|This article contains information about a chapter that hasn't been translated to English yet. Read on at your own risk. To find out what pages will be safe for you to read, please consult our wiki spoiler policy.|
|Yaiba Chapter 248|
|Japanese title:||天与の才 |
(Tenyo no Sai)
|Original release:||September 22nd, 1993|
|Shōnen Sunday issue:||#43/1993|
|Prev chapter:||« Secret Sword of Illusion|
|Next chapter:||The Poster Child of Battle »|
|List of chapters|
Divine Talent (天与の才 Tenyo no Sai) is the 248th chapter of the manga of Yaiba. It was written by Gosho Aoyama and drawn by him and his assistants and first released in Shōnen Sunday #43/1993 on September 22nd, 1993 and later on reprinted as the fifth chapter of volume 24 on February 18th, 1994.
In order of introduction:
In order of appearance:
In order of introduction:
After winning every previous round, Yaiba Kurogane and his friends Sayaka Mine and Musashi Miyamoto, as well as Yaiba's younger sister Moroha Kurogane, trudge through some sort of bamboo forest on the artificial, skull-shaped island of Yoroi, on which the Oda Nobunaga Tournament is held. Yaiba literally stumbles over Soshi Okita, who's sleeping in the tall grass, which extremely upsets the former. Only then do both realize that they are in the semi-finals, and are the next mutual opponents.
It quickly becomes clear however that Yaiba is remarkably inferior to Soshi, who's around his age, but way more experienced. With his precise and inescapable attacks, Soshi is constantly hurting Yaiba more and more, while he doesn't land one single hit. Musashi thinks that he recognizes the movement of Shinsengumi member Soji Okita in the boy's fighting style. Soshi confirms Musashi's suspicion that he is a descendant of Soji and shows the back of his uniform, which he inherited from his ancestor.
But there is something else: he actually only participates in this tournament because he made a bet with his grandfather. The latter wants to raise his grandson to be a modern samurai, but Soshi has no interest in this at all, he doesn't want to live the life of a swordsman. He is even bored about the mere idea of traveling around and never finding anyone who could offer him a real challenge and it wouldn't gain him much money to boot, so he'd rather like to devote his life to another vocation. His grandfather made the offer that he partakes in this tournament and if he won, he was free to choose his own path in life, but should he lose, he must continue to follow the path of the sword.
At this point it looks like Soshi is going to win his bet - he gives little Yaiba a lot of trouble and even manages to instantly and successfully imitate a sword technique Yaiba just tried and failed to use after practicing it for a long time...
- Sayaka Mine and Moroha Kurogane wear Winter school uniforms (worn from October 1st-May 30th).
- Chapter 11 of what the fandom calls the "Oda Nobunaga Tournament Arc" (Manga: Chapters 237-254).
- Secret Sword of Illusion (Yaiba Manga: 247): This chapter is a direct continuation of the previous one.
- The Poster Child of Battle (Yaiba Manga: 249): The next chapter is a direct continuation of this one.
- A Samurai's Pride (Yaiba Manga: 253): Yaiba Kurogane reminisces about several big confrontations he had in recent times, one of them his encounter with Soshi Okita, which started in this chapter.
- Hands Off! (Manga: 991): Yaiba is indirectly mentioned by Okita as "another one, a real strong guy I can't lose ta!" during this chapter, based on his experiences with him from these chapters.
- The Dark Crimson Omen (Manga: 1005): Yaiba is mentioned again by Okita and seen in the panel background. The latter also confirms that he's got a crush on his sister Moroha Kurogane, which Gosho Aoyama confirmed he started having back when he fought her brother during these chapters.
- Soshi Okita's introduction panel from this chapter is recreated during his debut in File 990 of Detective Conan.
- ^ Since Soshi Okita and Yaiba Kurogane are supposed to be the same age and both are 17 years old during those character's presence in Detective Conan and the epilogue of their own series, which are set three years after the Oda Nobunaga Tournament, Okita would also be 14 during the latter.
- ^ LOVE PLUS Super Digest Book
Q34: Since when Soshi Okita has feelings towards Moroha Kurogane? This has been on my mind to the point where I can’t sleep at night, so please tell us in one of the episodes.
A: If I wasn't mistaken, he fell in her love since the first time he saw her while he was fighting Yaiba
Translated by: Linzz, Spimer, Manaphy, Holmes, Sen, nightbaron, Ali