Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

English Language Thread

I have a question. Can anyone give me an example of run on sentence? And how would you edit with proper grammar?

A run on sentence would be like this:

He was very tired and upset and worried but could not bear with himself to care for another person or help them out.

I think?

i'm quite sure she meant run-on sentence...

Actually I don't believe the above is a run-on sentence. Here is my example:

John loves rebecca he is madly in love.

It's missing the proper punctuation. There are two different ideas incorrectly combined.

The correct way to write this would be:

John loves Rebecca. He is madly in love.

It's usually best to break the sentences down into two simpler sentences. Sure it's really simple and basic, but it's also the proper way to do it.

ah, now I know how to identify. thank you Kiel! :)

no problem :D

Thankfully I'm not a complete dummy when it comes to English (although I must say that it's not my best subject even if it is my first language xD)

044.gif Did you know that every singular verb needs an S at the end? For example: Hatsu-chan loves to eat

I've seen someone (I think it was HalfAngel.) who edited this already. They stated that the correct phrase would be "an S", but they didn't explain why. I decided to help explain that ^ ^.

When the beginning sound of a word has the same sound that a vowel makes then you must write "an" before it; instead of "a".

The letter "S" has the beginning sound of "eh". Which is the same sound that the vowel "e" makes when you pronounce it. Therefore, since the letter "S" has the same beginning sound of a vowel it is more proper to write "an S" than "a S".

Other examples of this rule would be:

"The two girls bought a puppy." <-- The word "puppy" doesn't have a beginning sound that sounds the same as a vowel.

"Tommy found an apple in his backyard." <-- The beginning sound of "apple" has the same sound as the vowel "a".

I hope this information was helpful to those of you learning English. :D

Also, I just wanted to let you know that English is the only language I speak. Thus, I am very fluent in it. (xD If I wasn't fluent then that would be sad.)

With this said, if any of you have any questions involving English feel free to ask me! ;)

Edit:

the English vowels by the way are: a, e, i, o, u

• Upvote 1

I've seen someone (I think it was HalfAngel.) who edited this already. They stated that the correct phrase would be "an S", but they didn't explain why. I decided to help explain that ^ ^.

When the beginning sound of a word has the same sound that a vowel makes then you must write "an" before it; instead of "a".

The letter "S" has the beginning sound of "eh". Which is the same sound that the vowel "e" makes when you pronounce it. Therefore, since the letter "S" has the same beginning sound of a vowel it is more proper to write "an S" than "a S".

"The two girls bought a puppy." <-- The word "puppy" doesn't have a beginning sound that sounds the same as a vowel.

"Tommy found an apple in his backyard." <-- The beginning sound of "apple" has the same sound as the vowel "a".

Also, I just wanted to let you know that English is the only language I speak. Thus, I am very fluent in it. (xD If I wasn't fluent then that would be sad.)

With this said, if any of you have any questions involving English feel free to ask me! ;)

Edit:

Even though English is my first language, I still don't get it! Which verb do you put a 'S' at the end? In my knowing, Verbs that have a singular pronoun in front of it have a 'S'. But what does that have to do with vowels and pronunciation!

For some reason, I can't explain why all the grammar and stuff needs to be there, however, I know it all (or most of it). :mellow:

Edit:

For the apple example, it isn't exactly an accurate explanation on the sounds. "Tommy found an orange in his backyard." works. Even though the beginning sound of "orange" is different from "a", the "n" is needed. This is how my teacher used to explain it.

"Vowels don't like each other. In fact, they don't like each other at all. That's why we place an 'n' in between them to keep them separate."

Thus, whenever you have 'a' and something that starts with a vowel in the front, you must put a 'n' in front of it. (Man, I was tempted to write "an 'n'".

Yea me too!!!! Sometimes I'm still confused by the singular and plural terms. Is everyone, anyone, someone, nobody, singular or plural when it is used in a question or statement. Usually I use singular but it feels weird. :/

For singular and plural, it always depends on the situation. What case would you be talking about?

Like let's say,

"if someone happen(s) to remember, please remind me..."

Or

"if someone go(es) there, please tell me..."

Note: I am NOT a grammar teacher. In fact, I rather fail at explaining grammar even though I can do it. :V

You can't give an accurate summary of it. It depends on which one sounds more smooth. Say it out loud if that helps you hear the difference. But next time, call them plural verbs as that would make more sense and be easier to decipher.

Someone/Everyone/Anyone/Nobody are a little tougher to decipher than most normal words. Usually if there is more than one subject, you would use a plural verb (and this may confuse you) that DOES NOT in fact include "s".

Example:

"He talks on the phone." (singular)

"They talk on the phone." (plural)

See: http: //data.grammarbook.com/blog/verbs/when-to-add-s-to-a-verb/ (get rid of space between http: and //)

But that isn't the main question.

The problem is, there are differences. Like:

"Everyone stands up when the teacher comes in."

VS.

"Everyone should stand up when the teacher comes in."

This ties in with present and past tense, which affects how you would write things. By statements and questions, do you mean in conversation or in, say, writing? They have differences.

Note: I am NOT a grammar teacher. In fact, I rather fail at explaining grammar even though I can do it. :V

You can't give an accurate summary of it. It depends on which one sounds more smooth. Say it out loud if that helps you hear the difference. But next time, call them plural verbs as that would make more sense and be easier to decipher.

Someone/Everyone/Anyone/Nobody are a little tougher to decipher than most normal words. Usually if there is more than one subject, you would use a plural verb (and this may confuse you) that DOES NOT in fact include "s".

Example:

"He talks on the phone." (singular)

"They talk on the phone." (plural)

See: http: //data.grammarbook.com/blog/verbs/when-to-add-s-to-a-verb/ (get rid of space between http: and //)

But that isn't the main question.

The problem is, there are differences. Like:

"Everyone stands up when the teacher comes in."

VS.

"Everyone should stand up when the teacher comes in."

This ties in with present and past tense, which affects how you would write things. By statements and questions, do you mean in conversation or in, say, writing? They have differences.

There are differences between conversation and writing too?! DX I think I fail English miserably...

When I mean question, I meant if we use will, shall, might, when... Etc.

But i just realized from your explanation that the plural or singular is much more affected by the tenses instead.. :o

For the apple example, it isn't exactly an accurate explanation on the sounds. "Tommy found an orange in his backyard." works. Even though the beginning sound of "orange" is different from "a", the "n" is needed. This is how my teacher used to explain it.

"Vowels don't like each other. In fact, they don't like each other at all. That's why we place an 'n' in between them to keep them separate."

Thus, whenever you have 'a' and something that starts with a vowel in the front, you must put a 'n' in front of it. (Man, I was tempted to write "an 'n'".

It's not about what letter the word begins with. You use 'a' when the word begins with a consonant sound and 'an' when there is a vowel sound.

Eg.

A leaf (pronounced leef)

The beginning of the word 'leaf' is pronounced with an 'L' sound.

An owl (pronounced owl)

'Owl' is pronounced the same way as it looks, with a vowel sound at the beginning.

An hour (pronounced 'owa)

'Hour' begins with a consonant, but is pronounced with an 'o' sound at the beginning.

A unicorn (pronounced yu-ne-cawn)

The word 'unicorn' begins with a vowel, but it's pronounced with a 'y' sound.

An 'x'

The letter 'x' is a consonant, but is pronounced as 'ex', with a vowel sound at the beginning.

• Upvote 1

It's not about what letter the word begins with. You use 'a' when the word begins with a consonant sound and 'an' when there is a vowel sound.

Eg.

A leaf (pronounced leef)

The beginning of the word 'leaf' is pronounced with an 'L' sound.

An owl (pronounced owl)

'Owl' is pronounced the same way as it looks, with a vowel sound at the beginning.

An hour (pronounced 'owa)

'Hour' begins with a consonant, but is pronounced with an 'o' sound at the beginning.

A unicorn (pronounced yu-ne-cawn)

The word 'unicorn' begins with a vowel, but it's pronounced with a 'y' sound.

An 'x'

The letter 'x' is a consonant, but is pronounced as 'ex', with a vowel sound at the beginning.

Alright, thanks for correcting me. To tell the truth, this thing has been plaguing me for a while...this clear it up. Thanks!

This is to hard for me ...

Why does english needs to be my 3rd language.

But I will try to make my english better.

As for me, English is my second language.. And I'm improving of dcw...

I'm trying as well.

Second probably means the second language you learn which you probably know very well.

Example

You live in US you are german, probably German would be your first while 2nd would be english . which means if you are not american/english/irish/etc. only you would automatic have a 2nd language.

while 3rd are most of the time extra languages like spanish/french or other languages you learn at school.

Second probably means the second language you learn which you probably know very well.

Example

You live in US you are german, probably German would be your first while 2nd would be english . which means if you are not american/english/irish/etc. only you would automatic have a 2nd language.

while 3rd are most of the time extra languages like spanish/french or other languages you learn at school.

I see. But I don't live In US.

It's just that being fluent in English is too important for me.