Detective Conan World
Chekhov MacGuffin

Disappearing letters murder case (781-???)

Wakamatsu family's cases...  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who sent the note to Heiji? (can now multivote)

• The murderer of Wakamatsu Kouhei
    • The murderer of Wakamatsu Ikurou
    • Both 1 and 2 because they are the same person.
    • Wakamatsu Ikurou
    • One of the other (innocent) suspects who wants the mystery solved
    • Someone else
    • Wakamatsu Kouhei's ghost
    • An option not listed above that I will mention in the comments
    • I am not ready to vote yet
    • More than one person
    • Wakamatsu Serika (43) : Victim's wife
    • Shiina Masashige (56): Design company senior managing director
    • Fujinami Sumio (30): Design company chief designer and football head
    • Satake Yoshimi (32): Victim's Secretary
    • Yonehara Sakurako (23): Housekeeper
    • I'm not sure
  2. 2. Who was the culprit behind the poisoning of Wakamatsu Ikurou?

• Wakamatsu Serika (43) : Victim's wife
    • Someone else
    • It was an accident
    • It was really a suicide
    • More than one person
    • I'm not sure
  3. 3. Who was the culprit behind Wakamatsu Serika's death?

• Wakamatsu Ikurou (25): Kouhei's son
    • Someone else
    • She poisoned herself accidentally
    • It was really a suicide
    • More than one person
    • I'm not sure

^ Because she's the one who insisted on cutting the baumkuchen into eight pieces, and she also had access to arrange the baumkuchen pieces in such a way to make one piece look bigger than the other (Jastrow illusion).

On Serika's death, I've just read about ゲシュタルト崩壊 ("collapse of gestaltism") in 2chan - gestaltism is where you see an object as a whole rather than a collection of its constituent pieces, but when you look at that object long enough, gestaltism "collapses" and you start seeing the object as a collection of pieces, and you end up wondering about how what that object looks like. Unfortunately, there's no English version of the Wikipedia article for "collapse of gestaltism", so I don't know what the English term is, but apparently it's well known in Japan. See this Japanese YouTube video collapsing your gestaltism - this video essentially explains that, when you look at one character for a long time, you start wondering about how to write that character.

That explains a lot! The secretary also made the wife look at all those logos for a long time, so much so that the wife started doubting how to write her own name. Interesting . . .

• Upvote 1

^ Because she's the one who insisted on cutting the baumkuchen into eight pieces, and she also had access to arrange the baumkuchen pieces in such a way to make one piece look bigger than the other (Jastrow illusion).

On Serika's death, I've just read about ゲシュタルト崩壊 ("collapse of gestaltism") in 2chan - gestaltism is where you see an object as a whole rather than a collection of its constituent pieces, but when you look at that object long enough, gestaltism "collapses" and you start seeing the object as a collection of pieces, and you end up wondering about how what that object looks like. Unfortunately, there's no English version of the Wikipedia article for "collapse of gestaltism", so I don't know what the English term is, but apparently it's well known in Japan. See this Japanese YouTube video collapsing your gestaltism - this video essentially explains that, when you look at one character for a long time, you start wondering about how to write that character.

That explains a lot! The secretary also made the wife look at all those logos for a long time, so much so that the wife started doubting how to write her own name. Interesting . . .

I like that "collapse of gestaltism". I would think that it would be difficult to rely on though, especially for something as instinctual as a name.

Round three of the solution. Not much changed since the last solution. I'm leaving Kouhei's death out because that was explained to my satisfaction in the last file.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

The person who called Hattori out.

Identity of the person who called Hattori out.

Guess: Yonehara Sakurako called out Hattori

I definitely think the maid, Yonehara Sakurako, called Hattori out to the Osaka villa with the mysterious letter. She’s got the personality and the daring to call a detective out, even knowing she might be suspected of murder because of it; she is swift, indicated by her noticing Conan started speaking differently, and she was bold enough to call him out on it. She also knew Hattori was a very capable detective. The Osaka house was tidy as Kazuha had noted, yet the bathroom was not cleaned meaning she left the dying message intact. She wondered why Serika lied and told the group it would not be possible to see the crazy diamond tiles when there are some in this house. Despite the vibe she got from Serika, she then later showed Hattori the tiles anyway. She knew he hadn’t seen them yet because she was in disguise in the bathroom and saw only the girls who came in. She also wanted to stick to the investigation no matter how long it takes.

That said, I don’t think Yonehara Sakurako knows who the culprit is, only the crazy diamond trick that was used. She saw the “S”, but nothing else as she testified earlier. If Yonehara thinks it is a name, that only eliminates Ikurou. This is why she called for a detective, Hattori, instead of simply reporting the results to the Nagano police because she wanted it investigated, but no official channel would do it. That also explains why she was upset Ikurou died because he is the only person without an S name. She was also upset at Serika’s death before the letter revealing Wakamatsu’s murder was revealed.

Evaluating the rest of the people

Shiina Masashige: No particular evidence for or against

Fujinami Sumio: No particular evidence for or against

Satake Yoshimi: Wants to leave the investigation which would seem to count against her, otherwise but no particular evidence for or against

Wakamatsu Serika: Would not because she was involved with crime and is systematically destroying the tile bathrooms with renovations. She also lied about there not being another crazy diamond tile bathroom.

Wakamatsu Ikurou: Would not because he was involved with crime and implicated on the tiles.

Meaning of the cryptic messages

EYE is probably a reference to look for optical illusions. It’s probably the same with “However, there is some doubt that you will be able to properly see me when we do meet. My distorted existence is something thoughtlessly conjured up by humans such as yourself. To see me directly is a fantasy that cannot be realized.”

How the disappearing EYE trick was done

The trick for the disappearing letters is based on the “crazy diamond” illusion. The tiles are all the same although they appear to go from darker to lighter. Basically the person in the dark swapped the scratched tiles that say EYE and replaced them with plain tiles from below. The word EYE is broken up and hidden among the scratched up tiles. This takes time, 5 minutes maybe to replace each one at a time to ensure it was properly oriented in the dark, and makes eerie rustling sounds as Kazuha heard. Another, faster easier strategy would be to layer the EYE tiles on top of plain tiles, simply pull them off, rub down the area, and leave with the EYE tiles. This trick however, doesn’t explain why there are scratched tiles below the word for eye.

Honestly, this whole mysterious person tile thing seems contrived because this person would have probably failed if the girls came barging over to where this person was (which Heiji would have done), or had a flashlight, or blocked the door so the person couldn’t escape.

Serika’s murder

Murder Method

Serika licks her fingers to turn paper, so poison probably introduced to her using the broken packet of cyanide by poisoning the corner of the dictionary where she would naturally touch then lick to turn pages. The murderer would have to make sure she used the dictionary in order for the trick to work.

Abs. and JustWantAnAccount suggested two methods. Abs. pointed out the kanji in the phrase is being used in an unusual sense which results in an unexpected pronunciation, which may merit dictionary use. JustWantAnAccount suggested the phenomenon known as “collapse of gestaltism” (ゲシュタルト崩壊) Basically if you look at a particular word or character for too long out of context you start second guessing yourself about how to spell it properly. This would explain why she stopped in midstroke on the paper after looking at the character for a long time on the screen.

Murder Motive

Revenge for assisting in the murder of Wakamatsu Kouhei.

Suspect Evaluation

Guess: Satake is the murderer.

Whoever designed the phrase in question in probably the murderer. In terms of access to the dictionary, Yonehara and Satake have the best access because they live in the house. In terms of setup, it was Satake’s tasks that required Serika’s attention. She tells Serika to look at some colors and fonts requiring the use of the PC which was the only computer in that room where the poisoned dictionary was planted. Satake has the best manipulator position because she knows furthest in advance what Serika will be doing and what she will be looking at.

Shiina Masashige: Gives Serika his unique pen. He removes it from his breast pocket and she takes it with her right hand. It seems unlikely he could have poisoned her with it unless he knew Serika’s pen would be out of ink and would ask for one while he was around. I don’t think he poisoned her because the bronze pen would have shown clean spots where the cyanide was placed on it. Also since it was likely the last thing touched before getting the dictionary judging by the incomplete Waka character on the paper, if it shows no traces of cyanide it is unlikely the things she touched previously had cyanide on them.

Fujinami Sumio: Gave Serika eye drops with his right hand. Serika takes them with her right. (Revised per Abs.) He asked Sakake to switch between designs often, so it's possible he was trying to strain Serika's eyes knowing that she is susceptible to this in order to have the opportunity to loan her eye drops. The poison wasn't on or in the drops according to the police who tested them which should knock him out as a suspect.

Satake Yoshimi: Has documents awaiting the vice president’s signature and stamp. If these documents were her design/word choice, she may have calculated the kanji used in order to create a situation where Serika would use the dictionary and poison herself. I think she is the most likely person to have poisoned Serika because she has access to the dictionary and enough of a position at the company that the phrase being looked at was her choice and can control where it was looked at (the PC room).

Yonehara Sakurako: She served a whole tray of tea at once, so it would be hard to predict which cup Serika would take, and whether or not others would also take cups as well. The only technique to selectively poison a cup and be sure it was the one taken would be to offer Serika the whole tray first and position the cups so only one had its handle pointed at Serika and thus is convenient to grab. It is possible Yonhera poisoned Serika with this method, but since the police found no trace of poison on or in the cup it is unlikely.

Ikurou’s Murder

Suspect Evaluation

Poisoning the Cake:

Shiina Masashige: Couldn’t have added poison to it because the cake was uncut when the two business men delivered it and had no way of controlling how or where it was cut and who would be served what pieces.

Fujinami Sumio: Couldn’t have added poison to it because the cake was uncut when the two business men delivered it and had no way of controlling how or where it was cut and who would be served what pieces.

Satake Yoshimi: Able to have added poison and set up the Jastrow objects trick because she instructed the maid Yonehara to cut the Baumkuchen into 8 equal pieces, and Satake helped arrange the cake on the plates according to housekeeper Yonehara.

Yonehara Sakurako: Able to have added poison and set up the Jastrow objects trick because she helped arrange the cake on the plates.

Wakamatsu Serika: Couldn’t have added poison to it because she was nowhere near the cake when it was cut.

Capsule disposal in Serika’s teacup

Hattori said they all came close to the table so any one of them could have disposed the capsule in the tea in the confusion. I will assume they all had the ability to, but it is more difficult for some than others.

Shiina Masashige: Access, but started further away on the other side of the couch

Fujinami Sumio: Access, but started further away on the other side of the couch

Satake Yoshimi: Access, reasonably close to the teacup

Yonehara Sakurako: Access, reasonably close to the teacup, however, she was carrying a tray in both hands at the time.

Wakamatsu Serika: Access, closest to teacup.

Cyanide application to the doorknob

Shiina Masashige: Came after Ikurou stormed off, no access known

Fujinami Sumio: Came after Ikurou stormed off, no access known

Satake Yoshimi: Access

Yonehara Sakurako: Was out until after Heiji and friends arrived, but presumably had access because her return time wasn’t clear and she may have been able to get to room before Ikurou left.

Wakamatsu Serika: Access

Reaction to Death

Shiina Masashige: Nothing either way.

Fujinami Sumio: Contemptuous of the son

Satake Yoshimi: Nothing either way except back to business

Yonehara Sakurako: Visibly upset at the death.

Wakamatsu Serika: Unconcern at first, but then a creepy laugh like she was happy.

Murder Method and Motive

I am reasonably sure that Serika thinks she was the one who poisoned Ikurou. Poison traces were found on her shoes consistent with her dumping poison on the doorknob herself. Her thinking she poisoned him explains her not caring much about Ikurou’s death and the creepy laugh. The motive is probably Ikurou threatening Serika as explained in the letter left after Serika’s death.

Now, note I said Serika thinks she murdered Ikurou; even though she may have applied poison to his door handle intending to kill him, that was not the cyanide source that actually poisoned Ikurou, thus she was not been the one to do it. She assumed her technique was the one which got him killed thus explaining her reaction. The doorknob couldn’t have been the source of the poison because Ikurou washed and dried his hands after using the bathroom just before the baumkuchen was served, and according to Kazuha headed straight to the living room after that. If someone else poisoned Ikurou, they were probably the same person who poisoned Serika next because the methods were very similar. Also, it would make sense for someone who is avenging Wakamatsu Kouhei’s death to target both Serika and Ikurou because they were both involved in Kouhei's death.

Based on the explanation I gave for Serika’s murder, the two most likely suspects are Secretary Satake Yoshimi and housekeeper Yonehara Sakurako. Given their positions, the best available technique would be to directly poison the cake that Ikurou was going to eat.

None of the other Baumkuchen pieces were poisoned, so the culprit must have found a way to ensure Ikurou would take a certain cake slice of the two on the plate. Ikurou declared he wanted the biggest piece, but the Baumkuchen was indeed cut into 8 equally sized and identical looking pieces as the police proved. However, there is a way to make piece look bigger than the other despite being the same size: Jastrow objects. Basically, if you take two equal sized shapes approximating an eighth of an annulus and place them side by side, one looks bigger than the other.

jastrow.gif

The upper one is actually the same size as the lower although the upper shape looks bigger

Notice the configuration of the two cake slices on the plate Ikurou took cake from resembles how you would place the objects to achieve the illusion. Using this illusion, the culprit can get Ikurou to take a specific cake slice without having to poison his hand somewhere else in advance because he will think one slice is bigger than the others.

Now in terms of culprits for this murder. Secretary Satake would be the primary suspect because she instructed the maid to cut the baumkuchen into 8 equal pieces, and Satake helped arrange the cake on the plates according to housekeeper Yonehara. Shiina Masashige and Fujinami Sumio couldn’t have done it because the cake was uncut when they delivered it and had no way of controlling how or where it was cut and who would be served what pieces. Wakamatsu Serika was nowhere near the cake so she is out. Yonehara Sakurako is difficult to rule out because she was in a position to poison the specific slice of cake as well, however considering Secretary Satake was the one to make the orders about how to cut the cake and Yonehara Sakurako was upset at the death, I think she is less likely than the secretary. Also If the murderer of Serika and Ikurou are the same person, Yonehara is even less likely to be the culprit.

The motive probably revenge for the death of Kouhei.

Final suspect evaluations

Whodunnit

Guess: Satake murdered Serika and Ikurou.

Secretary Satake and Housekeeper Yonehara both had the opportunity to poison both Ikurou and Serika. Which one is it then? Personally I think Satake is the most likely one of the two. Satake took charge in the relevant murder situations and thus was able to manipulate Ikurou and Serika more than Yonehara was able to. She instructed Yonehara how to cut the cake and helped place it on plates allowing her to use the Jastrow Object illusion, and she was able to control where Serika was (the PC room) and what she would look at (Satake's papers) which would allow the dictionary to be used.

One of the clues that Satake is the murderer is that she uses only one hand to open the large and thus heavy bottle of Oolong tea. She hides the hand with the watch down and away. Cyanide cleans metal objects (remember the gathered detectives versus Kaitou Kid case) and bronze is one of those metals that cyanide affects. She looks at the watch once which is on the inside of her wrist, but then apparently doesn’t look at if afterwards to keep up with the time despite the late bus which is why she is surprised when Fujinami Sumio tells her it is 1:00 AM. After realizing there is a discoloration, she is afraid to bring her shiny watch up for people to see. The cyanide probably got there when she either hid the capsule under the watch band before applying it to the baumkuchen, from residue after applying it to the baumkuchen, or while fiddling with the dictionary poison bag. There should be traces of poison on her hand or the watch.

There are several hints against Yonehara being the murderer.

• Yonehara wondered why Serika lied and told the group it would not be possible to see a crazy diamond bathroom. This reaction implies she didn’t know Serika was in on the trick which would make it difficult to murder her. If she knew Ikurou was the one who did it via the dying message “son”, she would also know that Serika would have helped cover it up because of the suspicious orders she was given. Thus, unless she prepared a split second way to murder Serika, she wasn’t the one getting revenge on Serika.

• If Yonehara poisoned the cake and Jastrow Objects were used, unless she was trying to get caught, she wouldn’t have deliberately pointed out the Ikurou took the far cake was as that might call attention to the illusion.

• If Yonehara sent the letter to Hattori, which I think is the case, it is unlikely she knows who actually murdered Kouhei as I explained in that section. She knows the crazy diamond trick, so she knows an insider murdered Kouhei, but she doesn’t know who. She saw the “S”, but nothing else as she testified earlier. If Yonehara thinks it is a name, that only eliminates Ikurou. This is why she called for a detective, Hattori, instead of simply reporting the results to the Nagano police because she wanted it investigated, but no official channel would do it. That also explains why she was upset Ikurou died because he is the only person without an S name. If she was the murderer, she wouldn’t be upset.

Motive

Kouhei was divorced twice and Yonehara hinted that he may have had daughters. Should this be true, I bet that Satake is a daughter of Kouhei and is getting revenge on his murderers. I also think it is possible Yonehara may be a daughter as well, which inspired her to call in outside help to nail her father’s murderers.

• Upvote 2

Oh my, I got the credit for the "collapse of gestaltism" idea? The idea goes to this guy/gal on 2chan, though I do agree with his/her idea, especially because Conan seemed to be sure that an optical illusion was involved in Serika's murder.

Hmm, I thought that someone was trying to frame that Serika tried to murder Ikurou, with the whole fiasco about switching slippers in the bathroom? I dunno . . .

EDIT: *Idea hopped into my head* I wonder if Ikurou was trying to frame Serika? So that he'd end up being the CEO? Maybe he was going to brag later on about how glad he was that he'd washed his hands carefully? I wonder . . . *Hopes to be right, crosses fingers*

sorry i'm so late i've been busy,and this case is hard. So i'm not as confident on this one

Here is my thoughts

our culprit seems to hide in the shadows, in the form of deception. As of right now it seems that there were 2 murders, which technically there was. The son killed his father, because of the idea he would inherit the company, this idea was planted by the culprit. She had to know his glutinous ways, and his will to get what he wants(he is a spoiled brat). He failed kill him without notice. The House keeper came and saw him dead, and called the Wife of the victim. She gave strange and specific, instructions to the House Keeper. She had to have noticed the dying message by his head, so why didn't she tell. This is because she covered up for him, and because she doesn't seem to be the compassionate type, probably out of fear of her son in law telling everyone she embezzled the companies money, she covered for him hoping in return he covers her. I'm thinking someone implanted into her mind he knew the truth and for him to keep quiet(in other word he didn't really know). She used the crazy diamond trick to fool the police, and had him hug his father to explain the blood. Because the Mistress wouldn't kill her son, someone else did. This person used another optical illusion, they knew the cake tradition, and knew the son was a glutton. So they arranged the last two cakes in such a way the top one looked bigger than the bottom. This is because the cake is in an arch shape, and even if its equal in size, one looks bigger than the other. Thus the son took the poisoned one and died. Then dropped the empty capsule in the mistresses drink to deceive us in thinking she poisoned him, using the doorknob trick. They also switched house shoes with her. They also had to know her habits and where she kept something (say embezzled funds), took it and replaced it with poison, she probably licked her fingers to turn the page and died. She bought tea in pet bottles, before the incident happened as though she expected it. She called the detective, and was probably the presidents real daughter, the housekeeper. She is our culprit, and probably took the embezzled funds and put it in a bank, that receipt will be evidence.

sorry i'm so late i've been busy,and this case is hard. So i'm not as confident on this one

Here is my thoughts

our culprit seems to hide in the shadows, in the form of deception. As of right now it seems that there were 2 murders, which technically there was. The son killed his father, because of the idea he would inherit the company, this idea was planted by the culprit. She had to know his glutinous ways, and his will to get what he wants(he is a spoiled brat). He failed kill him without notice. The House keeper came and saw him dead, and called the Wife of the victim. She gave strange and specific, instructions to the House Keeper. She had to have noticed the dying message by his head, so why didn't she tell. This is because she covered up for him, and because she doesn't seem to be the compassionate type, probably out of fear of her son in law telling everyone she embezzled the companies money, she covered for him hoping in return he covers her. I'm thinking someone implanted into her mind he knew the truth and for him to keep quiet(in other word he didn't really know). She used the crazy diamond trick to fool the police, and had him hug his father to explain the blood. Because the Mistress wouldn't kill her son, someone else did. This person used another optical illusion, they knew the cake tradition, and knew the son was a glutton. So they arranged the last two cakes in such a way the top one looked bigger than the bottom. This is because the cake is in an arch shape, and even if its equal in size, one looks bigger than the other. Thus the son took the poisoned one and died. Then dropped the empty capsule in the mistresses drink to deceive us in thinking she poisoned him, using the doorknob trick. They also switched house shoes with her. They also had to know her habits and where she kept something (say embezzled funds), took it and replaced it with poison, she probably licked her fingers to turn the page and died. She bought tea in pet bottles, before the incident happened as though she expected it. She called the detective, and was probably the presidents real daughter, the housekeeper. She is our culprit, and probably took the embezzled funds and put it in a bank, that receipt will be evidence.

Wow DK. O_O Amazing!! :D

Here is my thoughts

Interesting. You're implicating the housekeeper, and I'm blaming the secretary. We can have a deduction showdown, East versus West! Since you're Kudo, I'll take Heiji. :wink:

If you think it's the housekeeper a number of things don't add up, I've listed a few of them below. Also @DK: What's your opinion on the letter? Who d'you think sent it and why?

Another thing I'm interested in is who was the real daughter of the first dead guy, it could be either of them or even both. I think that at least the maid is 'cause she tried to change the subject when Hattori asked her about it. However, that could be part of another possible motive.

Stuff that doesn't add up in the 'housekeeper is the culprit' solution

-The crying, why does she seem so upset over the deaths? You could say she's just good at acting, but there's been no foreshadowing of that at all which doesn't fit with how Aoyama usually does cases.

-The tea, why would she offer the tea to others when it could implicate her. Remember that Hattori and Conan only figured out the evidence for the culprit when the tea was given out, the maid didn't open hers which could suggest she has poison on her hands but like I said before: Why implicate yourself? The only other strange thing about the time with the tea was the secretary not realising her train was gone, despite the fact that she'd previously been wearing her watch and checked the time with it so it couldn't be broken. Chekhov's explanation for this (the cyanide reacted with the bronze) works the best IMO.

-If the company president always talked about how good Hattori was at deducting around the house then it'd make no sense to try and kill people while in his company.

-Also, the maid pointed towards optical illusions by showing Hattori the bathroom, what's the reason for leading them to your murder method intentionally? Really, that'd be pretty stupid and from what we've seen of her so far she's fairly sharp.

@Akakata:

This will be interesting...

So none of the boys are being suspected, huh? Only the girls...

That's 'cause in the one where the son was killed only those two could have arranged the cake into the right positions for the optical illusion (the piece further away looking bigger) to work.

-The tea, why would she offer the tea to others when it could implicate her. Remember that Hattori and Conan only figured out the evidence for the culprit when the tea was given out, the maid didn't open hers which could suggest she has poison on her hands but like I said before: Why implicate yourself? The only other strange thing about the time with the tea was the secretary not realising her train was gone, despite the fact that she'd previously been wearing her watch and checked the time with it so it couldn't be broken. Chekhov's explanation for this (the cyanide reacted with the bronze) works the best IMO.

-If the company president always talked about how good Hattori was at deducting around the house then it'd make no sense to try and kill people while in his company.

-Also, the maid pointed towards optical illusions by showing Hattori the bathroom, what's the reason for leading them to your murder method intentionally? Really, that'd be pretty stupid and from what we've seen of her so far she's fairly sharp.

If you think it's the housekeeper a number of things don't add up, I've listed a few of them below. Also @DK: What's your opinion on the letter? Who d'you think sent it and why?

Another thing I'm interested in is who was the real daughter of the first dead guy, it could be either of them or even both. I think that at least the maid is 'cause she tried to change the subject when Hattori asked her about it. However, that could be part of another possible motive.

Stuff that doesn't add up in the 'housekeeper is the culprit' solution

-The crying, why does she seem so upset over the deaths? You could say she's just good at acting, but there's been no foreshadowing of that at all which doesn't fit with how Aoyama usually does cases.

Kudo is already mentally prepared. He and I have talk about this part in other site. I also vote Yonehara, because I'm like Heiji, I guess that's reason why he keep burrowing the maid as he know she also at the scene where murder taken place in other villa. Heiji already suspicious of Yonehara for being the one who send him letter so he want to find out personally. He knows. for the bathroom, if Heiji and Conan suspect everyone is suspect, of course the maid will instinctively to co-operate as she's the first who send letter to him. why you're so quick to judge her stupid after he figure out the answer as she's the first who ask him to solve?

Yonehara and the secretary are still suspects, as they have same motive since they're likely be president's daughters. Possibility is: when all went to hall except for Yonehara and the secretary. by the time, Yonehara, Ran and Kazuha may have met. Yonehara has access when she came in to clean the room.

Okay, about the slippers, before Hattori and friends came, the people left in house is Yonehara and secretary. the slipper has switched earlier, as they know Hattori is coming. The murder has been planned. the mistress has sprinkled and thought if she switch no one will suspect her if she switch slipper. but it's switched back by using hands. because no one will knows.

there's likely to be two murderers. secretary probably suspect the maid is the daughter as well and they both personally doesn't like the son. Let's visualize the scene when she go to make tea. She's likely to use the bathroom washing hands so when she close the door in process wiping away the evidence which stain on the son's hand. And let's think of early time when Hattori and friend is on the way. The remaining people who may been to toilet which are secretary and the mistress. her madam go and proceed for her plan, put stain on her son's doorknob.

The secretary has the access to kill the son. And Yonehara has the access to kill the mistress when to clean her room. If Yonehara is president's daughter, she doesn't like her as she know step mum isn't a good girl and have reason to kill with belief the president love Yonehara's mother most. Those are high possibility Yonehara wants to revenge.

@ Sato exactly :grin:

@Stopwatch: she is a maid, they tend to put masks on to cover their true emotions. You can't be fooled by simple tears, i can fake cry. This could be used to divert suspicion. Our culprit was well prepared in setting up the illusion trick, this means this was premeditated, and set up the doorknob trick pretty early. She also had to have a close relationship with everyone in order to pull the tricks off. She had no reason to believe she would be suspected when she gains nothing from killing them, and since she was co co-operative with Heiji, even revealing the crazy diamond trick, which only leads to the Son and the mistress, not her. Like Sato said she did this on revenge. the maid did't open her bottle for a reason,and honestly was a little over confident that she pulled this off. As for the secretaries watch, she could have just lost track of time, even the other guy did. The one who was most prepared and isn't the detective is always our culprit, and to me the Maid was well prepared. I think Chek is a genius, and we both explored both culprits, but came up with different conclusions. This is why this showdown is so fun

@Sato: I think you misunderstood me with your first point. I said that 'if Sakurako was the culprit' then the action makes no sense and makes her out to be stupid, despite her being previously shown being clever. By pointing out an optical illusion she would make the others think about them for the later murders which is a bad idea if she wants to get away with them.

The rest of what you say is all hypothetical and there isn't enough information for the evidence you've used to point to either Yonehara or the secretary.

@DK: It's been said she was treated 'like a daughter' so why shouldn't she act like one? And her outburst after the son's death wasn't commented on in a way that showed the others were surprised by it (neither did anyone look shocked by it for that matter) so it can be said she probably shows her normal emotions to everyone.

And if you're saying the culprit is the one the most well prepared then that would make it more likely to be the secretary as it's in her job description and she acts very organised. She didn't have that much of a reaction to the deaths either.

@ Sato exactly :grin:

:)

@Sato: I think you misunderstood me with your first point. I said that 'if Sakurako was the culprit' then the action makes no sense and makes her out to be stupid, despite her being previously shown being clever. By pointing out an optical illusion she would make the others think about them for the later murders which is a bad idea if she wants to get away with them.

The rest of what you say is all hypothetical and there isn't enough information for the evidence you've used to point to either Yonehara or the secretary.

You've created a topic I couldn't resist any longer from staying away from case. :P I haven't done much lately until you say that (I then go and take a look at manga) I suddenly feel at home when I turn vocal here. i haven't talk much lately before I was inactive last week, last Wednesday I was busy until I burrow laptop. Yep, my say is hypothetical, I notice I have new interest in pyschology study. I usually give out deduction, but I can't do much as working day zap half out of brain energy, the rest has reserved on talks of pyschology. The work making my brain sluggish, but the case is exciting to stimulate my brain to work! I agree with Kudo, showdown is fun! You make me remember what it's like to be young!

@DK: It's been said she was treated 'like a daughter' so why shouldn't she act like one? And her outburst after the son's death wasn't commented on in a way that showed the others were surprised by it (neither did anyone look shocked by it for that matter) so it can be said she probably shows her normal emotions to everyone.

And if you're saying the culprit is the one the most well prepared then that would make it more likely to be the secretary as it's in her job description and she acts very organised. She didn't have that much of a reaction to the deaths either.

no one had reactions to the deaths, only the housekeeper , isn't that strange, not to mention she had a loud outburst for the mistress not the son. There is a reason no one else seems to react. Plus she may use emotions when its convenient to do so

This is all pretty interesting because over on the German Forums, Shiina received the most suspicion after the latest file because of the fact he opened the tea opposite of everyone else and drank the tea with his left hand.

There's a few things, Detective Kudo and Miwako Smiles, that I hope you will clear up for me.

Why did the maid send the letter to Hattori? Did she know who the culprits were at the time? Did she know at the time when she sent the letter that Hattori was going to pay a visit to the main house the night the murders happened?

Who sprinkled poison on the doorknob? What was the goal of the person doing this? Depending on your answer, would you also explain how the slippers were switched?

If Housekeeper Yonehara sprinkled the poison on the doorknob, why did she also use the Jastrow illusion trick to poison Ikurou? If so why did she point out Ikurou took the far cake piece?

How did the maid know Serika was going to use the dictionary in the Mac room, or was there another source of poison?

What did Hattori and Conan notice at the end?

This is all pretty interesting because over on the German Forums, Shiina received the most suspicion after the latest file because of the fact he opened the tea opposite of everyone else and drank the tea with his left hand.

There's a few things, Detective Kudo and Miwako Smiles, that I hope you will clear up for me.

Why did the maid send the letter to Hattori? Did she know who the culprits were at the time? Did she know at the time when she sent the letter that Hattori was going to pay a visit to the main house the night the murders happened?

Who sprinkled poison on the doorknob? What was the goal of the person doing this? Depending on your answer, would you also explain how the slippers were switched?

If Housekeeper Yonehara sprinkled the poison on the doorknob, why did she also use the Jastrow illusion trick to poison Ikurou? If so why did she point out Ikurou took the far cake piece?

How did the maid know Serika was going to use the dictionary in the Mac room, or was there another source of poison?

What did Hattori and Conan notice at the end?

I noticed that as well, but some people prefer to use their left hand for drinking, so their right hand stays warm for handshakes.

As for your questions, i was stumped on these ideas for a while before i posted my deduction. Who sent the letter to Heiji. It wouldn't be the Mistress because she made the crazy diamond illusion, and fiercely withheld info. The secretary was way to unco-operative and secretive. Shiina would have brought more cake, and Fujinami shouldn't have known of the dying message. Therefore the maid had to do it. The one who sent the letter is probably the culprit, based on how it was written. It seemed like a test to see if she could pull it off. This means the maid sent it.This person would naturally give them leads to discover the trick, and even if they did she would cover it up by killing off the mistress to make it seem as a suicide. Why did she do this, because she is a distorted existence, thoughtlessly conjoured up by humans. Did she know they were going to visit that night, probably found out right after the Mistress told her, and that's why she started making mistakes. She sprinkled the poison on the doorknob to elude herself from suspicion. This camouflaged her and made it seem as if the Mistress did this. The problem was Heiji brought friends that unveiled her trick. She already was going to use Jastrow illusion, but since Heiji was coming so soon, she had to do something. For your last question, All suspicion was on her, so she had to say something, and help them see her fake set up, this is why she dropped the poison capsule in the mistresses drink. For the dictionary in the PC room, i figure The mistress hid something there and it was replaced with poison. At the end Conan noticed the maid didn't drink her tea with everyone.

I think i answered your questions :grin:

Hmm . . . So I take it that none of you guys think that the whole "OMG you can switch your slippers in the bathroom!" thing is significant?

Meh, I dunno.

I was thinking, they make a remark. They realize they have been tricked. If the maid wish not to switch, she still can pull it off. If that's a case, two pairs can be stain the moment Hattori is on his way and Yonehara can destroy evidence before buying new similar slippers and wear it in bathroom, let the mistress take the blame. She was outside buying, with possibility she is discarding the evidence which proven irretrievable. 'what if'