Detective Conan World

Bourbon  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What is Bourbon's identity?

• Okiya Subaru
    • Scar Akai (Note that most votes here are from before Amuro existed.)
    • Sera Masumi
    • Akai Shuuichi (who is reinfiltrating the Org.)
    • A new character (not yet introduced)
    • Someone else
    • Koumei
    • Andre Camel
    • Another known character in disguise
    • Amuro Tooru who is Scar Akai
    • Amuro Tooru who is not scar Akai
  2. 2. What is Bourbon's real assignment? (multiple choice)

• Find and kill Sherry
    • Find and kill Akai
    • Investigate the FBI to make sure Akai is really dead
    • Investigate Conan/Shinichi's true identity and kill him if necessary
    • Infiltrate the FBI
    • Test Kir's loyalty
    • Kill someone else
    • Some other assignment
    • Bourbon is a double agent and is trying to spy on or damage/destroy the Org
    • Bourbon doesn't want to do his assignment for personal reasons (e.g. sympathy)
  3. 3. What is Vermouth's promise with Bourbon? (multiple choice)

• Something not listed below
    • Don't do anything that harms Conan and Ran
    • Watch and/or protect Conan and Ran
    • Don't do anything that harms Haibara
    • Watch and/or protect Haibara
    • Don't do anything that harms someone else
    • Watch and/or protect someone else
    • Capture Sherry/Haibara without harming someone else.
    • Capture or kill Akai without harming someone else.
    • To kill/harm a particular person
    • Obtain some information related to Conan or Haibara
    • Obtain some information related to Sera
    • Obtain some information related to Okiya
    • Bourbon will keep a certain secret.
    • Bourbon will not sidetrack him/herself from his/her main mission
    • To do a side operation that is not part of Bourbon's main mission
    • Don't do anything suspicious in front of Conan or Kogoro

There are plenty of reasons Akai could be at odds with the japanese police. He was a BO operative once, though it was a cover. And he probably had some encounters with Tooru Amuro at that time.

But do the Japanese police even know about the BO's existence? I'm convinced they don't since the FBI is working secretly from them while investigating the BO.

But do the Japanese police even know about the BO's existence? I'm convinced they don't since the FBI is working secretly from them while investigating the BO.

Some special units of the police, more like secret agencies, probably know about it.

Of course the FBI is working secretly and separately, this is an american organization. They shouldn't even investigate on the japanese territory, what they're doing is illegal and can be considered as espionage. All the more reason for japanese officials to have their own investigation on the BO.

Some special units of the police, more like secret agencies, probably know about it.

Of course the FBI is working secretly and separately, this is an american organization. They shouldn't even investigate on the japanese territory, what they're doing is illegal and can be considered as espionage. All the more reason for japanese officials to have their own investigation on the BO.

I don't lean this way because I am not seeing any proof of it.

Edit

Reply to Glass heart 2 posts below V

I disagree and think the Scar Akai is Bourbon theory makes the most sense and has the best evidence.

(Sorta cheating, but sorry I didn't think this reply was worth making a whole separate post for...)

I don't lean this way because I am not seeing any proof of it.

Not only this, I'd say Amuro doesn't really act all that "police-ish". I'm not sure a good cop would stand back and let a kid (Conan) get put into danger just to solve the case. I think it was File...800? Or 799? Unless ofc he was a bent cop or something of those lines...perhaps, but still, I'm more convinced he's Bourbon.

i Think that BourBon is Masumi sera since she was wonderd about the fbi and i think that Okaya subaru is akai but who i don't know right now is scar akai . he is defntly nor bourbon - sry for my poor english -.-

Scar Akai is Bourbon. To those saying why he didn't ask the org for a voice changing device, didn't Gin already hinted this that Bourbon is mysterious and even he didn't know where Bourbon was. Also, the FBI would have easily notice if Scar Akai is using a voice changing device.

So far, I haven't seen a decisive evidence that Scar Akai could be Bourbon. Gin seems to imply it, sure, but I really think Scar Akai and Bourbon are two separate entities.

I can't think of any logical reason for Bourbon posing as Scar Akai, it would be the worst way to begin his investigation no matter how I see it. The best way to begin would be to investigate Mouri's agency, one way or the other (either directly like Tooru or more indirectly like Masumi).

Still, I'll wait for the resolution.

I can't think of any logical reason for Bourbon posing as Scar Akai, it would be the worst way to begin his investigation no matter how I see it.
Targeting Akai's closest FBI colleagues seems like a really good start. Who would you get help from first, close friends or random strangers?

Targeting Akai's closest FBI colleagues seems like a really good start. Who would you get help from first, close friends or random strangers?

I've thought of that. I agree with you that investigating Akai's closest colleagues would be the most obvious thing to do, but would he do that by posing as Shuichi Akai ?

If the FBI have indeed helped Akai, then he would be exposed and the FBI could easily arrest him. If they don't know anything, then the FBI would think Akai could still be alive and he would have attracted unnecessary attention.

The only reason I could think of for the Scar Akai persona is that someone wants the FBI and/or the Black Organization to think that Shuichi Akai is still alive. And there are three people which would have surely no interest for the organizations to think that Akai is still alive:

-Akai because he's gone undercover for some reason and it could ruin everything (to the point he needs even his closest allies to think he's truly dead in order to completely deceive the BO).

-Kir because the fact she faked Akai's death would be exposed.

-Bourbon because he surely doesn't want Gin and the FBI interfering into his investigations. And it's probably also better for his investigation if Shuichi Akai is assured that everyone has fallen for his trick. If Akai suspects that someone has seen through it, he would be even more careful, which would only complicate Bourbon's investigation.

I still think the safest way for Bourbon to begin his investigations is the Mouri's agency. Mouri was supposedly involved with both Kir and Shuichi Akai at one point and the tracker found on Kir's shoes after her meeting with Mouri was the same Gin has found in his car, suspecting Sherry to be the one who put it.

Mouri is a link between three people Bourbon hates: Shuichi Akai (which he suspects to still be alive), Kir (because if Akai is still alive, then she is a traitor) and Sherry (the other traitor, possibly his target). It's a lead worth enough to begin his investigation, and distant enough from the FBI (he's more discreet that way).

From that point, I think it could be either Masumi Sera (which would investigate the agency indirectly by becoming involved with Ran and Conan) or Tooru Amuro (which would investigate directly by becoming Kogoro's apprentice), given the fact Scar Akai's identity is not yet confirmed. But since it's very likely Tooru is Scar Akai, my prime suspect is Masumi Sera.

As for Scar Akai, I suspect his real target is Bourbon. In that configuration, posing as Shuichi Akai to lure him is the perfect bait. But Subaru Okiya and Bourbon might have probably seen through the trick/trap considering Bourbon didn't manifest in the shopping district and even asked for Gin to retreat (probably to avoid unnecessary interference, especially from someone he doesn't hold in high respect like Gin).

Glassheart, since you said Amuro is most likely Scar Akai, then it is likely that he is Bourbon too because it would be Vermouth's responsibility to perfect his disguise. Unless you're saying Amuro is a professional disguiser like Kid, Vermouth, and and Yukiko which would be highly unlikely. Akai's disguise as Okiya is way easier on the other hand is way simpler since he only needs a wig and glasses.

Still, there are several cases in the manga of other people successfully transforming their faces and impersonating someone without Kid, Yukiko or Vermouth being involved. Amuro could also have connections to help him perform this disguise.

If you're alluding of Vermouth's appearance during the bombing hostage case, I have thought about that.

As I said in my previous post, I think Bourbon is Scar Akai's real target and posing as Shuichi Akai is the perfect bait to trap him (Bourbon). But the bait didn't work since Bourbon didn't showed himself (though Scar Akai has spotted Chianti, so he knows the BO was present at least).

Subaru Okiya (Shuichi Akai) was able to identify the person impersonating him because he was on the scene. Somehow, Bourbon was also able to identify the trap and probably warned Gin to step out of it (and probably also to stay out of his way).

My guess if that either Bourbon/Masumi was able to deduce it right away without going on the scene thanks to some informations she had already gathered, or that she could have been amoung the people taken as hostages under a disguise performed by Vermouth (whoever Scar Akai is, there is a chance he knows her face), so the way she would have identified Scar Akai's identity and the trap could have been the same than for Subaru.

The second explanation could also explain Masumi Sera's suspicions of Subaru Okiya upon first meeting him. Either she has recognized Shuichi Akai or she has identify him as someone she has already spotted during that bombing hostage case, thanks to some strong photographic memory ability.

Now, I can't be sure of the disguise Masumi had taken, though I have an idea of who she could have been. I guess Subaru really means it when he says he wants to treat "those holding their breath, waiting in impatience in this heat" with some hot, bitter coffee.

Haibara's strong reaction when Scar Akai walked by on the train was pretty telling. It couldn't be Sera who didn't trigger one earlier and who was in Mouri's room at the time. Who knows where Okiya is, but most of the time he doesn't cause a Haibara reaction. Why now?

I've thought of that. I agree with you that investigating Akai's closest colleagues would be the most obvious thing to do, but would he do that by posing as Shuichi Akai ?

Akai seems to have died at Kir's hand, but Bourbon believes this was some sort of setup and Akai is not really dead and has gone into hiding somewhere. The problem is finding Akai. Without any leads on where Akai has gone, the logical choice is to find out which of Akai's friends knows the real story of what happened - that which ones know he is alive. Showing up as Akai but with one obvious difference -- a giant scar -- and watching how they react to him is one way of doing this.

If the FBI have indeed helped Akai, then he would be exposed and the FBI could easily arrest him. If they don't know anything, then the FBI would think Akai could still be alive and he would have attracted unnecessary attention.

Which is why Scar Akai has only shown up in public places with lots of people around when the FBI target is alone. This pattern held true even for Sera. The FBI can't arrest him without making a scene. Scar akai had no idea unrelated cases were going to happen that trapped him in one place for long. Bourbon's motives and actions explained: extended version

I still think the safest way for Bourbon to begin his investigations is the Mouri's agency. Mouri was supposedly involved with both Kir and Shuichi Akai at one point and the tracker found on Kir's shoes after her meeting with Mouri was the same Gin has found in his car, suspecting Sherry to be the one who put it.

The problem is that theory was seemingly disproven when they realized Akai had been hanging out at the agency waiting for them. Vermouth said the FBI made Kogoro bait.

Mouri is a link between three people Bourbon hates: Shuichi Akai (which he suspects to still be alive), Kir (because if Akai is still alive, then she is a traitor) and Sherry (the other traitor, possibly his target). It's a lead worth enough to begin his investigation, and distant enough from the FBI (he's more discreet that way).

I'm not arguing that Kogoro is not suspicious, but the payoff is better if he goes after Akai's closest FBI colleagues first because if they prove useful, Amuro could then avoid a longer term infiltration of the Mouri agency.

As I said in my previous post, I think Bourbon is Scar Akai's real target and posing as Shuichi Akai is the perfect bait to trap him (Bourbon). But the bait didn't work since Bourbon didn't showed himself (though Scar Akai has spotted Chianti, so he knows the BO was present at least).

Subaru Okiya (Shuichi Akai) was able to identify the person impersonating him because he was on the scene. Somehow, Bourbon was also able to identify the trap and probably warned Gin to step out of it (and probably also to stay out of his way).

So why wouldn't SeraBourbon ask Gin to kill imposter Akai anyway because he was making himself a nuisance by investigating the Org? They were all set up to do it. What was Vermouth going there?

Also, your Scar Akai needs a motive, and a good one for wanting the Org or FBI to think Akai was alive, as well as not really caring what happens to Kir if the Org does come to think Akai is alive. We are running out of Bourbon arc pretty quickly now, so we should have some clues about this.

So why wouldn't SeraBourbon ask Gin to kill imposter Akai anyway because he was making himself a nuisance by investigating the Org? They were all set up to do it. What was Vermouth going there?

This, I believe if it were anyone other than Bourbon, Gin would have had him killed. Gin and the BO retreated pretty quickly after Vermouth spoke to Gin, and Gin seemed to be aware of Scar Akai's identity, so, if it were a cop in disguise or anyone who isn't Bourbon, he probably would have been shot there and then especially if he was investigating the Org, because the Org is known for not taking any chances, E.g. Gin would have had Mouri shot on the basis that he COULD have something to do with the wiretap being stuck to Kir's shoe, even though Conan made it clear that Mouri was listening to the horserace.

Without any leads on where Akai has gone, the logical choice is to find out which of Akai's friends knows the real story of what happened - that which ones know he is alive. Showing up as Akai but with one obvious difference -- a giant scar -- and watching how they react to him is one way of doing this.

The logical choice, but not the wisest. As I said, either the FBI know about Akai and Bourbon would be exposed as a fake, or they don't know and he would have attracted unnecessary attention (both onto his activities and onto the possibility of Shuichi Akai being still alive). Either way, it's a dangerous move and it could only complicate his investigations, so I highly doubt he would do something that careless (especially since it was supposed to be a careful move according to Vermouth).

Which is why Scar Akai has only shown up in public places with lots of people around when the FBI target is alone. This pattern held true even for Sera. The FBI can't arrest him without making a scene.

True, they can't arrest him right away without exposing themselves, but he would still be exposed. Not a clever move.

Scar akai had no idea unrelated cases were going to happen that trapped him in one place for long.

True, but I did take that into account.

The problem is that theory was seemingly disproven when they realized Akai had been hanging out at the agency waiting for them. Vermouth said the FBI made Kogoro bait.

That was the explanation given by Vermouth and Gin accepted to buy it for the time being. But even if he was bait, Kogoro was still involved with both Kir and the FBI.

If Bourbon is already doubting Gin's judgment of Kir's loyalty, he might also doubt Gin's ability to judge Mouri. If Akai was able to trick Gin once, he could have done that twice.

I'm not arguing that Kogoro is not suspicious, but the payoff is better if he goes after Akai's closest FBI colleagues first because if they prove useful, Amuro could then avoid a longer term infiltration of the Mouri agency.

I still don't see how that would help him. Even if they did know something, Bourbon would still be exposed and, while the FBI won't be able to arrest him without making a scene, the same also goes for him. He won't be able to interrogate them. It's not in the BO mentality to do things rushly and to take unnecessary risks.

And Bourbon is still a detective. Despite what you say, he would still investigate the whole stuff before making his move. Bourbon needs to be extracareful in finding Akai's whereabouts in order to find Sherry after (since he probably thinks that Sherry and Akai are working together, considering the fact that the trackers were identicals, one attributed to Sherry, and the other thought to be part of a trap set up by Akai). If he exposes himself prematurely, it would only lead to Akai becoming even more cautious.

She could have, but it was already too late. Scar Akai has already shown itself and the FBI is already wondering if Akai could still be alive and what he's doing here.

So what would be the point in killing him, especially in a crowded place and in front of the FBI ? It would only create confusion and attract unnecessary attention. And the FBI may also be able to see the true face of Scar Akai, wondering what's going on and investigate it thoroughly. It would only make the situation even worse, not a clever move.

This, I believe if it were anyone other than Bourbon, Gin would have had him killed. Gin and the BO retreated pretty quickly after Vermouth spoke to Gin, and Gin seemed to be aware of Scar Akai's identity, so, if it were a cop in disguise or anyone who isn't Bourbon, he probably would have been shot there and then especially if he was investigating the Org, because the Org is known for not taking any chances

Gin received a direct order from the boss. The boss is very careful. Gin thought Scar Akai was the true Akai and he was going to make a mistake by ordering his execution, doing things rushaly and threatening to expose them.

On the other hand, Bourbon investigated things wisely and carefully and he was able to see Scar Akai was a fake, choosing not to intervene and asking the boss to order Gin to withdraw (and probably also to stay out of his way since Gin isn't much help and could only make things worst right now).

The boss took the wise decision and Bourbon's side, which enraged Gin (though he probably have realized at that point that Bourbon's deductions were accurate and that "Shuichi Akai" was indeed a fake/trap, considering how he acknowledged him as a great detective and, at the same time, as a bastard who only does things his own way).

I'm not sure that Gin saying "Hmph, always doing as he pleases" is a response that he would give if he found out Bourbon convinced the boss to call off that attack. Surely it's not such an unusual thing for a member of the BO to talk with the boss, even via Vermouth to do such a thing. I'm still more inclined to believe that Gin is just really irritated at Bourbon disguising as Scar Akai and his method of attracting Gin's attention like that. Scar Akai also noticed Chianti and smirked at her. Assuming Amuro is Scar Akai and an undercover cop, would he make such a bold move to an organisation who could kill him just for looking like Akai? Would he know that Bourbon would call off that attack? Could he predict that?

Although I am convinced that Bourbon is Amuro is Scar Akai, I would actually like to be surprised and find out that Bourbon is actually Sera...I doubt it though.

The logical chose, but not the wisest. As I said, either the FBI know about Akai and Bourbon would be exposed as a fake, or they don't know and he would have attracted unnecessary attention (both onto his activities and onto the possibility of Shuichi Akai being still alive). Either way, it's a dangerous move and it could only complicate his investigations, so I highly doubt he would do something that careless (especially since it was supposed to be a careful move according to Vermouth).

I still don't see how that would help him. Even if they did know something, Bourbon would still be exposed and, while the FBI won't be able to arrest him without making a scene, the same also goes for him. He won't be able to interrogate them. It's not in the BO mentality to do things rushly and to take unnecessary risks.

Having the FBI react affirmatively would immediately provide leads on where Akai might be and who his contacts are, which is better than having no idea where to begin looking. Also, just because the FBI is alerted doesn't mean they will gain a winning advantage. FBI are weakened because they are off their home turf and don't have the official backing to simply investigate, order around civilians, or wiretap as they please. Also Vermouth found out who most of them are and where they live. With all the directions the BO can strike from and the home court advantage, The FBI might not be able to protect Akai, just like they were unable to protect Rena once the BO found out where she was.

If Bourbon can convince other members of the Org the FBI are reacting to him suspiciously because they know the real Akai is alive, Bourbon has the support he needs to challenge Kir's loyalty or get more resources for his investigation. The biggest problem for Bourbon right now is lack of support according to the B=SA=AT theory. Only Vermouth is backing him because the others don't believe Akai is alive. Going solo slows down any investigation he is doing. Even if Bourbon wants to be the one to put away Akai, that doesn't preclude having a team helping too.

Therefore, having the FBI be alert to what he has done is a small price to pay for confirming Akai's presence. In addition, Bourbon's goal is not to interrogate the FBI, it's to get them to reveal to him inadvertently they know Akai is alive. (Which hasn't worked because they don't know.)

Regarding doing something dangerous, we know from Date's description of Amuro that he might be the type "to overestimate his abilities, do something stupid, and get himself killed". (807.11) That is, if you make the assumption Amuro is Scar Akai is Bourbon, Bourbon's plans involving risk to himself is not contradictory. Showing up in front of the FBI in disguise then fits with what we know, along with texting Kogoro the solution to the case revealing someone knows Kogoro's number, or shooting Conan's hostage taker through a crowd. As Amuro we have the car crash stop.

(The careful line said by Vermouth applied to ano kata's behavior btw.)

And Bourbon is still a detective. Despite what you say, he would still investigate the whole stuff before making his move. Bourbon needs to be extracareful in finding Akai's whereabouts in order to find Sherry after (since he probably thinks that Sherry and Akai are working together, considering the fact that the trackers were identicals, one attributed to Sherry, and the other thought to be part of a trap set up by Akai). If he exposes himself prematurely, it would only lead to Akai becoming even more cautious.

I never said Bourbon didn't try to investigate on the down low before taking action. After all, he did know Kogoro's cell number long before Amuro appeared at the agency. I am arguing that regardless of whatever he did before, it didn't work, so he has decided to take the more decisive step with the Akai disguise.

She could have, but it was already too late. Scar Akai has already shown itself and the FBI is already wondering if Akai could still be alive and what he's doing here.

So what would be the point in killing him, especially in a crowded place and in front of the FBI ? It would only create confusion and attract unnecessary attention. And the FBI may also be able to see the true face of Scar Akai, wondering what's going on and investigate it thoroughly. It would only make the situation even worse, not a clever move.

The BO tends not to like people investigating them, so the point would be to get rid of a threat. They were already prepared to kill someone is a crowded place in front of the FBI to begin with. Your explanation implies that SeraBourbon and Scar Akai are not on the same side, yet SeraBourbon somehow has perfect knowledge of Scar Akai's true intentions and goals. How did that happen?

Another major hole in your theory is that there isn't a clear reason why Scar Akai would be acting the way he is. So he wants the FBI to think Akai is alive. Why? Why is he doing it a certain way which is very public, rather than more privately? Who does he work for? What are the benefits? What does he know about the FBI and the Org? These are the kinds of things that Gosho typically drops lots of clues about during an arc. We had Kir's CIA and father legacy, Eisuke's sister, Jodie, James, and Akai's FBI, apples, and their pictures of Vermouth's pictures, Vermouth's dartboard and letters... Gosho provides these sorts of clues starting early on in the arc. This is it, so there should be a consistent and convincing explanation for all the above mentioned questions.

Also Haibara sensing and then turning to look at Scar Akai with a terrified face.

• Upvote 1

Although I am convinced that Bourbon is Amuro is Scar Akai, I would actually like to be surprised and find out that Bourbon is actually Sera...I doubt it though.

Well, I have considered both possibilities and compared the result of their investigations (which is very interesting since they began on equal terms and that there is a huge difference of results between the two of them).

And, for me, I think Masumi Sera is Bourbon. I can't make much sense of Tooru Amuro being Bourbon.

Masumi Sera:

-She suspects that Conan is Shinichi.

-She has investigated Haibara but, not suspecting that she was Sherry at that time, she deleted her picture.

-She has met Scar Akai (which investigates her, suspecting she could be Bourbon).

-She suspects that there is more to Subaru Okiya than the eyes can meet.

-She was able to deduce that Subaru wore a wig and that he has a woman accomplice.

-Finally, she has seen the picture of her target, Sherry. According to the circumstances of her appearance, she could have made the connection with Haibara.

Having completed her investigation and found her target, she contacts Vermouth, ready to take action.

Tooru Amuro/Scar Akai:

-He suspected Jodie and Camel could know something about Akai's whereabouts. He didn't find anything.

-He became Mouri's apprentice to find out more informations. Later, to find out more informations on "something", he hacked his computer.

-He was surprised to see Sera involved with Conan and, from that point on, he investigated her, suspecting she might know something about Akai's whereabouts.

-Finally, he finds Sherry's picture by pirating Mouri's computer.

Having found his target, he contacts Vermouth, ready to take action.

Having the FBI react affirmatively would immediately provide leads on where Akai might be and who his contacts are, which is better than having no idea where to begin looking.

Somehow, I don't see how that'll provide him much leads just from judging their reactions.

As for Amuro not having any other lead to start his investigation from, then what about sera ? They began their respective investigations on equal term and Sera has gathered much more information than he did without doing the risky stuff.

Also Vermouth found out who most of them are and where they live.

Huh ?

I really don't think that Jodie would live in the same appartment than before. And I'm seriously doubting that the BO could do that much either (if they could, they would have already take down the FBI since they had such a great advantage).

If Bourbon can convince other members of the Org the FBI are reacting to him suspiciously because they know the real Akai is alive, Bourbon has the support he needs to challenge Kir's loyalty or get more resources for his investigation. The biggest problem for Bourbon right now is lack of support according to the B=SA=AT theory. Only Vermouth is backing him because the others don't believe Akai is alive. Going solo slows down any investigation he is doing. Even if Bourbon wants to be the one to put away Akai, that doesn't preclude having a team helping too.

Therefore, having the FBI be alert to what he has done is a small price to pay for confirming Akai's presence. In addition, Bourbon's goal is not to interrogate the FBI, it's to get them to reveal to him inadvertently they know Akai is alive. (Which hasn't worked because they don't know.)

I don't understand that reasoning. You say the FBI would unadvertedly reveal Akai's still alive. Ok, but after that ? Does that provides him with any lead, any location to investigate ?

That's a major hole so far, I don't see how doing that would help Bourbon to progress in his investigation, while at the same time it's a dangerous move which could be avoided (as I said, Sera has begun her investigation at equal term with Amuro, and she was able to gather much more informations than him without taking the same risks).

Regarding doing something dangerous, we know from Date's description of Amuro that he might be the type "to overestimate his abilities, do something stupid, and get himself killed". (807.11) That is, if you make the assumption Amuro is Scar Akai is Bourbon, Bourbon's plans involving risk to himself is not contradictory. Showing up in front of the FBI in disguise then fits with what we know, along with texting Kogoro the solution to the case revealing someone knows Kogoro's number, or shooting Conan's hostage taker through a crowd. As Amuro we have the car crash stop.

It could also apply to a guy who poses as "Shuichi Akai" while openly defying the FBI, taking the risk to be killed (like Akai1412 has stated), or who shoots Conan's hostage taker through a crowd.

The BO tends not to like people investigating them, so the point would be to get rid of a threat. They were already prepared to kill someone is a crowded place in front of the FBI to begin with

... thinking he was Shuichi Akai.

Your explanation implies that SeraBourbon and Scar Akai are not on the same side, yet SeraBourbon somehow has perfect knowledge of Scar Akai's true intentions and goals. How did that happen?

I didn't say she has perfect knowledge, I said she was able to deduce it was a trap and that Scar Akai was a bait and a fake.

You asked me about Vermouth's presence. My explanation is the following: the bait worked at first and, like Subaru Okiya, Masumi Sera investigated it under a disguise provided by Vermouth (she would have find the place the same way than Gin and she would have make sure that Vermouth was around and would be able to provide her with a disguise right when Scar Akai would be spotted).

Then like Subaru Okiya, Masumi would have been able to determine that Scar Akai was a fake, thus understanding the trap.

Of course, Gosho Aoyama wouldn't reveal that Sera's character, which wasn't not properly introduced yet at that time, would already have been secretly on the spot.

Another major hole in your theory is that there isn't a clear reason why Scar Akai would be acting the way he is. So he wants the FBI to think Akai is alive. Why? Why is he doing it a certain way which is very public, rather than more privately? Who does he work for? What are the benefits? What does he know about the FBI and the Org? These are the kinds of things that Gosho typically drops lots of clues about during an arc. We had Kir's CIA and father legacy, Eisuke's sister, Jodie, James, and Akai's FBI, apples, and their pictures of Vermouth's pictures, Vermouth's dartboard and letters... Gosho provides these sorts of clues starting early on in the arc. This is it, so there should be a consistent and convincing explanation for all the above mentioned questions.

As for the clues, Gosho Aoyama has already revealed a major one by exposing Amuro's connection to the japanese police force.

My guess if the following:

Tooru Amuro's target is Bourbon and he takes the Scar Akai persona to lure him to him.

Later, upon meeting Sera (who he has previously met somewhere according to his surprise to see her), he begins to investigate her, suspecting she might be Bourbon.

Of course, the japanese police force would have some benefits to stop Bourbon since he's a member of a criminal organization operating in Japan. Where is the major hole in that ?

As for the clues, Gosho Aoyama has already revealed a major one by exposing Amuro's connection to the japanese police force.

I haven't read any theories about Amuro yet. But, my assumption about him is like this. BTW, I'm with the Bourbon=Scar Akai=Amuro Tooru theory.

After Amuro completed his study and training in the police academy, he is on his way to become an officer. But an unexpected, tragic event that involved Akai (and another character that is special to Amuro and Akai might have offended/encountered) could have changed the decision of Amuro, choosing to join the Black Organization. I assume that my theory is plausible with the event happening after Akai, who disguised as Moroboshi Dai, was exposed to be an FBI agent infiltrating the BO. If Amuro wants to get revenge on Akai, it is possible that he will join BO and kill him.

Although some plot holes in my theory are why is the need for Amuro to join BO just to exact revenge with Akai and who is the character that might be involved in their 'rivalry'.

Tooru Amuro's target is Bourbon and he takes the Scar Akai persona to lure him to him.

This tactic would be very dangerous for him and has a high chance of failure. Why would he reveal himself to the BO and wink at Chianti, who has a sniper pointed at him already. If he's confident that BO won't make a scene in a public place such a mall, wouldn't he have thought the possibility of him being tracked by the BO with his disguise?

It's just a very dangerous and high-risk tactice for him.

Of course, the japanese police force would have some benefits to stop Bourbon since he's a member of a criminal organization operating in Japan. Where is the major hole in that ?

A major hole I see in this is that BO is still unknown to the Japanese police, as what Gosho is portraying throughout the series, AS OF NOW. No signs that the Japanese police is aware of BO's existence. So, why would the police benefit from stopping Bourbon? He's just a new member of the BO. The only thing that could make the BO wary is the fact that Bourbon could reveal to the police the motives and objectives of the org, if ever he's captured alive.

P.S. SORRY for butting in to you and Chek's conversation. :-D

Well, I have considered both possibilities and compared the result of their investigations (which is very interesting since they began on equal terms and that there is a huge difference of results between the two of them).

And, for me, I think Masumi Sera is Bourbon. I can't make much sense of Tooru Amuro being Bourbon.

Masumi Sera:

-She suspects that Conan is Shinichi.

-She has investigated Haibara but, not suspecting that she was Sherry at that time, she deleted her picture.

-She has met Scar Akai (which investigates her, suspecting she could be Bourbon).

-She suspects that there is more to Subaru Okiya than the eyes can meet.

-She was able to deduce that Subaru wore a wig and that he has a woman accomplice.

-Finally, she has seen the picture of her target, Sherry. According to the circumstances of her appearance, she could have made the connection with Haibara.

Having completed her investigation and found her target, she contacts Vermouth, ready to take action.

Tooru Amuro/Scar Akai:

-He suspected Jodie and Camel could know something about Akai's whereabouts. He didn't find anything.

-He became Mouri's apprentice to find out more informations. Later, to find out more informations on "something", he hacked his computer.

-He was surprised to see Sera involved with Conan and, from that point on, he investigated her, suspecting she might know something about Akai's whereabouts.

-Finally, he finds Sherry's picture by pirating Mouri's computer.

Having found his target, he contacts Vermouth, ready to take action.

As for Amuro not having any other lead to start his investigation from, then what about sera ? They began their respective investigations on equal term and Sera has gathered much more information than he did without doing the risky stuff.

The one with the most information is not necessarily Bourbon. They were starting from different points. Sera obviously had some reason in the beginning (I'm thinking Akai's picture) to think Conan and Haibara were important to who she is searching for (for me Akai). Conan and Haibara are the key people who connect the others, (Okiya, Shinichi, Sherry, FBI) together. Amuro on the other hand was starting from the FBI who know knowing, and then Kogoro, who also knows nothing. Sera's starting position was better, so its not surprising she turned up more info.

If anything her knowledge level pegs her out to be a likely good guy: only good guys or characters who have sympathies and the right sort of personality (Vermouth) are allowed to know the secret identities of the main characters, otherwise they die (Pisco, sort-of-Akemi, sort-of-Calvados). Sera knows too much, so she will have to turn out to be a good guy, or a sympathetic villain (which would be a carbon copy of Vermouth, gender included), or she will die (which has never happened to a recurring character assuming Akai is alive as Okiya).

Huh ? I really don't think that Jodie would live in the same appartment than before. And I'm seriously doubting that the BO could do that much either (if they could, they would have already take down the FBI since they had such a great advantage).

This was mentioned in the showdown with Vermouth. If Vermouth found them once all by herself, she could probably do it again and better with a team.

I don't understand that reasoning. You say the FBI would unadvertedly reveal Akai's still alive. Ok, but after that ? Does that provides him with any lead, any location to investigate ?

That means that FBI agent's movement gets investigated. Phone records stolen, credit card records stolen, that person gets tailed, computers get hacked, houses get bugged, movement history gets investigated, people who might have seen this person get questioned, etc... Gin once mentioned about how they could definitely go through the Haido/Beika ward to look for Sherry now that her location has been narrowed down. This shows the BO can certainly conduct wide range search operations.

It could also apply to a guy who poses as "Shuichi Akai" while openly defying the FBI, taking the risk to be killed (like Akai1412 has stated), or who shoots Conan's hostage taker through a crowd.

I made this point because I was countering your assertion that Bourbon must be cautious.

I didn't say she has perfect knowledge, I said she was able to deduce it was a trap and that Scar Akai was a bait and a fake.

You asked me about Vermouth's presence. My explanation is the following: the bait worked at first and, like Subaru Okiya, Masumi Sera investigated it under a disguise provided by Vermouth (she would have find the place the same way than Gin and she would have make sure that Vermouth was around and would be able to provide her with a disguise right when Scar Akai would be spotted).

Then like Subaru Okiya, Masumi would have been able to determine that Scar Akai was a fake, thus understanding the trap.

This still doesn't explain why SeraBourbon would know what Scar Akai intended for the FBI so that she could call off Gin. So Scar Akai is laying a trap? Why not shoot him anyway? I don't see the disadvantage here. Getting rid of him would be one less problem to worry about later. In fact, Scar Akai has shown up on the train with Sera already. This means he has become a problem again and will probably make a nuisance of himself by poking around later. If he is related to the police like you propose later, it's worse because he might aim to protect Sherry. If Gin had killed Scar Akai then, there wouldn't be this problem now. SeraBourbon's judgment in calling off Gin was really bad then, perhaps uncharacteristically so for someone who is supposed to be a Sherlock Holmes according to Gin. Shooting Scar Akai would probably disrupt whatever "trap" he was trying to set, because not many groups would set a trap involving one of their own guys being a sacrificial kill.

As for the clues, Gosho Aoyama has already revealed a major one by exposing Amuro's connection to the japanese police force. My guess if the following: Tooru Amuro's target is Bourbon and he takes the Scar Akai persona to lure him to him. Later, upon meeting Sera (who he has previously met somewhere according to his surprise to see her), he begins to investigate her, suspecting she might be Bourbon. Of course, the japanese police force would have some benefits to stop Bourbon since he's a member of a criminal organization operating in Japan. Where is the major hole in that ?

The modus operandi makes no sense for the police or anyone "good affiliated".

For the police end, appearing in front of the FBI is questionable. If the police knew about the FBI and that they were conducting an illegal investigation in Japan with guns and all, it would get reported and the Japanese government would toss the FBI out. There is also the problem of the Japanese law enforcement apparently knowing nothing about the Org because they have made zero moves and given zero indication of knowing. How did the police know about the FBI and Org's showdown and that a murdered guy in a Chevy at Raiha pass whose face was mostly destroyed was especially important or even relevant to the Org and FBI? Making a convincing mask using a burnt body as a model is also a little hard to believe, so where did they get the current high def Akai pictures needed?

On a more general note, the police or any good law enforcement types would not place someone a criminal organization was trying to kill in crowd of people, especially since there was a legitimate risk of civilian casualties because of the snipers. Also they would be using one of their own guys as sniper bait which makes no sense.

One important thing to consider about Amuro is why he went out of contact with his close friend Date. If Amuro was still in law enforcement and the good guy side, even if he couldn't tell Date what he was doing exactly, there would be no need for the complete cutoff. If Amuro went into the Black Org which generally doesn't like police, cutting Date off for his own safety makes sense.

Also Haibara getting what looks like a patented Black Organization reaction to Scar Akai in 818.

Although some plot holes in my theory are why is the need for Amuro to join BO just to exact revenge with Akai and who is the character that might be involved in their 'rivalry'.

I'm blaming love triangle involving Akemi right now for this; Akai stole Akemi from Amuro at the start of his infiltration and then got her in serious trouble when Akai was proven to be a traitor. It was worse because Akemi was still loyal to Akai anyway because she loved him. No evidence, but it could happen.
  • Upvote 1

It seems the who is Bourbon topic is still rather heated.

Sera.

Subaru.

Amuro.

Quite interesting.

Those who know it, has anyone ever got the feel I did, as this all strongly reminds me of this:

http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Yatagarasu

Complexity is near the same.Hints were given to 3 people as suspects.In the end all 3 were working together with 1 of them having betrayed them since the beginning, even changing their look.

Just thought I shout out this possibility.

As in:

Bourbon = All 3 yet one of them is infiltrating the BO.

Very reason why we were shown all 3 answering their phones when Vermouth called Bourbon.

As said, just a thought, so don't bash me.

There is one thing that singles out Amuro to be Bourbon in the latest file. Vermouth says that Bourbon found out that Shiho was hiding in the Gunma hills and the BO, trusting this info , have laid a plan to catch Sherry. If Bourbon is Sera, then she would have notified the BO long before this as she has been suspecting Haibara for a long time now. Same goes for Okiya, only that he has more proof on this matter. The person left is Amuro. He hasn't bothered about Haibara one bit so far, he seems to be clueless about Conan being more intelligent for his age. He wouldn't have a tiniest idea that Shiho may be living as a kid. So, when he snuck into Kogoro's office and checked his computer, he was surprised to see Shiho in the video sent by Mitsuhiko, zoomed into the ring and contacted the BO without further delay.

• Upvote 3

Any chances Bourbon could be undercover like Kir? I got reason why I think that way, let's say, Kir already got B.O. attention as spy and order to kill Akai as to gain trust. CIA is likely already in Japan, and figure out they can't send in Kir alone, they know the risk of spy is likely anytime exposed. And also, let's see this way; if all CIA filled with males and females, they will worry because Kir is no longer news broadcaster, and already figure out something has happen, what's the most likely their next move? Send someone in as to get B.O. attention to person before thinking of Kir. We keep doubting Bourbon is greatest threat, but if greatest ally? This could lead to climax and before volume hit 100, we bound to see more B.O. come to end if one of FBI or CIA has finally gone into heart of matter bringing down organization for real.

Any chances Bourbon could be undercover like Kir? I got reason why I think that way, let's say, Kir already got B.O. attention as spy and order to kill Akai as to gain trust. CIA is likely already in Japan, and figure out they can't send in Kir alone, they know the risk of spy is likely anytime exposed. And also, let's see this way; if all CIA filled with males and females, they will worry because Kir is no longer news broadcaster, and already figure out something has happen, what's the most likely their next move? Send someone in as to get B.O. attention to person before thinking of Kir. We keep doubting Bourbon is greatest threat, but if greatest ally? This could lead to climax and before volume hit 100, we bound to see more B.O. come to end if one of FBI or CIA has finally gone into heart of matter bringing down organization for real.

If that's the case, can you explain why Kir warned Jodie about Bourbon and made it sound like he was a threat? I think the CIA would tell Kir if they sent a back up for her. Also, why would he tell the BO that Sherry is on that train and let them set up traps for her? Does he not value life? I think you got this idea from Gin calling Bourbon secretive but that isn't a good reason.