Detective Conan World

I asked some members if I should start a Math Thread, and they said yes (except Zubat) . They I asked Kaitaku/Shadow where I should post this and she said here, in the Chatroom.

Welcome to the Torture Math Thread! In some way, a math problem is like a case in Detective Conan: you don't get anything except info. And the contentment of solving it is enough.

I used to post Math problems in my status, but it's better to have a thread to be organized! And you can post problems or lessons here!

To those who hate Math: I know that you hate it because of a. Teachers b. Graded tests c. Pressure, so if you ever join this thread, we won't pressure you with tests and we won't be strict, so just relax, and you might pick up a thing or two here!

RULES:

1. This is a Math Thread. Please minimize the talk about other subjects.

2. Any person can post a Math problem and/or lesson in this thread. For a problem, any number of people can try and solve it until the owner of the problem chooses to reveal the answer. The poster of the problem may choose to give reputation points to the ones that solved it correctly.

3. If you want to post your answer and solution (if you have one), please put it in a spoiler box so that people who are trying to solve it can solve it without any hints.

4. When correcting people, use soft words.

5. Learn to enjoy the most hated subject of students~~!

So...to start, here's a fairly simple, yet confusing, problem:

A kilogram of cement can be made into a pot. The shavings of 6 pots can be recast into another pot. How many pots can be made with 216 kg of cement?

Well, all I can think of is

6 pots : 1 recycled pot

216 pots : 36 recycled pots.

Add em and you get 252. As 1 kg = 1 pot so 216 = 216 pots. Or if 7 pots for every 6 kg then also 252. :/

259 pots.

1 kg = 1 pot, so 216 kg = 216 pots (duh). Take the shavings of 6 pots and you've got yourself another pot.

So, 216 / 6 = 36. Now you take the shavings from the 36 pots you just made and make yourself another 6 pots (36 / 6 = 6). From the last 6 pots you just made, you can make 1 more pot. Therefore, 216 + 36 + 6 + 1 = 259

• Upvote 5

*sighs* Can people post the answer in spoiler boxes next time? I haven't the faintest idea on how to solve things you get to study. -_-

@Mohovie: Please do.

259 pots.

1 kg = 1 pot, so 216 kg = 216 pots (duh). Take the shavings of 6 pots and you've got yourself another pot.

So, 216 / 6 = 36. Now you take the shavings from the 36 pots you just made and make yourself another 6 pots (36 / 6 = 6). From the last 6 pots you just made, you can make 1 more pot. Therefore, 216 + 36 + 6 + 1 = 259

o.0 Cool ^^ That's why you're Cool Kid! I totally forgot about adding the shavings from those pots -.-" A rep for you ^^

I've always got math problems ready, so if you want me to post one I'll gladly.

okay moho :D

@White Rabbit oh sure

Next prob: Confusing again...

If you roll a fair 6-sided die and multiply all the faces (not including top and bottom), what is the greatest possible product?

Remember to put your answer in a spoiler box!

120..? I guess..?

When 6/1 are at top/bottom the product of lateral faces will be 2x3x4x5 = 120

When 5/2 are at top/bottom the product of lateral faces will be 1x3x4x6 = 72

When the 4/3 are at top/bottom the product of lateral faces will be 1x2x5x6 = 60...

Hence maximum possible product is 120, if I have understood the question correct... :P

• Upvote 1

I thought you would be confused! I asked my older sister that and she answered 360 (1x2x3x4x5x6/1x2), but she forgot the "property"
Both correct! Reps for ya!

A harder problem:

What is the largest number that cannot be expressed as:
A. A multiple of 3
B. A multiple of 10
C. A sum of a multiple of 3 and a multiple of 10?

EDIT: Zubat begged asked for a hint, so here it is!: Subtract by tens.