Detective Conan World
ranandshinichi4eva

Cliches in DC Fanfiction

Hey you guys! I want to hear your opinions about cliches in DC fanfics. Here are a few that I have noticed in a few fanfics:

1) Overdoing the shrinking thing (making a lot of people turn into little kids when the BO had no reason to go after them in the first place)

2) Ran is the damsel-in-distress

3) kogoro isn't very bright

4) Ran acting like she's okay when she finds out Conan's situation

5) Ai hating Ran and/or wanting to kill her

1. No comment

2. For almost every movie, Ran's the damsel in distress, and that's getting really predictable. People want to put what they want into fan fictions, although it just makes their fanfics a little too predictable.

3. Kogoro is like a normal human. He just can't pick up tiny bits of evidence as well as Shinichi, Heiji, Kaito or Saguru. People probably write that he isn't bright is because of his personality.

4. I totally agree with that one. For one, they took a bath together! Ran gets mad when it comes to touchy-feely stuff, right? So, why would she be okay with taking a bath with Conan. That's like bathing with Shinichi!

5. I don't think Ai would want to kill Ran. That's really weird. Ai thinks of Ran as her sister since they are alike, and she wouldn't kill Ran, because according to her, killing Ran is like killing Akemi.

This is going by my opinion, so people that write DC fanfictions, please DO NOT take this to heart, because I like to read fanfictions and if they are really good but has these cliches, I will disregard them.

5. I don't think Ai would want to kill Ran. That's really weird. Ai thinks of Ran as her sister since they are alike, and she wouldn't kill Ran, because according to her, killing Ran is like killing Akemi.

I agree with this statement 100%. What I was saying, however, is that I have seen several DC fanfics where people would write that Ai hated Ran. I remember one story where Ran was pregnant with Shinichi's child, and Ai tried to kill her because she was jealous????? IMO, it's so out of character, that sounds nothing like the Ai that's depicted in the manga or anime.

Can I point out cliches in my own fanfiction? xD I'll add why I and others use 'em too, I guess.

1- The end of the black org/the unmasking of anokata as a known/loved character. (I continue the Org as a Crooked House faction in Silence, but I wanted to give the story that conclusion that everyone hopes for whenever the baddies in black pop up. I think most fanfiction authors who use this are just impatient for an ending and want to put out their suspicions/hopes on the ending.)

2- Temporary Apotoxin cures. (I didn't want to use a permanent one, as I see it as too oft tied into the former cliche, leaving no loose ends to tie in a too convenient conclusion. I had Haibara give one begrudgingly while the other was a hidden find, but I find them to be convenient ways out for Conan/Shinichi in a lot of fanfiction situations.)

3- New Black Org members/detectives/tie-ins to known characters. OCs, basically. (Erru is one of my favorite OCs. Fiery, sarcastic, strong-willed, and generally in some way aligned with the darker side of the subject matter, I use her to give fanfictions my own twist. I stay away from Canon x OC romance, or romance in general unless it's requested by readers, hence Erru's forever alone xD A lot of 'fangirl' types use OCs as a way of fantasizing that they're with their favorite character/anime love, and others want to use a type of person who just isn't in the canon. Quite a few readers seem to steer clear of anything with OCs, but I never write without them anymore~)

4- Dark turned to light. (True, my reveal of Amuro as a police officer and former ally of Shuuichi and Erru may have been predictable, but I wanted it that way. Gin is a great character, but I couldn't see him betraying the org. to save someone or protect a 'friend.' It's awkward when characters with deep-seated mental issues or obviously ill intentions are forced to undergo a change of heart, but sometimes, with more ambiguous characters, it can be fun/rewarding. I like Bourbon's character, and wanted to use him in Silence as more than an opponent, and wanted to see what I could do with his deceitful nature. And so he's now crossdressing alongside Erru in another syndicate xD I believe a lot of writers have characters they love who are just not on the right side of the law, and to justify their affection, they portray said character as a changed person.)

5- Ran/Kogoro/Detective Boys/Ai in danger. (Quite a few people dislike some or all of these characters, and put them in danger to show them as helpless or unnecessary, or to appease their own hopes of their removal from the cast. Others want to spur Conan/Shinichi into action and use the people he loves, which also casts his enemy in a sinister light and makes you push for the detective despite what you may feel about his extensive lies regarding his identity. I used pseudo-danger, the assumption that the first two were threatened or could be, to get Shinichi to participate in what later twisted into the showdown with Anokata, which he wouldn't have reached without having gotten involved in the issue. I've seen stories in which these dangers are utilized to create a time-limit for our detective, which keeps the readers' hearts racing even throughout monologues and explanations that now serve to draw us closer to the conclusion that is definite. And a definite conclusion, which we lack from Aoyama, is irresistible to many. )

This is my experience/thought. Carry on. xD

I agree with this statement 100%. What I was saying, however, is that I have seen several DC fanfics where people would write that Ai hated Ran. I remember one story where Ran was pregnant with Shinichi's child, and Ai tried to kill her because she was jealous????? IMO, it's so out of character, that sounds nothing like the Ai that's depicted in the manga or anime.

My expression: ( ̄Д ̄)ノ

What is wrong? I think Ai would be happy for Ran, not try to kill her....

Can I point out cliches in my own fanfiction? xD I'll add why I and others use 'em too, I guess.

1- The end of the black org/the unmasking of anokata as a known/loved character. (I continue the Org as a Crooked House faction in Silence, but I wanted to give the story that conclusion that everyone hopes for whenever the baddies in black pop up. I think most fanfiction authors who use this are just impatient for an ending and want to put out their suspicions/hopes on the ending.)

2- Temporary Apotoxin cures. (I didn't want to use a permanent one, as I see it as too oft tied into the former cliche, leaving no loose ends to tie in a too convenient conclusion. I had Haibara give one begrudgingly while the other was a hidden find, but I find them to be convenient ways out for Conan/Shinichi in a lot of fanfiction situations.)

3- New Black Org members/detectives/tie-ins to known characters. OCs, basically. (Erru is one of my favorite OCs. Fiery, sarcastic, strong-willed, and generally in some way aligned with the darker side of the subject matter, I use her to give fanfictions my own twist. I stay away from Canon x OC romance, or romance in general unless it's requested by readers, hence Erru's forever alone xD A lot of 'fangirl' types use OCs as a way of fantasizing that they're with their favorite character/anime love, and others want to use a type of person who just isn't in the canon. Quite a few readers seem to steer clear of anything with OCs, but I never write without them anymore~)

4- Dark turned to light. (True, my reveal of Amuro as a police officer and former ally of Shuuichi and Erru may have been predictable, but I wanted it that way. Gin is a great character, but I couldn't see him betraying the org. to save someone or protect a 'friend.' It's awkward when characters with deep-seated mental issues or obviously ill intentions are forced to undergo a change of heart, but sometimes, with more ambiguous characters, it can be fun/rewarding. I like Bourbon's character, and wanted to use him in Silence as more than an opponent, and wanted to see what I could do with his deceitful nature. And so he's now crossdressing alongside Erru in another syndicate xD I believe a lot of writers have characters they love who are just not on the right side of the law, and to justify their affection, they portray said character as a changed person.)

5- Ran/Kogoro/Detective Boys/Ai in danger. (Quite a few people dislike some or all of these characters, and put them in danger to show them as helpless or unnecessary, or to appease their own hopes of their removal from the cast. Others want to spur Conan/Shinichi into action and use the people he loves, which also casts his enemy in a sinister light and makes you push for the detective despite what you may feel about his extensive lies regarding his identity. I used pseudo-danger, the assumption that the first two were threatened or could be, to get Shinichi to participate in what later twisted into the showdown with Anokata, which he wouldn't have reached without having gotten involved in the issue. I've seen stories in which these dangers are utilized to create a time-limit for our detective, which keeps the readers' hearts racing even throughout monologues and explanations that now serve to draw us closer to the conclusion that is definite. And a definite conclusion, which we lack from Aoyama, is irresistible to many. )

This is my experience/thought. Carry on. xD

I agree with all of those, but I would love to see Tooru turn into good. He's too cute to be bad. :blush:

My expression: ( ̄Д ̄)ノ

What is wrong? I think Ai would be happy for Ran, not try to kill her....

I agree with all of those, but I would love to see Tooru turn into good. He's too cute to be bad. :blush:

That's what I did with mine x3  

So, here's my cliches on my fanfic:

1. BO was an ex-chapter of a bigger street gang

2. My fanfic has gore on it

3. Several unique and complex plots

4. New antagonists (Which I wont reveal it here LOL) which have relation with some characters.

5. I will make some 'Alt-PoV'

6. Permanent Rivalry betwen several factions

7. I inspired some chapter of my fanfic from Hood film and gangster films

8. Gang wars and shootout included

That's what I did with mine x3

XDDDDDDDDD

4. New antagonists (Which I wont reveal it here LOL) which have relation with some characters.

Cliches? ..... Those are pretty unique to be cliches....

I've written (and vanished) fanfiction of many genre and anime/manga, and I do happen to have cliches. I'll begin with the DC ones.

1. Conan's thought process. While his dialogue is okay he will have internal conflict about being turned into a child and hiding and also a bit of dangerous kind of thrill when he uses his bow-tie to do someone's voice.

2. Insane stunts and detailed soccer movements xD (the only action ones I wrote were taken down a day or two later =3=)

3. The plot will end at a cliff hanger. LOL Not that I have written anything greater than 4 chapters lol

4. I shall be finding ways to incorporate the style of my favorite authors in my fanfics xD

5. If there is an OC, then for some damn reason you can expect their name to begin with a L or R. orz

6. Avoid lengthy paragraphs since it's pain to read them on the screen. 

All I could think of. 

Now regarding the ones stated above by ranand- oh sorry you get the idea of the name I'm a hardcore AiCon fan ^^ 

1. has too many mary sues but I have yet to find a gary stu (excluding meh) xD

2. Ran is to danger as salt is to food. 

3. That's a fact of DC but he does have his cool moments B)

4. People are lazy.

5. She has no valid reason to so I guess they are anti-Haibara. :V I once read a fic in which Ran hated Ai. But it was logical since Shinichi was dating her. Love is the getaway key for female hatred in my writing. xD

Cliches? ..... Those are pretty unique to be cliches....

My fanfic's always unique and pretty 'insane' I just forgot to add:

9. Hidemi was one of the protagonists in my 'main' fanfic

10. I crossover my fanfic with Grand Theft Auto

11. Add details in Beika, Haido and the other city

Grand Auto Theft....?

What other city?

I thought of 1 more cliche:

Conan/Shinichi almost dies at the end and Ran shouts out her confession as he dies, but then he gets better and they have this tearful reunion.

i personally like this cliche.

Those aren't cliches. All of these are unique to your fanfic. A cliche is an overused trope.

Those aren't cliches. All of these are unique to your fanfic. A cliche is an overused trope.

I believe he means he uses all of those for his fanfics a lot. Unique for others but perhaps overused for him.