Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

Martial Arts

I never had been in fights. And had never even trying to got in martial art lessons. Few years agot they started jujitsu lessons at our town and I was thinking of going, but didn't went.

Kendo is onlyone that really interest me. Archery is interesting and if I make bow I can use it for fun. But it's not really powerful if it's not Crossbow. My self made crossbow was quite powerful and I like to shoot with it but it broke. And running is not my best thing, but when it's needed to run barefoot or in forest, I'm faster than many whose are fast on tarmac.

As I asked to AixConan: have you ever used your martial art's skills in real life? I mean, aside of your training lessons, have you ever needed self-defense in your daily life? I'm just curious about it (:.

I always do. <_< I live in a dangerous place. Too many gangsters, too many *ahem* pervetic *ahem* men and many other weirdos who want to pick a fight. Well, I almost always run but if I HAVE to fight, I'll fight. Even when they're in groups, I usually am better than them as..

1. I know the terrain better so I can use it to my advantage.

2. Speed and accuracy. My speed and accuracy are really good so they sometimes won't even know what's coming. :P

3. My training. duh. <_< Most of the people who tries to fight me are not completely trained so I can overpower them. :P

So I always run into fights. :evil: I don't really like it though. Waste time and energy. And if I do fight, I usually draw blood so my clothes will get dirty. Hard to wash off. <_<

I wanted to learn Karate. But my parents refused. D:

Tell them that the dojo in Karate Kid is NOT an accurate depiction of Karate dojos. And learning martial arts was possibly the best choice I made in my life.

Tell them that the dojo in Karate Kid is NOT an accurate depiction of Karate dojos. And learning martial arts was possibly the best choice I made in my life.

Is the martial art in Karate Kid even Karate??

I always do. <_< I live in a dangerous place. Too many gangsters, too many *ahem* pervetic *ahem* men and many other weirdos who want to pick a fight. Well, I almost always run but if I HAVE to fight, I'll fight. Even when they're in groups, I usually am better than them as..

1. I know the terrain better so I can use it to my advantage.

2. Speed and accuracy. My speed and accuracy are really good so they sometimes won't even know what's coming. :P

3. My training. duh. <_< Most of the people who tries to fight me are not completely trained so I can overpower them. :P

So I always run into fights. :evil: I don't really like it though. Waste time and energy. And if I do fight, I usually draw blood so my clothes will get dirty. Hard to wash off. <_<

In your place it sound that its almost compulsory to know some martial arts.

Here its not so needed than in cities

Just a question. Should I learn any martial art for fun or out of interest? I don't know if I should because of what's happening to my piano... I hate practicing :P I tried Taekwondo (Is that how it's spelt???) for one day (it was a free trial) but I wasn't feeling well that day so I gave up after... But my sister wants to learn Karate, and I was thinking maybe to try Taekwondo again. I would have but I've got other things on when they have Taekwondo practices...

Just a question. Should I learn any martial art for fun or out of interest? I don't know if I should because of what's happening to my piano... I hate practicing :P I tried Taekwondo (Is that how it's spelt???) for one day (it was a free trial) but I wasn't feeling well that day so I gave up after... But my sister wants to learn Karate, and I was thinking maybe to try Taekwondo again. I would have but I've got other things on when they have Taekwondo practices...

Well, if you're too busy with other things, don't stress yourself with taking TKD. But then again, if you live in a dangerous place, I suggest you take it. But you can learn it at home as well. Learning because you're interested is fine but you can't give up half-way.

Well, if you're too busy with other things, don't stress yourself with taking TKD. But then again, if you live in a dangerous place, I suggest you take it. But you can learn it at home as well. Learning because you're interested is fine but you can't give up half-way.

I'm going to say this, and it is very important... Taekwondo is one of the worst martial arts to take for self-defense. I blame the Olympics, but the second the focus of most schools became competition, it stopped teaching the techniques that are effective in real life situations. Not to mention you are not taught to expect everything as would be possible in a fight.

I REALLY want to learn Karate. Time to do what nee-chan says, learn online!

NO! Books and internet instruction is NO substitute for a proper instructor or master. You will not know if you are doing something wrong, and in martial arts that leads to bad habits and things that can damage your joints. In Karate, one of the hardest things to learn is how to PIVOT properly. As a former instructor I have seen COUNTLESS students pivot improperly. What ends up happening is that they end up twisting their joints and causing irreversible damage to their joints. I made it a point to teach that properly to all my students. They may not have always won in competition, but they sure as hell knew two things when I left. 1) How to perform proper techniques 2) How to defend themselves IRL. And that is all I cared about.

I'm going to say this, and it is very important... Taekwondo is one of the worst martial arts to take for self-defense. I blame the Olympics, but the second the focus of most schools became competition, it stopped teaching the techniques that are effective in real life situations. Not to mention you are not taught to expect everything as would be possible in a fight.

My teacher would agree wholeheartedly. So much of taekwondo relies on kicking that according to him it's fairly easy to overpower someone.

My teacher would agree wholeheartedly. So much of taekwondo relies on kicking that according to him it's fairly easy to overpower someone.

That I would agree now real life situation it really does not help in self-defence .

off course the techniques that were effective are not taught or are illegal in sport competition same with other Martial art's as well so it's not much use in real life situation.

I would really love to have sparring match with some of you guys. It would be an honor.

I don't live in a dangerous place :P It's more as a hobby if that's what you call it... :)

If only you could teach me... :P

That I would agree now real life situation it really does not help in self-defence .

off course the techniques that were effective are not taught or are illegal in sport competition same with other Martial art's as well so it's not much use in real life situation.

I would really love to have sparring match with some of you guys. It would be an honor.

Okay, thanks for the advice.

.....I thought the kid in Karate Kid was learning Kung Fu.........O.o

The international title was the kung-fu kid. The original was from the 80s, and was actually about a kid learning karate.

You make a good point... TKD mostly focuses on competitions, not on real life... <_< So what MA would you suggest Kyuu? I would suggest Krav Maga and Wing Chun as well as Jujitsu or Judo. :unsure:

NO! Books and internet instruction is NO substitute for a proper instructor or master. You will not know if you are doing something wrong, and in martial arts that leads to bad habits and things that can damage your joints. In Karate, one of the hardest things to learn is how to PIVOT properly. As a former instructor I have seen COUNTLESS students pivot improperly. What ends up happening is that they end up twisting their joints and causing irreversible damage to their joints. I made it a point to teach that properly to all my students. They may not have always won in competition, but they sure as hell knew two things when I left. 1) How to perform proper techniques 2) How to defend themselves IRL. And that is all I cared about.

Again you make a good point. I learned some martial arts online but I already knew the basic fighting skills so it was easy for me to know if I was doing it right or wrong. For someone who never learnt how to punch and block properly yet, learning online is a terrible idea...

I should have thought about it before I told Cindy to do that.... :oops: I'll tell her to find an instructor or something.

Guys, in a few days time I'm going to see a Dojo with my father in order to see if he finally agrees on letting me learn Aikido. *O*. I wrote an email to them weeks ago and they are willing to see me and my parents. I'm beeing quite insistent with martial arts, so my father said yes ·3·.

So Cindy, maybe if you do the same as me your parents will make up their mind. Try to find a good place near home and talk to someone, then take your father/mother with you, so they can see what karate really looks like. And good luck!

Uwaaa~~!! >.< My dad took us to a martial arts place today!! And he let me join!!!! \o/ \o/

I'm starting tomorrow..!!! Sooooo excited!! >.<

The only thing is, though, they do a lot of martial arts (combined), but their main focus is TKD......

And both Kyuu-san and Ai-chan said that it wasn't a good martial arts to take for self-defense....? >_<

*sigh* I wanted to learn Karate......

Ah well, still, I'm reaaally excited for it~!! Woo~~ xD

Uwaaa~~!! >.< My dad took us to a martial arts place today!! And he let me join!!!! \o/ \o/

I'm starting tomorrow..!!! Sooooo excited!! >.<

The only thing is, though, they do a lot of martial arts (combined), but their main focus is TKD......

And both Kyuu-san and Ai-chan said that it wasn't a good martial arts to take for self-defense....? >_<

*sigh* I wanted to learn Karate......

Ah well, still, I'm reaaally excited for it~!! Woo~~ xD

Don't worry, Karate and TKD are *very* similar (well the popular Karate). And neither are particularly good for self-defense really. Hopefully the combined will teach you more practical self-defense techniques though.

Congratulations on the start of your journey though. Let us know how it goes :). If you need any help or advice, let us know, I'll try to help in any way I can.