Detective Conan World
Detective Rohit

The Beauty Of The Celestal Heavens

Man must rise above the Earth—to the top of the atmosphere and beyond—for only thus will he fully understand the world in which he lives.

-Socrates [/Quote]

Welcome to the Astronomy Thread!

DESCRIPTION:

This is mainly the place for all those who wonder whats beyond the stars, those who love to see the starry night aka Star gazing, who who dream to travel into space, those who want to know more about our heavenly surroundings and those who also like to photograph it.

WHAT CAN I DO HERE?:

Its upto you! Post pictures, videos, facts etc anything related to Outer Space. Discussions are also allowed.

SOME FACTS:

--> Our Galaxy, The Milkyway, is a Barred-Spiral Galaxy. It will take atleast 100,0000 years to travel via the Diameter of the galaxy. After 4.5 Billion Years, Milky Way will collide with our neughbour, Andromeda Galaxy.

--> Sun is not big enough to go into a Supernova. It will become a Red Giant and finally transform into a White Dwarf(Core of the sun). 1 teaspoon of the white dwarf== 10million Tons!!

--> Neutron Stars are highly magnetic. Their magnetic strength is around 10^7 Tesla. While Earth's Magnetic Field is 0.4 Gauss(1 Tesla= 10000 Gauss).

--> Black Holes are so dense that even light cannot excape its Gravity.

--> Stars are formed from clouds of gas called Nebulas.

--> There is no solid ground on Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

--> Universe consists of 100 Billion Galaxies!

--> Eta Carinae is supposed to go Supernova in some few years. When it does, it will shine brighter than the moon for couple of years, even though its 400000 light years away.

--> 1 Light year== Distance travelled by light in 1 year.

--> New Horizons spacecraft will make a much closer pass to Pluto in 2015. (I am really excited about this)

--> Titan, natural satellite of Saturn is larger than the planet Mercury.

--> Whenever we see objects far away in space, its like a time machine.

PS- There are so many that i cant post all of them here.

SOME PHOTOS LINKS:

Crab Nebula:(My favourite picture <3)

http://www.spacetelescope.org/static/archives/images/screen/heic0515a.jpg

Andromeda Galaxy:

http://www.californiaindianeducation.org/science_lab/pics/space_photos/Andromeda_Galaxy.jpg

Sombrero Galaxy: (Infrared light)

http://www.thunderbolts.info/tpod/2008/image08/080512sombrero.jpg

Eye Of God:

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/image/0809/HelixNB3RWeb2_goldman.jpg

Aurora Borealis:

http://geology.com/nasa/aurora/aurora-borealis-purple.jpg

Comet:

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/images/content/about/news_items/image_comet.jpg

And ofcouse our beloved Earth:

http://www.britsattheirbest.com/images/ii_earth_in_space.gif

For all those Space fan, Post! Link pictures, throw questions, share facts, have fun!

ASTRONOMY is my Girlfriend, My Heart and My Soul! <3

And a Telescope is my Best Friend.

This is one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

- You know who.

[/Quote]

• Upvote 3

I like star-gazing.

Indeed! All you need is a grassy field devoid of trees, a telescope and a starry sky. Pure inner peace. xD

Quasars are Black Holes that are gigantic. Luckily, we don't have any near us.

Black Holes is just a point..like a point of any needle. But its mass is greater than our sun! If you compress our earth into a small particle of dust, it will be a small black-hole. Quasar's are GIGANTIC! They are actually centre of a active galaxy. Even our own galaxy has a Supermassive Blackhole in its centre..but its nowhere compared to centre of Quasar. And quasars are veery far away. Hence not much is known about them :S

<333333333333333

I've heard that a planet was found in another galaxy with many conditions similar to that of earth~ possibilities of life~ XD

I wonder~~~

Umm same galaxy, we cannot see even stars neatly in other galaxies lol..Its called Nasa's "Keplar Mission". The Keplar spacecraft is specifically designed to find planets like earth. And yes it has found 2-3 planets. They are still under observation.

PS- Nice to see that people have interests :D

Indeed! All you need is a grassy field devoid of trees, a telescope and a starry sky. Pure inner peace. xD

That's one valid way of stargazing~ :)

The truth is, I've never actually been to place that could fit that description perfectly.

The place where I live at right now has very polluted skies.

I went stargazing with my cousins... we slept under the stars~

The truth is, I've never actually been to place that could fit that description perfectly.

Ahh, same. I used to live in Mumbai...Its so polluted..that sometimes we dont even see moon :o

Now, my hostel is like a hill station. Pollution is nil :D Btw its so awesome sleeping under the stars. I am sure that your whole life must have been reflected during that time :D

I used to go star gazing with my brother when he was still in college.

It's good to know that other people are also interested in astronomy.

I still do when get free time. :D I am die hard astonomy fan! xD

The Cat's Eye Nebula!! xD

catseye.jpg

I really love the universe and astronomy in general. I'm a big fan of Blackholes and Quasars.

I also like starry sky. It's too bad that in my country and where I'm living, we can hardly see anything besides Sun, Moon and Venus. :mellow:

I really love the universe and astronomy in general. I'm a big fan of Blackholes and Quasars.

Black Holes is really an awesome creation along with Quasars. Imagine a needle like point with mass greater than our sun xD

So long as the pollutants don't get trapped (LA) a simple blackout and a park fits the bill nicely. However, nothing, and I mean nothing beats stargazing from the roof of a tall building with a nice telescope during a black out. I only had the chance to do that once though...

However... to simulate that again, I suppose it would only take a few blocks of C4, some awesome stealthy moves to break into the local power grid, and a powerful enough remote so it can be detonated when you are on your rooftop... Of course people would be without power for a while, but I think the resulting view would be worth it.

So long as the pollutants don't get trapped (LA) a simple blackout and a park fits the bill nicely. However, nothing, and I mean nothing beats stargazing from the roof of a tall building with a nice telescope during a black out. I only had the chance to do that once though...

However... to simulate that again, I suppose it would only take a few blocks of C4, some awesome stealthy moves to break into the local power grid, and a powerful enough remote so it can be detonated when you are on your rooftop... Of course people would be without power for a while, but I think the resulting view would be worth it.

I dont expect that to happen in metropolitan cities. Instead of such a destructive way, rather go to a village(30-40 km away) and gaze at the stars as it will be less noisy there. Most of the cities, there will be light pollution...precisely why some people werent able to see Halley's Comet in LA. And with recent usage of inverters and generaters, black out is only seen during Earth Hours.