shouldn't understand, he says things like “arere~?” I imagine Conan to be Calico Cat Holmes talking.

Q:最初はどのくらい続く予定で?

How long did you plan on continuing it at first?

A:こんなに長い連載になるとは思ってなかったですよ。最初の1巻で終わるかなと。コナンっていう名前も、編集長からアニメの「未来少年コナン」(宮崎駿監督作品)があるから、「名探偵ドイル」にしろって言われたんですが、「『未来少年』を超えてやるから!」って通しました。なのに新連載の告知記事のタイトルが「探偵少年コナン」になってて、いやいや、それはまずいだろうと(笑)。でも、10年くらい前にジブリの方に「今、コナンと言えば命探偵のほうですよね」と言われまして、「やった!」と思いましたね。

I never thought the serialization would be so long. I thought it would end with the first volume. The head editor said that since there is the anime, Future Boy Conan (directed by Miyazaki Hayao), I should change the title to “Detective Doyle,” but I persuaded him/her by saying, “I'll surpass Future Boy Conan!” But the new serialization notification article listed the title as “Detective Boy Conan”, and I thought, that's not good (laughs). However, about ten years ago, a person from Studio Ghibli told me, “Conan means the detective now, doesn't it?” and I thought, “Yes!”

Q:「コナン」の好きなエピソードベスト5を教えてください。

Tell me your Top 5 episodes.

A:一番は「揺れる警視庁1200万人の人質」(本記事#28)です。読者人気も一番ですね。あとはなんだろう?アニメで2時間半スペシャルだった「黒の組織と真っ向勝負満月の夜の二元ミステリー」(本記事#35)かな。平次が初登場する「外交官殺人事件」(本記事#10)は、新一の「そいつはちがうな・・・」って言う見開きのシーンが、演出的にうまくいったかなと思います。「真実はいつも・・・たった一つしかねーんだからな・・・」って台詞もお気に入り。アニメの台詞で「真実はいつもひとつ!」ってあるじゃないですか。あれはアニメの脚本者が書いたんですが、僕が書いたのと同時期だったんです。偶然一緒で驚きました。「なぞめいた乗客」(本記事#24)も好きかな。コナンの「逃げるなよ灰原・・・自分の運命から・・・逃げるんじゃねーぞ・・・」って台詞が印象に残ってます。新一は台詞に気を使いますね。あと、最初の「ホームズの黙示録」(本記事#50)。コナンの憧れの地でしたから力が入りました。現場取材もして。

#1 would be “Shaken Police Headquarters: 12 Million Hostages” (FILE 369-373). What else? I guess “Head to Head with the Black Organization: Full Moon Night's Dual Mystery” (FILE 429-434), which ran as a two-and-a-half-hour special in the anime. Ïn “The Case of the Murdered Diplomat” (FILE 92-96), where Heiji first makes an appearance, I liked Shinichi's eye-opening scene, where he said, “That's not right . . .” - I thought it went well, performance-wise. I also like the line, “There is . . . only one truth . . . don't you see?” In the anime, they say, “One truth remains!”, right? The anime's writer came up with this line, but I also came up with this line at the same time. I was surprised by the coincidence. “The Mysterious Passenger” (FILE 287-289) is a favorite, too. Conan's “Don't run away, Haibara . . . Don't run away . . . from your own destiny . . .” remains impressed in my memory. Shinichi picks his lines carefully, doesn't he? I'd also like to add “Following Holmes” (FILE 743-752). Since it was Conan's admired place, I put in some effort. I did some site research for it, too.

Q:’03年のインタビューでは、次はロンドン編と仰られていましたね。

You said that the next arc would be the London arc in the '03 interview, didn't you?

A:そうか、だいぶ時間かかったね。描いてみてやっぱり英語に苦労しました。ウィンブルドンを舞台するのは最初から決めていて、ミネルバ・グラスはテニス選手のシュテフィ・グラスがモデルです。コナンが観客席からグラスに「ボクが助けてあげるよ!!」って言うシーンがありますが、あれは’96年のウィンブルドンのエピソードを基にしてます。グラフと伊達公子準決勝、流れを変えるためだかでファンが「シュテフィ!僕と結婚して!」って言ったんです。それに、グラフは「お金いくら持ってるの?」ってジョークで返したんですよ(笑)。

Wow, some time has passed since then, hasn't it? I tried drawing it, and I definitely struggled with the English. I decided from the beginning to feature Wimbledon, and I modeled Minerva Glass with the tennis player, Steffi Graf. The scene where conan says “I'll help you out!!” to Glass from the audience is based on an episode in Wimbledon in '96. During the semifinal between Graf and Date Kimiko, a fan said “Steffi, will you marry me?”, maybe to change the flow [of the game]. Then, Graf replied jokingly, “How much money do you have?” (laughs)

Q:ロンドン取材はいかがでしたか?

How was the research in London?

A:作中に登場する場所は取材に行って撮ったところばかりです。コナンが新一に戻った電話ボックスも、ビッグ・ベンの橋を渡った先にあります。”恐怖の谷”と漫画で描いた排水溝もちゃんとありますよ。泊まったホテルもそのまま。行けなかったところはグーグルマップで調べました。あ、じゃあ取材しなくても描けたかも?(笑)

The places that show up in the manga mostly consist of places I took pictures of during the research. The telephone box where Conan turned back to Shinichi really was at the end of crossing the Big Ben bridge. The gutter with “Valley of Fear” written across the top in the manga exists, too. I drew the hotel I stayed at as it was. For places I couldn't go, I investigated with Google Map. Maybe I could have drawn without the site research? (laughs)

Q:エピソードのラスト(72巻収録6月発売予定)には新一と蘭の念願のシーンがありましたね。

The end of that arc (Volume 72 planned to be sold in June) contained the much-awaited-for scene between Shinichi and Ran, didn't it?

A:あれは反撃?が大きかったですね。恋愛に苦手なホームズに絡めようと思ったり、「厄介な難事件」ってう台詞も前から決めていて。計算通りです。

The reaction was huge for that scene. I thought about tying in the fact that Holmes is weak in romance, and the “A bothersome, difficult case” line was decided before. Things went as planned.

Q:ラブコメと組織の戦い、それぞれのエピソードを描くタイミングには、ルールや周期があるのでしょうか?

Is there a rule or a cycle behind deciding the timing for love-comedy and Black Organization episodes?

A:そろそろかなって言う勘ですね(笑)。ファンレターが結構影響あるかもしれない。「新一と蘭の子供時代が読みたいです!」、「そろそろ組織編描いてください!」とか。組織は読者からの期待も高いです。ただ、普通のフィールドとちがって、ハードボイルドに描かなければならないのでなかなか大変。でもハードボイルドは好きです。

I decide when I feel it's time (laughs). Maybe fan letters have a pretty significant influence. I get stuff like “I want to read about Shinichi and Ran's childhood!” or “Please draw the BO arc soon!” The readers expectations for the BO arc is high. It's just, unlike normal fields, I have to draw hard core so it's quite a lot of work. But I like hard core things.

Q:描いて楽しいキャラは?

Which character is fun to draw?

A:灰原かな。初登場時から人気もありますね。自分が思ったとおりのことをやってくれて、言いたいことを代弁してくれるキャラです。公式HPの”コナン通信社”で僕のコメントを灰原に言わせてるのも、そんな理由です。

Haibara, perhaps. She's popular since her appearance, isn't she? She does exactly what I want her to do, and I can say what I want to say though her. This is pretty much the reason why I have Haibara say my comments at the official homepage, Conan News Agency.

Q:読者人気の高いキャラは?

Which character is popular among the readers?

A:今は最近登場した世良真純。どうやらぶっちぎりらしいです。名前もまあ、わかる人にはわかっちゃうんだけどね。こんなに「ガンダム」でいいのかなって(笑)。ある大物キャラの妹のかも・・・(笑)。アニメの声優さんも今から楽しみです。

Sera Masumi, the new character. It seems that she's winning by an landslide. The name seems to be understood by people who understands. Is it good to have so much Gundam? (laughs) Maybe she's the sister of a major character . . . (laughs). I'm excited to see who the voice actor will be.

Q:高木刑事と佐藤刑事の恋愛も、今後の動向が気になります。

I also wonder about the direction of Detective Takagi and Detective Satou's romance.

A:高木と佐藤は結婚式も描く予定です。本当は去年の映画のときに怪盗キッドと絡めて結婚しきしてやろうと思ってたんですが、映画でやっちゃうと、原作でできなくなるのでとめました。

I plan on drawing Takagi and Satou's marriage ceremony. The thing is, during last year's movie, I thought about getting them married with a Kid plot involved, but if it's done in a movie, then I can't do it in the manga, so I decided against the idea.

Q:「コナン」は学年読の漫画・アニメ・映画・実写ドラマと、メディアミックスも幅広く展開されています。どんな形でプロデュースを?

Conan has expanded broadly into student-read manga, anime, movies, live action drama, and media franchise. How do you produce them?

A:主に映画の脚本と原画に携わっています。ほかのメディアはだいたいお任せにしてますね。

I'm mainly involved in the movie script and the original pictures. I entrust the other media in others.

Q:最新映画「名探偵コナン沈黙の15分(クォーター)」には、どう関わられたんでしょうか?

How were you involved in the newest movie, Detective Conan: Quarter of Silence?

A:15という数字をテーマにしたことに関しては、映画15周年ということで僕とスタッフの総意です。舞台の雪山は僕から提案しました。雪崩に埋まって、助かるまでのリミットが15分だったのでちょうどいいかなと。

About making the number '15' the theme, this was a consensus among the staff and myself to celebrate the 15th year of films. Having the stage be set on a snowy mountain was my idea. I thought that getting buried in an avalanche with a rescue time limit of 15 minutes would be just right.

Q:今作の見どころは?

What are the scenes to watch for in this film?

A:最初のトンネルのスケボーシーンですね。あれかっこよかったでしょ?あと、僕が原画を描いた「言葉は刃物。使い方を間違えると、凶器になる。」ってコナンが言うシーン。原作でも一回使った台詞で気に入ってます。雪崩に飲み込まれるシーンの、コナンと蘭がすれ違うときに現れる新一の願も僕が原画を担当しました。

The skateboard in a tunnel scene at the beginning. Wasn't it cool? Also, the scene where Conan says, “Words are knives. When used wrong, they become weapons.” (I drew the original picture for this). I also used this line in the manga once, I like it. I also was in charge of the original picture of the scene where Shinichi's prayer(?) appears when Conan and Ran miss each other in the avalanche

Q:歴代の映画版で先生のオススメは?

What is your recommended film so far?

A:5作目の「天国へのカウントダウン」ですね。いろんなことがうまく歯み合った自信作です。僕の弟もこれが一番好きだといっていました。弟は医者でアニメオタクなんですよ(笑)。よく相談に乗ってもらっています。死亡推定時期とか、死亡要因とかね。まさに生きる医学書、超便利!声優にも詳しいので、「灰原役の声優さんは林原さんがいいぞ!」って電話が来たり。「あれじゃ人気にあぐらかいてる」なんてダメだしされたりもします(笑)。

The fifth film, Countdown to Heaven. Many things fit just right in that work, I'm proud of it. My little brother says he also likes this film the best. My little brother is a medical doctor who's also an anime otaku (laughs). I often consults with him. About the estimated time of death, the cause of death and such. A living medical book, super convenient! He's also knows about voice actors very well, so he calls and says things like, “Hayashibara-san would be great as Haibara's voice actor!” He also points out my faults, like “You're getting conceited with popularity” (laughs).

Q:「コナン」は連載開始から17年、既刊71巻の長編となりましたが、長期連載を続けるコツはありますか?

Conan has become a long series that has continued for 17 years since the beginning of serialization, with 71 volumes published – any tips on continuing a long serialization?

A:ないですね。逆に、新しい事件を描くときはいつもこれが最後という気持ちでかかります。でも進んでるうちに次の話が始まるという。

No tips. On the contrary, when I draw a new case, I always draw with the feeling that this will be the last. Though when advancing forward the next story begins.

Q:長期連載で辛いと感じたことは?

What felt tough from the long serialization?

A:昔書いた伏線を忘れてしまうところ(笑)。ベルモットの伏線を明かした時はすごく大変でした(本記事#35)。あれもこれも入れなきゃみたいな感じで。前に複線をすべてメモした紙をアニメのスタッフに渡したんだけど、返してほしい(笑)。それを見れば、”あの方”の正体がわかるかも?

When I forget about the foreshadows I wrote a long time ago (laughs). It was a lot of work when I clarified Vermouth's foreshadows. I felt like I needed to include everything. I noted down all the foreshadows on a paper before and I handed it to the anime staff – I wish they'd return it (laughs). Maybe anokata's identity will be understood if the paper is seen?

Q:’08年の本誌インタビューで、次の山場はバーボンと仰っていましたね。

In the '08 interview with this magazine, you said that the next arc will be about Bourbon.

A:バーボン編はまだ続きますよ。それとは別の山場に世良と灰原の対決を考えてあります。これは見事ですよ。どちらも”オオカミ”ですからね(笑)。

The Bourbon arc is still continuing. Aside from that arc, I've thought about a confrontation between Sera and Haibara. This will be spectacular. Both of them are “wolves,” after all (laughs).

Q:楽しみです!内容は決まっていると仰っていた最後回はいつごろに?

I'm excited to see it! When do you think you can write the last episode that you said you decided the contents of?

A:それはわからないですね。でも「こち亀」の巻数は越えないと思います(笑)。台詞はもう決まってます。ラストはハッピーエンドですよ。だって僕の作品なんだからね。

I don't know. But I don't think I'll exceed KochiKame in volume number (laughs). I've already decided the lines. The ending will be a happy one. This is my work, after all.

Q:20年以上週刊連載をされていますが、1週間どんなサイクルで描かれていらっしゃるのでしょうか?

You've done weekly serializations for 20 years, what does the one week cycle look like?

A:ネームに2日半~3日、画に4日~4日半くらい。1週間使い切ってる(笑)。トリック考える時間ないですよ。だから、どんどんずれていっちゃって。たまに休載させていただいてるんですが、全然休んでいないんです。だって、原作に加え映画の打ち合わせして原画も描いてるんだもん(笑)。だから、締め切りギリギリになっても、誰も文句言わないんです。原稿落としたことは1回もないですよ。1回落とすと、ずっと落としちゃいそうで。

Two and a half to three days on the pre-manuscript, four to four and a half days on the drawing. The week is used up (laughs). I don't have the time to think of tricks. That's why things keep getting off. They let me take a break from time to time, but I don't rest at all. Because, on top of the manga, I have to make arrangements with the movie staff to draw the original pictures (laughs). That's why, when I turn in things at the last minute, no one complains. I've never failed to turn in my work, not once. I feel like I'll stop turning in work if I fail once.

Q:休暇が取れたらやりたいことは?

What do you want to do if you managed to take a break?

A:ねる。ひたすら寝る。ちょっと起きて、映画見て、また寝る(笑)。それが夢の生活ですね。あとはホテル住まいをしてみたいなぁ・・・。

Sleep. Do nothing but sleep. Wake up a little, watch a movie, sleep again ( laughs). That would be my ideal life. Hotel living sounds nice, too . . .

Q:ご実家に帰られることは?

Do you return home?

A:毎年正月だけ帰ってます。色紙を持って、サインしてくれってファンがきてくれるから。さらに、親が1年間溜めたサイン色紙を持ってきます(笑)。コピーしたやつを200枚と普通の色紙が20枚くらい。でもまあ、田舎に帰ると何もないから、絵が描きたくなってきます。

Just on New Years every year. Since there are fans who bring shikishi's (in Japan, fans get signatures on papers called shikishi) and ask for signatures. On top of that, my parents save up one year's worth of shikishi's (laughs). Two hundred of them are copies, about twenty are the normal shikishi's. Still, when I return to the country nothing happens, so I start wanting to draw pictures.

Q:やはりお仕事がお好きなんですね。

As I thought, you like to work, don't you?

A:そうなのかな?そういえば観るドラマも刑事者とかばかりですね。最近はテレビの新番組を全部録画して、ミステリーや刑事もの以外は全部削除しています。下書き中に流しています。会話劇なら、作業中でも内容がわかりますからね。最近では「SPEC」を観ました。超能力者が出てくるのに、ちゃんとミステリーを成立させている。終盤で、当麻(戸田恵梨香)が一(神木隆之介)との頭脳戦に勝って「あたしの勝ちだ!」って言ったところがかっこよかった!戸田さんが10代だったら、実写「コナン」の蘭役をやってもらいたかったですね(笑)。

You think? Now that I think about it, the dramas that I watch are all about police detectives. These days, all the new shows are recorded, and shows that aren't mysteries or about police detectives are eliminated. I play them when drafting. With dramas, you can understand the contents even while working. Recently, I've watched SPEC. Even though ESP people appear, the mystery is set up properly. In the last episode, I thought that when Touma (Toda Erika) said “I won!” (when she won the intellect battle against Ninomae (Kamiki Ryuunosuke)), she was really cool. If Toda-san was in her teens, I would have liked her to play Ran in the live action Conan drama (laughs).

Q:今年の元旦には「泥棒」に鑑識役で出演されましたね。

You've played the role of a police crime lab staff in Thief during this year's New Years.

A:水谷豊さんとも相談させていただいて、念願叶いました。すごくいい人で、右京さんそのものでした。

I was also kindly allowed to consult with Mizutani Yutaka-san, my wish came true. He was a truly good person, he was just like Ukyou-san!

Q:ドラマの脚本などに興味は?

Do you have an interest in scripts for dramas?

A:隠居したらやってもいいかも。でも、僕は絵を描かなくちゃだめっていわれるんじゃない?(笑)

After I retire, maybe. But I think I'll be told that I should draw instead (laughs).

Q:先生が漫画を描く上で大事なさっていることは?

When sensei draws manga, what do you value?

A:男の子はかっこよく、女の子は可愛くですね。最近は蘭や世良などの女の子もかっこよくなってきちゃいましたけどね(笑)。

To draw cool boys and cute girls. Though Ran and Sera and such girls are becoming cooler these days (laughs).

Q:今年で画業25周年を迎えられましたが、どんな四半世紀でしたか?

This year marks the 25th anniversary of your job; how would you describe this past quarter century?

A:半分くらい「コナン」ですからね。人生返せって感じですよ(笑)。始めたときは29歳だったのに。あっという間でした。自分の中では4年くらいしか経っていない感覚です。

Half of it was Conan. I feel like I want to demand my life back (laughs). I was 29 when I started. Time passed by, really fast. I feel like it's only been four years.

Q:何歳まで現役でいたいですか?

Until what age do you want to stay active?

A:まあできる限り。阿笠博士の年(53歳)までには隠居したいな、とも思いますけど、隠居したらまた漫画描きたくなるんじゃないかって。最初からずっと一緒にやってるアシスタントたちも年を取ってますから大変です。でもチャップリンみたいに「代表作は次回作」って言っときます!

As long as I can. I want to retire when I reach Agasa's age (53), I think, but once I retire I think I'll start wanting to draw manga again. The assistants who've been with me since the beginning are aging, too – there's a lot of trouble. But, just like Chaplin, I'll keep saying “My best work is my next work”!

Q:次回作といえば、’08年の本誌インタビューで仰られていた「西遊記」はいかがでしょうか?

Speaking of your next work, what about the Journey to the West that you mentioned in your interview with this mazagine in '08?

A:「西遊記」は描きたい!悟空のキャラデザインはできていて、読みきりをサンデーに乗せる予定はあったんですが、昔の中国の背景を描くのが大変だからもう無理かな。たぶん描かないから言いますけど、超面白いですよ(笑)。

I want to draw Journey to the West! I've finished the character design for Goku, and there was a plan to publish a one-shot on Sunday, but drawing ancient Chinese backgrounds is quite troublesome so maybe not. I'll say this since I don't think I'll keep drawing, but it's quite interesting (laughs).

Q:描いてください!!では、読者に向けてメッセージをお願いします。

Please do draw! Finally, please leave a message for the readers.

A:長い間、青山剛昌ワールドに付き合ってくれてありがとうございます。そしてこれからもよろしく。「さぁ、次の事件です」ってね(笑)。

Thank you kindly for putting up with Aoyama Gosho's world for a long time. And I hope we'll get along in the future. “Let's get to the next case!” (laughs)

EDIT: Fixed 'Three-Haired cat' to 'Calico cat' - my bad, ha ha.

• Upvote 11

What felt tough from the long serialization?

When I forget about the foreshadows I wrote a long time ago (laughs). It was a lot of work when I clarified Vermouth's foreshadows. I felt like I needed to include everything. I noted down all the foreshadows on a paper before and I handed it to the anime staff – I wish they'd return it (laughs). Maybe anokata's identity will be understood if the paper is seen?

The way he says it, "understand the boss' identity"... It seems like that's a character we know well.