Detective Conan World
Kala

Ran's too overrated

I think that kaitou should dress up as Shinichi and be with ran while conan stays as a child and falls in love with ayumi and ai can be on her own because she doesn't seem to like anyone

I think that kaitou should dress up as Shinichi and be with ran while conan stays as a child and falls in love with ayumi and ai can be on her own because she doesn't seem to like anyone

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

1). Kaitou is already with Aoko (I don't see the relationship between Kaitou and Ran--Kaitou is just a flirt in general, lol)

2). There are so many things wrong with Conan and Ayumi being together. I don't even know where to start

3). I think Conan would rather have Haibara as a friend. I like how they share a similar history, and that's why their relationship has developed so much, but Conan only sees Haibara as a "partner". It may not be the other way around, but there's no doubt that Gosho is going to pair Ran with Shinichi. I personally love Conan and Haibara the way they are. It's humorous and a nice contrast to Shinichi and Ran's relationship, which makes the show that much better

--

Relative to the actual forum topic...

I'll be honest, Ran is a bit overrated. Her karate (which is wayyy too OP) is just too unfitting for her personality. Why would someone with such a gentle personality choose karate as a hobby? I never understood that. Her karate is also surprisingly too convenient in most situations.

She also happens to be the damsel in distress in the majority of the movies (which is fine, but it has gotten really repetitive). Don't even get me started on movie 17. The scene where she was drowning and trying to "reach out" to her Shinichi, I was face palming the entire time. It was completely over-exaggerated, cliché, unnecessary, and ended up getting on my nerves. The only other one that bothered me was movie 11, but I don't want to turn this into a rambling Ran rant since I actually like her attributes most of the time.

Despite all of this, I'm still a ShinRan. Strange, isn't it?

The power of childhood friendships, lol

I suppose the best explanation for why Shinichi loves Ran is given by Shinichi himself, in Episode 101, in the flashback where Shinichi turns down Asami Uchida after the latter confesses to him:   

"Sorry Senpai...there's someone I've had feelings for since I was little. She's strong-willed and stubborn, and yet she cries easily. It's that weirdness..."

"gomen, senpai...ore, chIsai koro kara ki ni natte 'ru no ga iru 'n 'su yo. ki ga tsuyokute, ijippari de, sono kuse namidamoroi. sonna myOchikurin nano ga..."

Haibara x Conan is probably the most popular alternative pairing and I can see why fans find it appealing. There's some excellent fanfiction out there. I can't think of any other girl/woman who would be a good match for Conan. Maybe Vermouth if she was at least 10 years younger...

As for Ran being "overrated," I think I understand where you are coming from. I honestly think it would be pretty awesome if Ran got paired up with a member of the Black Organization (Bourbon being my top pick). If Ran is an "angel," as Vermouth calls her, what could be more interesting if she ended up with a demon? But there's virtually no chance of that happening, obviously. I can't see her having eyes for anyone other than her beloved Shinichi :P.   

I personally like Ran more as a character than Ai, she is more open and friendly, Ai is too secretive. I agree that Ai is an interesting character, it's just I don't think she should necessarily be paired with Conan in a romantic way, friendship is good too, and it's not because of pity for Ran being alone that I support ShinxRan. It's just I can't get emotional by watching a romantic pairing if they are not childhood friends.

Sure, she's open and friendly - unfortunately, she's also completely void of any real intellect or maturity, and lacks any real personality beyond being a walking, talking tough-love machine. When it comes down to it, she's awfully generic.

Sure, she's open and friendly - unfortunately, she's also completely void of any real intellect or maturity, and lacks any real personality beyond being a walking, talking tough-love machine. When it comes down to it, she's awfully generic.

I don't see her like that, she never did anything that would indicate her as stupid or immature. For that matter, Ai too is sometimes greatly overrated, just because she was on the Black Organization's side and then transferred to the "good guys'" side, is very secretive and has suffered much, this doesn't make her the most original or complicated character ever. And I couldn't care less about her abilities with chemicals. If there was no Ai in the series, I would still watch it, while if there was no Ran, I would be probably quickly tired of it.

I don't see her like that, she never did anything that would indicate her as stupid or immature. For that matter, Ai too is sometimes greatly overrated, just because she was on the Black Organization's side and then transferred to the "good guys'" side, is very secretive and has suffered much, this doesn't make her the most original or complicated character ever. And I couldn't care less about her abilities with chemicals. If there was no Ai in the series, I would still watch it, while if there was no Ran, I would be probably quickly tired of it.

I never said that she was stupid, nor immature. I merely claimed that she was devoid of real intellect and maturity. What this means is that she is only as intelligent/mature as Aoyama needs her to be. Unlike other characters, she can be put in any given situation and be expected to either notice or ignore clues, comprehend or dismiss arguments, and accept or question excuses. Whereas most other characters are actual personas, Ran is not - she's a role, and is appropriately lacking in definition. Aside from her martial arts ability, she is a walking, talking plot device; meant to authenticate the plot rather than participate in it.

That's a fundamental difference between the characters of Ran and Ai. Ran's purpose in the DC universe is to serve as Shinichi's main incentive to return to normal. Any pressure placed on him tends to be due to his relationship. Outside of their bond, Ran fulfills no purpose within the story. Whatever significance her role yields is founded in Shinichi.

Ai, on the other hand, is a character of her own. Consistently intelligent and appropriately opinionated, she holds a number of philosophical beliefs that add depth to her persona. Beyond that, her role is not tied to Shinichi - she was a part of the Black Organization, had her own dealings with them, and even developed the drug the series is all about. She serves as an informant, provides perspective, and presents an independent intellect that matches - if not surpasses - that of Shinichi. Not only does she fulfill a genuine purpose within the story, she functions as a direct component of it.

As for your desire for the character's inclusion - that's subjective, and largely irrelevant. I'm talking about essence, necessity, and significance, all of which can be measured through relatively objective methods.

RSP, I think you are making things too complicated. The episodes/chapters are too short for warranting such an analysis, and whatever you say I am perfectly fine with Ran as she is and I don't see her as lacking a role. If Gosho had more space, he would surely explore each character more deeply.

RSP, I think you are making things too complicated. The episodes/chapters are too short for warranting such an analysis, and whatever you say I am perfectly fine with Ran as she is and I don't see her as lacking a role. If Gosho had more space, he would surely explore each character more deeply.

How was my post in any way complicated? I made a very simple point - one character serves an independent purpose, the other does not. There was no intricate analysis, just a basic observation that anyone who has read the series should be capable of making.

[...] whatever you say I am perfectly fine with Ran as she is and I don't see her as lacking a role. If Gosho had more space, he would surely explore each character more deeply.

This is a thread about the nature of Ran's character and its merits within the series. If the best response you can come up with is "Uh, I like her," then there's not much of a point in discussing this topic with you.

The point of a discussion is to make others understand why you're taking a certain stance, so that you may offer them an alternative perspective. If all you are doing is repeating your opinion without being able to come up with a single rational argument, then there's no point in replying to me in the first place.

I am not just saying "I like her", I told you why: she is open, friendly, honest, faithful, and (as you yourself said you don't deny) not stupid nor immature. This is enough for me. Also, the childhood friendship angle is very important to me, I find it very touching.

I think Ran has a mature approach towards an unpleasant thing, such as the separation of her parents. She didn't close in herself like Haibara, she continues to live and hopes for the better.

And again, this isn't something like "Haibane Renmei", this is a detective/adventure series. As important as Ai may be, what "philosophical beliefs" are you talking about?

I'll be honest, Ran doesn't really do much to progress the series. Her sole purpose is to provide Conan a reasonable motive to revert back (obviously there are other reasons but this is the one that seems the most prevalent).

The only credible thing she has done for Conan is by using her karate to protect him. Otherwise, even though she is a main character in the series, she behaves like a typical support character.

With that said, this doesn't mean I don't like her. She still has the features of a compassionate person, which is one of her main redeeming qualities. However, this trait tends to be emphasized way more than it needs to be, making her seem like a meaningless, needy person at times (ex. movie 17, movie 11, Lupin special, etc.). I highly dislike how Gosho abuses this characteristic of hers since it makes her look overrated and unnecessary for the progression of the plot.

This is likely the main reason why many people tend to prefer Haibara's character over Ran's. Haibara bears a more complicated past and has to deal with the pressures that come from the Black Organization. It contrasts greatly with "happy-go-lucky" Ran, which we hardly feel sympathetic towards (other than during the ShinRan moments). Haibara is also the reason why there are ShinRan moments in the first place, so it ends up giving her a purpose. She's also crucial to making the permanent antidote, which is undoubtedly going to play a big role in the conclusion of the series. As for Ran, Ran might be kidnapped, but Conan will come save her, and she'll probably repay by kicking some criminal. There really isn't much else she can do--her options are extremely limited.

I have pretty bittersweet feelings about Ran, but most of my dislike is pointed towards how Gosho portrays her in the series. She had so much potential, but it was all blown off in order to give her the role of the "damsel in distress". It's a shame, really.

Ran's purpose in the DC universe is to serve as Shinichi's main incentive to return to normal. Any pressure placed on him tends to be due to his relationship. Outside of their bond, Ran fulfills no purpose within the story. Whatever significance her role yields is founded in Shinichi.

As an admitted fan of Ran Mouri, I appreciate your criticisms. The way I see it, however, there is no intrinsic purpose to the story—only intended purpose. What one would see as intrinsic purpose would only be a pattern-based illusion projected—that is to say, superimposed—onto the story by a thinking and judging entity. So Ran's (intended) purpose is whatever purpose her creator (Gosho Aoyama) intends her to have. You might say that my view is an inversion of the postmodern “death of the author” perspective.

You claim that “essence, necessity, and significance” can all be measured through “relatively objective methods.” I am highly skeptical of the notion that such values are existent, let alone measurable, at least as far as a work of fiction is concerned. Perhaps we could measure intelligence, but one runs into difficulties in this area as well.

Ai, on the other hand, is a character of her own. Consistently intelligent and appropriately opinionated, she holds a number of philosophical beliefs that add depth to her persona.

I don't recall hearing about the philosophical beliefs that you speak of. It's been years since I've watched the relevant episodes—perhaps you can jog my memory?

Beyond that, her role is not tied to Shinichi - she was a part of the Black Organization, had her own dealings with them, and even developed the drug the series is all about. She serves as an informant, provides perspective, and presents an independent intellect that matches - if not surpasses - that of Shinichi. Not only does she fulfill a genuine purpose within the story, she functions as a direct component of it.

I think that depends on how you define “genuine purpose.” For my part, I don't think there are intrinsic purposes in a story--only patterns that emerge from the convergence of various elements. 

Also, it's unclear to me that Ai’s intellect is superior to Shinichi's—or, for that matter, inferior. The two are arguably comparable, but I don't think their respective capabilities have been juxtaposed clearly enough for an accurate assessment to be made. We only see a character’s actions and reactions in a limited number of situations. One encounters the same problem in real life when one tries to conclusively weigh, measure, and compare the intellectual capabilities of individuals. The data acquired from observation is often insufficient for anything approaching a precise analysis, and so one often falls back on intuition. As a side note, Ran may be no genius, but she's far from stupid. Ordinariness in itself doesn't entail mediocrity. One might say that Ran is ordinary in the best possible sense of the word.  

This is somewhat off-topic, but given your strong opinions about the characterizations, I'd be interested in reading about your opinion of Gin, and whether the Ran x Gin pairing might have any merit. I know that you prefer Ran to be killed off, but could pairing her up with one of the villains possibly redeem her character (assuming that the difficulty of creating a credible impetus for such an unorthodox pairing can be overcome)?  

• Upvote 1

I support ShinRan and Ai is my favourite character... But Ran's character is caring and patient, I don't see how someone could hate her!

I agree she is in danger most of the time, but that doesn't count as a hole in her personality- it's done to thicken the plot of an episode. 

Yeah.., and it surprised me when I found out that so many Ran's fans hate Ai :P

Gosho made it on purpose, Ai's character and Ran's character are very different. You can love one and hate the other.

I love Ai and feel nothing against Ran. 

Ai, on the other hand, is a character of her own. Consistently intelligent and appropriately opinionated, she holds a number of philosophical beliefs that add depth to her persona.

Agree with this. I only read manga and never watch anime or movies. For being a fan in ten years, Gosho's decision for adding Ai Haibara has saved the entire series.

Ai's appearance has made DC got its top sales during 1998-2004, but decreased after Gosho dragging out the series.

Okey, to be honest. Which one did you want to buy beside Detective Conan itself? A manga with Ai Haibara full story or Ran's?

Frankly, both Ran and Ai are pretty overrated. I used to like both of them and they were rather interesting characters 10 years ago but now not so much. Ran never seems to take any initiative where as in the older episodes she actually did things of her own (be it brake the windows of cars to catch a culprit or tell a culprit that what they've done wasn't justice etc), as for Ai she's had to settle for the 4th Detective Boy role and all she does now is some co-babysitting with Conan whom she teases once in a while.

I am not just saying "I like her", I told you why: she is open, friendly, honest, faithful, and (as you yourself said you don't deny) not stupid nor immature. This is enough for me.

These are certainly very virtuous traits, but they're also very generic. A decent portion of the non-murdering characters in the series fulfill these criteria to some extent or another, and there's nothing that really sets Ran apart. As for her stupidity and maturity - like I said, she's neither stupid nor immature because both of those qualities are constantly adjustable in her case.

Also, the childhood friendship angle is very important to me, I find it very touching.

You seem to bring personal attachment up a lot, but just as you are attached to Ran or childhood friendships, so might others be attached  to Ai or troubled pasts. Your love for a character is irrelevant in a discussion regarding the character's merits within the series.

I think Ran has a mature approach towards an unpleasant thing, such as the separation of her parents. She didn't close in herself like Haibara, she continues to live and hopes for the better.

Do you really think it's adequate to compare the separation of ones parents to being born into a criminal lifestyle, orphaned at a young age, recruited into a criminal syndicate before you even hit puberty, and forced to work for your sister's killers under the threat of death?

And again, this isn't something like "Haibane Renmei", this is a detective/adventure series. As important as Ai may be, what "philosophical beliefs" are you talking about?

There are plenty of examples - on nepotism, on identity and belonging, on emotions, on appearances - but you could just her DCW Wiki page.

As an admitted fan of Ran Mouri, I appreciate your criticisms. The way I see it, however, there is no intrinsic purpose to the story—only intended purpose. What one would see as intrinsic purpose would only be a pattern-based illusion projected—that is to say, superimposed—onto the story by a thinking and judging entity. So Ran's (intended) purpose is whatever purpose her creator (Gosho Aoyama) intends her to have. You might say that my view is an inversion of the postmodern “death of the author” perspective.

I never implied any intrinsic purpose, I merely described Ran's roles in there series. The idea that any sort of fictional character yields any intrinsic purpose is inherently flawed, as the state of inherence denotes natural designation - something that this work decidedly lacks.

You argument of intention is irrelevant, as it doesn't change the fact of significance itself. That said, while your views do sound like the antithesis of Barthes' stance, I don't think they hold any ground here, as the principle just doesn't apply - it focuses on the interpretation of subtext, not plot relevance.

You claim that “essence, necessity, and significance” can all be measured through “relatively objective methods.” I am highly skeptical of the notion that such values are existent, let alone measurable, at least as far as a work of fiction is concerned. Perhaps we could measure intelligence, but one runs into difficulties in this area as well.

I don't think there's any way you could really doubt the existence of these values. Essence is realized in the discrepancy between the claims, actions, and thoughts of characters, presenting itself in the intellectual and emotional purity of a character. Necessity can be measured in the number of unique connections a character's presence within the story creates between otherwise independent entities. Finally, significance can be viewed as the number, eccentricity, and complexity of a character's intellectual/emotional contributions to the story.

I don't recall hearing about the philosophical beliefs that you speak of. It's been years since I've watched the relevant episodes—perhaps you can jog my memory?

As I mentioned above, there are plenty of examples - on nepotismon identity and belongingon emotionson appearances. Check her DCW Wiki page for more.

Also, it's unclear to me that Ai’s intellect is superior to Shinichi's—or, for that matter, inferior. The two are arguably comparable, but I don't think their respective capabilities have been juxtaposed clearly enough for an accurate assessment to be made. We only see a character’s actions and reactions in a limited number of situations. One encounters the same problem in real life when one tries to conclusively weigh, measure, and compare the intellectual capabilities of individuals. The data acquired from observation is often insufficient for anything approaching a precise analysis, and so one often falls back on intuition. As a side note, Ran may be no genius, but she's far from stupid. Ordinariness in itself doesn't entail mediocrity. One might say that Ran is ordinary in the best possible sense of the word.  

There are countless instances of Ai solving cases before Shinichi, often demonstrating a deeper understanding of the culprit's thoughts and intentions in the process. She also yields far greater knowledge over a broad range of subjects, and tends to put far more thought into matters that require serious contemplation.

The core issue underlying the organized measurement of intellect in real life is a result of the various variables in play - be it personal philosophy, education, organizational difficulty, upbringing, or local culture. These factors are either not present or not as prevalent in a work of fiction, which makes it much easier to measure established competence and/or intelligence.

As for Ran - see my reply to Hobgoblin. Ran is only ever as intelligent/mature as the situation demands. Her personality is generic and her mental faculties aren't consistent. She's not a persona, she's a plot device.

• Like 1

You argument of intention is irrelevant, as it doesn't change the fact of significance itself. That said, while your views do sound like the antithesis of Barthes' stance, I don't think they hold any ground here, as the principle just doesn't apply - it focuses on the interpretation of subtext, not plot relevance.

I don't see how it's irrelevant, as I was addressing both the question of significance and that of plot relevance. I hope to clarify below. 

I don't think there's any way you could really doubt the existence of these values. Essence is realized in the discrepancy between the claims, actions, and thoughts of characters, presenting itself in the intellectual and emotional purity of a character. Necessity can be measured in the number of unique connections a character's presence within the story creates between otherwise independent entities. Finally, significance can be viewed as the number, eccentricity, and complexity of a character's intellectual/emotional contributions to the story.

Interesting. I feel that I'd do well to carefully define most or all of the words comprising your definitions, nuance for nuance (to ensure that we are on the same wavelength, if nothing else), but for the want of time I will limit myself to these remarks: with some qualifications, I think I may be prepared to accept the "existence" of those values (as being emergent rather than independent) as you've apparently defined them, as the factors they entail (i.e., discrepancy, number, complexity) can plausibly be enumerated and weighed mathematically.

Here's the thing: I tend to view "significance," as the word is generally used, as being something that is purely subjective--as a personal experience of a thing rather than an inherent property of that thing. So when I say that a thing is important, I am usually indicating an emotional reaction to that thing: that it matters to me, that I value it, that I superimpose significance onto something that otherwise doesn't have significance.       

We can say that a certain pillar (P) of a building ( B) is objectively significant to B in that P is necessary for the structural integrity (S) of B, but even here, P is not in and of itself indispensable for S, as we could well replace P with another object that serves the same function, OR we could modify B so that it does not require the kind of support that P supplies. I can accept that there's a right and wrong way to measure significance given an agreed-upon context, criteria, and metric. However, I do not think that significance enjoys the same independence that mathematical concepts do.          

I tend to view works of art, literature, and music as Rorschach blots. There is an undeniable objective, mathematical dimension to those works (namely size, complexity, quantity, etc.), but if "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts" in this case, that is only true insofar as thinking and judging entities are perceiving patterns and interpreting them.  

Consider language itself. The letters and the words and sentences formed from those letters have no inherent meaning, only the meanings that we have been trained to assign them--the meanings that we agree to interpret them as having. The same principle applies to the lines and colors that make up a painting, or the sounds that make up a symphony. We can think of a story as a work of architecture, but I feel that the case for establishing measurements of values such as the ones you've delineated may be weaker here, as a story is more malleable than a building.   

There are countless instances of Ai solving cases before Shinichi, often demonstrating a deeper understanding of the culprit's thoughts and intentions in the process. She also yields far greater knowledge over a broad range of subjects, and tends to put far more thought into matters that require serious contemplation.

I feel your assertions are largely either questionable or news altogether, but I don't have the knowledge to contest them. I will have to go back and review the relevant files.  

Thank you for the examples of Ai's philosophical beliefs. I notice that the ones on nepotism and identity/belonging are from the films. I tend not to pay too much attention to them because they are non-canonical, but nevertheless the examples you gave are not irrelevant.

I know many people don't like Ai because she is a "danger" for Shinran couple,

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

As a ShinRan, I can say that I don't see her as a threat at all, she's my favorite character lmao don't know 'bout others though. Her fans, or more specifically the couple's fans are what are overrated lol not saying all of you are but some of you are, bashing Ran because Shinichi loves her  lololololololololololol

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL.

As a ShinRan, I can say that I don't see her as a threat at all, she's my favorite character lmao don't know 'bout others though. Her fans, or more specifically the couple's fans are what are overrated lol not saying all of you are but some of you are, bashing Ran because Shinichi loves her  lololololololololololol

I'm serious,I saw some people who doesn't like Ai because she supposedly has feelings for Conan.So instead of just hating on the Coai couple they hate Ai as a character,which is really dumb(the same thing goes for Ran,some people doesn't like her because they hate Shinran).

That's the idea I was trying to explain.

Anyway I never was a big fan of Ran or the Shinran couple,I never really find it interesting,but I don't think Ran is overrated,especially in the current chapters of the manga,there aren't many moments focused on Ran,she's barely involved in the BO plot.

I think her Karate abilities aren't really realistic,but she's a nice character,I just wish she could be more than just Shinichi's girlfriend who's waititng for him.I sometimes feel like her only role,the only character development she has is about her love for Shinichi.I personally want Ran to show more of herself without Shinichi being mentionned.

On 7/7/2013 at 5:25 PM, Kleene Onigiri said:

First thing, chemistry is reaction between molekules, which you will never be able to see. So you can't see chemistry between the two people LITERALLY :P

And yeah, there certainly is chemistry between Shinichi and Haibara, since She developed APTX and Shinichin shrunk because of that. Yep, chemistry indeed. :3

And now for a serious answer (sorry ;) ): I don't think Haibara and Conan fit together at all, because the way they think is too different.

"I don't think Haibara and Conan fit together at all, because the way they think is too different"

I don't know where you get that from. it is evident that you do not follow the plot. if ai pinna from a different way to Conan is because Conan is impulsive, Ai makes him see the reality of the situation, which is dangerous.

Ran doesn't know anything to begin with.

her ways of thinking are opposite, Ran and Shinichi are totally opposite worlds, Ran does not fit into the plot, she is there by script and the author disguises it as coherent. While Shinichiusa his speeches to convince the People, Ran is short fuse, and uses his strength to chastise and threaten.

Currently, Ai collaborates with Conan, in the last case Ai smiled for solving the case with Shinichi and helping the entity. it is obvious that they are becoming one.9-618bcf1709f04.jpg17-616a2ba7050f1.jpg

First thing, chemistry is reaction between molekules, which you will never be able to see. So you can't see chemistry between the two people LITERALLY :P

And yeah, there certainly is chemistry between Shinichi and Haibara, since She developed APTX and Shinichin shrunk because of that. Yep, chemistry indeed. :3

And now for a serious answer (sorry ;) ): I don't think Haibara and Conan fit together at all, because the way they think is too different.

I don't know where you get that from. it is evident that you do not follow the plot. If ai thinks Conan differently, it is because Conan is impulsive, Ai makes him see the reality of the situation, which is dangerous.

his ways of thinking are opposite, Ran and Shinichi are from totally opposite worlds, Ran does not fit into the plot, she is there by script and the author disguises it as coherent. While Shinichi uses his speeches to convince the People, Ran is short fuse, and uses his strength to chastise and threaten.

Currently, Ai collaborates with Conan, in the last case Ai smiled for solving the case with Shinichi and helping the entity. it is obvious that they are becoming one.17-616a2ba7050f1.jpg9-618bcf1709f04.jpg

If I hate Ran it is for hundreds of reasons, but it is not necessary that I hate the shinRan as some people think, it is the same Ran that makes me hate the relationship. Why say it if they can see it?

Spoiler

11-60a3fc3f6e6b1.jpg9.jpgtumblr_inline_pfikkl7COi1qggaiv_500.png6-60a4346fd58dc.jpg2-60a4351d22742.jpg3-60a43522ced53.jpg13-60a4355bbb913.jpg14-60a43561983a4.jpg13-60a43ffc111e2.jpg14-60a440015800d.jpg

Just see that Ran is moody, whimsical, self-centered, histrionic, and jealous. Conan doesn't even come close to this. That in the most everyday moments of her smiling doesn't mean anything, because when the scene focuses on her, he shows her true face.

"I don't think Haibara and Conan fit together at all, because the way they think is too different"

I don't know where you get that from. it is evident that you do not follow the plot. if ai pinna from a different way to Conan is because Conan is impulsive, Ai makes him see the reality of the situation, which is dangerous.

her ways of thinking are opposite, Ran and Shinichi are totally opposite worlds, Ran does not fit into the plot, she is there by script and the author disguises it as coherent. While Shinichiusa his speeches to convince the People, Ran is short fuse, and uses his strength to chastise and threaten.

Currently, Ai collaborates with Conan, in the last case Ai smiled for solving the case with Shinichi and helping the entity. it is obvious that they are becoming one.