Detective Conan World
Kala

Ran's too overrated

Pss. I hate Ran as Shinichi's partner, sorry but I can't see and feel it. Yeah, I know the fact that they are childhood sweethearts but.. But, there's no 'thing' in it. It's been decided from the very start which makes it so biased, in other words, BORING. Why can't it be like as the story progresses there'll be a change of heart that'll occur. I ship Haibara and Shinichi. YOU CAN SEE THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN THE TWO. LITERALLY.

It's been decided from the very start which makes it so biased, in other words, BORING.

I disagree. I am very saddened by the common stereotype "if there is a couple already formed from the start it should NECESSARILY be ruined during the story for the sake of character development", as if there were no other ways to develop characters apart from splitting couples apart. I admire very much those characters who stay together forever, especially when they are childhood friends. Unfortunately, such stories are so rare, in the modern fiction there are always love triangles, cheating, polygamy, multiple marriages, etc. It depresses me, seriously.

As for Ran, I would really like to have a friend like her in real life: open, honest, with a good heart. And I would never be able to trust Haibara.

I am not forcing my opinion on anybody, but still...

• Upvote 3

In my opinion, if all love stories on the same format, this would be boredom :wacko: and if LOVE has continued since cildhood this would be the purest love. ^_^

And this is just my opinion. :D

• Upvote 1

I love ShinRan, but on the other hand, I don't mind ConAi. But I think ShinRan is the way to go. They've been together for so long. Besides Shinichi/Conan cares for Ran and ONLY for Ran. That's what makes ShinRan fans so crazy about them. It could be boring for some, because it's old-fashioned love. On the other hand, ConAi fans are ConAi because the chemistry between them is so exciting because Haibara keeps dropping mixed signals.

I don't know about this topic, it's dabateable. But Gosho Aoyama will always make Shinichi end up with Ran anyways.

Pss. I hate Ran as Shinichi's partner, sorry but I can't see and feel it. Yeah, I know the fact that they are childhood sweethearts but.. But, there's no 'thing' in it. It's been decided from the very start which makes it so biased, in other words, BORING. Why can't it be like as the story progresses there'll be a change of heart that'll occur. I ship Haibara and Shinichi. YOU CAN SEE THE CHEMISTRY BETWEEN THE TWO. LITERALLY.

First thing, chemistry is reaction between molekules, which you will never be able to see. So you can't see chemistry between the two people LITERALLY :P

And yeah, there certainly is chemistry between Shinichi and Haibara, since She developed APTX and Shinichin shrunk because of that. Yep, chemistry indeed. :3

And now for a serious answer (sorry ;) ): I don't think Haibara and Conan fit together at all, because the way they think is too different.

• Upvote 5

Well this is one of the reasons I love DC so much: no cheating or love triangle in it. I mean it is Ran is trusting to witness, and not witnessing to trust ( I hope I'll be understandable here lol). This in my opinion a rare kind of strength I admire, that a very few people have.
But hey your opinion is different than mine and it's ok after all.

it's normal since you don't have any information about your bf. just put yourself in ran's situation. will you be able to act like Ran or will you go and find your lover and yell at that person? will you wait for that person even though you don't know when they will be back? or will you say goodbye and find a new one? Shinichi loves Ran for who she is, despite her overeacting or witnesses and this couple is really cute together.

I am a Shin/Ran supporter, however I have no hate towards the Ai/Conan shipping. I feel like Shinichi and Ran would make a better couple because they're opposites. I feel like Shinichi is more on the serious side, while Ran is happy-go-lucky and they balance each other out. And also, Ran and Shinichi have been there for each other for so long that they have so many experiences that they share with each other, and they know each other inside and out. Also, Ran is a loyal person to her friends, and that is one of the reasons why Shinichi fell for Ran. I forgot what episode this was, but Shinichi was going to meet up with Ran to do stuff, but he forgot because he was on a case. 3 hours later, he remembers that he forgot about Ran and ran to where they met up. Even though it was freezing and snowing outside, Ran waited for him. This was when he realized what a special person Ran was.

• Upvote 2

I like Ran and how she's so loyal towards Shinichi. It's pretty obvious Conan will forever love Ran only and it will be those two in the end, no matter how much Haibara loves him. When I was young, a few years ago I loved her and Shinichi especially the first movie, but lately Ran's character feels like the stereotypical anime heroine who's always like 'baka, baka, baka' and crying to her lover; albeit I like Ran.

I like ShinRan alot.....they're just made for each other. Having a childhood friend (who is so faithful and loyal ) is so awesome. I love their pair, as they trust each other and can I risk their own lives for each other.  

The best thing about Ran is that she never loses faith in Shinichi. She'll even keep waiting for him for her whole life.  That's the best thing about their pair...they have alot of trust and faith in each other which just makes their bond stronger. 

Ran is ..a perfect partner, a good daughter, a loyal friend....she's a character worth admiring.

I am a Shin/Ran supporter, however I have no hate towards the Ai/Conan shipping. I feel like Shinichi and Ran would make a better couple because they're opposites. I feel like Shinichi is more on the serious side, while Ran is happy-go-lucky and they balance each other out. And also, Ran and Shinichi have been there for each other for so long that they have so many experiences that they share with each other, and they know each other inside and out. Also, Ran is a loyal person to her friends, and that is one of the reasons why Shinichi fell for Ran. I forgot what episode this was, but Shinichi was going to meet up with Ran to do stuff, but he forgot because he was on a case. 3 hours later, he remembers that he forgot about Ran and ran to where they met up. Even though it was freezing and snowing outside, Ran waited for him. This was when he realized what a special person Ran was.

Afterall, opposites attract XP 

Didn't you say "Ran" is too overrated ? Then why bring ShinRan in this lol.
Yeah Ran is kinda overrated. She's like a side character for a long time now. She's not even relevant to like 98% of the episodes. Don't know why she and Mouri-ojjisan are treated as main characters. 
And all the ShinRan fans hardly give a crap and don't know squat about Haibara it seems. It's always "I can't trust Haibara/ she's and he are too cold it would be a boring couple/ she'll kill Kudo/ she's a mad scientist" One guy said "They're too similar" and other says "They're too different !" :P To hell with looking things objectively. I've seen too, they have amazing chemistry, most ShinRan fans are simply too lovestruck with their couple to pay any attention to other things.
Some ShinRan fan here actually said "If all the love stories are the same format then things will get boring" LOL. I think it's your fav couple's formula that is old as hell. Don't know how to progress with a love story ? Make them childhood friends and BAM they belong to each other ! That's original, right. They've got what, 7-8 of those on the show already ! 
It's just a tradition in every anime it seems, the pretty little princess gets the guy, and the most exciting and entertaining couple doesn't happen. Kudo and Miyano seem MEANT for each as partners, and make a pretty cute couple in a non-cliche way. They can make the story go on and on even after the BO's down. With ShinRan you'll see one cliche date, and then they'll fast forward to the future, with Ran wearing an apron fixing Kudo's tie before he goes for work. Seriously ? Wall E had a better love story.

• Upvote 1

I think it's your fav couple's formula that is old as hell. Don't know how to progress with a love story ? Make them childhood friends and BAM they belong to each other ! That's original, right. They've got what, 7-8 of those on the show already ! 

It's just a tradition in every anime it seems, the pretty little princess gets the guy, and the most exciting and entertaining couple doesn't happen.

I like childhood friend pairings because they RARELY win, they may be used often, but the main character usually chooses someone else at the end, and in this case it's as if the childhood friend pairing never existed (at least for me). And Gosho hasn't yet finished the manga, we don't even know whether these 7-8 pairings will have a definitive happy ending (not a cliff-hanger one), therefore for now it's as if they weren't yet complete.

Therefore, I wouldn't say that childhood friend pairings aren't original. Can you name me at least one anime (apart from Lamune, Hani Hani and one of the Amagami arcs) where the childhood friends stay together at the end? Most people can't name such examples, so I really don't get it why the childhood friends get on their nerves.

Didn't you say "Ran" is too overrated ? Then why bring ShinRan in this lol.

Yeah Ran is kinda overrated. She's like a side character for a long time now. She's not even relevant to like 98% of the episodes. Don't know why she and Mouri-ojjisan are treated as main characters. 

And all the ShinRan fans hardly give a crap and don't know squat about Haibara it seems. It's always "I can't trust Haibara/ she's and he are too cold it would be a boring couple/ she'll kill Kudo/ she's a mad scientist" One guy said "They're too similar" and other says "They're too different !" :P To hell with looking things objectively. I've seen too, they have amazing chemistry, most ShinRan fans are simply too lovestruck with their couple to pay any attention to other things.

Some ShinRan fan here actually said "If all the love stories are the same format then things will get boring" LOL. I think it's your fav couple's formula that is old as hell. Don't know how to progress with a love story ? Make them childhood friends and BAM they belong to each other ! That's original, right. They've got what, 7-8 of those on the show already ! 

It's just a tradition in every anime it seems, the pretty little princess gets the guy, and the most exciting and entertaining couple doesn't happen. Kudo and Miyano seem MEANT for each as partners, and make a pretty cute couple in a non-cliche way. They can make the story go on and on even after the BO's down. With ShinRan you'll see one cliche date, and then they'll fast forward to the future, with Ran wearing an apron fixing Kudo's tie before he goes for work. Seriously ? Wall E had a better love story.

If you're reading DC then face the truth, Gosho loves childhood relationship, and Shinichi loves Ran. Conan and Haibara make a perfect business-partners  doesn't mean they make perfect couple. From the beginning until the end, they're just friends. ;)

I like childhood friend pairings because they RARELY win, they may be used often, but the main character usually chooses someone else at the end, and in this case it's as if the childhood friend pairing never existed (at least for me). And Gosho hasn't yet finished the manga, we don't even know whether these 7-8 pairings will have a definitive happy ending (not a cliff-hanger one), therefore for now it's as if they weren't yet complete.

Therefore, I wouldn't say that childhood friend pairings aren't original. Can you name me at least one anime (apart from Lamune, Hani Hani and one of the Amagami arcs) where the childhood friends stay together at the end? Most people can't name such examples, so I really don't get it why the childhood friends get on their nerves.

They hate childhood relationship because their favorite character can't be with the person they want since childhood relationship cannot be broken  :P

• Upvote 1

Who are you kidding, man. Shiratori-Kobayashi, Kaito-Aoko, Inspector Yamoto and his woman, Agasa and his woman, Heiji and Kazuha, Chiba and his woman, if you really think that there's any doubt that these are not going to happen in the end with the case of the guy choosing someone else, then you're really being blind. In this anime itself there are like 8 childhood pairings, so they are not original. Though I have no problem with it. Except that it's a little bit annoying to see the same formula with so many people in the show.

And the prettiest kind princess on the show gets the guy formula is old as hell. I don't mind watching such love stories if the plot is good, but the pairing doesn't attract me. Though Ran character is too dull, and also is completely irrelevant to the main plot. Even Ayumi has been relevant in more episodes. That's not the main thing I dislike though, if Ran was the only option for Kudo, then sure, it was fine, but not long after Haibara came only obsessed RanShin fans haven't been able to see Conan and Haibara's amazing chemistry & cute connection in a non-cliche way, and how perfect they are for each other. Choosing RanShin over ConAi is my main problem. All the above couples I mentioned are examples of typical and cliche pairing, but Kazuha and Ran have the most dull characters, but atleast Heiji and Kazuha have more chemistry between them.

Though it seems you're the kind of person who likes the cliche kawaii-type pairing though, so I can't argue here.

Though it seems you're the kind of person who likes the cliche kawaii-type pairing though, so I can't argue here.

Yes, I prefer childhood friend pairings over others, it's just a matter of personal taste. I am always very touched by the innocence and tenderness of the affection between two children, if that happens. At least in such cases there is a guarantee it's really love and not just sex, as often happens between people who met as adults.

Anyway, I always prefer if the character stays with the first love, childhood friend or not. I like monogamy and hate polygamy (not going to impose this to anyone, but my personal view on the matter is this). If Ai was Conan's first love, I would have rooted for them to be together, even though I would have still liked and respected Ran.

Heiji and Kazuha.... Well, I wouldn't call constant arguing and being at each others' throats "chemistry". Shiratori and Kobayashi only knew each other for several minutes as children, so in my opinion they aren't really childhood friends. And I don't consider Ran dull at all. In fact, I would like to have such a good-hearted and loyal friend like her in real life. Also, I must notice that, while I don't like ConanxAi, I at least don't insult Haibara's character.

And I don't think they will choose someone else, I just suspect there might be a lot of cliff-hanger endings, for example I can't imagine Heiji and Kazuha confessing love to each other.

well here's my speculation on the whole Shinran couple (NOTE: i am a huge shipper of Shinran but i do not look down on Coai fans so plz don't feel offended by what i say) ....

i frankly don't really care if their childhood friends or not but i like how they are friends that just happened to grow up and fall in love with one another (it sounds a lot more logical), from the anime's ive seen, that rarely happens (usually the girl lays eyes on a guy and falls crazy in love)

so they've been together for their whole life and then suddenly they are separated and one of them has no idea why or where the other has gone. so i don't know why people are saying it's overrated it's actually a really interesting, unfortunate love story. and for me it's not exactly the ending thats going to surprise me (we all know shinichi and ran will be together) but it's how they'll get there, what's going to happen to them, what circumstances will make them finally confess (not including the london arc XD) 

I also believe this love story is important to Shinichi/Conan's character.

when you think about it Ran is ultimately Shinichi's motivation to getting his body back and adds emotional suspense (i know not quite the right wording but let me explain XD)

if Ran wasn't there then shinichi's motivation would just be wanting to go back to being the famous highschool detective and bring down the orginization which is completely fine and still quite intriguing. but if this was his only motive, the times when he does regain his body, in my opinion, won't be as suspenseful when changing back to conan.

Because Ran is in the picture, when Shinichi changes back to conan you really feel bad for him (and Ran) because you know how much he wants to tell ran his feelings and how doesn't want her to worry anymore.

Conan and Haibara have a wonderful relationship and i always love their episodes because of how funny they are and serious they are too. but i don't think they should be anything more than crime fighting buddies XD but this is not to say that people still can't ship these to characters together i just hate when people say "I hate Ran Coai is soo much better because Ai is better than Ran" i don't think thats a really mature reason to ship characters together

• Upvote 1

@Silverbullet:please don't flame shinran or Ran fans...I agree that Aicon is great but we all have to respect other people's tastes...

@Hobgoblin2012:

I don't understand why you said you would never trust someone like Haibara...she showed many times that she could sacrifice her life for her friends,I wish I had a friend like that...So can you explain your point please?

@Hobgoblin2012:

I don't understand why you said you would never trust someone like Haibara...she showed many times that she could sacrifice her life for her friends,I wish I had a friend like that...So can you explain your point please?

Well, it's just that she is too mysterious, not a very open person. I wouldn't know what to expect from her. But maybe when I said that I was just too annoyed at people who say she is so much better than Ran. If we don't consider the hypothetical ConanxAi pairing, then I don't really dislike Ai, even though I am annoyed that she and Agasa prevent Conan from telling Ran the truth (I know theoretically it's for her safety, but in my opinion it really doesn't matter to the BO whether she knows or not, if they discovered who Conan is, they would have killed his friends anyway, just to be sure).

Anyway, Ai is an interesting character, contributes very much to the story, I want for her to have a happy ending, it's just I don't want her to marry Shinichi. I understand that Gosho for now doesn't seem to have such an intention, but if the number of ConanxAi fans in Japan becomes bigger than ShinichixRan fans, how should we know he doesn't change his mind? It's the big market after all, even though I really hope Gosho cares more about his ideas than about making more money.

ok I understand what you mean...I know many people don't like Ai because she is a "danger" for Shinran couple,not taking care of her character development.We should separate the characters analysis from the pairing.

I personally use to dislike Ran mostly because of her relationship with Shin,but then I dropped all the pairing war to focus on Ran as a character and she's Ok to me.I just wish Gosho to make more effort on Ran as an individual an not only as Shinichi lover.

Concerning Ai and Agasa not telling the truth to Ran,well I agree it's a stupid idea (it was Agasa's idea in the first place),but Ai did let a choice to Conan (in Volume 26),it's not like she forced him to continue to lie.

I don't think Gosho will change the story even if there are more Aicon fans than Shinran...I remember he said once in an intereview that Aicon is impossible.Gosho is aware that Ai is more popular than Ran but his favorite couple is still Shinran ...so it would be weird for him to change everything now that Shinichi confessed to Ran.

Well as a fan of DC I always like the ShinRan only because of the lovey dovey between them. Also we can get interest in episode only if Ran in danger not someone else because Kudo cannot think of anything bad happening to her so he will try to his extent to save her when compared to anyone else. Well even AiCon is also nice but I think ShinRan is better.

Honestly as someone who is for Shinichi/Ran, I can see why she might be overrated, or I'm making a baseless guess.

But I think it just goes back to how early on in the series she arguably had more of a character to her that seems downplayed in the recent episodes.

And I think overall it's that their relationship overall works better when a series isn't anywhere near as long. Over 70 Volumes of manga and over 500 anime episodes. Yeah, we can discuss it in other threads, but keeping things the same (aside from the London confession) is questionable for a series this lengthy.

After escaping denial I realized I don't have any problem with childhood couples (and I'm pretty sure most people who claim this, don't), IMO it's the somewhat dull pairings like KaitoXAoko and ShinRan which ruin the image of childhood couples in everyone's eyes. Don't get me wrong, I like Ran and ShinRan too, I admit that it's very easy to appeal to their 'kawaii' moments, and get all teary eyed for Ran and think "Oh ! Poor Ran, she deserves Shinichi !! No one else should get near to him ! :wub:  :wub: " but  when I see Haibara or Conan even have one of their little chats I think back and say "Wow, ShinRan looks awfully silly compared to this." It's pretty easy for fans to get appealed to the 'kawaii' moments of ShinRan, rather than the profound relationship of ConAi, it's unfortunate. 

I personally like Ran more as a character than Ai, she is more open and friendly, Ai is too secretive. I agree that Ai is an interesting character, it's just I don't think she should necessarily be paired with Conan in a romantic way, friendship is good too, and it's not because of pity for Ran being alone that I support ShinxRan. It's just I can't get emotional by watching a romantic pairing if they are not childhood friends.

I support ShinRan and Ai is my favourite character... But Ran's character is caring and patient, I don't see how someone could hate her!

I agree she is in danger most of the time, but that doesn't count as a hole in her personality- it's done to thicken the plot of an episode. 

• Upvote 1