Detective Conan World
Metantei Kiddo

The Status Updates cluttered by Tweets and Facebook Updates

I just noticed that sometimes our communities' Status Update Wall is cluttered by Tweets and Facebook Statuses of those users that doesn't even go online here. I think they signed in through their Twitter/Facebook Account here once and forgot to log out in the forum. Am I right?

They probably don't know that when they tweet/Update their status, It gets shared here which is bad of course, not just for that person but also for us.

I do not know what's the cure here since I never used twitter in my life or signed in through facebook but I think this is a big issue since they aren't aware about it.

EDIT: I have an idea. I think we should only allow users to update their status here once they reach a certain amount of posts.

• Upvote 2

I agree that this is a problem. That being said, I don't think allowing status updates should be linked to posts. I think the simplest solution is simply to disable status updates via Facebook and Twitter. It doesn't change that much, and it solves the clutter issue.

• Upvote 1

I agree that this is a problem. That being said, I don't think allowing status updates should be linked to posts. I think the simplest solution is simply to disable status updates via Facebook and Twitter. It doesn't change that much, and it solves the clutter issue.

Yeah I think we should just fully disable it since none of our user, anyway, posts status updates in Facebook or tweets for the sake of DCW. I'm not trying to criticize anyone but I think this feature is kinda useless.

I've been asking for this for a long time because the spam is so obnoxious. The signal to noise ratio is now much worse than 2+ years ago when it comes to relevance to DCW and Detective Conan. Every now and then twitter and facebook update something and so that posts are no longer linked. Whenever that happens the quality of the status updates gets vastly better and people actually have convos with eachother. Also it gets rid of the incentive for people to sign up for the forum just to spam the status updates.

I've been asking for this for a long time because the spam is so obnoxious. The signal to noise ratio is now much worse than 2+ years ago when it comes to relevance to DCW and Detective Conan. Every now and then twitter and facebook update something and so that posts are no longer linked. Whenever that happens the quality of the status updates gets vastly better and people actually have convos with eachother. Also it gets rid of the incentive for people to sign up for the forum just to spam the status updates.

I don't think the incentive thingy of reaching a certain amount of posts will really affect the forum spam-to-not-spam ratio. I mean if we try to put a rule that is you cannot do status updating until you reach 100 posts, for example, who would, at a very simple reason, would want to post a hundred times here for the sake of being allowed to update their statuses? It's really a waste of time for an average person, those person who doesn't even know that their statuses are getting posted here.

If I can remember, Facebook asks if you wanna install the DCW app for the first time you signed in through facebook which keeps track of your wall updates and posts it in here. There's a yes or no button there. If you pressed no, no status updates coming from facebook will ever reach here. I mean if they can't even take a moment to read what that app does and just pressed yes out of laziness, I think they'll probably be too lazy to even post here. If you'll look at those people whom you'll mark spamming the status update wall, their number of posts doesn't even reach 10 and have probably just signed in once.

But anyway, I think we should just disable it all together. No average DCW user even uses it.

Yeah, I definitely share the same sentiment with everyone. It's quite annoying seeing these FB/Twitter statuses clogging up the updates.

With out doubt I would agree that thise status updates are annoying...

And as MK-san said...

EDIT: I have an idea. I think we should only allow users to update their status here once they reach a certain amount of posts.

But I would rather say... to allow DCW status updates but not the FB/twitter updates until a specific number of posts... because I think it is unfair to have newbies restricted from updating their status if it is not spamming..

I hope this made sense XD

Anyway thats what I think should happen. ..

I also agree with disabling status updates from FB and TT entirely.

About the post amount, in my experience, status updates are usually used by new members to report issues/ask questions about the forum, especially those who are not familiar with the forum environment and don't know how to make a topic/reply. I may be wrong about this, but status updates are the only possible method for validating members to communicate with others for the aforementioned purposes. So requiring that you must first reach a certain post count in order to update your status can be counterproductive in some situations.

I also agree with disabling status updates from FB and TT entirely.

About the post amount, in my experience, status updates are usually used by new members to report issues/ask questions about the forum, especially those who are not familiar with the forum environment and don't know how to make a topic/reply. I may be wrong about this, but status updates are the only possible method for validating members to communicate with others for the aforementioned purposes. So requiring that you must first reach a certain post count in order to update your status can be counterproductive in some situations.

lol looks like my suggestion is like a paradox. How can a validating member, who cannot post, ask a question through statuses when you need to reach a certain amount of posts? lol

lol looks like my suggestion is like a paradox. How can a validating member, who cannot post, ask a question through statuses when you need to reach a certain amount of posts? lol

Thats what I was talking about. ..

For example :

Even if you are a validating member; you can update your status.

If you reach 50 posts for instance you can have your FB/Twitter status shared here...

Thats what I was talking about. ..

For example :

Even if you are a validating member; you can update your status.

If you reach 50 posts for instance you can have your FB/Twitter status shared here...

this.

But still... No one uses facebook or twitter to share something here

this.

But still... No one uses facebook or twitter to share something here

Well you have a point here...

You are right that no one uses it in the intended way... so I think we have two choices:

- disable those FB/Twitter statuses

- put the limit thing if it's necessary to keep it

(I know I am stating what we just said ... but yeah I think we should ask for opinions between those two choices)

Well you have a point here...

You are right that no one uses it in the intended way... so I think we have two choices:

- disable those FB/Twitter statuses

- put the limit thing if it's necessary to keep it

(I know I am stating what we just said ... but yeah I think we should ask for opinions between those two choices)

well the posters above have already decided lol and let's just disable it completely.

It's for the best

I don't mind the status updates. It's a nice way to casually interact with people on the site.

The Facebook and Twitter statuses are what's really bothering me. They have no relevance to DC nor do they spark any sort of conversation.

At least statuses like "I hate Mondays" have potential to generate discussion.

Plus, Facebook and Twitter statuses look like they're posted by bots.

I don't mind the status updates. It's a nice way to casually interact with people on the site.

The Facebook and Twitter statuses are what's really bothering me. They have no relevance to DC nor do they spark any sort of conversation.

this.

And I'll admit that the first reason why I got annoyed by the cluttering was because it has no relevance to DCW at all.

You said everything anyone can say about this issue...

NO COMMENT XD

I think I'm gonna message our beloved admin so we can get a resolution in this issue ASAP. Gonna link this thread

I didn't think it was necessary, but now that I'm looking at it, it's getting really annoying. If this was a petition, I'd sign... >.<

I didn't think it was necessary, but now that I'm looking at it, it's getting really annoying. If this was a petition, I'd sign... >.<

I think if there's enough support from the members. Our Admin will consider it.

Sorry for being late to the party!

Interesting point regarding statuses from FB/Twitter. I guess it'll remove some noise indeed.

I just disabled this feature for everybody besides Admin, Moderators and Donators.

Let's see how it goes now. :)

• Upvote 6