Detective Conan World

Bourbon  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What is Bourbon's identity?

• Okiya Subaru
    • Scar Akai (Note that most votes here are from before Amuro existed.)
    • Sera Masumi
    • Akai Shuuichi (who is reinfiltrating the Org.)
    • A new character (not yet introduced)
    • Someone else
    • Koumei
    • Andre Camel
    • Another known character in disguise
    • Amuro Tooru who is Scar Akai
    • Amuro Tooru who is not scar Akai
  2. 2. What is Bourbon's real assignment? (multiple choice)

• Find and kill Sherry
    • Find and kill Akai
    • Investigate the FBI to make sure Akai is really dead
    • Investigate Conan/Shinichi's true identity and kill him if necessary
    • Infiltrate the FBI
    • Test Kir's loyalty
    • Kill someone else
    • Some other assignment
    • Bourbon is a double agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the Org
    • Bourbon doesn't want to do his assignment for personal reasons (e.g. sympathy)
  3. 3. What is Vermouth's promise with Bourbon? (multiple choice)

• Something not listed below
    • Don't do anything that harms Conan and Ran
    • Watch and/or protect Conan and Ran
    • Don't do anything that harms Haibara
    • Watch and/or protect Haibara
    • Don't do anything that harms someone else
    • Watch and/or protect someone else
    • Capture Sherry/Haibara without harming someone else.
    • Capture or kill Akai without harming someone else.
    • To kill/harm a particular person
    • Obtain some information related to Conan or Haibara
    • Obtain some information related to Sera
    • Obtain some information related to Okiya
    • Bourbon will keep a certain secret.
    • Bourbon will not sidetrack him/herself from his/her main mission
    • To do a side operation that is not part of Bourbon's main mission
    • Don't do anything suspicious in front of Conan or Kogoro

Chekhov McGuffin:

Well, your reasoning could work but, to be perfectly honest, I don't agree with some of your interpretations such as the "Scar Akai gauges the FBI reactions by appearing as Akai" which I personnally think unlikely (even by thinking Scar Akai as Bourbon).

For someone who is supposed to be a detective, it would be a little disappointing if that's really his way to investigate a death (and I really think it would have no sense for the boss to have an agent investigate the death, except if he has reason to think Shuichi could still be alive. I don't think also that Vermouth would explain her hypothetic suspicions to Gin in front of Kir, especially since Kir doesn't know anything about the "detective" just after that).

You have this wrong. The manga is overtly pushing Okiya to be the most suspicious one. If you check the manga sidebars, the manga is busy assuming that Scar Akai is the real Akai and that Okiya wants to do something bad to him. I quote:

700b: “The bomb case begins and Akai and Subaru are also involved! The tension rises in the next issue.”

701b: “Gin has started to work it out!! Will the assassin's bullet reach Akai again...!?”

702b: “Subaru has discovered Akai and wears an unbecoming smile. Could this situation get anymore dangerous?”

703a: “Gin and company are planning to ambush Akai in front of the department store...”

704b: “Is Okiya Subaru also searching for Akai!?”

As for Gin's quote, the alternate (and I believe incorrect) interpretation is that he is referring to Subaru and he let "Akai" go because he's Subaru's target, and because "Akai" caught on that Chianti was there, and bystanders were beginning to notice.

If you think about it a little and ignore all the smirking, dark expressions, and stuff that are designed to trick you on an emotional level, you can see the logic doesn't make sense, but you have to remember the existence of that layer of misleading stuff.

Euh... Someone who is supposed dead and who suddenly reappears with a strange attitude, I don't see how he can't be "suspicious".

Now, I'm not surprised that Aoyama talks about Scar Akai about the real Akai. Up to this point, it would have no sense for him to differentiate them since he doesn't want Scar Akai's identity to be known (and, if in the end it was a trap and Scar Akai is the true one who plays a fake, he couldn't be accused of being dishonest), but in the story he makes it pretty clear that he's not the real deal (I don't think that anyone who read the chapters of the hostages case would think Scar Akai to be the real Akai). And Gin's lines seems to make it clear that he's Bourbon, so it's even more suspicious.

And for the smirking, dark expressions and everything, I didn't even think about them.

I may be wrong, but personally I still think that Scar Akai can't be Bourbon. But we'll see what comes next.

try to think about it like this:

burbon believes that akai is alive (now subaru). He does not only appear around the FBI only to see their reactions but believes that akai is looking after them as well from the BO. In the process he can take some FBI agents out since they ruin their plans in these past months.

That is the situation why he loured jodie outside the store in hopes that gin will order a shot on jodie.

and vermouth coming in time to explain the situation to gin is not a coincidence

In the process he can take some FBI agents out since they ruin their plans in these past months.

I don't think Bourbon would do it for the pleasure. He must be extra-careful and it wouldn't help his investigations to kill FBI agents (it could only complicated them).

and vermouth coming in time to explain the situation to gin is not a coincidence

Whoever Scar Akai is, we all agree on that point. Now, we can't be sure about what she says to him, but I don't think Vermouth would talk about her doubts concerning Akai's death in front of Kir. And I think Kir's reaction after that is strange because, even though she would have heard what Vermouth is saying, she still doesn't know anything about the detective of the organization until Gin says it.

so far only jodie and camel have seen him

and i meant that chianti kills her not him in that point, it would be stupid for him to try that

and yes the true mission of burbon is kept secret from kir cause they dont trust her not even after she, lets say killed akai

so far only jodie and camel have seen him

And he probably wanted Kogoro Mouri or Conan to know it also by giving back the phone to the owner (who could give his description after that) instead of just leaving it on the floor (someone who doesn't care or who wanted to remain discreet would do that).

Well, your reasoning could work but, to be perfectly honest, I don't agree with some of your interpretations such as the "Scar Akai gauges the FBI reactions by appearing as Akai" which I personnally think unlikely (even by thinking Scar Akai as Bourbon).

For someone who is supposed to be a detective, it would be a little disappointing if that's really his way to investigate a death (and I really think it would have no sense for the boss to have an agent investigate the death, except if he has reason to think Shuichi could still be alive.

Bourbon wants to find Akai, but his only lead is that he knows who Akai's friends are. He doesn't know if Akai is in contact with them, or even if they know that Akai is alive. Furthermore Bourbon doesn't have anyone else helping him except Vermouth who can make masks but has otherwise been reigned in by the boss following the ghost ship. Can you think of any other plan that would let Bourbon find Akai other than the one he is using already - appearing in front of the FBI to gauge their reactions? He's already been stalking and spying on the FBI in order to pick good locations to appear. If that worked, Bourbon wouldn't have bothered appearing in front of the FBI. It's not an ideal strategy, but in terms of what Bourbon has to work with, it's the only one he can easily accomplish by himself that has a likelihood of working.

I don't think also that Vermouth would explain her hypothetic suspicions to Gin in front of Kir, especially since Kir doesn't know anything about the "detective" just after that).

Vermouth wasn't explaining her suspicions. She was telling Gin that Bourbon was dressed as Akai and don't shoot him please. Gin already knows about Bourbon's personality; he doesn't believe Akai is dead. Vermouth doesn;t have to explain to Gin why Bourbon is doing this.

Euh... Someone who is supposed dead and who suddenly reappears with a strange attitude, I don't see how he can't be "suspicious".

If he acted like Akai, or still had his memories, or he would speak in front of people who knew him, or used his left hand instead of his right to fire a gun, and didn't run away from the FBI after appearing, then he would be a lot less suspicious.

Now, I'm not surprised that Aoyama talks about Scar Akai about the real Akai. Up to this point, it would have no sense for him to differentiate them since he doesn't want Scar Akai's identity to be known (and, if in the end it was a trap and Scar Akai is the true one who plays a fake, he couldn't be accused of being dishonest), but in the story he makes it pretty clear that he's not the real deal (I don't think that anyone who read the chapters of the hostages case would think Scar Akai to be the real Akai). And Gin's lines seems to make it clear that he's Bourbon, so it's even more suspicious.

I may be wrong, but personally I still think that Scar Akai can't be Bourbon. But we'll see what comes next.

Your above two quotes are like a contradiction. You are looking for something deeper that isn't there. Gosho's cases work out that way; you uncovered the tricks and that's it. Gosho is not one of those authors who piles up layers upon layers of obfuscation to misdirect the reader. Gosho does a trick, you see through it, and the solution is straightforward from there. All the regular cases, the Vermouth arc, and Kir arc were the same way. Sometimes the trick is difficult, but once you have it solved, you've done the main job, and the only thing left is loose ends like motives.

Chapters 700-704

Not a complete theory but several deductions based on these chapters.

Informations about Bourbon

First, something to be very careful about: through the Black Organization, Aoyama gives the reader several clues about Bourbon. These clues are accurate and will likely be an important part in the resolution of the Bourbon arc.

The reader learns two clues:

-Bourbon hates Akai more than Gin does.

-Bourbon is a detective, a modern-day version of Sherlock Holmes.

Even though these clues are accurate, they are likely to be used to mislead the reader during those chapters. The reader sees what Aoyama wants him to see, but the truth is out there.

It's important to note that Conan is the detective of the story and that he has no knowledge of these informations.

Bourbon's appearance

It's important to note that, unlike Vermouth, Bourbon has never made an appearance as himself. That's because Vermouth is a master of disguise and thus knowing her true face won't help the reader to discover who she is during her arc.

Does that mean that Scar Akai, who also wears a mask, isn't Bourbon ? No, that's not proof because on the three suspects, Scar Akai is the only one who clearly wears a mask. If Bourbon shows his "true face", then that would logically mean that Subaru and Masumi are innocents. So, even if Scar Akai is Bourbon, Aoyama can't show his true appearance to the reader.

Conan and Akai

Conan is likely to know that Shuichi is still alive, but does he know what happened to him since the moment he faked his death ?

We have the response during this chapter: Conan doesn't know (which is normal because he's the detective, he isn't supposed to have the answers.

Proof: Conan tries to save Scar Akai from the Black Organization. If Conan knew what happened to Akai, he would have already deduced that Scar Akai is Bourbon. The reader knows that Bourbon doesn't get along with Gin, but Conan doesn't. So, Conan has no reason to think that Bourbon can be killed by his BO comrades.

Despite that, Conan tries to prevent Scar Akai's murder from the BO. So Conan wonders if Scar Akai is not the real one, thus proving that he doesn't know what happened to the real Akai.

Deduction: Conan doesn't know what happened to Akai after his supposed death and he has yet to discover it.

The phone trick

This is maybe the more important element. At the end of the case, it seems like Scar Akai is the one who sent the deductions to Kogoro Mouri. According to the informations we've recently learned about Bourbon, we are naturally led to believe that Scar Akai is a detective and that he's Bourbon.

Still, there are some strange elements:

-The handkerchief.

-The incomplete deductions.

In fact, by combining these two elements, we have the proof that Scar Akai is very unlikely to be the one who sent the mail.

Proof: The handkerchief

At first, it appears that Scar Akai uses the handkerchief to avoid leaving his fingerprints on the cell-phone he uses to send the mail to Mouri. But, by thinking a little more, isn't there something strange here ?

It would be pretty stupid to hold the phone with a handkerchief on one hand to avoid leaving his fingerprints, while he leaves them anyway with the other hand which writes the message. And anyway, it would be pretty uncomfortable and suspicious to write a message on a phone with an handkerchief.

The trick is obvious: to avoid leaving any fingerprints on the "borrowed" phone, the only way is to write the deductions on another cell-phone, sending them on the "borrowed" phone, and then sending them to Mouri from the borrowed phone.

This way, no fingerprints are left behind and the answer call would be sent on the borrowed phone.

Of course, this deduction would imply that Bourbon has his own phone. It would also mean that he would likely have access to the web from his own cell-phone.

Proof: The incomplete deductions

Gin describes Bourbon as a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. So, if Scar Akai is Bourbon, it appears strange that his deductions are incomplete while he is in the exact same position than Conan and Subaru, both of whom have completed their own deductions. Especially if he has his own cell-phone which would likely grants him access to the web.

Also, whether it is Bourbon or not, it's pretty clear that the person who thought that deductions is a great detective. So how comes the deductions are incomplete ?

There is at least one logical explanation: the detective isn't Scar Akai. He isn't even present on the scene. So, he can only think his deductions based on the elements Scar Akai can give him (some infos, a picture taken from the cellphone...). The detective can't have all the infos Conan and Subaru are able to gather by being "on the scene", thus explaining the incomplete deductions.

So, in fact, while it would appear at first that Scar Akai is the detective, it would be in fact another person who sends Scar Akai his own deductions.

By combining these two proofs, I formulate the following deduction.

Deduction: Despite what Aoyama intends us to see and to think, Scar Akai is neither Bourbon or the detective who actually wrote the deductions sent to Mouri at the first place.

The detective

So, who would be the detective ? The only thing I'm sure of is that he's not Subaru.

I can think of two possibilities:

-The detective is Bourbon (whether he is Masumi Sera or not) and Scar Akai is another BO member. If Subaru isn't Bourbon, then he's likely to be Akai.

-The detective is Masumi Sera and she doesn't work for the FBI or the BO. If Scar Akai and Masumi Sera work together, then Subaru is likely to be Bourbon.

As for the true nature of Scar Akai and the true intentions of the three suspects, I'm clueless.

Edit: Oh no ! I've made a mistake. I wanted to post it on the Bourbon topic. :???: Magical mod powers

Well, sorry ! :oops:

• Upvote 1

The trick is obvious: to avoid leaving any fingerprints on the "borrowed" phone, the only way is to write the deductions on another cell-phone, sending them on the "borrowed" phone, and then sending them to Mouri from the borrowed phone.

For clarification, I'll call

The phone S.A (Scar Akai) have = First phone

The phone the random man have = Second phone

The phone Kogoro has = Third phone

I don't really sure how phone message work, but Conan (Or Ran) use the third phone to track back the second phone and success. He could try to do the same and find the first phone. if only

S.A. did not delete message from second phone after he forward it to third phone.

S.A. still have his ringtone work (and for everyone to hear.)

Even if these condition are not met, If FBI or Takagi-on behalf-of-Conan contact phone company they will get hold of information of S.A. phone (which phone send sms to this person phone on this particular time bla bla bla).

Doing as you say required more time, even in exchange he can write his message casually, but if his skill is good he could have put the the phone in his pocket and no one will see, or just enter some toilet or some corner and use the second phone to type. remember the Bomber is not so watchful.

Gin describes Bourbon as a modern-day Sherlock Holmes. So, if Scar Akai is Bourbon, it appears strange that his deductions are incomplete while he is in the exact same position than Conan and Subaru, both of whom have completed their own deductions. Especially if he has his own cell-phone which would likely grants him access to the web.

It is more convenient to decide S.A. don't have a phone and consequencly don't have access to internet. Why? Gosho want this guy to be think as Akai and have Conan and "Boubon" Okiya outsmart him to keep "Okiya is Bourbon" front intact.

Conan tries to save Scar Akai from the Black Organization

Chek point out that he can't be sure at the time. And in my opinion, Conan saved a man who try to kill his most important person in the world and is a known serial killer. Saving "Bourbon" who could have been real Akai or some look-alike is not a big deal.

Who say Bourbon is that modern-day Sherlock Holmes anyway? (Just Kir say Bourbon's good at deduction and that's) in the car at the department store, he could have talking about Akai or not-yet-known Chibi tantei who manage to slip Akai under his fingers.

BTW. I did not really think said Sherlock Holmes is not Akai. Just want to open some discusssion.

And forgive me if he actually said that and I remember wrong.

And having Bourbon work with Scar Akai? why complicate things? S.A. is not Akai but he's still a bad person and work for Bourbon but is not Bourbon. What kind of twist do we get?

It's important to note that Conan is the detective of the story and that he has no knowledge of these informations.

Gosho regularly gives out freebee clues that help solve the arc that Conan doesn't know. One of the strongest clues happened in the Vermouth arc where we had Jodie's pictures of Vermouth's pictures and the pictures in Vermouth's office. We saw Vermouth was Chris Vineyard and thus an actress at the end of the Haido City Hotel case, but Conan didn't get to figure that out until much later. Also Akai and James were in league with one another which we found out in the Vermouth arc, but Conan didn't find out until the start of the Kir arc until they told him the answer. Another reader only hint was Kir's hesitation right before she directs Domon to the bench where he will be assassinated, showing that she has second thoughts about what she is doing. There are also lots of scenes of the Black Org which tell us what they are doing, but Conan doesn't know (Gin looking for someone in Sherry's intro case, Vermouth finding Kir was at a hospital, etc.)

Bourbon's appearance

It's important to note that, unlike Vermouth, Bourbon has never made an appearance as himself. That's because Vermouth is a master of disguise and thus knowing her true face won't help the reader to discover who she is during her arc.

Does that mean that Scar Akai, who also wears a mask, isn't Bourbon ? No, that's not proof because on the three suspects, Scar Akai is the only one who clearly wears a mask. If Bourbon shows his "true face", then that would logically mean that Subaru and Masumi are innocents. So, even if Scar Akai is Bourbon, Aoyama can't show his true appearance to the reader.

And Bourbon could be disguising as well, with Vermouth's help. Also your second paragraph makes the rest of the point I was going to make.

Conan and Akai

Conan is likely to know that Shuichi is still alive, but does he know what happened to him since the moment he faked his death ?

Read here. Yes, Conan probably has a pretty good idea of how it went down at Raiha pass, even though we wasn't there because he would have been around for the planning. Remember Kir's quote to Gin.

"Tricks? What kind of tricks could I use? ...(skip monologue here)... There's no means of utilizing any sort of trick. That is, unless you're implying he or I had superhuman brainpower that allowed us to calculate that far ahead... maybe then we could have tricked you. Yes, like that of Sherlock Holmes."

It strongly implies that Kir was referencing Conan in that conversation. It was a hint to the reader to look for a trick that Conan could be involved in much like (highlight for manga spoilers)James Black mentioning he cultivated such eyes which was a somewhat blunt hint to the readers to look at eyes, specifically Sera's. And then in the most recent case, eye was scratched on the wall. (end spoilers)

We have the response during this chapter: Conan doesn't know (which is normal because he's the detective, he isn't supposed to have the answers.

Proof: Conan tries to save Scar Akai from the Black Organization. If Conan knew what happened to Akai, he would have already deduced that Scar Akai is Bourbon. The reader knows that Bourbon doesn't get along with Gin, but Conan doesn't. So, Conan has no reason to think that Bourbon can be killed by his BO comrades.

Conan doesn't like people dead, even bad guys. He would have interfered no matter who was walking out the door. Also something strange happened at the time which made Conan doubt his hypothesis that scar Akai was Bourbon - Jodie got a message from someone on the back of a coaster telling her it was dangerous here. You can tell from Conan's expression he is confused at hearing about that. (He gets the "....."s.) When Okiya appears, Conan realized that Okiya could have left it as well and also Okiya says talks about knowing someone which confirms for Conan someone is in disguise as Akai.

The phone trick

This is maybe the more important element. At the end of the case, it seems like Scar Akai is the one who sent the deductions to Kogoro Mouri. According to the informations we've recently learned about Bourbon, we are naturally led to believe that Scar Akai is a detective and that he's Bourbon.

Still, there are some strange elements:

-The handkerchief.

-The incomplete deductions.

In fact, by combining these two elements, we have the proof that Scar Akai is very unlikely to be the one who sent the mail.

Proof: The handkerchief

At first, it appears that Scar Akai uses the handkerchief to avoid leaving his fingerprints on the cell-phone he uses to send the mail to Mouri. But, by thinking a little more, isn't there something strange here ?

It would be pretty stupid to hold the phone with a handkerchief on one hand to avoid leaving his fingerprints, while he leaves them anyway with the other hand which writes the message. And anyway, it would be pretty uncomfortable and suspicious to write a message on a phone with an handkerchief.

This way, no fingerprints are left behind and the answer call would be sent on the borrowed phone.

Of course, this deduction would imply that Bourbon has his own phone. It would also mean that he would likely have access to the web from his own cell-phone.

Scar Akai sent the mail. Ran mailed back a random man who confirmed scar Akai had his phone. Also we know it wasn't Okiya because Okiya would have included info about the snowy mountains case because we know he looked it up earlier. Scar Akai may not have had access to the internet on his borrowed phone, so he didn't include the details.

Also, if scar Akai went through the trouble of handing the man back the phone with a hanky to avoid fingerprints, it's only logical he would have also wiped the buttons down with the hanky to remove his fingerprints before handing it back.

Also your trick wouldn't work. He still has to handle the borrowed phone in order to send the message to Kogoro's phone from it. He would have to use the buttons on the borrowed phone anyway in order to type in Kogoro's mail address. It also means he leaves his real phone's address on the borrowed phone when he sent the original message. He could have deleted it, but the phone company would still have a record of it and some phones can undelete messages, or worse, forward text messages to email where they can't be deleted by Bourbon.

The best strategy was the one Scar Akai used, steal someone's phone, use it to send the message, meaning he doesn't have to use his own phone or phone number and then wipe it down. The only "flaw" I see in the plan was giving the man his phone back at all. Scar Akai could have just thrown it out so the man didn't see who used it; however, Gosho has got to give the reader some clues to work with here. If the BO was perfect, there would be no mystery.

Proof: The incomplete deductions

Also, whether it is Bourbon or not, it's pretty clear that the person who thought that deductions is a great detective. So how comes the deductions are incomplete ?

Maybe his borrowed phone doesn't have internet which is why he didn't use it. Even if his real phone did have internet, maybe he didn't want to even bring it out because he didn't want anything on camera. He knew that he was on video recording even.

There is at least one logical explanation: the detective isn't Scar Akai. He isn't even present on the scene. So, he can only think his deductions based on the elements Scar Akai can give him (some infos, a picture taken from the cellphone...). The detective can't have all the infos Conan and Subaru are able to gather by being "on the scene", thus explaining the incomplete deductions.

So, in fact, while it would appear at first that Scar Akai is the detective, it would be in fact another person who sends Scar Akai his own deductions.

But in all of scar Akai's appearances, he wasn't seen using a phone. It would be really hard to remember every detail in order to send it to someone else unless you are constantly texting information to keep track of it. Think of the detective boys who were sending info to Heiji in the warehouse case. They were constantly taking pictures and typing info in order to make sure he got the necessary clues.
  • Upvote 1

Even if these condition are not met, If FBI or Takagi-on behalf-of-Conan contact phone company they will get hold of information of S.A. phone (which phone send sms to this person phone on this particular time bla bla bla).

Doing as you say required more time, even in exchange he can write his message casually, but if his skill is good he could have put the the phone in his pocket and no one will see, or just enter some toilet or some corner and use the second phone to type. remember the Bomber is not so watchful.

The bomber is not watchful, so it makes sense that Scar Akai uses a phone casually (like everyone else), but it would be suspectful if he tries to use it in a strange manner. So the trick wouldn't appear suspectful while, at the same tim, it would avoid leaving fingerprints.

The intention behind the use of the trick by Aoyama is to make Scar Akai appear as a more obvious suspect in the Bourbon case:

-Scar Akai didn't have to give back the phone to its owner. He could have just leave it somewhere, without being seen. By allowing Scar Akai to be seen, it would appear as if Scar Akai is a detective and, based on what Gin says about Bourbon being a detective (and we can add the fact that Gin seems to imply that Scar Akai is the detective he was talking about), Aoyama makes him a more obvious suspect in the Bourbon case.

-The phone message wasn't useful in solving the case. Still, the message is here and it's the main element which implies that Scar akai could be a detective. But, as I said, a trick could have been used to deceive the reader and, more importantly, Scar Akai has a motive to use that trick.

Now, for the informations about the owner of the first "phone", whoever Scar Akai is, they are probably fake anyway.

It is more convenient to decide S.A. don't have a phone and consequencly don't have access to internet. Why? Gosho want this guy to be think as Akai and have Conan and "Boubon" Okiya outsmart him to keep "Okiya is Bourbon" front intact.

It's strange because, as I see it, Aoyama does everything to make Scar Akai a strong suspect in the Bourbon case (if he calls him something other than "Akai", it would at the contrary be too obvious that he tries to mislead the reader and his deception wouldn't work).

I'm not thinking about what's convenient to decide, I'm thinking about the possibilities that can exist where Aoyama could have mislead the reader, especially when it involves the use of tricks. If a trick could exist somewhere, it could have been used by the characters.

And Bourbon could be disguising as well, with Vermouth's help.

He could be, yes. I still think it would be too easy, especially since the arc must use prominently Bourbon's detective skills, not Vermouth's disguised skills, but it could be.

It's just that I don't think Aoyama would do a trick for Bourbon that relies entirely on Vermouth's abilities and not on Bourbon's own detective abilities. Even more when the trick would also involve Subaru doing the same.

"Tricks? What kind of tricks could I use? ...(skip monologue here)... There's no means of utilizing any sort of trick. That is, unless you're implying he or I had superhuman brainpower that allowed us to calculate that far ahead... maybe then we could have tricked you. Yes, like that of Sherlock Holmes."

It strongly implies that Kir was referencing Conan in that conversation. It was a hint to the reader to look for a trick that Conan could be involved in much like

That's also what I thought at first, but what if she was talking about another detective, like one of those introduced later ?

The best strategy was the one Scar Akai used, steal someone's phone, use it to send the message, meaning he doesn't have to use his own phone or phone number and then wipe it down. The only "flaw" I see in the plan was giving the man his phone back at all. Scar Akai could have just thrown it out so the man didn't see who used it; however, Gosho has got to give the reader some clues to work with here. If the BO was perfect, there would be no mystery.

To throw the phone out would have been the obvious thing. For my part, the fact that he gave back the phone to the owner is something I won't overlooked because it's too important.

If Aoyama wanted to imply discreetly that Scar Akai could be a detective, he just had to show us Scar Akai using the phone (but if there is one thing that Aoyama hasn't shown us when Subaru noticed Scar Akai, it's precisely what Scar Akai was doing at that moment), not showing us that he was the one who brought the phone back.

Maybe his borrowed phone doesn't have internet which is why he didn't use it. Even if his real phone did have internet, maybe he didn't want to even bring it out because he didn't want anything on camera. He knew that he was on video recording even.

Still, if there was a trick involving the phone, it could explain why Aoyama didn't show us Scar Akai using it, because if it was just that he uses a phone to send Kogoro a message, we would have learned about it anyway very soon.

And having Bourbon work with Scar Akai? why complicate things? S.A. is not Akai but he's still a bad person and work for Bourbon but is not Bourbon. What kind of twist do we get?

I never said Scar Akai was a bad person, I said that I saw two possibilites: Scar Akai working with Bourbon or Scar Akai working with Masumi Sera (if she's not Bourbon of course).

But as you say (and I didn't thought of that), Bourbon would complicate things if he has someone to pose as Akai when he could do it himself.

On the other hand, Masumi couldn't impersonate Akai herself, she is an excellent detective and she wasn't present during the hostage cases, so she fits perfectly the description of the "detective" I was talking about in the trick.

So, I think of three possibilities (if no other detective appear later):

-Masumi Sera is Bourbon, she can't impersonate Akai and has someone else to do it for her. And Subaru Okiya is likely to be Akai.

-Masumi Sera isn't Bourbon and she is working with Scar Akai. In that case, Subaru Okiya is likely to be Bourbon.

-My deduction is totally wrong. lol !

He could be, yes. I still think it would be too easy, especially since the arc must use prominently Bourbon's detective skills, not Vermouth's disguised skills, but it could be.It's just that I don't think Aoyama would do a trick for Bourbon that relies entirely on Vermouth's abilities and not on Bourbon's own detective abilities. Even more when the trick would also involve Subaru doing the same.
Vermouth showing up, saying something to Gin we couldn't hear, and then Gin calling off Chianti after that is a pretty good indication Vermouth is involved. Bourbon is the one who is doing all the footwork and case solving, so it's mostly his effort, not Vermouth's. I think it would be weird if every bad guy in DC was a master of disguise capable of latex perfection, so I think it is a good call on Gosho's part to have Vermouth help Bourbon with this. Okiya's disguise is pretty simple if he is Akai: Glasses and a wig or hair dye + straightening. Regarding two people disguising seeming implausible plotwise, Gosho has already pulled the festival of disguise card once before for the Vermouth arc climax. We had Vermouth as Araide, Conan as Haibara, Heiji as Shinichi as the invisible man, Vodka as a zombie, Yukiko as Medusa, and the case culprit disguising the primary case suspect as himself. Okiya and scar Akai are small potatoes compared to the 30 disguise pileup that was Volume 42.

That's also what I thought at first, but what if she was talking about another detective, like one of those introduced later ?

But the quote's context implies that the detective she was talking about is the one who set up the plan to trick Gin and the Black Org by faking Akai's death. Since Conan was part of the fake Akai's death plan, it would make sense that Conan was the one.

To throw the phone out would have been the obvious thing. For my part, the fact that he gave back the phone to the owner is something I won't overlooked because it's too important.

If Aoyama wanted to imply discreetly that Scar Akai could be a detective, he just had to show us Scar Akai using the phone (but if there is one thing that Aoyama hasn't shown us when Subaru noticed Scar Akai, it's precisely what Scar Akai was doing at that moment), not showing us that he was the one who brought the phone back.

Gosho wrote/drew it like that to trick the readers into thinking Okiya sent it Mouri the text first. This is also the reason why scar Akai was not shown using his phone earlier. Then next file there is the shocking twist that it wasn't Okiya who sent it.

I really want to know how Bourbon's face would look like. I mean his REAL face. :rolleyes:

By the way, I wonder if Agasa knows that Bourbon is on the move ? Conan never discuss anything with him.

How many times did you say that Chel! :grin:

He should be the Scar Akai no matter how we look at it and the way he act.

I don't know. I'll say it so many times people will be convinced. :P OHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO!!

I just thought of something. And if Bourbon wasn't one of the three suspects we thought of but, like Araide, a character which appeared a little before and who wouldn't seem to be a suspect while having an odd behaviour and a strong connection to Akai's past ?

Because, when I thought of it, Andre Camel knows Akai's way of thinking well (and he's very likely to not trust in Akai's death), he investigates a lot lately (but no one would suspect him) and he has met both Scar Akai and Masumi Sera (but not Subaru, so maybe the Subaru is Akai theory could have some truth in it if Camel is Bourbon).

Still, he seems very unlikely to be Bourbon, but Araide was too so I don't know. Do you think we can consider him a suspect ?

I just thought of something. And if Bourbon wasn't one of the three suspects we thought of but, like Araide, a character which appeared a little before and who wouldn't seem to be a suspect while having an odd behaviour and a strong connection to Akai's past ?

Because, when I thought of it, Andre Camel knows Akai's way of thinking well (and he's very likely to not trust in Akai's death), he investigates a lot lately (but no one would suspect him) and he has met both Scar Akai and Masumi Sera (but not Subaru, so maybe the Subaru is Akai theory could have some truth in it if Camel is Bourbon).

Still, he seems very unlikely to be Bourbon, but Araide was too so I don't know. Do you think we can consider him a suspect ?

He happily went along with Akai's plan despite the risk to himself, nearly was murdered by Chianti on Gin's orders, and has a Gundam pun name based on a character (Lieutenant Dren) who is an ally to Char Aznable (who is Akai's namesake). He also knows Kir is a traitor and that Conan is helping the FBI, yet the Black Org has done nothing about either of them. He would also have to trick Akai.

Camel would have to be a really convincing spy whose infiltration is secret even from other operatives like Gin and Vermouth (who didn't stop Chianti from shooting) and is also willing to help the FBI seriously damage the Org to build confidence. I don't think Camel is a spy.

I'm thinking a theory that is unlikely true, but we know that in Aoyama's mind, anything is almost possible! :grin:

What if Scar Akai is actually part of Akai's plan? I can't think of any possibility on who's Bourbon in this theory (maybe he's a character that has yet to be revealed in the series).

I'm thinking that Scar Akai was part of Akai's 'plan' after the supposed 'fake' death. I assume that neither Conan nor Kir know this plot set up by Akai. And Akai has already set his mindset on how his plans will run.

Kinda weird. But, it was one of the many theories that I thought on Bourbon's real identity and his significance to the series.

I'm thinking a theory that is unlikely true, but we know that in Aoyama's mind, anything is almost possible! :grin:

What if Scar Akai is actually part of Akai's plan? I can't think of any possibility on who's Bourbon in this theory (maybe he's a character that has yet to be revealed in the series).

I'm thinking that Scar Akai was part of Akai's 'plan' after the supposed 'fake' death. I assume that neither Conan nor Kir know this plot set up by Akai. And Akai has already set his mindset on how his plans will run.

Kinda weird. But, it was one of the many theories that I thought on Bourbon's real identity and his significance to the series.

That's one theory.