Detective Conan World
nanaironokaze

Detective Conan the cat

On wikipedia it said that Aoyama originally planned for detective conan to be about a cat who solved crime. Granted, wikipedia can't be trusted, but what if detective conan really was about a cat instead of well...conan? How would that affect detective conan as we know of today? Strange... :blink:

• Upvote 1

I ahve surely read it on wikipedia in the past, but as I have said, wikipedia can't really be trusted too much. Still, I think it was because sherlock hound was somewhat popular when conan was coming out, so that may be a reason behind it. Conan the cat is well...*shudders*

I am quite thankful that if the author ever considered making conan a cat, he decided against it. Conan's generall plot is actually quite unique. Aoyama should get at least some kudos for originality. The concept of a teenage detective becoming younger and solving cases as a child with an adult's brain isn't used very often, if at all. If detective conan was about a cat, I would have probably never bothered caring about it at all, which would have sucked as that would have been one less good manga I would have read, and frankly, good manga is pretty hard to come by nowadays. ;)

In the recent OtonaFami interview, Gosho did mention that how Conan helps solve a case is similar to how a fictional cat called "Calico Cat Holmes (三毛猫ホームズ)" does the same, but he never said that he planned on Conan being about a cat, to my knowledge. I do know that Gosho started Conan because the editors asked him to start some kind of mystery series, since Shonen Sunday wanted to imitate the success of Kindaichi, ha ha.

Sources:

OtonaFami interview:

Q:「YAIBA」の次はついに「名探偵コナン」ですが、どんな雰囲気をイメージして作られたんでしょうか?

After YAIBA is finally Detective Conan, what atmosphere did you imagine to make it?

A:「三毛猫ホームズ」です。猫がわかるわけないのに、証拠品に触ったりして事件が解決していく。コナンも一緒。子供がわかるわけないのに、「あれれ~?」とか言って。コナンは三毛猫ホームズが喋っているイメージです。

Calico Cat Holmes. Though a cat shouldn't understand, it touches around evidence and such and the case gets solved. Same thing with Conan. Though a child shouldn't understand, he says things like “arere~?” I imagine Conan to be Calico Cat Holmes talking.

Interview with Gosho and the creators of Kindaichi:

まずは連載が始まった経緯を教えてください。

First, pleast tell the details on how the serializations began.

青山剛昌:僕も同じような感じです。僕の場合は、「「金田一」が受けているから「少年サンデー」でも、そういうまんがをやってくれないか?」と打診されて。でも最初は、まったく乗り気じゃなかった。大変ですもん。

Gosho Aoyama: Same feel for me. In my case, I was probed, “Since Kindaichi is popular, can do you do that kind of manga for Shonen Sunday?” At first, though, I had no interest at all. It would be a lot of trouble, you see.

Wikipedia has a lot to learn.... Nope, Gosho WAS NOT about to make the main character a cat. He GOT THE IDEA OF MAKING CONAN from the Cat detective,Mikeneko Holmes. For more information, please refer to the SDB(THe one I translated with the help of Kaoko and Monsi). Below is the page from my translation where I got the info stated upstairs from. :D So.... is anyone in the mood of fixing the wikipage?hahaha

10bda.jpg