- 1 Welcome to the DCW wiki!
- 2 Police Insignias
- 3 Timeline
- 4 RE: Style Questions
- 5 Feedback on List Format
- 6 Thanks
- 7 Re: DC Covers
- 8 Re: Manga "People" equivalent
- 9 Forum
- 10 S261157 or Ghostbot
- 11 Just a little appreciation
- 12 About Yumi's rank
- 13 Those color pictures...
- 14 Thanks for uploading new versions of those pictures
- 15 Extra u
- 16 Just made minor edit
- 17 ED 01 Images on OP 1 Page
- 18 Detective Conan in the Arab World
- 19 Police Organization
Welcome to the DCW wiki!
Those police insignias look wonderful. I look forward to seeing them on the DC police pages. If you need any help remembering who has what rank, this list may help (if you haven't seen it before): http://forum.dctp.ws/index.php?topic=6114.0. Best, Chekhov MacGuffin talk 13:28, 2 November 2011 (UTC)
At least in the pre-Conan section, there are descriptions about how one event lead to another: "Kenji Hagiwara is killed in an apartment bombing on Novemeber 7th when one of a duo of bombers gets revenge for his partner whom the police accidentally killed while he was running away. Hagiwara was the friend of Jinpei Matsuda who successfully disarmed the other bomb. The bomber's remaining partner plans for revenge 4 years later." If you are worried about complicated buildups like the Vermouth arc, you could always refer to the Vermouth timeline of other sections of the Vermouth page in your description. If this doesn't quite answer your question, send me another message. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 13:35, 9 November 2011 (UTC)
RE: Style Questions
Hello! Here are the answers to your questions:
- The second one would be the most appropriate here. It's better to include the 2 types of file numbers (relative to the Volume as well as the whole series such as "743" in this case, etc.) for one simple reason: reader-friendliness (i.e. more useful information in a concise way).
- It's interesting cause I remember we couldn't really use headers before cause it would add the headers to the Table of Contents at the top of the page even though the content is hidden because of the spoiler tags (and this doesn't look too great). That's why it was decided at the time to use bullets instead. But, I just tried right now and it seems that whatever header we include within the spoiler tags don't seem to appear in the Table of Contents anymore (must have been due to an update made at some point). So yes, I think it would be nicer to use sub-headers in this case. If it works out well, we'll have to update the MoS accordingly.
- Blank backgrounds should be used for 60px and 100px images of character listed on the Characters page. The 225px one is usually for one-time occurring characters from cases or other situations. So, on the Notable Case and Minor Recurring characters pages, go for 100px and it's not necessary to go with a blank background.
- If the episode exists, link to it instead because the episode is made in a way that it gathers a set of corresponding manga files together in an organized fashion. The episode page itself will then mention the manga source. The other advantage is that episodes also include TV originals that cannot be found in manga files of course. Therefore, it's the "superset" of events and it'll even be possible to link to events referring to TV originals. Finally, an episode name usually refers to one single case and very nicely describes the context of the case in one brief sentence. People can deduce in an instead what case the episode is referring to just by the name (and thus where the event is from). It's true that files also have names but they're usually very specific and not as memorable and they only refer to a small part of a case and thus are harder to place within their rightful contexts (unless they're famous File names). Once again, we aim for user-/reader-friendliness.
- By illustration, I'm guessing you're talking about screenshots highlighting parts of a plot summary on a Volume article? I believe a manga screenshot would be best in this case cause it better reflects the "manga" look and feel of the page's context. As mentioned above, one of our main goals in this wiki is to be as reader-friendly as possible and avoid confusion. There are all kind of readers from all ages and if a user is reading a manga-related article, he/she could be confused if he/she sees an anime screenshot (and ask him/herself question). I also believe it's just more accurate to have manga-related images on manga-related articles. The only exception is for character pictures of course (which don't describe events).
Feedback on List Format
Just wanted to say thank you for your hard work on the minor character list! The new format looks much much better! :) --Skyechan 02:31, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
- They're both one-time only characters. Generic and Arrack appear in Special Volume 26. --Skyechan 11:24, 9 December 2011 (UTC)
Re: DC Covers
Only order I came up with was making sure all the Chinese ones were right next to one another, European covers are next to eachother, and Asia in general is kept together. The other thought in my head is that since Chinese is one of the main languages of the world their covers would go right after the European ones.--Skyechan 14:50, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
- Maybe just "Rep. of China"; if people don't realize it's Taiwan they can always figure it out via Google. *laugh* --Skyechan 21:38, 26 December 2011 (UTC)
Re: Manga "People" equivalent
Hmm, why not use the same people's template and make pictures of 100x100 (instead of the usual 225x225)? The thing is that 100x100 is the perfect 1:1 size ratio without any resizing being done on display. Right now, you have 90x90 images but I'm sure it should be possible to do 100x100 images out of the manga pages. Even if they're smaller, they'll only be resized a little bit to 100x100 and it doesn't look too bad either. Just check what I did for Volume 1. It works quite well I think. The cool thing is that you can give more details about those people plus it's "standard" since it looks like what we have for anime pages. The only thing is that we should follow the same rules set by the MoS: if using a generic name such as "Friend manga.jpg", add a File prefix to be more accurate and avoid future conflicts with other generic names. In this case, it should be called "F001 Friend manga.jpg" instead. Thank you! Oh and Merry Xmas and Happy New Year! :) --Maurice talk 16:05, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
- On a side note, I should've pointed it out to you sooner! ^^; When I do the Heist Boxes for Kid heists I simply rename one image as being the anime version. (i.e. Angel Crown anime.jpg) We also used the same People template on the live action series, so this template would work best for the manga as well. :) --Skyechan 17:16, 28 December 2011 (UTC)
- As long as they're "square" and at least 100x100, I'm ok with having bigger sizes (as per MoS). Since there are only a few, it would be great if you could re-upload the few ones you had at 90x90. Thank you! --Maurice talk 14:49, 29 December 2011 (UTC)
What's your forum name? Because I want to add you as a friend and maybe you can help me correct my grammar on my summaries for editing. It seems you're really good at making sentences sounds perfect and right. --S261157 12:38, 14 February 2013 (UTC)
- Oh, well okay. Then can I have your email address? Here's my email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
S261157 or Ghostbot
Moderator here, if you received a message from S261157 or Ghostbot telling you not to edit certain sections of the wiki or to only edit sections in certain ways, please disregard him. He is a troublesome user who insists on doing things his way even if it means telling other people not to edit certain sections he likes to edit. If you have any questions about the official style or way to edit certain sections, please consult the official manual of style. Thanks, and I hope you have a great time at DCW. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 21:36, 16 February 2013 (PST)
- Oops, you've been around for a while and know how things go. Sorry, Ocianne, I was doing some damage control. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 21:38, 16 February 2013 (PST)
Just a little appreciation
I wanted to let you know I really appreciate that you take the time to sort out contributors' awkward grammar and sentence structures. It's not easy, and you do a great job vetting for content while trimming the fat so to speak. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 18:00, 22 February 2013 (PST)
About Yumi's rank
In the Police Organization article, you said that Yumi is Rank 9 (Junsa 巡査) but I think that she's actually Rank 7 (Keibu-ho 警部補) because Naeko called her "Assistant Inspector" (警部補) in file 847, page 2. Perhaps that is why her uniform badge only has one bar, since I noticed that both ranks' badges look pretty much the same when drawn without colors in the manga. Well, I'll just let you know though because I'm not 100% sure and I understand basically nothing about this whole police ranking system thing... XDD;;; --- BLACK DEMON | Reply 06:41, 1 April 2013 (PDT)
Those color pictures...
I gotta know, where did you get color pages for volume 18? Did you scan one of your books or a calender? I've been trying to collect all the color pages for a while now since black and white only is the main volume format that I have seen. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 23:01, 2 August 2013 (PDT)
- Then I will send you the ones I have too. I'll give you a link later. Chekhov MacGuffin talk 16:36, 3 August 2013 (PDT)
Thanks for uploading new versions of those pictures
- It was on my planned list to do anyway, but I appreciate the thanks. ^^ Ocianne (talk) 20:04, 18 August 2013 (PDT)
As far as I now about the extra u, yes I think you are right. The "exceptions" seem to be new episodes/manga and new characters (all of this being informal and something I don't feel strongly about in the case of generic 1 case suspects). Chekhov MacGuffin talk 18:48, 24 August 2013 (PDT)
Just made minor edit
Hello Ocianne, I'm so glad that you liked my editing. Thank you. However, I undid two changes you made: "any questions" and "A police inspector". The first one is actually wrong grammatically. We don't use "any" with plural nouns unless it is in a negative sentence or question. You can check that yourself . The second is also wrong because "a" is an indefinite article. The police inspector is definite in this case because we mentioned who is that inspector: Nakamori. Of course I appreciate your editing for clearing the mistakes. It just that those two are wrong. Thank you again :)) Calia Archer: talk 12:22, 10 September 2013
ED 01 Images on OP 1 Page
Detective Conan in the Arab World
- The IP has the right of it -- several were my best guesses and I hadn't updated since Movie 13; Uno Tadayoshi's existence in Movie 14 clarified Odagiri's rank and the other changes made. Thanks for the head's up so I could cross-check and clean up a little. Do you think a gallery showing the characters with their rank badges (when possible) would be appropriate for this page? I have a screenshot of Uno and nowhere to put it. Ocianne (talk) 22:17, 6 April 2014 (CEST)