Detective Conan World
Moonlight Magician

SCIENCE!

I was referring to just how prominent it is over nurture. Maybe it lessens in some areas (like the ability to adapt) while it can play a big role in things like how you carry yourself (slouch? big steps?). I know that "nature" is mostly about genetics, especially chromosomes, but how does it affect you as a human? Would I be able to tell if someone's xxxx trait/habit is from nature or nurture?

Some people might be more athletic than others because they were born with a larger lung capacity. Perhaps someone is better at doing Geometry over Algebra because his or her brain is wired differently. These are traits that you cannot change. You can try to improve them, but everything genetics-related is pretty much set in stone.

Whether the trait/habit is from nature or nurture depends on what it is. Skin color is most definitely determined from nature. Others, such as height, are in the gray area since they might be attributed to both nature and nurture. One person may have all homozygous dominant alleles for height (nature), but might've been living under extreme poverty for his or her entire life. So instead of being 6'5 like they're supposed to, this person might end up 4'2 because of malnutrition (nurture).

So really, there is no definitive way to tell whether a trait/habit is from nature or nurture.

I didn't really get the scenario though. Or for that matter, the basic quantum physics that went into it (oxymoron much?).

Something about the quantum waves...?

Schrodinger's Cat is the uncertainty principle. 

I think you're referring to the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. It basically implies that all outcomes of an event are possible and real--in other words, an infinite amount of different timelines/universes exist based on this theory. It relates to Schrodinger's Cat in that the cat can wound up either dead or alive. The many-worlds interpretation implies that both of these outcomes exist in decoherence. 

Your parents emotionally blackmail you? And it's inevitable? I feel like I'm missing a few details here because I don't see what they're trying to accomplish by doing that. It's good that you've managed to find a few friends around here. The DCW community is definitely my go-to place whenever I need to clear my mind and get away from things. I like to think of it as a short vacation.

It has more to do with me sighing and tossing away my time for their choices and whims because they've already made up their mind when they ask for my oh-so-valued opinion :P I can whine and do it, or grin and bear it. I tend to do both just to be painfully annoying.

Ahhh Schrodinger... I dunno MK, maybe because one brain is not enough to take in all the information of deviated events? Maybe perhaps some differences in personality because I could be acting on my murderous instinct some other multiverse. Then again your question began with an 'if', so maybe somewhere where that if isn't an if, our selves in that realm know the answer.

Also it would be troublesome if not kinda cool to be aware of a self that bought those two booster packs and pulled some rares while I'm here empty-handed. :P

It has more to do with me sighing and tossing away my time for their choices and whims because they've already made up their mind when they ask for my oh-so-valued opinion :P I can whine and do it, or grin and bear it. I tend to do both just to be painfully annoying.

Ahhh Schrodinger... I dunno MK, maybe because one brain is not enough to take in all the information of deviated events? Maybe perhaps some differences in personality because I could be acting on my murderous instinct some other multiverse. Then again your question began with an 'if', so maybe somewhere where that if isn't an if, our selves in that realm know the answer.

Also it would be troublesome if not kinda cool to be aware of a self that bought those two booster packs and pulled some rares while I'm here empty-handed. :P

If you are not conscious of this otherself, then it's not you =X

Consciousness = You.

Some people might be more athletic than others because they were born with a larger lung capacity. Perhaps someone is better at doing Geometry over Algebra because his or her brain is wired differently. These are traits that you cannot change. You can try to improve them, but everything genetics-related is pretty much set in stone.

Whether the trait/habit is from nature or nurture depends on what it is. Skin color is most definitely determined from nature. Others, such as height, are in the gray area since they might be attributed to both nature and nurture. One person may have all homozygous dominant alleles for height (nature), but might've been living under extreme poverty for his or her entire life. So instead of being 6'5 like they're supposed to, this person might end up 4'2 because of malnutrition (nurture).

So really, there is no definitive way to tell whether a trait/habit is from nature or nurture.

Schrodinger's Cat is the uncertainty principle. 

I think you're referring to the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics. It basically implies that all outcomes of an event are possible and real--in other words, an infinite amount of different timelines/universes exist based on this theory. It relates to Schrodinger's Cat in that the cat can wound up either dead or alive. The many-worlds interpretation implies that both of these outcomes exist in decoherence. 

To what extent though? There are many possible factors that can go into one trait, but what would happen if you took nature and nurture head on head? To word it differently, if you knew the heights and other physical attributes of a boy, and you knew the conditions of malnutrition he'd be going through while growing, is there a way to calculate years before what his full-grown height would be? Ehh that wasn't the best example. Maybe if you knew the factors that will be contributing to the trait of a person, would there be a way to calculate how much each attribute would come into play and what the outcome would be?

(This is a real question. You know a lot more about these things then I do.)

Oh, okay. The many-worlds interpretation... That's got to be one of my favorite subjects in science. I never knew Schrodinger's Cat played a role in that field though.

I am still doubtful of the many world/multiverse theory.

Anyways, yeah. There's a connection between Schrodinger's Cat and that. In his experiment, in another multiverse, the cat lived. In ours, it died.

I am still doubtful of the many world/multiverse theory.

Anyways, yeah. There's a connection between Schrodinger's Cat and that. In his experiment, in another multiverse, the cat lived. In ours, it died.

Multiverse and multi-worlds are different theories.

I think.

From what I understand, multiverses are simply different universes, with their own share of energy proportions among other things. Schrodinger's Cat refers to the different "timelines", if you will, of what happened/could happen.

Multiverse and multi-worlds are different theories.

I think.

From what I understand, multiverses are simply different universes, with their own share of energy proportions among other things. Schrodinger's Cat refers to the different "timelines", if you will, of what happened/could happen.

Oh. I always thought they were the same =X

Multiverse, from what I understood, pretty much encompasses both the many worlds which splits from time to time and the truly different universe which has it's own set of laws.

Energy Proportions?

Yup. True.

To what extent though? There are many possible factors that can go into one trait, but what would happen if you took nature and nurture head on head? To word it differently, if you knew the heights and other physical attributes of a boy, and you knew the conditions of malnutrition he'd be going through while growing, is there a way to calculate years before what his full-grown height would be? Ehh that wasn't the best example. Maybe if you knew the factors that will be contributing to the trait of a person, would there be a way to calculate how much each attribute would come into play and what the outcome would be?

(This is a real question. You know a lot more about these things then I do.)

Well, you'd also have to factor in the boy's metabolism in addition to his genes and diet. Even if you are in full control of his environment and nutrition, the boy's metabolism can still fluctuate throughout his lifetime. Something as wishy-washy as height is difficult to accurately calculate within a given time frame. It's possible to find a range, but I don't believe that it's possible to predict an exact height. There are other ways to control it though. If the boy has stunted growth caused by a defect in the pituitary gland (or even malnutrition), he could be given HGH in order to compensate. Nevertheless, that still wouldn't be enough to fully control his height. Actually, what I'm trying to say is, you can't really "calculate" this kind of stuff. Human genetics is lottery, the conditions people reside in change frequently, and trying to predict precise outcomes using numbers is nearly impossible. Nature and nurture will always coincide--they can't run "head-on-head." However, depending on the person, one may dominate over the other. For example, someone with severe autism won't be as greatly impacted by environment as a normal person who is in total control of his or her life (nurture). Instead, the autistic person would be too hindered by the crippling condition (nature).

As for the boy's height, if you theoretically were able to control every aspect that factors into his height, it might be possible to calculate his exact height (don't quote me on this, haha). Unfortunately, this isn't the case. There are countless amounts of these factors, so this would be a highly unrealistic goal. But like I said before--it's still possible to find a range.

I have no concrete answer for your nature vs. nurture discussion. It really varies from person to person. I, however, tend to lean towards nurture being the more significant facet if you're referring to how it affects the average population.

Ahh, sorry if this wasn't much help. It's rather difficult to find solid proof stating that one truly is superior to the other because to be honest, it really can't.

• Upvote 2

As for the boy's height, if you theoretically were able to control every aspect that factors into his height, it might be possible to calculate his exact height.

no+time+for.jpg

Who on earth is sane to do that?

Anyways, I'm gonna go for nurture. 65 for Nurture and 35 for Nature.

Well, you'd also have to factor in the boy's metabolism in addition to his genes and diet. Even if you are in full control of his environment and nutrition, the boy's metabolism can still fluctuate throughout his lifetime. Something as wishy-washy as height is difficult to accurately calculate within a given time frame. It's possible to find a range, but I don't believe that it's possible to predict an exact height. There are other ways to control it though. If the boy has stunted growth caused by a defect in the pituitary gland (or even malnutrition), he could be given HGH in order to compensate. Nevertheless, that still wouldn't be enough to fully control his height. Actually, what I'm trying to say is, you can't really "calculate" this kind of stuff. Human genetics is lottery, the conditions people reside in change frequently, and trying to predict precise outcomes using numbers is nearly impossible. Nature and nurture will always coincide--they can't run "head-on-head." However, depending on the person, one may dominate over the other. For example, someone with severe autism won't be as greatly impacted by environment as a normal person who is in total control of his or her life (nurture). Instead, the autistic person would be too hindered by the crippling condition (nature).

As for the boy's height, if you theoretically were able to control every aspect that factors into his height, it might be possible to calculate his exact height (don't quote me on this, haha). Unfortunately, this isn't the case. There are countless amounts of these factors, so this would be a highly unrealistic goal. But like I said before--it's still possible to find a range.

I have no concrete answer for your nature vs. nurture discussion. It really varies from person to person. I, however, tend to lean towards nurture being the more significant facet if you're referring to how it affects the average population.

Ahh, sorry if this wasn't much help. It's rather difficult to find solid proof stating that one truly is superior to the other because to be honest, it really can't.

+1~

A funny thing is my brother and father have remained more active than me in their lives yet I'm taller than the both of them. All I did was play football. :P

+1~

A funny thing is my brother and father have remained more active than me in their lives yet I'm taller than the both of them. All I did was play football. :P

genes, my friend

;)

+1~

I see my brother eating junk food 24/7...

... Why is he not fat?

And gonna do the same thing because I've got nothing to add xD

+1~

I see my brother eating junk food 24/7...

... Why is he not fat?

And gonna do the same thing because I've got nothing to add xD

it will kick in in time

then its a problem

also diabetes 

+1~

It's more of genetics, lol. Plus, could be different diets.

it will kick in in time

then its a problem

also diabetes 

Indulgence in chocolates and salty food, right now, is meh problem.

---

Nyah. *searches for Science news*

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/277026/two-large-planets-may-lurk-beyond-pluto

It's more of genetics, lol. Plus, could be different diets.

Indulgence in chocolates and salty food, right now, is meh problem.

---

Nyah. *searches for Science news*

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/277026/two-large-planets-may-lurk-beyond-pluto

when they cut of a part of your body it will be a problem