Detective Conan World
Kyuu Nye

Martial Arts

Wow, that was really helpful o_รณ.

Basically, I want to learn something useful that I can apply in real life. I don't live in a dangerous place and my city is usually calm, but if I have to do something I want to do it right.

What I like about Aikido is that it inclues that mental training as well.

My weight is 50 kg and I'm 1'60m height - more or less. According to that, I want to take advantage on what I could do best. (As you can see I still quite lost xD). Wich one does defense and attack at the same time, using not just the physical strength but more aspects of your body's natural moves?

Ok, I'll try with Krav Maga. Now the problem is that I'm from Spain, and martial arts are very rare here. And my father said he would let me do it if it was only for girls. So I'll try to find something not to far from home and just for girls and I'll tell you.

You've helped me a lot, and I've discovered many styles that I didn't know, so thank you, thank you very very much ^.^

Edit.

I just read more about Aikido. I seems really interesting as well. Can you also tell me something about it, please *-*? Any personal experiences are welcomed. I've found a good center (a little bit far, but whatever) and I would like to try it.

Aikido is a good it is wristy art mostly focuses on blocking an attack and using the same defence as offence

let me warn you this whatever art or style you pick better be ready to put lot of effort in it . I have seen many people giving up on learning half way through just because it gets tuff, if you try to learn martial arts without making up your mind to go through anything you wouldn't last for long time.

Oh, effort is not an issue. I've done lots of other sports and I don't usually give up. Martial arts are something I've always wanted to do and I thing I'll handle it. That's another reason I want to choose well, because I want to be happy with my choice.

Oh, effort is not an issue. I've done lots of other sports and I don't usually give up. Martial arts are something I've always wanted to do and I thing I'll handle it. That's another reason I want to choose well, because I want to be happy with my choice.

Don't take martial art's as any other sports cuz unlike other sports martial art's affects everyone around you as well and it get's really physical and mental too. well it's up to you in the end I have warned you what not to do if you have intent to learn you should but give it your all. good luck :)

Thanks! I'll take your warnings really seriously (:.

Good I am not trying to demotivate you I just told what sort of mind set you should be in to learn any form of martial art's

Wow, that was really helpful o_รณ.

Basically, I want to learn something useful that I can apply in real life. I don't live in a dangerous place and my city is usually calm, but if I have to do something I want to do it right.

What I like about Aikido is that it inclues that mental training as well.

My weight is 50 kg and I'm 1'60m height - more or less. According to that, I want to take advantage on what I could do best. (As you can see I still quite lost xD). Wich one does defense and attack at the same time, using not just the physical strength but more aspects of your body's natural moves?

Well, about the attack and defend at the same time, I know that Wing Chun does that. If I'm not wrong, Jeet Kune Do has moves that do that as well. However, I personally prefer Wing Chun. Wing Chun was created by a woman so it should fit us girls(according to the legend which I like to believe in :P ). Wing Chun is good for close combat so if you are looking for that kind of fighting style, I'll say that you should take Wing Chun. They mainly focus on punches and kicks that use the entire body weight which should be able to cover up any lack in strength.

But I am not the expert on Wing Chun here as I barely learnt it. I only practiced a few times to get the style into my fighting and stopped there. You should ask Kyuu as he learns it more extensively as I do. :)

Well, about the attack and defend at the same time, I know that Wing Chun does that. If I'm not wrong, Jeet Kune Do has moves that do that as well. However, I personally prefer Wing Chun. Wing Chun was created by a woman so it should fit us girls(according to the legend which I like to believe in :P ). Wing Chun is good for close combat so if you are looking for that kind of fighting style, I'll say that you should take Wing Chun. They mainly focus on punches and kicks that use the entire body weight which should be able to cover up any lack in strength.

But I am not the expert on Wing Chun here as I barely learnt it. I only practiced a few times to get the style into my fighting and stopped there. You should ask Kyuu as he learns it more extensively as I do. :)

Before telling the style which she should learn

shouldn't we tell her To progress in the foundation part basic foundations are necessary as you have learnt many art form you must know mostly all of the martial arts have basic foundations and most of the are similar.

...Just wondering.....

I know there are a lot of differences in every Martial Art....

But...

I've been wondering this for a while now...xP

What's the difference between Karate and Kung Fu??

Yes... Wing Chun does attack and defend at the same time, mostly through trapping. Jeet Kun Do does the same, but you have to remember the only reason JKD does is because WC does. Wing Chun was Bruce Lee's first martial art and he learned it under Ip Man.

That said, I should mention that JKD isn't so much a martial art as a system of thinking about combining various arts. Bruce Lee did not live long enough to cement it into a complete martial art.

...Just wondering.....

I know there are a lot of differences in every Martial Art....

But...

I've been wondering this for a while now...xP

What's the difference between Karate and Kung Fu??

Which Karate and which Kung Fu???? Technically if you are using just those words I'll go ahead and say "none" because Kung Fu essentially always has an art comparable to a style of Karate. (there are TONS of Kung Fu styles, I only know of a handful, but there are many more, especially regionally).

If you want gross generalizations... Most people would say Kung Fu has lower stances and is more circular and Karate is more linear and has higher stances. This however is again, a gross generalization and completely false.

Which Karate and which Kung Fu???? Technically if you are using just those words I'll go ahead and say "none" because Kung Fu essentially always has an art comparable to a style of Karate. (there are TONS of Kung Fu styles, I only know of a handful, but there are many more, especially regionally).

If you want gross generalizations... Most people would say Kung Fu has lower stances and is more circular and Karate is more linear and has higher stances. This however is again, a gross generalization and completely false.

Ohhh....there are kinds..? >_< Sorryy, I didn't know.....

Ah, well then...nevermind..!! Thanks though!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Chinese_martial_arts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_karate_styles

That Chinese martial arts list is totally in complete. But yeah... There are a spare few of each.

cool as far as i know I have seen less people these day's practicing orthodox internal styles

as they are know as the hardest.

As for kyuu i am quite interested to know if you had any weapons training ?

If yes, what is your preferred weapon ?

cool as far as i know I have seen less people these day's practicing orthodox internal styles

as they are know as the hardest.

As for kyuu i am quite interested to know if you had any weapons training ?

If yes, what is your preferred weapon ?

Several and none. Weapons to me are only to improve the basics of unarmed combat. However, my knife training is the most useful, knowing how to use a knife also means you know how to defend against a knife. And knives are among the most popular weapon you'll see in the street.

But really, I like keeping it unarmed. I'll never have a bo, nunchaku, kali stick, bamboo whip, sword, sai, kama or tonfa in real life.

Btw, in order of how much I was trained it goes Bo, katana, knife, kali sticks, tonfa, nunchaku, straight sword, sai and kama. The top three I was trained pretty strictly in.

Oh right, I also learned how to fire a bow and arrow from my father. And was taught knife throwing as well.

O.O

>__<

Ahh, I had no idea....Sorry..

And thanks..!!

Most people don't realize that "Karate" and "Kung-fu" refer to martial arts of the countries rather than a specific style. Karate is the unarmed striking arts of Japan, and Kung Fu is the name of all chinese martial arts. I blame the media for this.

I also blame the media for the gross misconception of the ninja. But I'll try not getting into that here, unless people want me to.

Several and none. Weapons to me are only to improve the basics of unarmed combat. However, my knife training is the most useful, knowing how to use a knife also means you know how to defend against a knife. And knives are among the most popular weapon you'll see in the street.

But really, I like keeping it unarmed. I'll never have a bo, nunchaku, kali stick, bamboo whip, sword, sai, kama or tonfa in real life.

Btw, in order of how much I was trained it goes Bo, katana, knife, kali sticks, tonfa, nunchaku, straight sword, sai and kama. The top three I was trained pretty strictly in.

Oh right, I also learned how to fire a bow and arrow from my father. And was taught knife throwing as well.

yep I agree with you weapons are to improve basic I was trained with knives as well knives are handful and easy to carry around i got one from my uncle it was a khukri knive

and katana, butterfly sword , tonfa and nunchuku.

I prefer tonfa and butterfly sword goes well with my style as muay thai techniques are rely on use of joints.

As for street punks i have seen some who handle knives poorly I mean like their grip is bad and vitals are open .

I wanna learn karate!

You see, I was a white belt, then I got promoted to a yellow belt, but I quit...

(I just wanna learn some kind of martial art, it looks so cool :D)

I don't really like using a weapon but I admit that I use them quite often. When I'm learning Wushu, I'm taught to use varius weapons. But I prefer a staff more than anything. If I am ganged on by numerous opponents, using a staff could really make my work a lot easier. :)

I am pretty good at archery as well as I took that course in school for a few months. :)

I wanna learn karate!

You see, I was a white belt, then I got promoted to a yellow belt, but I quit...

(I just wanna learn some kind of martial art, it looks so cool :D)

To: Emily-chan AKA knpce: (READ THIS)

I really don't like it when someone says that. Martial arts are meant to protect you. NOT to make yourself look cool. <_< Learning it is fine but when the idea of looking cool gets into your head, you tend to use the skills you learnt for more harm than good. If you think that just cos you take karate or whatever, you can beat the dudes around the block, think again. Thinking it's cool gets you to do stupid things like challenging people to a fight and always chasing after danger as you think that you are the only one who can throw a punch or a kick. Let me tell you this: If you try to act hero, you will end up in a very bad way. There are other people who are much stronger and more trained than you. Don't learn martial arts because you think it's cool. Kick that idea out of your head immediately. That idea as I already stressed, will only get you in a very bad situation. Learn your karate, I am not discouraging you from that. BUT I want you to keep in mind that you are learning it because you want to defend yourself, NOT to show off.

Sorry if I'm a little harsh but I really don't support the idea of learning it just because you want to look cool. Learn it to protect yourself and your loved ones but never, EVER to show off.

On a lighter note, I was wondering about everyone's strengths. Some people don't even know. So for who does, what are you really good at when it comes to protecting yourself? :)

For me, I am really good at kicking. As I don't have equal strength to a trained man, I tend to make use of my legs than my fists. My speed and accuracy makes up for my lack of strength and I am very careful to hit at pressure points so I can get the fight over and done with as soon as possible. :) I am really good at predicting the movements of my opponents. I don't really know why but I just know what would happen about five moves before it actually happened. I have no idea how though. :blink:

But what I'm really proud of and what I really excel in is....

RUNNING!!!!

I don't like getting into fights unless I can't help it. Three out of four times I am faced with a fight, I run. And I am really, really good at that. :P Those goons who are trying to fight with me can never catch up and I am really good at losing them as well. :D Running, to me, is the most important skill needed for self-protection. XP

What I'm really good at eh...? I'm good at gauging my opponents and figuring out what their strengths are. This allows me to control the pacing and the distance of the fight (which I couldn't do without my height). The only people I have a problem with are good BJJ practitioners and those who are really good at circular martial arts. The former because they are talented at breaking through guard and the latter because its harder to get a bead on them.

As for avoiding fighting tactics... I don't enjoy running away... too much effort and they can still chase after (though I'm quite fast, running still means that my back is to my opponents and if they can catch me I'm at a disadvantage). What I usually do to avoid fights is intimidate. It helps that while walking I usually look irate or slightly crazy. But yeah... Intimidation, getting the people to doubt their ability to beat me, works best imo. I've been told by a few of my friends that I have an air about me that basically says "don't mess with me" while I'm walking. And according to my id picture I've mastered the "I've killed people before" look (seriously, my ID picture looks like a mugshot of a guy who just killed several people, its quite hilarious).

What I'm really good at eh...? I'm good at gauging my opponents and figuring out what their strengths are. This allows me to control the pacing and the distance of the fight (which I couldn't do without my height). The only people I have a problem with are good BJJ practitioners and those who are really good at circular martial arts. The former because they are talented at breaking through guard and the latter because its harder to get a bead on them.

As for avoiding fighting tactics... I don't enjoy running away... too much effort and they can still chase after (though I'm quite fast, running still means that my back is to my opponents and if they can catch me I'm at a disadvantage). What I usually do to avoid fights is intimidate. It helps that while walking I usually look irate or slightly crazy. But yeah... Intimidation, getting the people to doubt their ability to beat me, works best imo. I've been told by a few of my friends that I have an air about me that basically says "don't mess with me" while I'm walking. And according to my id picture I've mastered the "I've killed people before" look (seriously, my ID picture looks like a mugshot of a guy who just killed several people, its quite hilarious).

Well, I can't look like a killer. <_< I can't intimidate that way. I don't know if I have an air that says, Don't mess with me'. So I think intimidation won't work for me.

For me running is a really good option, especially when my opponents are gangsters. And most of the times, they come in groups of five or six. <_< And my motto when it comes to self-protection is: I will fight only to run away again.:lol:

My stamina is really good and I know the technique to run away( I am not kidding. There's a technique for running). If you ever played catching with friends where you were being chased by numerous people, you would know how to run away. I am good at vaulting over fences, climbing walls and other stuff as well. I don't get cornered easily and I am quite good at improvising so that I can make my fight a lot easier if I can't run anymore. I guess that what makes me good at running if not for my speed. :P

As I asked to AixConan: have you ever used your martial art's skills in real life? I mean, aside of your training lessons, have you ever needed self-defense in your daily life? I'm just curious about it (:.

When I was a child I did a little Wing Chu with my dad xD.

I now practice Wushu for around 4/5 years ...

I sometimes combine moves from other Martial arts !

I also train a little bit Taichi !

My main focus is now Hung Gar kungfu.

I like to combine Wushu with TKD and Karate.

@Awagode

Yes !

Bullies and little fights at school ...

I deflected their fist and kicked them in their knees to break their gravity ...

It was a boxer btw.

@Awagode I kinda sorta did. Someone tried to pick pocket me, and I grabbed his hand and wrist locked it. Picked up my wallet and then let him go and went on my way.