Detective Conan World
Maurice

New website design and platform!

27 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the new design and features?

• It's awesome!
    • It's okay
    • The old one's better
    • I don't know

Hello DC fans!

I'm really proud and honored to announce the release of this updated version of DCW! I've been working hard during these past few weeks to redesign and redevelop the site. It's not based on Wordpress anymore (which didn't grant enough flexibility and or customization + it's slower than the current platform). The new website is now built on top of our own custom-built DCW infrastructure which is itself built on top of CodeIgniter, a popular PHP framework.

Here are the updates and new features released:

- 1 account for everything! That's right. Once you login, you'll be able to post comments on videos, rate them, submit links, post on the forum, edit the wiki, and more...

Here's how it's now gonna work: both the site account and forum accounts were merged. If you had a forum account, that's the one you need to use to login (same password you had). If you didn't have a forum account, use your old site's username and password to login and it'll work. If you had both a site and forum account, they were both merged and you should use the forum username and password to connect. Note however that this whole merging process isn't an exact science. For example, if your site and forum accounts had two completely different usernames (I was still able to merge some of such accounts though), then it's very likely that the two accounts still exist right now. If that's the case, simply PM me and let me know if you'd like to delete one of them.

- BIG change to the submission system! You are not limited to only submitting the "embed codes" anymore (although it will still work if you do), but you can now also submit the URL to the video (just copy/paste from the browser's address bar). :)

- Improved "Watching" section! You can now also watch: dramas, magic files, unique other ovas, openings, closings and movie themes!

- It is now possible to report a link as broken right from under the video.

Another cool thing: a DCWBot was created to automatically gather the list of reported broken links and if a specific link reaches 3 reports (current threshold for now), the bot will automatically post on the "Report broken links" forum so that the community and/or mods can confirm it's broken and eventually submit new links if they feel like helping. I believe it'll be a great way to create awareness and more efficiently allow the community to help out whenever needed.

- The videos from the watch sections now also feature direct links to the wiki (since everything is tightly integrated after all). Hopefully this will promote traffic and contributors to the wiki!

- The forum has been converted from phpBB to IPB. It should now provide more features as well as security enhancements.

I think that's about it for now. If there's anything else worth mentioning (and which isn't there), I'll update this post later.

I hope you enjoy those new features! Let me know what you think. Your feedback is always most appreciated! :)

Thank you.

Which links? Maybe you tested when I was still polishing the details? :o

I can't seem to find those broken links right now. Or maybe I'm missing them. Hmm..

Otherwise, thank you guys. :)

So it would be stupid not to notice the big changes around. The changes are pretty great but there were some that was surprising especially on the part where you're used to your 'navigation' stuff.

Home: 9.5/10

I can't deny the fact that it's great but it somehow disappointed me on the "Latest News" changes. It wouldn't really matter to me since I subscribe to this page, anyway.

Watch: 10/10

People aren't really used to sudden changes but it's great. The content is better. The old left column was moved to the right column. So, the layout is pretty great and pretty much the same.

Forum: 10/10

Forum is great. Looking at the layout generally, it makes you stare at it. It had made great changes so I can't say much... In short, I'm speechless. :)

Overall, amazing!

so... when I initially noticed the change, I'd only seen the front page and the forums... I hadn't looked at any of the "watch" pages yet

and the verdict is: I love the new format! the "watch" pages look great

the one thing I'd suggest is putting full news stories back on the front page

:)

the one thing I'd suggest is putting full news stories back on the front page

Actually, my idea was to create a sub-forum called something like "Pending News" or "The News Workshop" where people can post news just like they could before with the blog and once those news are approved, they would be moved to the News forum and thus the homepage would link to it just like it's linking to the latest news right now. There'd also be a new Member rank called "Reporter" or something like that heh.

But I haven't had time to get to it yet. One step at a time. Maybe later we'll have an actual dedicated News section of some kind but just like for the redesign, this does take some time to implement. :/

But any ideas or feedback there are greatly appreciated, just as usual. :)