Detective Conan World

Rum  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Rum's identity? (Please Revote!)

• New character not yet introduced (male)
    • New character not yet introduced (female)
    • A known character who has appeared in the manga who is not one of the names listed below. (explain in comments please)
    • Kansuke Yamato
    • Taka'aki Morofushi (Koumei)
    • Hyoue Kuroda
    • Kiyonaga Matsumoto
    • Shuukichi Haneda
    • Chikara Katsumata (Shogi Player)
    • Mary
    • Sakurako Yonehara
    • Kohji Haneda
    • Asaka (Bodyguard from the past)
    • Wakasa Rumi
    • Muga Iori / "Wada Shinichi" (Momiji's butler)
    • Kanenori Wakita
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
  2. 2. Rum's objective?

• Find Sherry (and kill her if necessary)
    • Hunt down the spies within the BO (and kill them if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Shinichi/Conan (and kill him if necessary)
    • Hunt down Akai/Subaru (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Masumi's second brother (and kill him if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt Mary (and kill her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill the person posting info about the Haneda Kohji case (and kill him/her if necessary)
    • Investigate/hunt/kill someone else (please explain)
    • Infiltrate the Japanese police (or other law enforcement)
    • Rum is a double-agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the BO
    • Try to overthrow/kill the Boss and become the leader him/herself
    • Try to overthrow/kill another non-undercover BO member
    • Other (please explain)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)
    • (reserved)

"Redrum" is "Murder" in reverse.

"Akai" means "Red" (Shuichi Akai's name comes partially from "Akai Suisei", the "Red Comet", the nickname of Char Aznable in Mobile Suit Gundam and Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin). Rum is the name of the new BO operative. "Redrum" is a cliche in detective fiction, sometimes as an alias used by an unknown murderer.

Ok thanks! (a bit too informative but still appreciated :P)

Anybody thinks RUM might be a LGBT character? I don't believe we've had one yet but RUM might be the first one. Especially with respect to the latest manga file, it makes me think so.

Anybody thinks RUM might be a LGBT character? I don't believe we've had one yet but RUM might be the first one. Especially with respect to the latest manga file, it makes me think so.

technically there was a transgender character in the case that introduced Fusae Campbell. The character was used as a joke at Agasa's expense. 

basically the character used to be a boy, when Agasa was a kid, but now was a girl and at the zoo meeting a boyfriend. 

9xXZKXT.jpg

technically there was a transgender character in the case that introduced Fusae Campbell. The character was used as a joke at Agasa's expense. 

basically the character used to be a boy, when Agasa was a kid, but now was a girl and at the zoo meeting a boyfriend. 

9xXZKXT.jpg

Oh yeah, I remember.

Gosho is a genius. 

Actually everything u are searching for is pretty much combined in 1 chapter - ofc well disguised by Gosho.

And actually some of u are right: Rums target is actually Mary/MG/Mom.

mfg

Isn't it better if RUM's target is shuukichi haneda if he want to correct the mistake that he did 17 years ago

Well chuukichi have same family name and he is a shogi player too rather than two people that had been involved recently.

Shukichi doesn't seem to know anything and when Kouji was killed, he wasn't a member of the family yet. Why would killing anyone who doesn't know anything about the crime back then achieve anything?

Important thing to notice is that Mary is in the same age as Conan/AI.

Guess that means, she just recently took APTX, similar to Conan/Ai.

If Mary would´ve taken the APTX 17 years ago i highly doubt she would be still this young/small. 

So - considering Mary is an adult/teenager (as Shinichi) - why did she recently took the APTX ? 
Or was it given to her? By Rum?
Did Rum notice his mistake and the effect of ATPX and want to clear out the situation right now?

Another interesting fact is , that Gosho dont seem to care about adam´s apples.

mfg

Important thing to notice is that Mary is in the same age as Conan/AI.

Guess that means, she just recently took APTX, similar to Conan/Ai.

If Mary would´ve taken the APTX 17 years ago i highly doubt she would be still this young/small. 

So - considering Mary is an adult/teenager (as Shinichi) - why did she recently took the APTX ? 

Or was it given to her? By Rum?

Did Rum notice his mistake and the effect of ATPX and want to clear out the situation right now?

Another interesting fact is , that Gosho dont seem to care about adam´s apples.

mfg

Mary isn't the same age as Conan or Ai, she's a few years older than them in the current state. It is also possible that she was given a prototype version, or even a more developed version of APTX 4869 due to which, it isn't necessary that she shrunk the same amount of years as Shinichi did. Hence, I don't believe it is possible to figure out her real age right now, assuming she really is a victim of APTX 4869.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%27s_apple

I noticed that Vermouth´s Araide-mask wasnt covering the neck but only her face. 
Means that Conan shouldve noticed the missing Adams apple. 
Same with Sera - nobody is noticing that she doesnt have an adams apple. 

Means that Gosho either doesnt care about it or simply wants to keep the "gender guessing game" open.

By that i want to say, that its still possible that some person we already know actually has another gender then we think.

__

Mary: I would love to see that she was actually involved within the murder 17 years ago (obviously not as Rum / shes not Rum). Then the whole picture wouldve 

become clearer and clearer.

E: Aaah , now i understood what u meant by "Shes older than Conan". Well i agree, that seems quite obvious. But what i meant was :
Is she - in her current state - older than Conan? Conan has the body of a 7-9 (?) year old. Mary´s body seems to be around that age too.

Anyways , my point is: Is it possible, that she took APTX 17 years ago during the known incident? Seems unlikely...

Is she - in her current state - older than Conan? Conan has the body of a 7-9 (?) year old. Mary´s body seems to be around that age too.

Conan and Ai have the bodies of 6-7 year olds and while Mary only looks slightly taller than Conan (except for that last scene in 953 where she suddenly is almost as tall as Masumi, probably a drawing error), Conan describes her as "middle school aged" multiple times (12-15 year old).

Question remains : When and why did she took APTX ? Or was it given to her. 
Maybe its time to take a look again on the  APTX-List...

I believe we need more clues to figure that out.

Unless Mary was listed under an alias, no name matches hers on the APTX list. All the visible names are listed on the wiki under List of Black Organization related characters.

About RUM's appearance-

Many of us have read and reread this series and yet have failed to prove RUM's identity (Gosho stated that he appeared, assuming manga not non canon). So Is it possible that RUM has been introduced as a really minor background character (with hardly any lines probably relating to eyes, rum, ) OR in some sort of disguise like Araide? (Yes I know vermouth was introduced before that, just speculating). I wonder if any character was OOC(like sudden strength, strong persona, smartness, interest in historical events known) ?! :huh: Also there was a recent case of scattered witness, which seems to be applicable to RUM's varied descriptions. So maybe RUM actually is a long haired/lean/or actually a woman, very strong and kinda talks like old people/is old/really smart

About his mission - 

Also, Shu asked sonoka and ran if they had seen anyone going by asaca and very strong - wouldnt that be mary (that sister from another domain). I'm not saying asaca here is rum, just speculating and exploring other options. kohji haneda could have meant anything. ASACA could be this sister sera has and maybe she had to talk or was given that drug? She's strong enough to be a bodyguard assuming she is in the same boat as shiho/haibara and shinichi/conan. And maybe she is being pursued by RUM, who wants to finish off his leftover business from 17 years. But then again ASACA was black haired, in the photo atleast.-_-
Sera and mary talk about some plan and involving conan/shinichi:ph34r: maybe they are being pursued by RUM.
Haibara introduced as target of vermouth and other BO members. So maybe sera and mary situation is similar. :wacko:

PS: (another thought)

His mission could also be to investigate mouri kogorou or some other BO member itself. And about appearance - also could be some regular or reccurring character - out of the blue (I hope its not) as shinichi is usually right about whom to trust ^_^  :mellow:

-These are just speculations as I mentioned. :blush:  B)

About his mission - 

Also, Shu asked sonoka and ran if they had seen anyone going by asaca and very strong - wouldnt that be mary (that sister from another domain). I'm not saying asaca here is rum, just speculating and exploring other options. kohji haneda could have meant anything. ASACA could be this sister sera has and maybe she had to talk or was given that drug? She's strong enough to be a bodyguard assuming she is in the same boat as shiho/haibara and shinichi/conan. And maybe she is being pursued by RUM, who wants to finish off his leftover business from 17 years. But then again ASACA was black haired, in the photo atleast. -_-

Sera and mary talk about some plan and involving conan/shinichi:ph34r: maybe they are being pursued by RUM.

Haibara introduced as target of vermouth and other BO members. So maybe sera and mary situation is similar. :wacko:

This actually makes sense  :o 

I believe it is a strong theory and that Mary COULD actually be ASACA and that RUM is after her. She may have been infiltrating the organization (I do believe that we don't need more spies though) 17 years ago and was given the job to kill Amanda Hughes, which she did. Then she probably tried to escape, and at some point, took APTX 4869 and shrunk. Now she is trying to hide from RUM by shifting hotels with Sera regularly.

As for the photo, it is quite unclear and we really can't make out much from it. However, it is possible that Mary cut her hair short, and bleached them to change her look.

Sera and Mary are probably considering taking Conan's help right now.

This may not be exactly related to the topic, but I just came up with this theory. If a topic on this exists, please guide me to it.

As we got to see the similarities between Haibara and Mary in a recent file (Conan's thoughts). Not so recent I guess, :P but it makes me think that maybe Mary is the sister of Elena Miyano. That would make her and Haibara relatives, which would explain why Haibara looks like Mary. That would also mean that Akai is related to the Miyano family by blood and that he was dating his own cousin when he infiltrated the organization as Rye. Sounds a bit weird but it is a possible theory. That would also go well with my previous reply (above) where Mary might have infiltrated the organization 17 years ago. She may have done this to rescue her sister, and her family. Though this theory isn't very strong at the moment, I hope the new chapters have enough development to provide us with more clues.

• Upvote 1

About RUM's appearance-

Many of us have read and reread this series and yet have failed to prove RUM's identity (Gosho stated that he appeared, assuming manga not non canon). So Is it possible that RUM has been introduced as a really minor background character (with hardly any lines probably relating to eyes, rum, ) OR in some sort of disguise like Araide? (Yes I know vermouth was introduced before that, just speculating). I wonder if any character was OOC(like sudden strength, strong persona, smartness, interest in historical events known) ?! :huh: Also there was a recent case of scattered witness, which seems to be applicable to RUM's varied descriptions. So maybe RUM actually is a long haired/lean/or actually a woman, very strong and kinda talks like old people/is old/really smart

There was a case, quite early in the series where Conan and the Detective Boys went to explore a haunted house. I remember a lean woman with long and white hair in that. The case where the mother was holding her son in the basement as he had murdered his father.

Though this probably has nothing to do with RUM, you description did remind me of her.

I think some of u are actually right..

About Rums identity ...

Scroll a little bit downwards, im too lazy to post it here again

http://dcdp.de/index.php/Thread/23-Rum/?postID=9197#post9197

About her mission

I absolutely agree with Bhavneet. Mary is/was ASACA. She´s the only witness and surviver of Rum´s doing. 

We dont know if she saw Rum in particular and is able to identify her/him, but its clear that Mary is

scared and hiding for some reason and this reason probably is Rum. I´m actually doubtful about Mary being the Akai-Mom.
It would be a strange way to reveal it to the reader. Its still room for an interpretation where only Mary´s Codename or sth. being MOM. 

Some hints ...

1. In any chapter Yonehara is in, there are TONS of one-eye innuendos. 
Might be a coincidence, but its getting obvious. Lets wait for the next chapter to be sure.

2. Gosho foreshadowed that he would be cheating in some way about Rum (teacup-trick).

I believe its obvious that he cheats about Rums look. Instead Gosho made clear that everybody

is sure about the one-eye-fact. And i doubt we should be falling for the red herrings (Kansuke, Kuroda)

but instead try to look for some .. yeah innuendos. (see 1.)

3. When Yonehara was introduced, her first appearing chapter was called "EYE". 
The whole story contained a cake called "Baumkuchen". 
And now u can guess which alcohol Baumkuchen mostly contains.. 

There are some other hints, like the scene where Conan/Heiji/Yonehara and Yui/Kan/Moro

are investigating the bathroom at the same time.

Parallelism guys.. 2 rooms, 3 people, 5 eyes  ;)

4. And now u can guess too, whos changing places as often as Sera. 
In her second appearence she was a flat after Haneda. Afterwards she´s in another hotel.

Lets wait for her next appearence.

5. Gosho intentionally left Sera at home when there might´ve been a meeting between

Sera/Yonehara (781/p 9). Otherwise there wouldve been fireworks.

Interesting infos

Satake Yoshimi stated in 784/p14 that Yoneharas

mother was also a single mother and also worked as a housekeeper for them. 

But on the other hand Mikee states in 847/848 that Yonehara was from her "neighbour". 
I think its safe to say, that we might as well translate this as "in her neighbourhood". 
(But maybe some expert can prove this).

Also her mother died from an illness (whats suspicious enough)

What does that mean?
It means that it seems like Yonehara was living with her mother in a flat (which is not (!) the house 

in the eye-chapters) near Mikee´s house. Then her mother died from an illness and she probably

moved to the eye-chapter-house (still need to reread it again).

Mother doing in strange circumstances... being replaced by the daughter.. sounds a bit like Vermouth.

__

Flashback by Mikee.

Its still possible that Rum herself took APTX and was able to appear this way in the flashback. 

We know that 17 years ago AIs parents were about to made silver bullet. So that what Rum might´ve taken back then.

Rums Gender
Is Yonehara a guy? A lot of people were speculating about Rum being a guy, because of Rum

as an alcohol (u know what i mean).

Gosho proved us that he dont care about Adams apples (explained above at the page) and 

is able to bring on charakters which gender is often mistaken (Sera). If u argue that we are able to see her 

boob-"shapes" , then look here : Removed link to manga aggregator website

Gosho was able to draw HIM with boobs too, so its still possible, that Yonehara is a guy.

All in all, this is what happened:

Mary is ASACA and Amanda Hughes bodyguard.

Amanda visited Kohji earlier that day (Amanda had contacts to FBI/CIA (!) 948/4 ), probably to exchange information.

Rums target was to interrupt the exchange. 
Rum successfully killed Amanda/Kohji with the Drug (cause of death is unknown ->APTX), but Mary/ASACA survived .. as a child.

Rum screwed up the job according to Gin. Mary was able to flee and Kohjis room was a mess. 
So as a punishment Rum was forced to become a housekeeper  :rolleyes:  (kidding)

After Rum screwed up Kuroda (PSB-Chef) was rushing into the scene. Rum saw no other escape than taking APTX on her own.

-> she shrunk and was able to escape and appear in Mikee´s Flashback.

Now she realized that Mary/Asaca is still alive and is hunting for her. Investigating in Kohjis background ( -> shogi - >haneda (2nd appearence)

and looking for her in hotels (3rd appearence).

Removed link to manga aggregator website. No links to those please.

Mary is ASACA and Amanda Hughes bodyguard.

Amanda visited Kohji earlier that day (Amanda had contacts to FBI/CIA (!) 948/4 ), probably to exchange information.

Rums target was to interrupt the exchange. 

Rum successfully killed Amanda/Kohji with the Drug (cause of death is unknown ->APTX), but Mary/ASACA survived .. as a child.

Rum screwed up the job according to Gin. Mary was able to flee and Kohjis room was a mess. 

So as a punishment Rum was forced to become a housekeeper  :rolleyes:  (kidding)

After Rum screwed up Kuroda (PSB-Chef) was rushing into the scene. Rum saw no other escape than taking APTX on her own.

-> she shrunk and was able to escape and appear in Mikee´s Flashback.

Now she realized that Mary/Asaca is still alive and is hunting for her. Investigating in Kohjis background ( -> shogi - >haneda (2nd appearence)

and looking for her in hotels (3rd appearence).

I think this sequence of events makes a lot of sense and explains a great deal of things, as Mary being Asaca would also explain why Shuichi said that this case is the reason he joined the FBI, and that his father was involved despite not being an FBI member. But something that should be noted is that, since Mary is almost confirmed to be Sera's mom, does that mean that Mary took part in this incident shortly after giving birth to Sera? (this was pointed out to me before) Also, if Mary (Asaca) is Shuichi's mother, then how could the BO miss such an important piece of information and allow Shuichi to join, perhaps they don't know about Asaca's identity?

I have to correct myself:

Since Rum wouldnt know the shrink-effect of APTX he obviously saw no other option than to (try) to kill herself.

(Calvados did kill himself to after having no option of escaping).

Afterwards Rum realized that not only she was shrunk, but Mary (whose corpse couldnt been found).
So Rum knows Mary probably is in a child-state right now and search for her.

Thats why Rum/Yonehara was so curious about Conan acting like an adult back in the eye-case. 
Because she already back then had a feeling Conan is another APTX-victim. 

Another speculation

Indeed i think Sera was born shortly before. Since shes with Ran in a class shes probably around 16-18
(http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Masumi_Sera says that too). And guess what, the incident

happened 17 years ago. So it would match.

Its possible that Kohji actually is Mr. Akai (and obviously now dead). 
The big hint here might be that Haneda followed the same passion (shogi , even though its just for deception) 

as his father (Kohji). But still .. speculation

I have to correct myself:

Since Rum wouldnt know the shrink-effect of APTX he obviously saw no other option than to (try) to kill herself.

(Calvados did kill himself to after having no option of escaping).

Afterwards Rum realized that not only she was shrunk, but Mary (whose corpse couldnt been found).

So Rum knows Mary probably is in a child-state right now and search for her.

Thats why Rum/Yonehara was so curious about Conan acting like an adult back in the eye-case. 

Because she already back then had a feeling Conan is another APTX-victim. 

Another speculation

Indeed i think Sera was born shortly before. Since shes with Ran in a class shes probably around 16-18

(http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Masumi_Sera says that too). And guess what, the incident

happened 17 years ago. So it would match.

Its possible that Kohji actually is Mr. Akai (and obviously now dead). 

The big hint here might be that Haneda followed the same passion (shogi , even though its just for deception) 

as his father (Kohji). But still .. speculation

I do believe that Hyoue Kuroda has some part to play in the RUM arc with relation to Mary ,or the Akai family, or the incident 17 years ago.

4. And now u can guess too, whos changing places as often as Sera. 

In her second appearence she was a flat after Haneda. Afterwards she´s in another hotel.

Lets wait for her next appearence.

It's highly unlikely that Sakurako is changing places like she is changing her bosses (which is not weird, considering her bosses died everytime). In the EYE case, she has her own flat and is not living in the mansion. Both the Itami and the hotel the blog actress is staying in weren't big enough to also have a seperate room for Sakurako, so she probably simply gets there early in the morning and leaves late in the evening.

KWo8xFy.png

Also, Kuroda was working with the National Police Agency (NPA) and not the Tokyo MPD Public Security Bureau (PSB). His position never made quite clear and 17 years ago (being 33 years old) he wouldn't have been the chef of either of them. Plus, the case happened in America, making it even more unlikely.

About Kuroda:
Your right, i was mistaken. Though theres still some chance he´s involved in the incident 17 years ago.

Guess we simply have to wait for more clues.

About Yone

I dont mean to say she lives there but only wanted to point out her appearence in those places, which is suspicious enough.

I really hope some japanese guys tell us, if Kuroda/Mary/Haneda/Yonehara will appear in movie 20.

If Yonehara happens to appear in it, i think its safe to say she has a bigger role than just being a ordinary housekeeper.