SUPPORT THE "CASE CLOSED" FRANCHISE!!!

Will you help the US Franchise?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will you help the US Franchise?

2. 2. If so, how will you do it?

• Buying all Movies
    • Buying all season box sets
    • Buying Manga (Hey, why Not?)
    • All of the Above (Even If I DO watch the english stuff online)
    • None of the Above (I don't like the US version)
  3. 3. How much have you done so far?

• Bought all or most Movies up to date
    • Bought all or most Season Box sets up to date
    • Bought all or most of the Manga Volumes
    • All of the above
    • None of the above (I don't like the US version)

Second of all, why not just watch the subbed episodes online rather than buying DVDs, just to have the option of watching the subbed episodes?

I'm going to apply this towards just about any anime or show:

1. Whenever possible, I prefer to have the show or episodes in a legal and official capacity. Now if I can't afford it for the moment or the show is unavailable in a legal capacity, then sure I'll do the online subs. Kind of like how the the dctp.ws site keeps up the manga scans until they legally become available in the US.

2. DVDs lack the loading problems had on computers from time to time. And sure while some sites do have a playlist feature, with DVDs you get to the next episode instantly (no lag).

I'm going to apply this towards just about any anime or show:

1. Whenever possible, I prefer to have the show or episodes in a legal and official capacity. Now if I can't afford it for the moment or the show is unavailable in a legal capacity, then sure I'll do the online subs. Kind of like how the the dctp.ws site keeps up the manga scans until they legally become available in the US.

2. DVDs lack the loading problems had on computers from time to time. And sure while some sites do have a playlist feature, with DVDs you get to the next episode instantly (no lag).

So are we talking about DVD vs. watching online now? Just like I thought, this discussion is leading no where. -_-

In the end, Case Closed is done for. There is even some verification on the Case Closed website by FUNimation executives. It would be better to accept the fact that it is finished than to keep your hopes up and end up being hurt in the future. I'm done talking about this.

With that said, I wasn't looking to twist your words, though my response wasn't as well worded as I hoped (and I misunderstood some of which you were saying), so whether you want to respond is your call (Not that I can force you to respond anyway), I'm going to try to clarify my stance better by going back to the first post I responded to:

For all those disappointed dub fans, you all should just stick to the subbed version. Even I started out watching the show in English. Then after the first 130 episodes, I transferred to subs (and I think it was a great decision). Not only can you get a better grasp of the whole situation of the show, but you may even learn about Japanese culture, language, history, etc. (stuff that you cannot learn in the English dub). I had a hard time adjusting to it at first, but just trust me, it will all be fine in the end.

Now going by the part I underlined, what I got from that bit is that the only way you can watch the story in it's original format is to watch it online, whereas I was arguing that the DVD sets also give you that option.

As for why it's relevant to the subject, well, several folks passed on supporting the DVD because they didn't like the English Dub. So I felt it productive to point out that the DVDs give the option to watch it in the original language, thus having something for both Dub and Sub fans, and in turn giving them the incentive to buy it.

With that said, I'm done as well.

I appreciate you for acknowledging and reinforcing your previous claims. And thanks for informing me about the benefits of the DVDs. So let's just drop it now. :)

How many times does funimation need to say that case closed is done before people accept it and move on?

They don't need to say anything... They need to show their conviction by removing the site.

How many times does funimation need to say that case closed is done before people accept it and move on?

Apparently not enough, because folks are still clinging on to the fantasy pipe dream that FUNimation still hasn't given up on the series, when FUNi clearly gave up three years ago and no one wants to admit it.

They don't need to say anything... They need to show their conviction by removing the site.

Considering they're trying to milk every cent out of those Viridian sets that they can, that won't be happening anytime soon.

Granted it's not a manga/anime and a slightly different scenario, Family Guy at the beginning of the 2000s was held in very little regard by Fox, but they gave it a DVD release regardless and the sales impressed Fox to the point that the show got a revival and for better or worse they tend to hold new animated shows to Family Guy standards.

That's an apples to oranges comparison. Family Guy getting the raw deal from FOX has become a bit of an exaggerated urban legend. The success that the show had in its first year guaranteed it a decent run (FOX will give up on shows pretty quickly, hence its reputation for so long, but if a show gets enough of a response it will hang onto it as long as it can) and the only reason why it got cancelled was because of various time slot moves that were head scratchers to most television critics at the time. I mean, seriously, who the hell tries to put ANYTHING up against the #1 show in television at the time? However, even with the slot moves, it had a pretty damn dedicated audience. Enough of a dedicated audience that it honestly could've been a fine property for Comedy Central. However, Adult Swim got the rerun rights to it for basically free on dumb luck alone. The show had enough of a cult internet audience that no matter what network was gonna air it at a time slot that STAYED IN THE SAME PLACE it was guaranteed to be a runaway hit. And that's exactly what Family Guy did was become a runaway hit. That's what almost every television critic of the time predicted would happen. In fact I would argue that Family Guy's success had less to do with the DVD sales as compared to the high ratings it got on Adult Swim. The show honestly really helped out Adult Swim, which was at that point lacking in programming.

But it helped that Family Guy already had a loyal audience in the first place. Case Closed never had that loyal audience. Case Closed never had enough of a following for Adult Swim to want to hang onto it for long enough. Case Closed never had the extremely vocal internet following like Adult Swim had. Case Closed had 20 vocal extreme fans while Family Guy had video clips posted everywhere, screenshots of funny scenes, T-shirts of various random moments, and lots and lots of forum posts littered with quotes from the series. Case Closed didn't. It was shuffled to 5 AM for a reason. That's a death slot. It also helped that FOX promoted Family Guy properly, even during the early seasons that I mentioned above. Even though the show as being moved left and right, FOX really did promote the living hell out of it until the 2001-02 season when they figured that no one was watching the show (not figuring the timeslots were the main problem here). A whopping one demographic garnered decent-to-good ratings for the show, and it wasn't the demographic that Adult Swim or FUNimation was hoping for, hence FUNimation never promoted the show properly, because they didn't WANT the 12-18 demo for the show. They wanted the 18-34 demo; the demo that doesn't actually watch Adult Swim in the first place.

And, of course, there's always the possibility that nobody wants to admit: Detective Conan may just not be a series that interests a lot of American television viewers. Adult Swim tried. FUNimation, at first, tried. They really did. No one was interested enough. Hence, FUNimation gave up on the series. It's over. Done. Turn out the lights. I've had one of the English dub VA's outright tell me that they haven't done any work on the series since 2004. Reps from FUNimation have told me that there are no future plans to dub the series. I'm sure the licensing contract is going to fun out soon. It's done. No amount of petitions in the world are gonna change that. I've seen everything from petitions to e-mails to podcasts to people begging others to buy the DVD's so that it looks like enough people give a damn about the series for it to keep going. However, we have to face reality here: Detective Conan was a tremendous disappointment in the United States, no matter what way you look at it, no matter how critically acclaimed it is, and no matter how the ratings go in Japan. It didn't have the audience. That's the way the business goes, ladies and gentlemen. FUNimation tried, and they moved on. I suggest you all do the same.

• Upvote 2

As much as I love Case Closed, we've already received official word that they're not going to do any more of the series. Here's a post on the funimation site that says as much: http://www.funimation.com/case-closed/forum/funimation-shows/and-more/case-closed/the-status-of-case-closed-updated-4212011#comment-72441

Key quotes:

"We're not going to buy anymore of the series. It just didn't sell well enough, unfortunately. There's no way we (Acquisitions) could ever convince Gen (our CEO) to get more. I absolutely adore the show, but I couldn't in good conscience ever recommend buying more. we always have to put the good of the company before our personal preferences in anime."

"Thank you very much for supporting the show, but I'd give up on ever getting to buy more at least from us. :/"

So no. No more series. There's no way they could justify it. It's a drama that's tough to market to American audiences and is over 500 episodes long -- that's way too risky. They've already put way more money into the series than they probably should have (even though it's very appreciated).

The only thing we could possibly hope for are the rest of the movies/specials (ie Conan vs Lupin III), but even then..

"We're still open to getting more movies, but nothing is in the works."

Nothing is in the works. Which breaks my heart, but there you go. I have vain hope that they'll release sub-only box sets in the future like they did with Super Gals, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Upvote 1

And, of course, there's always the possibility that nobody wants to admit: Detective Conan may just not be a series that interests a lot of American television viewers. Adult Swim tried. FUNimation, at first, tried.

Ah ah ah, let me just chime in here with what I know happened.

The series was doing extremely well on Adult Swim, unfortunately it was the completely wrong demographic, not the one they were buying ad time for (the 18-24 males). At the same time, FUNi was putting unaired episodes on DVD, which was fantastic. People were buying them, they were being carried at Target and selling out. (Yeah anyone else remember that little period of time Target was carrying anime?)

This was all back in 2004-2005 and at some point AS pulled it off the air and DVDs were the only thing out. Which caused FUNi to start putting the episodes it hadn't released yet on DVD. So fans, like me, who were waiting to see new episodes were left out in the cold until 2009. Yes it took 4 years for FUNi to finally release an episode past #83 (FUNi count) because of the singles initially sold and then the season sets.

When AS ran a poll back in 2005 of which show to put back on the air, Case Closed won a majority of the votes it was ridiculous. AS did keep their promise, but put it on at 5 in the morning and after Lupin the III. But by October of 2005, AS sold back the license to FUNi.

In all, you can see, the show was terribly mishandled. It could have done spectacularly here. That's why there are no more episodes or DVDs. The idea that American audiences just wouldn't get Case Closed is wrong. We love crime stuff, it's on every channel. The problem here is that poor advertising and mismanagement killed a perfectly profitable series.

• Upvote 1

As I understand it, one factor that hurts the series is that it's middle ground. The murder mystery aspect automatically makes it inappropriate by US Standards, but at the same time, it's not intense enough to market it as an adult show.

Now, i completely understand the fact that funimation gave up on Case Closed, but why did they do it when they did? They stopped the production at (English 130, Japanese 123). So, if they had continued production and released the next 4 episodes, they would have the billion yen robbery and the introduction of Ai Haibara sitting at the next few time slots! I just don't understand why they would bother stopping so close to these key episodes, that could bring in so many fans. The weirdest thing after that is that they dubbed movies one through six, when Ai started appearing in movie 3, so they really had a character in 4 movies that was completely skipped in the anime. I just think they should have either gave up sooner, or give Ai a chance in the english dub for a bit before stopping

In all, you can see, the show was terribly mishandled. It could have done spectacularly here. That's why there are no more episodes or DVDs. The idea that American audiences just wouldn't get Case Closed is wrong. We love crime stuff, it's on every channel. The problem here is that poor advertising and mismanagement killed a perfectly profitable series.

Amen, hallelujah. The series had so much potential to be popular in the U.S, but was put to waste in the end due to the poor advertising and mismanagement like you've stated, and believe it or not, the Americanized names had a role in the show's downfall as well (critics found it pointless to change the characters' names), which overall resulted in low ratings in America.