Detective Conan World
Ariadne Miyano

What makes Haibara smile?

As we well know, Ai Haibara is one of the most emotional characters in the series. We see her mostly in her blunt or sad state. Well, we can't blame her. After all she had had a dramatic past- with deceased parents and violently murdered sister.

So I want to look on brighter side- what are the "few things" that make Ai smile

A joke? Not likely since she's the one who makes jokes most of the time and damn she doesn't ven realize she makes one

A prank? Maybe but mostly she's the one who pull pranks.

So what are those things??

There is someone that makes Haibara smile: Conan

As well as making her happy (sometimes), he even saved her from that bus explosion. I still am at ~250, but until now I've seen her happy only because of Conan and Detective Boys :)

There is someone that makes Haibara smile: Conan

As well as making her happy (sometimes), he even saved her from that bus explosion. I still am at ~250, but until now I've seen her happy only because of Conan and Detective Boys :)

Yeppppp! Definitely Conan! AICON FTW!

Haibara tends to smirk more than full on smile. Conan has noted that Haibara tends not to show her true emotions. For her to show a true smile is rare (and I personally can't think of a single instance), and I think Gosho has made that quite clear through how he has her smile.

• Upvote 1

The DB. :)

Conan can't make her smile- maybe when he does something childish that makes him seem like an actual kid because it in some way strengthens him with the DB- but the DB are the ultimate source of her smiles. :)

She faked smiles in a movie or two... I remember she was "acting like a child"

She smiles when she remembers her sister, Akemi, or comparing between Akemi and Ran... i think there were episodes...

When she do/think of evil stuff.... not evil as in evil but... you know, just... idk what to say...

When she hangs around with Ayumi. (Mission from London OVA thing...)

and... idk...

but I think, as Kyuu says, she grins or smirks than smile...

This is one reason why I <3 her. She so mature~~ <3 :P

tumblr_lwr9mt8IXs1qfliia.png

What are you talking about? Haibara smiles all the time. :twisted:

lol Just kidding!!!

But actually, I don't think Haibara's smile is really quite as rare as people make it out to be. "Brief" is probably a better term for it. It's there and then it's gone. Maybe when she was first introduced it was true her smiles were rare, and she tended to smirk more often. To be honest she had every reason to, what with the BO out to kill her and her sister dying some months earlier. I wouldn't particularly feel like smiling either knowing assassins murdered my only living family member and are coming after me next...

But we're about 600 or so chapters past that point. And lately (especially around the DB), she's been opening up and smiling a lot!

In fact, if it's not too off topic, I actually used to dislike Haibara a lot. Because the very first instance I can recall of seeing a genuine smile on her face was during the Desperate Revival Arc, when Shinichi changes back into Conan in the bathroom, and afterwards when he mentioned how frustrated he was at not being able to tell Ran what he wanted to tell her.

Vol 26 - File 260-261:

tumblr_lwrbc1DdVB1qfliia.png

She. Was. Smiling.

At. Someone's. Misfortune.

Needless to say, that kinda pissed me off. I mean, the arc was already an emotional roller coaster ride for me at the time, but then to see Ai so satisfied at the whole situation? Yeah, that just left me extremely antsy for months afterward.

But, I think she's gotten much better since then thanks to magic of character development, so I don't dislike her as much as I used to. I can remember quite a bit of instances where she's smiled.

• Like everyone's saying, that one case with the bear cub and Mitsuhiko where she was smiling all over the place.
    Volume 27 - File 273, Volume 28 File 274-275:
    tumblr_lwrhhp7JaF1qfliia.png
    For some reason, I'm more inclined to think she was smiling for Mitsuhiko, rather than at Mitsuhiko. totally not a biased aixayumi fangirl
  • When she finally works up the courage to face Ran.
    Volume 31 - File 313:
    tumblr_lwrj8fbSHH1qfliia.png
  • When Ayumi wanted to call her by her first name like all her other friends.
    Volume 39 - File 400:
    tumblr_lwr9nlhYdE1qfliia.png
  • When she was sick and ate Ran's cooking.
    Volume 41 - File 423:
    tumblr_lwr9n7VHzn1qfliia.png
  • After the Vermouth Arc, when Ayumi said she didn't want to run.
    Volume 43 - File 437:
    tumblr_lwr9nfbl5s1qfliia.png
  • After the Shiragami Case, when she was upset because she lost her static repellents and kept getting shocked.
    Volume 61 - File 637:
    tumblr_lwra2iRdln1qfliia.png
    Thank you Conan, for teaching everyone how to discharge static electricity! XD
  • But, I don't think I've ever seen her with a sweeter and truer smile on her face than when she's listening to Elena's tapes. C:
    Volume 42 - File 425, 427:
    tumblr_lwr9nbZuME1qfliia.png

• Upvote 3

lol Just kidding!!!

But actually, I don't think Haibara's smile is really quite as rare as people make it out to be. "Brief" is probably a better term for it. It's there and then it's gone. Maybe when she was first introduced it was true her smiles were rare, and she tended to smirk more often. To be honest she had every reason to, what with the BO out to kill her and her sister dying some months earlier. I wouldn't particularly feel like smiling either knowing assassins murdered my only living family member and are coming after me next...

But we're about 600 or so chapters past that point. And lately (especially around the DB), she's been opening up and smiling a lot!

In fact, if it's not too off topic, I actually used to dislike Haibara a lot. Because the very first instance I can recall of seeing a genuine smile on her face was during the Desperate Revival Arc, when Shinichi changes back into Conan in the bathroom, and afterwards when he mentioned how frustrated he was at not being able to tell Ran what he wanted to tell her.

Vol 26 - File 260-261:

She. Was. Smiling.

Needless to say, that kinda pissed me off. I mean, the arc was already an emotional roller coaster ride for me at the time, but then to see Ai so satisfied at the whole situation? Yeah, that just left me extremely antsy for months afterward.

But, I think she's gotten much better since then thanks to magic of character development, so I don't dislike her as much as I used to. I can remember quite a bit of instances where she's smiled.

• Like everyone's saying, that one case with the bear cub and Mitsuhiko where she was smiling all over the place.
    Volume 31 - File 313:
    Volume 39 - File 400:
    Volume 41 - File 423:
    Volume 43 - File 437:
  • After the Shiragami Case, when she was upset because she lost her static repellents and kept getting shocked.
    Volume 61 - File 637:
  • But, I don't think I've ever seen her with a sweeter and truer smile on her face than when she's listening to Elena's tapes. C:

Haibara was just an evil little biotch at first, wasn't she? XD

I love that Mitsuhiko and Haibara bear story. It's so heartwarming and it really did make her smile typically the entire time. (Muwahaha. PROOF! >:^D)

I didn't like Haibara at first, either. I personally started to like her BECAUSE she was just that mean to Conan. (I have a grudge against Conan for episode 63 and episode 130.)

lol Just kidding!!!

Vol 26 - File 260-261:

She. Was. Smiling.

For some reason, I'm more inclined to think she was smiling for Mitsuhiko, rather than at Mitsuhiko. totally not a biased aixayumi fangirl
    Volume 31 - File 313:
    Volume 39 - File 400:
    Volume 41 - File 423:
    Volume 43 - File 437:
    Volume 61 - File 637:

WOW!!!Your post sums up what I wanted to say^^

Btw eam I th only one who love Ai from the begining,I mean the evil Ai? XDDD

(I just don't like perfect and nice people XDDD)

lol Just kidding!!!

Vol 26 - File 260-261:

She. Was. Smiling.

Volume 31 - File 313:
    Volume 39 - File 400:
    Volume 41 - File 423:
    Volume 43 - File 437:
    Volume 61 - File 637:

I'd give you a rep for putting all of that together, but unfortunately I can't... <_<

Ever since I've watched ep. 129, I don't like her that much anymore, she seems evil... :mellow: (I had already watched some other episodes with Haibara like the bear one before that) But I always feel happy when I see her smile :)

Haibara was just an evil little biotch at first, wasn't she? XD

I love that Mitsuhiko and Haibara bear story. It's so heartwarming and it really did make her smile typically the entire time. (Muwahaha. PROOF! >:^D)

I didn't like Haibara at first, either. I personally started to like her BECAUSE she was just that mean to Conan. (I have a grudge against Conan for episode 63 and episode 130.)

Oh! Haha, I didn't watch 63 or 130 because they're filler so I have no idea what you're talking about. ^^; But yeah, I feel the same.

In the beginning I didn't like her at all because she wasn't the "fun" kind of mean, she was the "spiteful" kind of mean, so personally it turned me off to her character. :-|

But, after a while she's been turning into the "fun" kind and I absolutely love it whenever she teases Conan. Especially when she gives him a hard time about Ran. XD

for me errr.... when haibara put chilli powder in conan's clothes and the detective boys!

when the children seem happy . I mean her friends.

thanks for your nice discussion