Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

Martial Arts

Alright. So this was bound to happen, whether it is because there are a few martial artists on here or because several of the DC characters are martial artists, this thread was inevitable.

Whatever your style or philosophy of martial arts, it is welcome.

I for one do not believe in competition because it clouds the pure style with rules. Most sports practitioners call me cheap because I use certain moves that are illegal in competition due to the nature of my training, but those whom I have befriended in the martial arts all agree with me to at least some degree, though we all love the sport of MMA.

Meh, I did karate when I was younger, but long since have stopped. Mostly my fighting moves consist of what I have seen and have figured out how to do, or just random stuff I make up on the spot. =X

I already stated it in my 'About Me' page but I'll just say it here again.

In order of what I learnt:

Taekwondo (learnt it when I was 3)

Silat( learnt it at 5)

Wushu (Started at 10)

Thai Kickboxing or Muay Thai( learnt it unofficially)

Jujitsu(my big bro taught me)

Aikido (learnt it by myself)

I don't really use only one of them. I kinda mix it all together so it suits the time of need. :) But I restrain from using Muay Thai as my brother told me that it is really dangerous. If used right, the impact is really great. :blink:

I was wrong?

Indeed. Kazuha does Aikido. His mother also is a fighter, though I don't know what style.

And btw, Misaki-chan, so long as you know how to throw a punch and kick properly, most things you make up will be real moves that your body will instinctively do. So it isn't a bad thing.

Silat( learnt it at 5)

Wushu (Started at 10)

I don't really use only one of them. I kinda mix it all together so it suits the time of need. :) But I restrain from using Muay Thai as my brother told me that it is really dangerous. If used right, the impact is really great. :blink:

Aww...lucky! I really want to learn Karate now.

Silat( learnt it at 5)

Wushu (Started at 10)

What belt are you in Taekwondo?

And btw, Misaki-chan, so long as you know how to throw a punch and kick properly, most things you make up will be real moves that your body will instinctively do. So it isn't a bad thing.

*really hopes she remembers when the time comes, as she cannot remember ATM how to* =X

\o/

I pride myself on a hybrid style that mixes a bunch of stuff I learned from a teacher and Bruce Lee. :V

Silat( learnt it at 5)

Wushu (Started at 10)

-sigh- No martial art is inherently more dangerous than the next. None. I hate it when people say that. The only ones arguable are the purpose built ones for military like Krav Maga and Systema. All the rest have their dangerous moves and their not so dangerous. I have trained long enough to know this as fact. Are the knees and lower kicks of Muay Thai really effective? Yes, but so are the higher kicks of TKD and Shotokan, Kenpo, Kyukushin and other forms of Karatedo. A proper kick from any art can break bones and shatter limbs. And knees and elbows are just simply effective, with or without training. Training just helps generate more power and accuracy.

I've learned a variety of arts officially and unofficially. Some were beneficial to me, others not so much. The best things I learned were pressure points and locks from HKD and JJ and the ground work from BJJ. Then learning how to apply those things in a simple and effective way through Krav Maga just made sense and created my art which is based around personal effectiveness in a pinch. Sometimes dirty? Yes, but I'll survive, the other person might not.

I have to say though... the Wing Chun punching style is fantastic. Nothing beats it. I've proven to a few friends that once I get in in a pure punching game with only lower kicks, all I need to do is break through for a second and its over. But Wing Chun is not infallible and needs to be supplemented with arts that can deal with locks and take downs.

• Upvote 3

-sigh- No martial art is inherently more dangerous than the next. None. I hate it when people say that. The only ones arguable are the purpose built ones for military like Krav Maga and Systema. All the rest have their dangerous moves and their not so dangerous. I have trained long enough to know this as fact. Are the knees and lower kicks of Muay Thai really effective? Yes, but so are the higher kicks of TKD and Shotokan, Kenpo, Kyukushin and other forms of Karatedo. A proper kick from any art can break bones and shatter limbs. And knees and elbows are just simply effective, with or without training. Training just helps generate more power and accuracy.

I've learned a variety of arts officially and unofficially. Some were beneficial to me, others not so much. The best things I learned were pressure points and locks from HKD and JJ and the ground work from BJJ. Then learning how to apply those things in a simple and effective way through Krav Maga just made sense and created my art which is based around personal effectiveness in a pinch. Sometimes dirty? Yes, but I'll survive, the other person might not.

I have to say though... the Wing Chun punching style is fantastic. Nothing beats it. I've proven to a few friends that once I get in in a pure punching game with only lower kicks, all I need to do is break through for a second and its over. But Wing Chun is not infallible and needs to be supplemented with arts that can deal with locks and take downs.

Hmm... You have a good point. :blink: Wing Chun is really fascinating! :D I tried it out once and I always wanted to take it up! Maybe I should start soon...

Based on her age and the fact that she has been back for a year, she is 1st Poom.

Yeah I am. Dumb Taekwondo rules say that you must be over 16 to get 1st Dan. <_< So right now, I'm just waiting till I'm 16. 2 more years to go.... :evil:

+1

When I was younger, I learnt 'Kung Fu', but I never really got anywhere with it. :mellow:

I took Karate since the beginning of this school year, and I'm currently a(n) Orange belt.

Oh wow... I can't even do punches or kicks normally xD DCW seems more and more like a dangerous place... XD

yea... say something wrong and the MAA will send two of their top fighters, Kyuu and AixConan4ever to assassinate you ....lol

XD I feel undertrained now. I took Tae Kwon Do for like a year before we moved to Florida, and then a circuit of nontraditional Aikido classes. I think wrestling with my brother and sister is training enough for me now. XD