Detective Conan World
Officer Kaoko

Japanese Classroom

umm... Kaoko-san, can you help me differentiate hiragana, katakana, and kanji? It's actually really confusing for me. Onegai(please)?

Il help ya.

Hiragana: Its strokes are smooth and curly

Katakana: Strokes are straight non curly

Kanji: A kanji "symbol" is a word while Hiragana and Katakana you have to combine some of the characters to make a word:

Heres an example of each:

Hiragana (a):あ

Katakana (a):ア

Kanji (means "i" or myself):吾

Katakana is used mostly for foriegn words and names.

Never thought this thread would get so important that it'd get sticky'd. All your hard work's paying off Kaoko.

No, it's thanks to you, too, Kenny. Without you, I wouldn't be able to make it xD

And not to mention, Cheesus, Tna, Stopwatch, Mohovorociv, Conankoibito, etc. and everyone else in here!

Congratz kaoko!

Hahaha. What's there to congrats about? xD

It's congratulation for all of us!

umm... Kaoko-san, can you help me differentiate hiragana, katakana, and kanji? It's actually really confusing for me. Onegai(please)?

Haha, just like Cheesus said. Hiragana is used to write native words for which there are no kanji.

Katakana are used to write foreign words and names, and the names of some Japanese companies.

Kanji are characters which were originally adopted from the Chinese. Though similarities still exist, Japanese kanji have evolved and changed differently than their Chinese counterparts, and now have forms and readings all their own.

Did it help? ;-)

Want some examples?

[/font]th_015_orz-v2.gif

d582d79f.gif! Gomenasai 154218d4.gif...

How am I suppose to remember each time you create a new user name th_116_.gif.

ANNOUNCEMENT! Everyone! Our classroom now have its Offical Site! It's still need a little more maintains and stuff... and I need to copy the lessons from the blog. The blog will also still be in use. I have no intention of removing it however... but since the site has more features and stuff, hehe 4412144b.gif... anyway, here's the screenshot of the homepage!

post-3125-0-28085800-1300829098_thumb.pn

And here's the link to the website~ http://japanese-ken.weebly.com

Cheesus! Check out this~ http://japanese-ken.weebly.com/hiragana-books.html

Beginner here. Can I join, or is your classroom full?

The more the merrier.

Hey Kaoko, I think you should put a note in your sig saying anyone can join ;).

Nice site BTW, there are a few things I'd like to talk to you about if that's okay...

Beginner here. Can I join, or is your classroom full?

No, not at all! Like Kenny said, the more the merrier! Having so many students are no threat to us, but the opposite, haha!

@Officer Kaoko ~ Kaoko-chan, how about my username and password? 098eb4a5.gif

Oh, gomen ne, Tna. I am currently very buys, but I will try to fix the problem as soon as possible...

The more the merrier.

Hey Kaoko, I think you should put a note in your sig saying anyone can join ;).

Nice site BTW, if you don't mind I think we need to talk about a few details though...

Hahaha, yeah, I guess so~ xD

And about the site, I am more than happy to discuss it with you 074.gif!

Since I know that you were busy, I didn't wish to bother you th_015_orz-v2.gif... and so I was waiting for the right time...~ :D

I guess I should do lesson 4 today...

Hiragana: Lesson 4 - 'え' [e]

100px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_E.png

Pronunciation:

'え' is pronounced 'eh' as in 'net, set, bet, etc'

Word Beginning with 'え':

1. 円 = ん (en -> yen (Japanese money))
  2. いごく (engoku -> United Kingdom)
  3. 駅 = き (eki -> station)
  4. 演劇 = んげき (engeki -> drama, play)

Strokes order:

200px-%E3%81%88-bw.png

Hiragana_%E3%81%88_stroke_order_animation.gif

The hiragana え is made with two strokes:

1. At the top, a short diagonal stroke proceeding downward and to the right.
  2. At the bottom, a stroke composed of a horizontal line, a diagonal proceeding downward and to the left, and a rightward stroke resembling a tilde (~).

Note: Same as the previous lessons, you shall write 'え' at least 50 - 100 times in your textbook (again :P). Now following the same method; after you do that, write 'あ', 'い', 'う', 'え' each after each (あ, い, う, え, あ, い, う, え, あ, い, う, え, etc.) 100 times (sorry if I'm killing you right now! But this how it should be if you want to stick it in your brain :(!).

VERY IMPORTANT: You have to echo the sound of the character each time time you write/repeat it :o .

あ、い、う、え

Wow, Japanese is similar to Chinese...which I know. Kinda. I've got pretty good Chinese, but my dad says NO, it's not good enough.

I really wanna join!

Okay, I can understand quite a few Japanese words only when you say it, and I can say a few Japanese words and sentences. I can ONLY write in ROMANJI so...

Konnichiwa!

Watashi no namae mo wa Rye desu!

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Hello!

My name is Rye.

Nice to meet you!

i'd really love to join nihonggo classes... forgot those lesson since first grade.. only thing i can remember are:

numbers 1-10

ohayou gozaimasu

outanjoubi omedetou

oyasumi

konichiwa

tadaima

itadakemasu

arigato

namida

:grin:

You in.

こにちわ げんきですか

You meant こんにちは right? Otherwise there's 5 points off your final grade, lol.

To those who asked, yes you can join. So welcome aboard Xenon Kid, Rye and Vermouth-Chan.

If you need to catch up you can do so using the archives (you could also go through this thread but that'd require more time).

http://japanese-ken.blogspot.com/p/japanese-characters.html

I will reply to the following posts after this. Thanks to Tna-chan who helped me with the examples again~ ;-)

Hiragana: Lesson 23 - ‘ね’ [ne]

100px-Japanese_Hiragana_kyokashotai_NE.png

Pronunciation:

‘ね’ is romanized 'ne'. And pronounced like ‘ney’ and/or ‘neighbor’.

Words with ‘ね’:

’’ね’ at the beginning:

1. 眠る / むる (nemuru -> sleep)
  2. 眠い / むい (nemui -> sleepy)
  3. 猫 / こ (neko -> cat)
  4. 熱 / つ (netsu -> fever)
  5. ぎ (negi -> green onion)
  6. ずみ (nezumi -> mouse)
  7. 妬ましい / たましい (netamashii -> jealous; envious)
  8. 値段 / だん (nedan -> price)
  9. 願う / がう (negau -> hope; wish; desire; request)
  10. 年 / ん (nen -> year)

‘ね’ in the middle:

1. 微熱 / びつ (binetsu -> slight fever)
  2. 中年 / ちゅん (chunen -> middle-aged)
  3. 跳ねる / はる (haneru -> to bounce; jump; hop)
  4. 居眠り / いむり (inemuri -> snooze; doze)
  5. 金持ち / かもち (kanemochi -> (rich; rich man; affluent)
  6. 記念 / きん (kinen -> memorial; commemoration)
  7. 残念 / ざんん (zannen -> shame; regret; disappointment; bad luck)
  8. 少年 / しょうん (shounen -> boy)
  9. 半円 / はんん (hannen -> semicircle)

‘ね’ at the end:

1. 胸 / む (mune -> chest)
  2. 骨 / ほ (hone -> bone)
  3. 姉 / あ (ane -> older sister)
  4. 船 / ふ (fune -> ship; boat)
  5. めが (megane -> glasses)
  6. 羽 / は (hane -> feather)
  7. 跳ね / は (hane -> splashes)
  8. 半値 / はん (hanne -> half price)
  9. 針金 / はりが (harigane -> wire)

’ね’ as a Gobi

Gobi (語尾) litteraly means ‘Language Tail’ and it simply refers to anything that comes at the end of a sentence or a word. ね is one of the two most commonly used language tail beside よ.

People usually add ね to the end of their sentence when they are looking for or expecting agreement to what they are saying. This is equivalent to say, “Right?” or “Isn’t it?”

Example:

1. あなたは賢いよね / あなたはかしこいよね (Anata wa kashikoi yo ne -> You’re pretty smart, aren’t you?)
  2. あの少女はかわいいですね / あのしょうじょはかわいいですね (Ano shoujo wa kawaii desu ne -> That little girl is cute, isn’t she?)

Stroke order:

%E3%81%AD-bw.png

Hiragana_%E3%81%AD_stroke_order_animation.gif

Note: You may mistake ぬ with ね at times since they look quite similar. Just imagine you see the character 'え' in 'ね'. And 'U' in 'ぬ'.

0a984fa7648b7a07ee1c56794f61ced11301588663_full.png

6c58ef7113ac09d258dcf087530132011301588664_full.png

When you come to one of these letters and you are stuck how the are supposed to be read or write. Remember these to take you off the trouble :-D

Task: You shall write ‘ね’ 50 - 100 times in your textbook. And remember! Memorize the shape, the stroke order, the sound, the pronunciation (echo the sound of the character each time you write it down), etc.

And after you are done with that, write ‘な’, ‘に’, ‘ぬ’, and ‘ね’ one after each repetitively (な, に, ぬ, ね, etc.) 50 times (100 if you have time).

Kaoko: Having finished with our lesson, we have a special guest for today!

And her name is...

Sumiregowa Nenenenenene!!

69507a645048d5b4ab9c69087dc79b121301586543_full.jpg

Nenene: あたしは ねねね. 菫川ねねね! It’s only three nes!

Kaoko: G-gomen 8907801.png... Sensei is a famous writer. For Nenene, her writing is everything. She began her career as a child prodigy, making her literary debut at the age of 13 and winning a prize as Japan's most promising young writer. Nenene's works sell extremely well, both in Japan and abroad, at least as long as she can keep writing them. When she is in the writing groove, Nenene works fast and intensely...

200px-NeneneSumirigawa.jpg

Nenene: Mou, Kairu.

*Walks away*

Kaoko: d582d79f.gif! Matte, Nenene-sensei 0eeeff42.gif!

I really wanna join!

Okay, I can understand quite a few Japanese words only when you say it, and I can say a few Japanese words and sentences. I can ONLY write in ROMANJI so...

Konnichiwa!

Watashi no namae mo wa Rye desu!

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!

Hello!

My name is Rye.

Nice to meet you!

Youkoso, Rye! Hajimemashite, atashi wa Kaoko desu! xD

Welcome, Rye! Nice to meet you, I am Kaoko!

i'd really love to join nihonggo classes... forgot those lesson since first grade.. only thing i can remember are:

numbers 1-10

ohayou gozaimasu

outanjoubi omedetou

oyasumi

konichiwa

tadaima

itadakemasu

arigato

namida

:grin:

Nice, good, good. That is a very useful list of vocabulary. And welcome! :-D

Konnichiwa! Mind if I join? I can understand Japanese and can speak a little... and write a little, too.

Nice. Welcome Vermouth-chan! I hope you like it here. Can you write Hiragana? :-D

Dammit T_T

Don't mind, Cheesus. Everyone makes mistakes (I do a lot)... there's no need to feel stressed about it xD

Sorry for the long absent everyone. I was kinda busy... but I should be posting the last lesson soon hopefully (not that you care anyway xD). Someone, post below me so I can post the next lesson <3