Detective Conan World
conankoibito

What was the recent Anime you watched?

On 7/7/2017 at 5:33 AM, machine said:

My favorite yuri manga got a little 5min OVA-like thing 2-ish months ago! It's called Kase-san and Morning Glories and it's on Youtube (there's no voice acting so you can watch it without subs) It's basically just a collage of certain scenes from several different chapters in the manga, so don't expect anything other than shallow fluff with zero context, but it's very nice fluff nonetheless imo tumblr_m42rkciWcq1r58lid.png

New Kase-san anime project in the works for next year.  It could just be another music video, but maybe it's a full series?

On 9/7/2017 at 11:37 PM, Akazora said:

New Kase-san anime project in the works for next year.  It could just be another music video, but maybe it's a full series?

I heard about that! A while ago I saw a rumor floating around that the OVA was a 'test' to see if there was any interest in a full series eventually being animated. When I tried looking into it I couldn't find anything, but considering an additional project was announced, maybe there was some truth to it..? Regardless, it's still exciting news c:

And I noticed you were watching LoGH a few weeks ago; did you like it? does it live up to the hype?

On 9/16/2017 at 11:23 PM, machine said:

And I noticed you were watching LoGH a few weeks ago; did you like it? does it live up to the hype?

I liked it quite a lot!  I wouldn't say it exceeded my expectations, but my expectations were pretty high going into it so the fact that I walked away satisfied and not feeling like I was fooled by anime elitists into investing 110 episodes of my life into something I wasn't enjoying is actually quite impressive.

LoGH has an interesting style.  It's kinda how I'd always imagined a factually accurate anime about some historical time period to be.  There's a massive cast of characters and a huge focus on politics, and a narrator that often sets up the scenes and covers necessary backstory.  It's definitely the best portrayal of political conflict and of political systems I've seen in an anime ever, so if you're tired of the "adults are hilariously incompetent and just so happen to be running the government in an overtly evil way" trope you're in for a treat.  Though I wouldn't say the exploration of moral and political themes is super deep or complex, at the very least it doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewers.  Also, I like how they handle the space fights.  Most other shows have the main characters be soldiers or warriors in an army, and most of the war scenes boil down to two armies charging at each other, the hero fighting through fodder to build up hype, the hero confronting his destined rival or the big baddie, the two having an isolated one-on-one fight in the midst of the general fighting, and the result of their fight resulting in the end of the battle.  In LoGH the main characters are commanders of giant space fleets, so conflict involves outmaneuvering the opponent, flanking, tactical retreats, positioning, managing supplies and resources, reorganizing the fleet's formation, deception, and dealing with battles of attrition.  This allows for interesting dynamics, as characters on either side of the conflict can be resoundingly defeated but still escape with their lives, whereas a character surviving a one-on-one duel to the supposed death often has the effect of seemingly like cheap writing if handled poorly.  Also, you won't be getting any flashy action scenes, but flashy action scenes can be found in tons of other anime, so I'd say it's a fair exchange.

The music is almost exclusively a bunch of classical music that you've probably heard before.  I'm guessing this was originally meant to save on costs, but it ended up giving the anime an interesting atmosphere.  And of course, the animation and art style is typical of 1980s shows from that time period, which might turn off some modern day viewers.  You seem to have a penchant for that aesthetic so I don't think you'd mind.  If you're willing to invest the time, it definitely gets my approval.  110 episodes may seem daunting at first, but it's separated into four main arcs, each defined by their own opening and ending themes (I believe the length of each arc is 26 episodes, 26 episodes, 34 episodes, and 24 episodes, in that order).  It may be more digestible if you conceptualize it that way.

And also, they're making a remake, which you may have heard of.  The first season will be 12 episodes, while the "second season" will be 12 episodes released as 3 movies (4 episodes each movie), which should cover the same material as the first arc of the original series.  If it's successful I guess they'll make more.  While it's too early to judge, I am a bit put off by the character designs.  I guess it's understandable that they've modernized the designs for the current year, but I also don't see why they couldn't just neaten up the designs from the original, like Sunrise did with Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin?  On the other hand, the CGI space fleets actually look sick as fuck, so that's good.  At the end of the day, the visuals aren't really what make LoGH amazing, so as long as they stay true to the narrative and world building it'll probably be a decent substitute for the original.

I've rambled on long enough, so uhhh...

tl;dr yea was prett gud I guess

--

edit: @machine The Kase-san anime project confirmed to be an OVA, which is neat!

7 hours ago, Ryo said:

Inuyashiki

im see a lot of high scores for that one

i will check it out in the near future

i watched masamune-kus revenge 

i thought it was like the movie just friends

which i happened to like

but it falls short and its stretched out 

4 hours ago, Balthazar Manfredie said:

im see a lot of high scores for that one

i will check it out in the near future

i watched masamune-kus revenge 

i thought it was like the movie just friends

which i happened to like

but it falls short and its stretched out 

Yes I like it so far. 5 episodes in the anime right now. 

Started this early 80s mecha series called Aura Battler Dunbine. It's this really weird sci-fi/medieval fantasy mix that's unique and kinda interesting, but just very.... odd overall. (There's electricity, bio-mechs, and fairies all in one setting and it's a bit much...) I heard about when it looking for series similar to Zeta Gundam (Dunbine's also a Sunrise series that Tomino worked on) and was immediately convinced to watch it when I saw that the mechs are heavily inspired by insects. I'm only 5-ish ep's into it, so I don't have much of an opinion yet, but if nothing else, this is a memorable series for its setting alone. 

Also started the original Macross anime and I'm almost 10 ep's in currently. (this screencap of all things was what made me to give it a go) It hasn't explained very much yet, but despite that it manages to be enjoyable so I guess that's fine...? One really interesting though is the tone the anime has. Something serious will happen, but 2mins later characters will be cracking jokes and that shift somehow manages to not be horribly jarring. I'm not yet at the part where music gets thrown into the mix, but hopefully that'll make it only better I don't like the music/idol genre all that much tho so im kinda nervous about it tbh. . .. . . 

On 9/21/2017 at 8:48 PM, Akazora said:

I liked it quite a lot!  I wouldn't say it exceeded my expectations, but my expectations were pretty high going into it so the fact that I walked away satisfied and not feeling like I was fooled by anime elitists into investing 110 episodes of my life into something I wasn't enjoying is actually quite impressive.

LoGH has an interesting style.  It's kinda how I'd always imagined a factually accurate anime about some historical time period to be.  There's a massive cast of characters and a huge focus on politics, and a narrator that often sets up the scenes and covers necessary backstory.  It's definitely the best portrayal of political conflict and of political systems I've seen in an anime ever, so if you're tired of the "adults are hilariously incompetent and just so happen to be running the government in an overtly evil way" trope you're in for a treat.  Though I wouldn't say the exploration of moral and political themes is super deep or complex, at the very least it doesn't insult the intelligence of the viewers.  Also, I like how they handle the space fights.  Most other shows have the main characters be soldiers or warriors in an army, and most of the war scenes boil down to two armies charging at each other, the hero fighting through fodder to build up hype, the hero confronting his destined rival or the big baddie, the two having an isolated one-on-one fight in the midst of the general fighting, and the result of their fight resulting in the end of the battle.  In LoGH the main characters are commanders of giant space fleets, so conflict involves outmaneuvering the opponent, flanking, tactical retreats, positioning, managing supplies and resources, reorganizing the fleet's formation, deception, and dealing with battles of attrition.  This allows for interesting dynamics, as characters on either side of the conflict can be resoundingly defeated but still escape with their lives, whereas a character surviving a one-on-one duel to the supposed death often has the effect of seemingly like cheap writing if handled poorly.  Also, you won't be getting any flashy action scenes, but flashy action scenes can be found in tons of other anime, so I'd say it's a fair exchange.

The music is almost exclusively a bunch of classical music that you've probably heard before.  I'm guessing this was originally meant to save on costs, but it ended up giving the anime an interesting atmosphere.  And of course, the animation and art style is typical of 1980s shows from that time period, which might turn off some modern day viewers.  You seem to have a penchant for that aesthetic so I don't think you'd mind.  If you're willing to invest the time, it definitely gets my approval.  110 episodes may seem daunting at first, but it's separated into four main arcs, each defined by their own opening and ending themes (I believe the length of each arc is 26 episodes, 26 episodes, 34 episodes, and 24 episodes, in that order).  It may be more digestible if you conceptualize it that way.

And also, they're making a remake, which you may have heard of.  The first season will be 12 episodes, while the "second season" will be 12 episodes released as 3 movies (4 episodes each movie), which should cover the same material as the first arc of the original series.  If it's successful I guess they'll make more.  While it's too early to judge, I am a bit put off by the character designs.  I guess it's understandable that they've modernized the designs for the current year, but I also don't see why they couldn't just neaten up the designs from the original, like Sunrise did with Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin?  On the other hand, the CGI space fleets actually look sick as fuck, so that's good.  At the end of the day, the visuals aren't really what make LoGH amazing, so as long as they stay true to the narrative and world building it'll probably be a decent substitute for the original.

I've rambled on long enough, so uhhh...

tl;dr yea was prett gud I guess

"...will premiere in early summer 2018" so far away rip

Hopefully the Kase-san OVA will be worth the wait though! 

------------

It's good to hear that you liked it! Were there any things you disliked about LOGH though? What was your favorite part? (If it's too spoilery to say, who was your favorite character?) And IIRC there's a few other LOGH OVA's and movies in the franchise; have you seen any of those yet?
It sounds like an interesting combination of things that are uncommon in most anime. (Classical music please tell me they don't use any music from The Nutcracker, steeped in political themes, and presumably very dialogue-heavy and moves at a slower than average pace) Though you said it's the best portrayal of politics in anime that you've seen, have you watched anything that portrays political conflict in a similar fashion? On MAL a lot of people apparently feel it's similar to Code Geass, but based mostly on appearances, I have a bit of a hard time believing that, but maybe they're more alike than they initially seem...?

And slightly off topic but: just how gruesome was it overall? Assuming the post I saw was tagged correctly, a few months ago I saw a rather gorey gif from LOGH and it piqued my curiosity quite a bit since all the well-known promotional material for the series never gave off the impression it would have content like that. Similarly, do any major characters die the middle of the show? 

Also ty for breaking it down into arcs! I was considering watching LOGH back in July or August or so, but the long episode count felt overwhelming at the time, so I decided to hold off for the time being. Seeing it divided into story arcs does make it considerably less daunting though. Is one arc noticeably better or worse than the others btw? In other longer series I've watched, there's almost always an arc (or just a handful of episodes) that are generally agreed upon to be slogs to sit through, but considering LOGH's reputation, I'm wondering if it somehow manages to avoid that problem.
And to digress slightly, just how much of the show takes place outside of battles and strategy meetings? Perhaps worded better, is any time spent on almost slice of life-like situations? In sci-fi series, scenes that show the characters out of combat and just socializing with each other are really interesting to watch imo, so I'm curious to know if they made time for anything like that. 

I remembering hearing about a remake a long time ago, but I had no idea its air date was coming up so soon. (it's gonna be a tv series and not an OVA right...?) It's interesting they're only going to be adapting the first arc instead of remaking the whole tv series at once though. That way of dividing the content up into both episodes and movies is a bit weird too, but maybe it just sounds awkward on paper and will actually work out well..? And assuming you're correct about them waiting to see how the first remake's received before remaking the rest of the series, I wonder what would happened if the first arc flopped...

And you probably don't care buutttt: The reason the character designs for the Gundam The Origin OVA look so cohesive with the original character designs is because the mangaka of the Gundam The Origin manga is the same guy who did the character designs for the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime. The Origin's also not a remake, but rather a retelling of the original Gundam with some new material added in, which is what the OVA's focusing on, so it's not most equal comparison  --But yeah the character designs for the remake were much more generic than what I was expecting... The original designs had a lot of character imo so it's kinda disappointing the new ones don't seem to have any....

On 11/11/2017 at 10:52 PM, machine said:

It's good to hear that you liked it! Were there any things you disliked about LOGH though? What was your favorite part? (If it's too spoilery to say, who was your favorite character?) And IIRC there's a few other LOGH OVA's and movies in the franchise; have you seen any of those yet?
It sounds like an interesting combination of things that are uncommon in most anime. (Classical music please tell me they don't use any music from The Nutcracker, steeped in political themes, and presumably very dialogue-heavy and moves at a slower than average pace) Though you said it's the best portrayal of politics in anime that you've seen, have you watched anything that portrays political conflict in a similar fashion? On MAL a lot of people apparently feel it's similar to Code Geass, but based mostly on appearances, I have a bit of a hard time believing that, but maybe they're more alike than they initially seem...?

And slightly off topic but: just how gruesome was it overall? Assuming the post I saw was tagged correctly, a few months ago I saw a rather gorey gif from LOGH and it piqued my curiosity quite a bit since all the well-known promotional material for the series never gave off the impression it would have content like that. Similarly, do any major characters die the middle of the show? 

Also ty for breaking it down into arcs! I was considering watching LOGH back in July or August or so, but the long episode count felt overwhelming at the time, so I decided to hold off for the time being. Seeing it divided into story arcs does make it considerably less daunting though. Is one arc noticeably better or worse than the others btw? In other longer series I've watched, there's almost always an arc (or just a handful of episodes) that are generally agreed upon to be slogs to sit through, but considering LOGH's reputation, I'm wondering if it somehow manages to avoid that problem.
And to digress slightly, just how much of the show takes place outside of battles and strategy meetings? Perhaps worded better, is any time spent on almost slice of life-like situations? In sci-fi series, scenes that show the characters out of combat and just socializing with each other are really interesting to watch imo, so I'm curious to know if they made time for anything like that. 

I remembering hearing about a remake a long time ago, but I had no idea its air date was coming up so soon. (it's gonna be a tv series and not an OVA right...?) It's interesting they're only going to be adapting the first arc instead of remaking the whole tv series at once though. That way of dividing the content up into both episodes and movies is a bit weird too, but maybe it just sounds awkward on paper and will actually work out well..? And assuming you're correct about them waiting to see how the first remake's received before remaking the rest of the series, I wonder what would happened if the first arc flopped...

And you probably don't care buutttt: The reason the character designs for the Gundam The Origin OVA look so cohesive with the original character designs is because the mangaka of the Gundam The Origin manga is the same guy who did the character designs for the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime. The Origin's also not a remake, but rather a retelling of the original Gundam with some new material added in, which is what the OVA's focusing on, so it's not most equal comparison  --But yeah the character designs for the remake were much more generic than what I was expecting... The original designs had a lot of character imo so it's kinda disappointing the new ones don't seem to have any....

Hmm, I don't know if I'd say I have any favorite parts, and the ones that stick out in my mind are too spoilery to share.  But my favorite character by far is Yang Wen-li, honorable mentions going to Oskar von Reuenthal, Julian Minci, and Katerose von Kreutzer.  I have favorable opinions of just about every character, and at the very least like all of them for their roll and the dynamic they brought to the series.  Also, I'm aware of those OVAs and movies, but I was so burnt out from binging the whole of the series as it was, and with school coming up I decided to defer those for later.  If I ever get an LoGH itch, I'll see if any of those OVAs or movies are worth checking out.

There are two things about the anime that I didn't really like.  The first is that the directing can be really flat sometimes.  Things move at an almost robotic-like speed, which is nice since the plot is constantly moving forward, but at the same time I wish the anime would just slow down and make things more "dramatic" when it's appropriate to.  I understand that with a limited musical score it's difficult to draw out certain tense moments, but sometimes it feels like scenes just transition to the next without any sense of artist storytelling.  It's probably hard to imagine what I mean, but it's like having someone with a monotone voice read a poem.  Obviously it's not good to have someone super over-the-top milk every line like it's the most emotionally riveting thing ever, as that would be unnecessarily cringey, but some artistic liberty in the delivery wouldn't hurt.  The second thing I didn't like was that the narrator would strait-up spoil later scenes in the anime.  The narrator tells the story from a future perspective, like a historian telling a "legend" from years gone by, which adds to the documentary-like aesthetic, but sometimes he insinuates things too obviously.  It's good to weave foreshadowing into the narrative naturally, to give people "aha!" moments when they rewatch it, but to have the narrator say certain things so on-the-nose just detracts kills the mood.  This seemed to be a problem more so in the later parts of the anime than the beginning.

Hah, I don't believe I heard any portions from The Nutcracker, otherwise I would have surely remembered.  The thing is, I don't actually think I've actually ever watched any anything that handles politics quite like LoGH, though I guess Game of Thrones comes sorta close?  LoGH in the broadest sense is an exploration of the conflict between two entities, the authoritarian Galactic Empire and the democratic Free Planets Alliance.  That backdrop may seem corny, but the show doesn't make a strawman out of either.  Both sides are presented with their benefits and flaws, such as the corruptibility of democracy and the efficiency of central control, which sets it apart from other things I've watched.  GoT is similar-ish, but doesn't put politics as a literary theme in the spotlight in the way that LoGH does.  If you ever watch LoGH (since I believe you've already seen at least some of GoT), you'll know what I mean when I say they're similar but still markedly different in ways.

I haven't watched Code Geass in years, so I only vaguely remember it.  This was back during the days I watched anime almost exclusively for the cute anime girls, so my judgement of the show boils down to "it was fun I guess and Kallen is best girl."  I can kinda see the similarities though.  From what I remember, Lelouch in Code Geass is trying to change a corrupt authoritarian regime from the inside out, a regime that's at war with a rebel faction.  That's similar to Reinhard von Lohengramm's aspirations in relation to the Galactic Empire, and the Free Planets Alliance that they are warring with just so happened to have been formed decades ago as a result of a rebellion.  Both are also strongly motivated by their desire to protect/save their sister (younger in Lelouch's case, and older in Reinhard's) for one reason or another.  Those are the only spoiler-free comparisons I can draw, but even then the execution and the overarching themes of the anime are drastically different.  They just seem to share the skeleton of a premise, and that's ignoring all the Geass power stuff in Code Geass and the whole of the Free Planets Alliance perspective in LoGH.

There were some violent, bloody scenes in the anime, but nothing gory or gratuitous.  Nothing too graphic, and seeing as you've found your way on this forum, it's nothing I'd think would bother you.  Those scenes were also few and far between, which is why people don't usually mention them when talking about LoGH.  As for main character deaths, there are quite a few characters that would be considered important or even main that are offed during the show.

I liked the arcs all pretty equally, and I don't think I have a favorite.  All were pretty good in their own right, though the consensus is that the first is probably the weakest since it exists to set the scene, tone, and pacing for the rest of the show.  It's not as high stakes as the other arcs, but it's not bad either.  There are definitely moments spent for "slice-of-life"-like moments, but I don't know if they're as substantial as you're looking for.  Like, there are never entire episodes devoted exclusively to the cast just chilling and being care-free.  Every episode is mostly driven by politics and war, with a couple of scenes spent developing characters in more laid-back scenarios sprinkled in there for a brief change of pace. 

I feel like the current model of how anime is made makes it difficult to have long-running shows anymore.  Aside from the shows that are already established long-runners, most new anime these days rarely get more than two-cour confirmed at a time, with the vast majority falling in the one-cour range.  Maybe it was just like this back then too, and LoGH was a freak accident, but then again I'm no anime historian.  I'm hoping the best for the show though, since I'd like to see their take on some of the later scenes, even if the character designs are really throwing me off right now.  Also, thanks for the clarification on the whole Gundam The Origin and Mobile Suit Gundam situation, that's interesting to know!  I'm not at all familiar with the Gundam series, so you'll have to forgive me for my ignorance.

On 11/25/2017 at 4:27 AM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

i have that one on my plan to watch list

i like shokugeki no soma or food wars

its so weird how much i like it

I KNOW RIGHT

it’s literally food porn personified

and every instance I eat food now feels like a meme

what is happening to me

2 hours ago, Kenzi said:

I KNOW RIGHT

it’s literally food porn personified

and every instance I eat food now feels like a meme

what is happening to me

nice to meet a fellow lover of the anime

man 

it such an over the top anime

it takes it self too serious and yet not so serious

im always hungry after watching it

or before watching it

and during it

i also compare it to yugioh gx in a way

On 11/27/2017 at 5:01 PM, Balthazar Manfredie said:

nice to meet a fellow lover of the anime

man 

it such an over the top anime

it takes it self too serious and yet not so serious

im always hungry after watching it

or before watching it

and during it

i also compare it to yugioh gx in a way

I'm normally not a fan of these kinds of anime, but something about Shokugeki is just oddly... intriguing? I honestly can't put my finger on it, lol.

I think it's just the fact that they weaved the fanservice in a way that's actually purposeful. That in itself is already pretty impressive.

This show also reminds me of Detective Conan for whatever reason. I think that might be because of the way the students always divulge the secrets to their dishes and explain why their ingredients or approach overshadowed their opponent's cooking. Kinda like how Conan always explains how the culprits screwed up in their murder attempts.

I don't watch Yu-Gi-Oh but I can definitely see why you might think that, haha.

Attack on Titan is fucking dope, especially in later seasons.  I know everyone and their grandma has see the first season already, but rewatch the first season and then watch the rest.  It's my absolute favorite anime of all time.

10 hours ago, machine said:

I'm making Akazora trudge through Maison Ikkoku with me 

:''^)c we're on ep like 38 and it's just ok 

only good thing about that show is the aesthetic :'^)

On 9/23/2020 at 12:32 AM, Akazora said:

Attack on Titan is fucking dope, especially in later seasons.  I know everyone and their grandma has see the first season already, but rewatch the first season and then watch the rest.  It's my absolute favorite anime of all time.

Season 4 is gonna be FLAMES