Detective Conan World
DCWolf

How Do They Write So Many Cases

Months ago I read the manga till volumes around 45 I think. But to be honest I don't actually remember much details regarding cases. It felt fun while reading however when I am done, I forget almost all of the plots. And I didn't continue because series being too long kinda bored.

Anyway, I was just wondering how are they able to create this many cases? Do you remember any similarities amongst cases? Maybe there are exact same cases where just characters and place change, maybe a few different objects or a few extra evidences but in general the same case? How do they find the inspiration for so many different cases, there has gotta be some repetitions.

For eg. in Pokemon I tried watching some of the new episodes and I saw that plots are really alike. Maybe DC is like that too but I don't remember much to compare.

What do you think?

not that I can think of. Maybe there are very few cases where same tricks were used. I think remember some cases connecting somehow later in the episodes, like a person's family/relative appears in some 200 episodes later for revenge, or something like that. but I might be wrong since I read other detective manga as well...

I think, probably Gosho works cases from facts? For example he learnt that this flower produces a kind of pollen which gives a particular kind of effect or something, and he tries to make a case out of knowing this? :P

So he could have needed to do lots of readings.

(If you realised, he is using lesser and lesser of unique facts in comparison to the beginning where he makes Conan spout all sorts of weird facts which 'he heard from tv').

Yes I remember some relatives of older episodes' characters made appearances too. And I did watch episodes 636-639 but apart from that dunno about new ones. He obviously writes cases based on stuff he experiences in his life but amazing how there are so many different ones. There should be some formula to write short mystery stories like those though.

hmmm.. now that I think about it, the murder trick is a bit similar. I think I saw 3? on Kindaichi series in DC, but it's hard to notice since the whole plot is different. I think one of them was a locked room....

Kindaichi? Which one? :V (Cant remember which episodes on DC is similar)

I've seen them in manga so.... idk. all I remember is a locked room with somehing about the floors? I don't remember since the last time I saw kindaichi was 3 years ago, I recently read some, but.... yea...

but what i'm saying is, there are cases similar, but it's hard to notice since the whole plot is different.

<OffTopic>Can you recommend me some series where the cases are handled like short mystery puzzles? In DC, it's more like an adventure, often Conan solves the cases. I'd like to see some stories where there are a few hints in the story and at the end the reader is expected to solve. When I was younger, there were 1 page long, short cartoon scripts in newspapers. I don't know if there is a special name for such puzzles but I tried looking for such things a while ago and couldn't find anything. There's usually a little hint in one of the comic frames and when you notice that the puzzle is solved.

Kindaichi is old, I hardly remember them. =_= there's Kindaichi season 1 and Kindaichi season 2....

but yea. it's not only kindaichi, there's other manga like IQ Academy, Detective Holmes, and few other Korean manga I know...

If I have the money (like Seto Kaiba), I would buy the mystery mangas and actually analyze,,,....

Same here. It's really amazing how the mystery mangas' creators create such a well researched and well thought out plot.

DC most likely recycles some of the cases and plot. There are usually only three suspects, which makes the writing of new cases a whole lot simpler. I'm guessing Gosho has it so that the plot is set in a different place, with some kind of dramatic new twist, and with a decent amount of time from when he wrote the original case. It's difficult to think of so many different ways to murder people. I really do miss the old murder cases. The ones popping up recently are more of less-thought out filler cases or cases that are only there so the reader can see the interaction between Conan and another character.

I really do miss the old murder cases. The ones popping up recently are more of less-thought out filler cases or cases that are only there so the reader can see the interaction between Conan and another character.

^ This

and Gosho has read many detective fiction, thats how he connects many cases. Other than that, i guess Talent.

I watched "The Guardian of Time's Sword" episode recently and thought of a similar case.

Here's a summary of what happens in that episode;

A time/clock obsessed old woman is having her birthday party at her mansion. She instructs lights to be turned off when she is about to blow the candles. At exactly 6pm after she blows all the clocks will chime and she wants people to listen to that in the dark. The culprit has a ?foldable umbrella (gets half sized) which has a conceiled sharp object and uses it to kill the woman in the dark after she blows. Umbrella was also opened to prevent blood spurting on him. It is tied to some string which goes outside of the window in to a well outside that is to be filled in a few days. There is a weight attached to the hand of the big clock above the window. After he kills, when it is exactly 6pm, the ring on the hand is loose and weight falls down into well pulling the umbrella inside, opening the window on the way. People think culprit ran away through window.

So here's what I though of, dunno if this was already happened in the series;

Some person is having some sort of party (birthday, some ceremony etc.) He decorated the outside of house with ornaments too, there are helium balloon packs tied to the roof on certain places. The culprit causes some black out and stabs someone(host, other guest etc.) using a table cloth as cover for blood to spurt on. The weapon was attached to a string which is tied to some of the balloons above one of the windows. The knot is tied in a way that when pulled hard enough, releases the balloons. He quickly attaches the cloth too with some hook or something and pulls the string so baloons fly away with the weapon and cloth out of the window. It is late and dark and perhaps he considers the direction of wind too, therefore when they quickly look out of the window the balloons flying wont be seen anymore. Later Conan will notice there areno or perhaps less balloons in the pack above the window and think of the trick.

So these two may seem like different cases but when you compare them together they are pretty much the same plot. Kill someone in crowd in the dark, and force the evidence out of the window/door with some kind of mechanism. Heck, the party could even take place outside where the only lights around in that area belong to the house the party is at so nobody will see anything when there's black out. And the sky is cloudy so no moonlight either.

What do you think, I believe there should be cases similar in this way.

They kidnap a bunch of Detective Story Writers! They put them all in a warehouse and make them write stories, then pick the best ones! Or just have a meeting and a writing team like ordinary boring people =3

XD I guessss :P

But I still like his frantic *trying-to-explain-why-he-knows-what-he-shouldn't* with "I heard it on tv!" XDDDD

other than that, "Uncle Kogorou told me!"

Inspector's reaction: "What is he teaching this kid?"

XD lololol