Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

The Secret Behind Vermouth's Youth!

148 members have voted

1. 1. What is the cause of Vermouth's youth?

• She took APTX 4869 to get younger
    • She took APTX 4869 to commit suicide and it affected her aging instead
    • She took APTX 4869 as an experiment
    • She was exposed to APTX 4869 on accident and it affected her aging
    • She took APTX 4869 for some other reason
    • She took something else to get younger
    • She took something else to commit suicide and it affected her aging instead
    • She took something else as an experiment
    • She was exposed to something else on accident and it affected her aging
    • She took something else for some other reason
    • Sharon and Chris are two different people so no deaging is involved
    • Vermouth had plastic surgery
    • She used the gem Pandora's tears
    • Vermouth ages normally, she just disguises it really well
    • Vermouth goes through some continuous therapy to keep her aging halted
    • Vermouth naturally doesn't age
    • The brain of the older Vermouth was transplanted into a younger clone
    • Vermouth isn't human (e.g. undead)
    • Something else
  2. 2. How old is Vermouth really?

• 0-19
    • 20-30 (Chris's age = 29)
    • 31-44
    • 45-60 (Sharon's approximate age)
    • 61-74
    • 75-90 (Sharon's mom's approximate age)
    • 91-119
    • 120+

Well, that could be true, but... it would be great if Gosho-san explained exactly what's going on (and he probably won't for years). Oh well, I suppose Vermouth's youth had to be because of Pandora. But the comet, the comet,...whatever. Just have to make it up, huh?

I guess... But you could try to figure out a good reason. You could make say that she took a prototype APTX4869. The APTX4869 was supposed to make you immortal. Instead, it shrunk her. The scientists (most likely Ai's parents) tried to reconfigure it. Unfortunately, they messed it up and when they tested it, it mainly killed. But the original goal was to make a pill of immortality.

Whatever caused her youth, I'm 1000% sure it's NOT plastic surgery.

Plastic surgeries are very common in Detective Conan. So if Vermouth had had plastic surgery to become younger, it would have been really normal, and Gosho didn't even have to hide the truth (not that it would actually spoil anything). But no, Gosho DID hide it. Which means that the cause of her youth has nothing to do with surgeries (unless of course surgery was also a part of a project).

Not to mention that her incredible strength and stamina cannot be of a 50+ years old woman, no matter how hard she had trained herself. Despite being a woman, her strength can even be compared with Gin's (if I'm not mistaken, sometimes Vermouth is even stronger than Gin). Her eye-sight is also very good, that she could aim correctly just by glancing at a mirror, while driving a car... So Vermouth's young on both the inside and the outside. No surgery can do that...

Plastic surgeries are very common in Detective Conan. So if Vermouth had had plastic surgery to become younger, it would have been really normal, and Gosho didn't even have to hide the truth (not that it would actually spoil anything). But no, Gosho DID hide it. Which means that the cause of her youth has nothing to do with surgeries (unless of course surgery was also a part of a project).

Not to mention that her incredible strength and stamina cannot be of a 50+ years old woman, no matter how hard she had trained herself. Despite being a woman, her strength can even be compared to Gin's. Her eye-sight is also very good, that she could aim correctly just by glancing at a mirror, while driving a car... So Vermouth's young on both the inside and the outside. No surgery can do that...

Eyesight is said to decline with age, however I know people in their 70s with clear vision. Strength can also be maintained with a healthy lifestyle (though I'm still within my prime years I have yet to experience a decline in strength).

But most of us are pretty sure it is not plastic surgery.

Not to mention that her incredible strength and stamina cannot be of a 50+ years old woman, no matter how hard she had trained herself. Despite being a woman, her strength can even be compared with Gin's (if I'm not mistaken, sometimes Vermouth is even stronger than Gin). Her eye-sight is also very good, that she could aim correctly just by glancing at a mirror, while driving a car... So Vermouth's young on both the inside and the outside. No surgery can do that...

Don't tell me... O_O

She's ACTUALLY A MAN!!!!

Lol joking :P

If Vermouth just simply doesn't age, there's a possibility that she has been there when modern humans first existed. And by "modern humans" i meant the Homo sapiens sapiens species (yes, that's us); which was there 200.000 years ago; not like "today modern"... In fact, she might have been the ancestor of the whole humankind... :P

Hehe... I know, it's s creepy thought... :lol:

If Vermouth just simply doesn't age, there's a possibility that she has been there when modern humans first existed. And by "modern humans" i meant the Homo sapiens sapiens species (yes, that's us); which was there 200.000 years ago; not like "today modern"... In fact, she might have been the ancestor of the whole humankind... :P

I can picture her as being old but not like... as old as humankind :P

She would be physically different. This would be noticeable.

Somehow I doubt this. :V

She would be physically different. This would be noticeable.

Somehow I doubt this. :V

Especially since EVERYTHING ON EARTH AGES!

Are you insinuating that she is in fact Time Lord?

(would be an epic twist, she could be the Master and the Doctor could just appear randomly to defeat her)

Especially since EVERYTHING ON EARTH AGES!

Erodes, in this case. If she did achieve cellular immortality, if she wasn't preserved in a preservation-like environment, her body would be subject to environmental damage from several eras in time, and her body would simply...wear away.

Erodes, in this case. If she did achieve cellular immortality, if she wasn't preserved in a preservation-like environment, her body would be subject to environmental damage from several eras in time, and her body would simply...wear away.

What if she has some kind of self-healing ability, which slowly recovered her from every environmental damage ?

What if she has some kind of self-healing ability, which slowly recovered her from every environmental damage ?

Hmm. That seems almost as far-fetched as the actual being-as-old-as-humanity idea. But if one is true, the other would be plausible.

So you are saying she is not a Time Lord, but is in actuality X-23? Interesting.

Still ridiculous.

There is no such thing as cellular immortality. Cells live, go through cellular replication cycles, then die. Until there is proof otherwise Gosho will NEVER go that route. There is at least a pseudo-scientific explanation for APTX's effects.

There is no such thing as cellular immortality. Cells live, go through cellular replication cycles, then die. Until there is proof otherwise Gosho will NEVER go that route. There is at least a pseudo-scientific explanation for APTX's effects.

I am pretty damn sure Gosho went that route with the telomerase adding enzyme. The only reason a lay person would put something like that in their fantastic immortality recipe is if they wanted cells to stay in a youthful state forever. Think about it, someone who isn't sciencey reads that cells start with a long length of telomeres and that every time it divides, the telomeres get shorter until the cell can't divide anymore which means it gets old (senesces) and dies. The logical thing would be to keep adding telomerase to keep the telomeres long so the cell stays young forever. That explanation obviously makes sense to some people because what else would explain all the telomerase supplements I see sold online?

Edit: fixed telomerase per Kyuu

It takes a lot more reading and knowledge to understand uninhibited telomerase is a ticket to fun times with cancer, and for all his clever cases, I don't think Gosho knows or cares enough to make it more believable. APTX and the cure are pretty much macGuffins, Conan and Ai are trying to get them, but it doesn't really matter what they are made of as long as they do what they are supposed to -- APTX could be extract of anti-Pandora, a cocktail of enzymes, a pill of distorted time, or Gin's distilled urine. All Gosho needs to do is add a thin veneer of science, because no one cares about the technical details of what Haibara is doing in Agasa's basement.

I am pretty damn sure Gosho went that route with the telomerase adding enzyme. The only reason a lay person would put something like that in their fantastic immortality recipe is if they wanted cells to stay in a youthful state forever. Think about it, someone who isn't sciencey reads that cells start with a long length of telomerase and that every time it divides, the telomerase gets shorter until the cell can't divide anymore which means it gets old (senesces) and dies. The logical thing would be to keep adding telomerase so the cell stays young forever. That explanation obviously makes sense to some people because what else would explain all the telomerase supplements I see sold online?

It takes a lot more reading and knowledge to understand uninhibited telomerase is a ticket to fun times with cancer, and for all his clever cases, I don't think Gosho knows or cares enough to make it more believable. APTX and the cure are are pretty much MacGuffins, Conan and Ai are trying to get them, but it doesn't really matter what they are made of as long as they do what they are supposed to -- APTX could be extract of anti-Pandora, a cocktail of enzymes, a pill of distorted time, or Gin's distilled urine. All Gosho needs to do is add a thin veneer of science, because no one cares about the technical details of what Haibara is doing in Agasa's basement.

He did? I don't recall... Then again I could have just blocked it from memory to continue enjoying the series. And yeah... I suppose that is true for the lay person, but a lot of people also use DC to learn, so that is not a good thing.

I would get into how there is no such thing as a "length of telomerase" as telomerase is a protein that adds a nonencoding sequence to the 3' end of DNA to prevent shortening. But lets not get into the overly scientific specifics.

There are some things that concern me:

Why did Sharon Vineyard chose to "die" at the time 1 year ago ? Why not earlier ? Or later ?

And what exactly has "Chris Vineyard" been doing in the U.S. from her mother's "death" till the Haido Hotel Case (nearly a whole year) ?

Vermouth is Pandora. Case closed. no pun intended.

I don't get the pun :mellow:

Wait first...I don't think she became immortal because of pandora...that would make her 50,000 years old?!

The comet is said to approach the Earth every 10.000 years. But I don't think that Vermouth used Pandora to be younger.