Moonlight Sonata Murder Case
|This is a featured article on the Detective Conan Wiki. This article was featured on September 7, 2019|
|Episode 11 |
(Int. Episode 11-12)
|Title:||Moonlight Sonata Murder Case|
|Japanese title:||ピアノソナタ「月光」殺人事件 |
(Piano Sonata "Gekkō" Satsujin Jiken)
|Original airdate:||April 8, 1996 * |
September 22, 2003 (Rerun) *
|Manga source:||Volume 7: Files 2-7 (062-067)|
|English title:||The Moonlight Sonata Murder Case|
|Dubbed episode:||Episode 11-12|
|English airdate:||June 9, 2004 (Part 1) |
June 10, 2004 (Part 2)
|Cast:||Conan Edogawa |
|Case solved by:||Kogoro Mouri (via Conan)|
|Next Conan's Hint:||Sheet music |
Fluorescent paint (Rerun)
|Organizer:||Kenji Kodama |
|Storyboard:||Kenji Kodama |
|Episode director:||Ikuro Sato |
|Animation director:||Masatomo Sudo |
|Character Design:||Masatomo Sudo|
|Opening song:||Mune ga Dokidoki|
|Closing song:||STEP BY STEP|
|Prev episode:||« Pro Soccer Player Blackmail Case|
|Next episode:||Ayumi-chan Kidnapping Case »|
|List of episodes|
|* 1 Hour Special|
Kogoro Mouri received a strange cut-and-paste letter from a client called Keiji Asoh asking him investigate something on Tsukikage Island, in the Izu coast, which is part of the Tokyo Division, according to Megure. He then found out that the man requesting for the investigation, Keiji Asoh, has been dead for 12 years. He was a world-renowned pianist who suddenly killed his family, set his house on fire, and played Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata as his house burnt around him.
Despite thinking the letter is a poor prank, Kogoro decides to investigate anyway and finds the island is holding elections for mayor. Two years ago, a passerby heard the Moonlight Sonata playing from the community center and discovered the body of the mayor slumped over the piano. Although he died from a heart attack, the similarity to the death of Keiji Asoh caused the islanders to think the piano has been cursed.
Both Reiko and Narumi were excluded from the suspect list due to that they have alibi during the time of murder. Conan manage to decode the musical notes which were from the murderer about revenge from 12 year ago.
The episode was rerun on September 22, 2003. It was unchanged except for the addition of a footage of Gosho Aoyama talking at the beginning. It's also the first rerun aired on TV.
- The names of the characters and places in the Funimation Dub are:
- Keiji Asoh - Casper Austin
- Narumi Asai (former name Seiji) - Nadia Adams (former name Simon Austin)
- Isamu Kameyama - Kirkpatrick
- Tatsuji Kuroiwa - Theodore Kinsella
- Reiko Kuroiwa - Rene Kinsella
- Kazuaki Hirata - Kevin Hadley
- Shuichi Murasawa - Steven Mulholland
- Hideo Kawashima - Henry Kavanagh
- Masato Shimizu - Matthew Schumacher
- Ken Nishimoto - Ken Nicholson
- Tsukikage Island - Moonlight Island (The Viz Media translation of the manga gives another alternate name Moon Shadow Island)
- Other changes:
- At the end when it says "Thank you little detective", Nadia will actually say it at the end.
Manga to anime changes
- Reiko Kuroiwa wears a coat over her dress on the day of interrogation.
- In the anime, the detail about Nishimoto being a close friend of Asoh is omitted.
- The skeletal corpses of Asoh's wife and daughter aren't depicted in the anime, being changed to the moment after they're murdered and in the flames.
A remake version was aired on March 6, 2021 and March 13, 2021 as the 1000th and 1001st episode. It retold the same story with some scene being removed and altered.
- This is the first 1-hour episode.
- The keyboard code presented in this case is usable despite minor errors made by the animation staff.
- The piano song in the case is Piano Sonata No. 14 in C♯ minor "Quasi una fantasia" (Beethoven) by Ludwig van Beethoven.
|1||胸がドキドキ||Mune ga Dokidoki||The Pounding of My Heart||Mune ga Dokidoki|
|2||("Moonlight Sonata" First Movement)|
|3||("Moonlight Sonata" First Movement)|
|4||(Unreleased BGM 1)|
|5||(Unreleased Sound Effect/BGM)|
|6||("Moonlight Sonata" First Movement)|
|7||悪のテーマ （パート２）||Aku no Tēma (Pāto 2)||Theme of Evil (Part 2)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|8||事件現場 （オリジナルver.）||Jiken Genba (Orijinaru ver.)||Scene of the Case (Original ver.)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|9||事件現場 （謎ver.）||Jiken Genba (Nazo ver.)||Scene of the Case (Mystery ver.)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|10||(Unreleased BGM 1)|
|11||("Moonlight Sonata" Second Movement)|
|12||事件現場 （オリジナルver.）||Jiken Genba (Orijinaru ver.)||Scene of the Case (Original ver.)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|13||犯人のアジト （いよいよver.）||Hannin no Ajito (Iyoiyo ver.)||The Culprit's Hideout (More and More ver.)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|14||緊迫||Kinpaku||Tension||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|15||脅迫 （パート２）||Kyōhaku (Pāto 2)||Threat (Part 2)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|16||コナンのテーマ||Konan no Tēma||Conan's Theme||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 1|
|17||事件現場 （オリジナルver.）||Jiken Genba (Orijinaru ver.)||Scene of the Case (Original ver.)||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 2|
|18||犯人のアジト||Hannin no Ajito||The Culprit's Hideout||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 1|
|19||沈む夕陽||Shizumu Yūhi||Depressing Sunset||Detective Conan Original Soundtrack 1|
|20||("Moonlight Sonata" First Movement)|
|21||(Unreleased Sound Effect/BGM)|
|22||STEP BY STEP||STEP BY STEP||STEP BY STEP||STEP BY STEP|
In other languages
|Episodes of Season 1|
|Episode 1 • 2 • 3 • 4 • 5 • 6 • 7 • 8 • 9 • 10 • 11 • 12 • 13 • 14 • 15 • 16 • 17 • 18 • 19 • 20 • 21 • 22 • 23 • 24 • 25 • 26 • 27 • 28|